Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Beamed posted:

Does anyone have a clue how to get an Ambassador in Old World? I was hoping to, uh, beg my way out of an early war where Egypt was just overrunning me, but it tells me I need "Ambassador". My assumption is I need a character with that trait, in which case, I've already hosed up?

There's a tech that lets you select an ambassador (I think it's Administration, but considering how often things are being tweaked in EA don't take my word for it) and once you have it you can assign any valid diplomatic character in your court as one. It's one of the buttons in the upper right area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

ikanreed posted:

Master of Magic has DLC now???

The company doing the rerelease picked up a total overhaul mod called Caster of Magic that's been worked on and updated for years and repackaged it as DLC. IIRC the same person doing the mod is also helping out with the MoM sequel that's being bandied about, though I'm less sure about that one.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The game isn't even out of Early Access yet, I somehow doubt we're going to get any news on a Steam release before its actual release date, whenever that is.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Bloodly posted:

Why do you have hope? One of the things that makes Master of Magic what it is is balance is a joke. The thinking's different, which means the game won't be anywhere near what you hope.

Have you played the Casters of Magic mod?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

Anyone try the Planetfall mod for Civ IV? It’s a mod that tries to recreate Alpha Centauri in Civ IV’s engine. Is it any good?

I quite enjoy it, though be mindful the mod author fell off the face of the earth while the mod was still being worked on and being tweaked so it's a bit messy, but as far as I recall you can play through a full game with any faction just fine.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

At the very least, you can set minimum resource quantities and at least in my experience, that sometimes kicks the AI into gear and more commercial freighters will bring said resource.

Edit: So....after a few hundred hours of play Civiliation VI since its release, I only just realized now that there's a fully integrated map-pin system for denoting places of interest. I'd seen the icon for it but never bothered to check it out. One of my gripes with my last game was "I wish I could easily see which resources I haven't improved." Well, now I know. I am a very dense gamer most days.

I'm reasonably sure the map pins in their current form were integrated from a UI mod a bit after Gathering Storm came out, so I don't blame you for not noticing it.

I can't recall if the game even had a barebones version of that feature before that.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The big thing pointing to FFH2's greatness is how it's been (and somewhat continues to be) modded itself almost as much as the base game.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Infidelicious posted:

Competition in 4x revolves around economies, and your military is economic power made manifest. Trying to add tactical depth by forcing armies to spread out muddies the water, and wastes everyone's time.

This x 1000

If you want to play a tactical war game, go play a tactical war game. Playing a tactical war game clumsily grafted onto a 4X is almost always getting the worst of both worlds.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

ChatGPT is about as intelligent as a Civ AI (that is, it isn't), it's just better at doing what it was designed to do than any Civ AI.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

It's not an AGI in any shape or form, but arguing that it's no more intelligent than the Civ AI requires a definition of intelligence that I can't imagine is very useful.

You are absolutely correct, defining intelligence in terms of computer algorithms is, in fact, not very useful, because that's not what computers do. What computers do is compute, it's in the drat name. They're logic processing engines designed to perform math quickly and efficiently. That's incredibly useful, even transcendently so in many applications, but that's not intelligence.

Jack Trades posted:

Let's go back to text parser interfaces.

This but unironically

Super Jay Mann fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Apr 8, 2023

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

If you want to see how machine learning algorithms perform when tasked with playing a complex single-player game with consistent mechanics and movement rules but random maps and asymmetric and highly chaotic entity interactions, you should read up what happened when competing teams were tasked with writing an AI to play Nethack.

Spoiler: It didn't go so well for the ML folks

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Jabor posted:

Why does it matter that the competition goal doesn't match what the organisers were really hoping for? All the teams knew what the actual, measured goal was, and the goal in question was actually much easier for a NN-based AI to figure out than what an actual human would consider to be "best play". Even with that advantage, NNs still got absolutely crushed by traditional AI, and even the best "NN-based" entries actually mostly used a traditional hand-written AI and only delegated to a NN in specific scenarios.

That doesn't seem like it turned out "pretty well" at all if you think that NNs are some sort of magic crutch for producing good AI with way less effort than doing it by hand!

Yeah, I should’ve been been specific about the fact that the most damning thing about the Nethack competition isn’t that the ML algorithms were woefully inadequate compared to humans, it’s that they were woefully inadequate even compared to just writing a bot to play the game like people have been doing for decades.

Even in Chess, one of the most famous and most favorable demonstrations of the power of neural net AI, powerful chess engines still outperform those neural net AIs by a long shot.

GlyphGryph posted:

Is that what people think? AI is hard, though, including neural nets.

The fundamental philosophy underpinning all ML research is that these AIs will eventually be able to solve any problem so long as you throw enough data at it. No need for us to actually design algorithms to solve specific problems, the computer will figure that stuff out for us and we can just sit back and watch it all happen.

That sounds a hell of a lot like a “magic crutch” to me.

Super Jay Mann fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 10, 2023

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Making an AI pretend to be human is about the worst possible application of AI I can think of, and also simultaneously the one application people are actually excited about. That is not an encouraging sign.

Trying to engage in real person-to-person diplomacy with a machine during a game sounds like a hell that no one in the world would enjoy more than once as a novelty.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Deception in general is an integral part of human (hell, any animal) communication that just can’t be done with current or future ML models of its ilk. They can lie, sure, and they can to an extent “verify” if something a user inputs into them conflicts with their training data, but that’s not really what “deception” in communication entails. It’s a huge, massive blind spot in language modeling in particular that can’t be addressed with just more time and more data.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Lowen posted:

Hexarchy feels like an improvement to me, but it's going for more of a Civilization type game compared to Polytopia's Empire.
I didn't like Ozymandias. For starters the gameplay is based on present maps rather than RMG like a proper 4X.

Well Ozymandius's core design isn't tailored towards arbitrary performance on an arbitrary map, it's oriented entirely towards preset scenario design. In essence the goal is understanding the best ways to use the game's mechanics to win in one of several predetermined starting positions, which is different but not really "less" 4X than any other game of its ilk.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

If you want 4X AI that can actually be challenging then just play Through the Ages digitally.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Civilization already fixed the problem of "unit designers" ages ago. They're called Promotions. In ideal balance, promotions should provide all of the tactical utility of a dedicated unit designer with none of the tedious micromanagement.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I wonder how many X's you can conceivably expand(heh) to before your genre descriptor collapses into total incredulity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

metasynthetic posted:

4Xs were originally a subgenre of TBS games, which overwhelmingly support a slower pace of play vs RTS games. Even if many of the games in the genre now aren't technically turn based anymore, they're still commonly much slower games to play.

Also, it's not a requirement for 4Xs to give the player fine control over the details of combat engagements (some do, some don't), where practically every RTS game does. Half the 4X's out there have combat that just consists of comparing a number on each side, with a bonus or two allowed for favorable terrain / rock paper scissors matchups and not much else.

It’s worth noting that one of the most successful and influential RTSes of all time, Age of Empires, is very intentionally a “What if we made Civ but it were an RTS” kind of deal, which makes sense given the director of the game, Bruce Shelley, literally co-created Civilization with Sid. It’s only natural that the success of that series would result in a lot of the design language of 4X games codified by the original Civ to seep into the RTS genre over time. That’s how genre evolution tends to work after all.