Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Das Boo posted:

This one looks like a Pokemon!

This is a harvestman, voted 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

is it ok to post about other little arthropod friends itt? they get a bad rap but im a big fan of house centipedes, they're like lil housecats (fast ambush predator, loves warmth, spends significant time grooming itself, free pest control)

also they use their own legs to lasso bugs

:kimchi:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
^^ YES! ^^

Dzhay posted:

This is a harvestman, voted 1.

I AM ALSO ACCEPTING SNAILS.

THEY'RE SLIMY BUNNIES.

And here's a leggy cow:

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020
Fun fact: the human race would go extinct without spiders

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

oh man that lil' cow

im playing bug fables rn (which is an awesome game everyone should play) and this seems topical

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivv-F-q81tA

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAheSfKEbHA

quote:

After dining, centipedes clean themselves. They have a grooming structure near the mouth. It’s a groove covered with hairs through which antennae and legs can be passed to remove dust and dirt. They clean their appendages from the base to the tip in a meticulous and unchanging order, starting with the antenna then legs on one side of the body, from front to back. After one side is done, they do the other. And they keep track; if interrupted while grooming, the centipede resumes where it left off. If a leg is missing, the centipede will try to clean it when its turn comes.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

I love anime.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
What about bats. Do we accept bats

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Bats are bugs, spiders are bugs, ergo, bats are spiders

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I love spiders but scorpions wig me out and that video of the mini mouth claws emerging to clean the big claws made my skin crawl off my body :pwn:

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

you can hug spiders. You cannot hug anime

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

an excellent thread for an excellent critter. thanks to the nature threads here on these wonderful internet forums i learned the truth about jumping spiders. they are my friends and i will pick up as many of them as i want to. one weird trick exterminators don't want you to know.

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow
Spiders are rad

My boyfriend's 7 year old had to write a report on creepy crawlers and he chose spiders. He had to write a second report on Canadian animals and chose spiders. I hope he gets to do favorite animal next and go for the spider trifecta.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I'm from Buenos Aires and I say kill em all!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Why is her eye visible through her hair? What bullshit artist is this?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

its all nice on rice posted:

Why is her eye visible through her hair? What bullshit artist is this?

Hello, person who has never seen anime

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Devils Affricate posted:

Hello, person who has never seen anime

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Spiders hold many secrets that science has yet to recognize. I myself like to go on spider safaris in the night with a flashlight or IR camera and let me tell you they are doing weird poo poo even in your own backyard.

Like this one dude, looking kinda like a house spider but a bit hairy and with thicker, shiny legs, sitting on a wall and wiggling its butt and body from side to side like a cat preparing to jump at something. What are you doing little dude? No one knows, it's an unheard of behavior from a spider that probably doesn't exist.

So get out there and check out those weird guys, who knows what you will see.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I hate flies, mosquitoes and clothes moths. Hence I like spiders. I wouldn't want one as a pet though.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Not a huge fan of house spiders, especially the ones with tiny bodies and big fuckoff legs that sort of clumsily amble towards you but I understand we why need them and I appreciate the job they do for us humans.

I love Tarantulas though, my ex-housemate had a Chilean Rosehair and I used to let it sit on my head whenever I was drunk. We used to have unsuspecting houseguests come over and do shitloads of ketamine then we'd get her spider out and freak them out with it.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

That time Lieutenant Reginald Barclay "devolved" into a half man half spider:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Remember that movie where the guy's girlfriend randomly turns into a huge spider at the end?

I'm sure it was some allegory bullshit but I prefer to think it was more of a Meet the Applegates situation.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Or like in Metamorphosis where dude wake up like "AAAAHHH poo poo IM A BUG"

that poo poo is so funny, just crawlin' around doin fun bug stuff.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Dell_Zincht posted:

Not a huge fan of house spiders, especially the ones with tiny bodies and big fuckoff legs that sort of clumsily amble towards you but I understand we why need them and I appreciate the job they do for us humans.

Harvestmen, or "daddy longlegs" as they're known scientifically, aren't spiders and they don't have fangs or even silk glands. But they are spider adjacent.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Mooey Cow posted:

Harvestmen, or "daddy longlegs" as they're known scientifically, aren't spiders and they don't have fangs or even silk glands. But they are spider adjacent.

Whatever dude they have no concept of personal space so gently caress them

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

Spinz posted:

Here's a pic I took of a spider shortly after I got this phone, the Galaxy s8 camera kicks serious rear end

I have a Galaxy as well, they are too shelf phones.

I love spieders as well. My favourite is the portia jumping spider. Its pretty khu.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Dell_Zincht posted:

Whatever dude they have no concept of personal space so gently caress them

How about you move out of their home

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

How about you move out of their home

I was here first

(probably)

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poecilotheria_metallica

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
hey OP!

I HATE spiders! I love to stomp on them and squish them!!

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I always used to catch spiders and let them go outside, but I read somewhere that they can't adapt quickly to temperature changes and they might die.

So, now I just pretend to set them free outside but in reality I just relocate them to a quieter part of the house.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

EorayMel posted:

All I see is:

Big Centipede posted:

Unrelated to BudK, but that pic is a very venomous tarantula called Heteroscodra maculata and I once had one run up my sleeve and hunker down in my armpit. I had to use a long wooden spoon to gently coax it down to my wrist so I could recapture it.
That's all.
Thank you.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Jesus lol imagine trying to stay clam while this is in your drat armpit

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I do not like spiders, but most of the spiders posted here are pretty bad rear end.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

here's a funny spider moment between dr. who and kevin hart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYoHjiqRgsk

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

mods?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Rad-daddio posted:

I always used to catch spiders and let them go outside, but I read somewhere that they can't adapt quickly to temperature changes and they might die.

So, now I just pretend to set them free outside but in reality I just relocate them to a quieter part of the house.

I've never heard that before. It sounds like another variation of "they're adapted to indoors." I don't think it's true. Some indoor spiders are like cave spiders, adapted to scarce food and water, but if you find a wolf spider or something inside you can just take it out.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Children of Time is a good sci fi book about a civilization of spiders.

My favorite spiders are the little jumpy bois that I find on my back steps all summer.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Jumping spiders are objectively the GOAT spiders, especially that one that goes all shadow of the colossus on way bigger dumber spiders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

naem posted:

it took nature a really long time to evolve jaws for some reason- early fish were pretty much worms that swam with an open mouth and giant scorpion like creatures ruled the oceans and also were among the first to crawl onto land.

“How to get food? Claws! How to put food in hole? More claws!!”

Once fish had jaws and teeth they got a big competitive edge

Hey, when the only tool you have is legs, every problem looks like a ... thing that you messily devour by tearing it apart with your horrifying leg-mouth.