Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Put Sword of the Stars on there for the what a shame factor.

I like EL more than ES. Mostly due to the combat. In EL you can design your unit and think up a tactic or role you want your unit to play. Some of the faction's unit line up can result in very diverse army play style. In ES I feel it's such a waste to have so many systems and art asset tied into something that's so hands off. Space 4X really need to think up a more interesting combat system than laser counter shield and kinetic counter armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Age of Wonders 3 has a lot of variety to offer. Lots of different play style thanks to the combination of classes and races. You can go for all terrain strategic mobility with druid, you can have mass concealed army with rogue, you can outproduce your opponent with and win with brute force with warlord and dreadnought. Also I think the AI is better in AoW3 than in Planetfall (though I may just remembered wrong because I haven't played AoW3 for awhile). Economy model is simpler...you have pop, your colony annex new land and PoI and resource node generate resources for you.

Planetfall has a more complex economic model but basically you can specialized your colony based on the terrain around your city. It has a new unit modding system so you can customize all your units with different gear so you can adapt to many different situation. Though you need sometimes to get to know all the tools the different faction and secret tech offer. Graphic is much better, though I wish they'd work on the Sfx and animation more. Some ability literally has no sfx or sound or animation.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Isn't Stellaris pretty much EU4 in space after the exploration phase?

I feel Sword of the Stars, Sins of a Solar Empire, and Star Rulers are all interesting. I would buy a game similar to their vein with better production value and some new ideas. Sword of the Stars actually manage to make ship design interesting with RTS style battle where instead of the extremely boring laser countering shield and kinetic countering armor garbage you have actual positioning and more varied interaction (though yes...there's literally laser countering armor and kinetic countering shield in that game, but it's much more nuanced). Battle often devolve into a clusterfuck brawl or endless kiting, but with better design and polish it can be truly great.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1264280/Slipways/

This may be similar to what you are looking for? They have a 8bit proof of concept somewhere. Anyways, you shoot probes around to reveal the map then plan out your colonies that supply and demand different resources. You can research tech to open up new options like solar farm world to produce energy (wild card resource) or strap rockets on planet to move it around. No combat, each game's only an hour or two.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I don't get why the AI is so terrible at governering. If anything AI should be good at optimizing output. Instead they are making GBS threads out unneeded buildings and districts, having them sit at idle and eating up maintenance, and I don't really remember in what other ways Stellaris AI are terrible because I stopped giving them anything to run when they start building the 20th mining district when the planet only has 3 pop.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Nothing overwhelming about it. At first you'll have very few units and they can only move like 2-3 squares. You go around capturing points of interest, train new units, then work your faction mechanic to get more powerful unit. There's no scripting like in Dominion. It's more like an adventure game played in a TBS format.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Rime posted:

After like five or six years of development the much-anticipated 4X Eador followup by designer Alexey Bokulev, Spire of Sorcery, has released into early access aaaaaand....

It's flopped onto steam as a deckbuilding roguelike FTL ripoff, with precisely zero of the features advertised during the many years it was in development?! Feels like the devs couldn't finish the original vision so they just decided to rip off Slay the Spire (which seems to be a common trend right now) and say gently caress it.

Post-mortem on this one is gonna be interesting. :smith:

Are we thinking about the same game?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/637050/Spire_of_Sorcery/
This one?

It plays nothing like a deck builder or FTL besides the very basic roguelike ideas. Anyways, it's kind of funny having three mages eating random herb that makes them look high and turn their hair blue then struggle to open the most mundane chest and blowing up ruins and choking on dust then set themselves on fire.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 5, 2021

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Probably Sword of the Stars? Always some random events happening, and many of the events will escalate or not depending on your action. Lots of different ship parts that actually changes your tactic instead of just making your numbers bigger, allowing more interesting interaction instead of just putting shield on your ship against laser, put armor on your ship against ballistic.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I don't know if I'd say Star Ruler 2's ship design system is good. It's certainly meaningful in that player designed ship can be multiple magnitude better than the default design (at the same construction cost), and there is enough components and limitations where you can make interesting choice in your designs. However, it takes way too long to do so you pretty much have to design your ships before hand then just load the templates once you are in-game. It also takes a lot of time to test your design if you want to make sure it behave the way you imagine it to.

