Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Mandatory Assembly posted:

This isn't _exactly_ a 4X game but I figured this was the best thread for it:

I'm trying to remember the name of a relatively recent game (from within the last 5 years or so) from an Eastern European studio. Fantasy medieval setting with Slavic flavour: there was some kind of great titanomachy and the gods are all dead. You run a settlement of characters and set them to work in various jobs, but also mount expeditions out into the world. When you get into combat, it's card-driven and your deck is built out of the characters you brought.

This ringing any bells for anybody?

thinking that's Thea. i played the first one and there is a sequel which i have not played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Fuligin posted:

this actually sounds pretty good, loathe as I am to give brad anything. hell you could cut everything out of that diary except 'kael from fall from heaven 2 is back as lead designer' and i'd be sold

yeah, i want to see what the fall from heaven guy can do but i don't want to give Brad any money. such a dilemma.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Bug Squash posted:

I'm not holding much hope. It's a sequel to a not great game, taking inspiration from two other not great games.

Is the CEO still that guy that keeps harassing his female employees or am I thinking of a different monster?

well not officially, he sued the woman who accused him and forced her to write him an apology letter as part of the settlement.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

THE BAR posted:

Wasn't he the bee guy?

yup

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

he framed the letter and mounted it on his office wall.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Neophyte posted:

Master of Magic is getting a remake from Slitherine and Muha Games for sometime in 2022.

:pray:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Bug Squash posted:

Something like the universe of Dune just before the events of the first book go down would be fabulous. Dozens of competing houses trying to accumulate planets and power, and weirdo factions trying to breed superman or corner a market. All held together with mad social science and drugs.

weren't pdox planning on doing something like Dune but ultimately decided against it? feel like i read that somewhere.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i'm no good at this slipway thing but i think it's got something cool going so i'll stick with it.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the first master of orion was just sliders.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

ikanreed posted:

Hot take, sliders are bad, and they abstract away the fun of micromanaging an empire

the designer who finds the happy medium between sliders and individual buildings will be crowned king.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i always enjoyed the gimmicky space pirate build where you just steal everyone's ships with your burly combat bear men. mistake to take it out.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i was a little leery of checking out humankind but it turns out to be on gamepass which i still have for some reason. so here we go.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

nessin posted:

I know it's not really a 4x but close enough. Has anyone been playing Star Dynasties? I think it was early access but just got it's 1.0 release and I had it on my wishlist for when that happened. Just wondering if anyone whose played it recently would recommend buying it?

i haven't played it yet but looks like it has a demo.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i didn't even know there was a demo for that so thanks for posting about it .

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
sounds like the old sometimes it's better to not have a demo problem.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i will join forces with our Alien friends to block the imposition of the Amero on these United States.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Mayveena posted:

The classic one is Alan Emrich's Master of Orion. He did a few more as well, you can probably find his titles on Wikipedia.

then he went on to lead moo3 :negative:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
there's a Master of Magic remake coming out in the not too distant future.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1623070/Master_of_Magic/

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Beefeater1980 posted:

Emperor of the Fading Suns is one of my favourite 4Xs from my childhood and I just discovered it got an update (which is nuts, the last time this was updated was like 20 years ago). I think it’s still only on gog.com. The update seems to be folding in a lot of the work done by modders over the years.

It’s a very old game so don’t expect much by way of graphics or a modern UI, but if you want a Dune / 40K 4X, there’s still none better IMO.

i tried this years ago and bounced off it but might be worth another shot for less than 5bux.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
good lord was Civ 4 a GOAT.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Beefeater1980 posted:

Civ 2 was nuts for mods too, remember spending lunchtimes at high school downloading mods from Apolyton onto an actual physical disc. Someone did this 4-part mod of defending Russia in WW2 that was incredible: part 1 you just get smashed by panzers and dive bombers and then gradually you build back and the wave starts going in the other direction.

Civ 2 was my introduction to game modding. i had a bunch of futuristic techs and units for the end game added, mechs n poo poo. kicked rear end.

THE BAR posted:

Don't think I've ever actually played 4. Huh!

play it! play the Fall from Heaven mod also.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
god you've got me actually thinking about reinstalling that after who knows how many years.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the thing about the xcom shooter, iirc, is that it was announced before the xcom reboot, which was in active development. people were like "why are you not just making a new xcom" and then it turned out they were. all a bit silly.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

i had read that this was a pretty straight 1 to 1 port but if they're gonna add new stuff i may take a look.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Fall from Heaven is one of the best 4x games ever, if you have any interest in the genre you need to get in there.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i don't enjoy Stellaris at all as a map painter game and i kinda hate doing wars in it. but it's great as a sci fi RPG story generator, at least until you run through all the content. the new dlc is adding more story and rpg stuff so i'm looking forward to it.

when i was a wee child i would play master of orion and record the significant events of the game in a little notebook, like i was recording the history of some great nation. wish i still had the notebook, probably would be hilarious.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Elemental has the one-two punch of being intensely boring and being dev'd by a company run by a real mother fucker. he's a lovely ring wing libertarian and IN ADDITION he tried to steal the intellectual property of my #1 favorite game of all time, Star Control 2.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
we're all just living in the box that MOO and Civ made.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
they need to do a SMAC remake like that MOM remake. just polish up the graphics on level 3 and modernize the interface. you don't have to add anything else. i wouldn't say no if you did but...

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
in addition there's no diplomacy, alliances, that kind of thing... which, i mean its warhammer, whaddaya expect. but if you're expecting to have options other than KILL EVERYONE this isn't it.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
oh how i loved turning Sister Miriam's entire continent into an inland sea with PBs. feels good, man.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
all the factions get up to some off-putting things,even the "good guys." it's the future, you're building a civilization on a planet that is literally alive, poo poo's going to get weird.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
a substantial portion of my Stellaris playtime is forgetting to close it before going to bed and it just runs all night and day until i got home from work.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Anno posted:

Save your money imo and wait for Age of Wonders 4 next week! Haven't been hyped for a 4xish game in a good long while.

cannibal halfling horde incoming ,whoop whoop.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the leader system was in desperate need of a revamp. i mostly just ignored it previously.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Anno posted:

I’ve had this on the old wishlist for awhile and have time for a new map game this weekend so I’m excited. Is it something like the Warlock games where it’s basically all war all the time against everyone?

40ks motto is “IN THE GRIM DARKNESS OF THE FAR FUTURE THERE IS ONLY WAR.” and Gladius leans into it. no diplomacy whatsoever.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Future Video GamesUK posted:

It just seems really weird when there are at least two full-featured Trek mods for Stellaris anyway. I assume people who want to play 'Stellaris but Trek' are just playing those.

i never messed with it but i read about one of those and you could even play as mirror universe Feds and stuff like that. you could play as Pakleds. i don't know why they ever wanted to try and compete with the kind of crazy people who would make a mod with so much content and all for free.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Wardell tried to literally steal the Star Control name and characters from the guys who created it.

i tried to find the photo of his car (porshe 911) parked across multiple parking spots including a handicapped one but i couldn't locate it.

i don't know how good Galciv 4 is and don't care.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
to be honest AI generated text isn't much of a downgrade from the writing in previous stardock games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i know games writing is generally not so great but go read Brad's old elemental novel if you really hate yourself.