Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Coxswain Balls posted:

Flag of the Tahltan Nation, representing the houses of the Crow clan and the Wolf clan.

I particularly like this one, and the Haida one of course, for homer reasons I guess, but thanks for sharing all of them. Are the two vertical bands along the hoist a common motif in North American indigenous flags? I noticed it in the NunatuKavut one too.

A good poster posted:

This is a flag for a potential breakaway nation comprised of Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia. I initially liked the colors of the bars representing clear blue sky and green fields, but then I realized the unintentional (or not?) connotation of all white where the people would be.

It's not in any way intentional for the Doug, but I think that is the intention behind the flag that actual northwest white nationalists use:

(spoilered for NSFW-ish nazi flags)

For the Doug, the intention of the white band is to represent the cloudy skies and snowy mountain peaks. The Doug isn't really used by white supremacists, and instead mostly used by sports fans, or independent-minded people more driven by ecology than racial bigotry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

To make the new thread more confusing, have these:

Cyprus

Kosovo

United Nations

:v:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Grouchio posted:

Ooooh a flag thread! Can I post my takes on certain flags?

No, debate and discussion of flags in the flag thread of the debate and discussion forum is forbidden.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah this is pretty great. Something that might be under appreciated is how the ends of the rays work out to seemingly perfect thirds, or the colour balance going on.

Ikasuhito posted:

Idk I've always been rather partial to the other finalist.

I like this one too, but I prefer the simplicity of the modern one, both in terms of colour and geometry

While we're posting Canadian flags and "flags in flags" messes:

The last original Canadian red ensign, before they adopted a simplified version, which lasted until the Maple Leaf:

Which is a flag frequently co-opted by Canadian white nationalists because it harkens to an era when Canada was still mostly while. Be wary of any Canadian that flies this flag with pride.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The curves represent the "feeling of driving along the coastline"

Ahaha gently caress this being a thing to make a flag of.

Oh I may as well cross post my flag designing post in the map thread:

Jehde posted:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The Union Jack represents the UK, namesake and colonizer of British Columbia. The sun represents the gods, the only ones who can afford Vancouver property

In google image searching for the original flag, I noticed this reddit redesign as the seventh result. I liked the gist of it enough that I went ahead and mocked up a republican (as in anti-monarchist) version of it, copying elements from the redesign:

The top left green triangle represents Vancouver Island, the top right Haida Gwaii, and the three along the bottom represent the Coastal, Rocky, and Interior mountains. Still with the sun setting over the Pacific. It's not perfect, but it doesn't have a Union Jack or a crown, so it's objectively better. :colbert:

Jehde fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 24, 2020

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Femtosecond posted:

British Columbian flag badly needs a redesign, and well the province needs a rename as well. The issue is raised every once in a while but doesn't seem like there's much push to change anything.

There's actually a lot to work with here. Simply get rid of the union jack, simplify the sun and add some green mountains somewhere to to even things out.

What you'd rename the province to however I have no good idea.

Jehde posted:

Jehde posted:

The top left green triangle represents Vancouver Island, the top right Haida Gwaii, and the three along the bottom represent the Coastal, Rocky, and Interior mountains. Still with the sun setting over the Pacific. It's not perfect, but it doesn't have a Union Jack or a crown, so it's objectively better. :colbert:

I don't have any good candidates for what the region now commonly known as British Columbia should be called though. All I can think of are lame things like Pacifica.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

S'nice.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Banana Canada posted:

Cascadia. Washington and Oregon had their chance to be the OG. :colbert:

The flag should be a vexillologically-fixed version of the Doug Flag. Something like this one except expand middle part so it has more of a Canadian pale and further simplify the tree. Or lose the tree and go with something more locally specific like a simple version of the the Haida art as seen in the Haida flag or perhaps an outline of a totem pole in a style similar to the flag of Nunavut.

And it would thematically match the existing flag of neighbouring Yukon:

Unfortunately this orientation of the Cascadian tricolour was co-opted by white nationalists. Not that it cannot be used at all, just gotta use caution to avoid normalizing white supremacy elements in Cascadian movements.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

exmarx posted:

scheveningen

merionethshire

This is the good poo poo. Three animals confused as they are thrust upon some vague flag motif.

I also like heraldry, as a primative and regimental form of vexillology of sorts. I can't think of any particular coats of arms to share right now though.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

It's really hard to argue against the Estonian flag because of that photo. Hate tricolours? Hate the colours used? Too bad.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this lovely loving flag:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Bhutan, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Seychelles, Sri Lanka

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

White-washing the red gives some anti-communism vibes. Why the red? Why not another of the three colours? Why to white?

Gonna have to give this one to Zug.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

pik_d posted:

I know discord images usually work but whatever this is doesn't show up for me, can you rehost it?

Know of a free image hosting provider that doesn't require logging in or anything?