It suffers from the same gradient problem where while running a galaxy spanning empire you are spending as much time colonizing a whole solar system as designing one ship.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

How does the real-time combat work in Hero's Hour? I always get nervous when I see that because I expect either a frantic click fest or an overly long sequence which may as well be an FMV. Having auto-calc battles being an option is sometimes ok, but normally you get punished for doing that. I love the obvious queues they took from the Heroes of Might and Magic series though.

You position your blob of units and they fight it out with the opposing army. You can give movement order to try to disengage or flank somewhat, but space for maneuvering and kiting is limited. You can also cast spells. The main dislike I have for the system is that the number of units on the field is very limited.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
There's no compare tool so it's a huge pain to hover over each icon to try to compare all the stats (that's often not explained anywhere). Anyways, area weapon and torpedo seems to be doing good work, they naturally counter the space monster and pirate station you'll be fighting early on. Though you'll probably want to couple that with some PD so your ship won't waste time trying to shoot down strikecraft with torpedoes. Otherwise it seems it's once again back to laser counters armor, ballistic counters shield sci-fi convention.

Firing arc also doesn't seem like a big deal since ships closes very fast into range to broadside each other. Though maybe you can have a long range kiting fleet with weapons in the back (some Teekan ships seems to have all weapons in the back).

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

MinorRed posted:

I thought it popped up a comparison when you hover over a module while you have another one selected. I'm at work so I can't check but I could swear it did.

That's only in ship design screen. In research this option is not available.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Jarvisi posted:

What determines when your territory expands in dw2? Can't see anything in the pedia. I've got lots of stations in blank territory but it won't expand

iirc in the manual it says colony, specially large one extends your border.

chaosapiant posted:

How’s the art and presentation of DW2 for those of you playing? Gooder than DW1?
I bounced off DW1 pretty hard, and actually now that I played DW2 I just went back to try it again and still couldn't really get into it. The presentation in DW2 is better. The way messages and suggestions are displayed made it easier to keep track of what your automation are up to (though after a few hours, I feel I don't even need to be notified or approved for most things). It's easier to organize your fleet with the template system. Ship design is easier and more structured with slots.

I'd say for someone coming from Stellaris, start with a higher tech setting (level 1 or 2) is a good idea, it speeds up the early game, unlocking the basic options for most things so you actually have some choices to make. Leave fleet creation, ship construction, and diplomacy on manual, rest can all be automated.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 14, 2022

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Yes, only positive cash flow can be used to pay for extra research and colony development investment. However, saving can be used to crash research project, doubling research speed.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Sankis posted:

Can you no longer build monitoring stations in the middle of nowhere? Maybe I'm misrembering but i feel like a lot of my time playing DW1 was spent building monitoring stations in deep space

I think once you have the tech researched, select a constructor then holding the right mouse button should give you the option to build monitoring station.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Lampsacus posted:

I've played a bucketload of MOO over the years and have finally moved on to MOO 2. Why does it take so, so long to build anything? I'm talking 30-80+ turns for the cheapest available item. It feels weird to build a colony ship for an in-system colony that will take 90 turns so I can begin to start my empire. And this doesn't feel like just a problem for the beginning turns either, it's like all production times are inflated x8. I've tried fiddling with the citizen icons on the colony screen. Is this just the game? Has MOO ruined me with its snappy gameplay?

Doesn't really jived with what I remembered. Did you touch the game length setting? Otherwise putting your citizens in industry should get things build relatively quickly, more like 10-20 turns unless you are building something way beyond your current capability.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Jarvisi posted:

Migration pacts mean that aliens start settling in your planets and ruin them because they all settle in planets they can't actually habitate and I have no idea how to disable it.

My homeworld managed to get a space station built in an ion storm and I'm not sure how. It only took 50 tries.

I think you can probably change the population control on colony to control it? The auto management for colony population may not be working as in every colony the AI seems to just let people come and go freely and it took me multiple attempts across multiple games to finally find the button to set population policy. (button left panel, right side of the population number there's a white icon of a person's silhouette to have to click on)

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

queeb posted:

so in DU2, i have some teekans near me that are dying to join me beacuse im awesome aquatic people. but if i send colonists there theyre gonna be super unhappy because its a desert planet. is there a way to have the teekans join me without dumping a bunch of my fish people on their planet?

If you already have other race that's more compatible you can send them instead, otherwise you can migrate the colonists out over time.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Mar 24, 2022

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I find the bottleneck for resource is usually transport. Most of my mining station by mid-game seems to be full at all time. Yet with over 500 freighters servicing 15 colonies many of my planet are low or out of various luxury resource. Not sure what I can do about that? I am not going to manually set stockpile level for each planet depending on how often I estimate it can be supplied for close to 100 different resources, that's insanity.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Newest DW2 patch added this:
FLEET AND SHIP COORDINATION IMPROVEMENTS

- added full Prepare and Attack missions for fleets (attack, raid, capture, bombard). This is the default right-click fleet attack mission type and will also be used by automated fleets. Fleets will now automatically refuel (when need fuel) or waypoint (if need to regroup) before undertaking their attack mission. If they do not need refuelling or regrouping then they will attack the target directly. When refuelling or regrouping the fleet will synchronize their final jump to the attack target.

Should make fleet movement more consistent now.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

LLSix posted:

Are there any good tutorials or LPs for Songs of Syx? All the youtubers I've found so far are pretty bad at the game.

I was hoping to learn how to make a woodcutter work from watching youtube videos since I couldn't figure it out on my own.

To make a woodcutter, mark a forest area you want, but also some empty space so you can place the storage item and auxiliary item to boost efficiency. Larger area increase the number of worker you can employ, but also needs more auxiliary items to reach 100% efficiency.

Woodcutter is more of a later game thing when you have wood consuming industry set up. It's relatively slow compares to just chopping down trees, but it doesn't use up the trees.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Go to your ship design screen where it shows you all your current designs and see if the last 3 columns of each ship updated to the right automation setting you wanted (Design, retrofit, and obsolete)

Wipfmetz posted:

Any advice on colonizing? I accept that a new colony will be a money drain due to being uh, new and on life support from the empire.

But my colonies always get more and more expensive, even if they show populations of 100M or more. I must be doing something wrong.

Make sure the final RACE suitability is over 20. Even with the correct planet type there's still a planet quality modifier that affect race suitability. Anything lower than 20 will slow development and cost maintenance. Also ban unsuitable race from migrating to the planet if that has been a problem.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Not under resource tab, but there is a map overlay option that can show where various type of resource is coming and going.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Omi no Kami posted:

How is Shadows of Forbidden Gods? The concept appeals to me, and it's gotten really good reviews, but I was a bit underwhelmed by the demo- it felt like a lot of really nitpicky clicking to gradually weight 1d100 rolls for every agent on every verb. Does the gameplay ever smooth out, or is it always a lot of really tedious micromanagement?

The demo is quite old (well, it was old when I played it, not sure if they updated it). The current version's mechanics are more flashed out and there's more to do in general. For example, in the current version there is now holy orders that you can infiltrate and influence, and the holy orders in turns can influence they country they are in. Orcs is also changed so you have more things to do with them. For example, you can help them build up pirate fleet, or help them develop monster manger for you to get special monster retinue. Then the version before they added magic which is pretty fun mechanic where you can freeze the world and kill everyone, or inflict vampric curse on a bloodline.

As for lots of clicking, well, with experience you'll figure out what you actually want to do because a lot of actions that's available to you is not very useful by itself. For example, devastating countryside is usually not useful unless it's a larger plan to weaken a kingdom to pave way for an orc invasion. It's also not useful to infiltrate random POI, etc. I think you can also set agent to do certain action on repeat now, so that might help with the clicky aspect.

Art is also improved a bit so it's more consistent and higher quality.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Oct 27, 2022

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Would’ve been nice of them to summarize the update for people who don’t want to watch a 2 hour stream (me).

Based on the discussion in Steam forums the update is just merging all the current beta branch to main brach.
Changes here in a pdf file from the dev, I guess...?:
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/e84b6b1195f99c02508eaec44576651e20230228220840/62c155

Also it was announced two DLC are coming this years with 4 more playable factions and a big expansion will be coming out this year.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Dirk the Average posted:

I liked how Endless Space had tactics cards for combat. It's a nice way to both have some influence on a battle (fight defensively if you have an overwhelming advantage, fight recklessly if you just need to do as much damage as possible, fight from long range then retreat later, etc.), but not have to do a full-blown tactical combat every single engagement. It's a very nice and elegant system in a lot of ways.

I dunno man...I think that might be the idea but in reality most of the cards just seem to cancel each other out or you get an endless amount of card like get a small amount of salvage that doesn't scale or tiny amount of exp.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Every few years I get nostalgiac for Master of Orion 2 and reinstall and crush the computer for a while

are there any more modern spiritual successors that are good? The space theming isn't important, but I really like the ship design and the way you have to pick which techs you actually want and let the others slip away

Endless Legend perhaps. You can design your units, and equipment is quite impactful. While you can research all technologies in Endless Legends, the more tech you have the more expensive research becomes, and you usually want to research higher tier tech when they become available so it's not practical to research everything.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Stellaris Nexus's demo is out with the current NextFest event.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1983990/Stellaris_Nexus/

It's a simultaneous turn 4X. The currently available game mode is basically a VP game mode where you can pursue a variety of strategy to get VP, including holding the central VP location, signing as many diplo pact with other factions as you can, build monuments, or pursue the changing council goals of each session. The gimmick of the game is kind of an order system where the command you can give depends on the edict you draw (or you may draw the politic edict, which let you trade resources to pick edict). Factions are unique with different faction leader having different skill tree and I am guessing different distribution of the cards (agenda of the leader), as well as perks and sometimes unique faction mechanic/resources.

Combat wise there's sort of a rock-paper-scissor system of raider (fast ship that can double move) counters range (carriers that can strike the neighboring system without exposing itself) counters capital (brick of firepower and armor). Within each archetypes there's additional variation you can unlock with technology (for example the basic raiders are destroyers, but with research you can get cloaked specter ships). Your ship can further be augmented with fleet role, which gives them additional ability (for example, survey fleet allows you to explore with your fleet for free when they are on top of an anomaly.

Research is kind of different in that instead of getting research point that you accumulate to unlock things, you get research by simply getting the research edict, but the amount of tech you can have depends on your research building.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 19, 2023

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Anyone try the Pegasus Expedition, the new "narrative based 4x" on steam?

I tried many times to get into it, but can never really get past the opening chapter. The pacing is horrendously slow, it takes way too many turns of sitting around waiting for income then even longer to have your ships repaired and built. There seems to be a lot of systems there, like diplomacy, colony development and research, but I simply can't get that far due to the pacing.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Also why would people buy it for $50 when it's on gamepass?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
How about https://store.steampowered.com/app/282590/Star_Ruler_2/ Star Ruler 2

Has many unique systems. Ships move in fleet so there's not that many moving pieces. You colonize planets to supply different types of goods to planets, which in turn allow the civilian economy to grow related industries automatically. You can also build state owned buildings to shore up whatever resources you need. Also, it has an unique diplomacy system where you generate influence and play different cards for action, and a system to basically make people vote for whatever insane proposals you put forward to screw other empire over.

edit: ah wait, you say no space ones, welp

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
In The Last Federation the bird people are the pacifist communal race that's bad at space combat and ground combat but good at planetary bombardment as suicide bombers.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Shadow Empire has PBEM, Dominion 6 is coming out soon...

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Stellaris Nexus is having an open beta right now, featuring some new content over the NextFest demo that came out a few months ago (a few new factions, some SP story missions).
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1983990/Stellaris_Nexus/

This is a fast-pace, simultaneous turn 4X game (one hour match). The main mode is pretty fun FFA with many viable strategies present. There are a lot of interesting decisions to make. For example, tech choice is mutually exclusive at each tier, so researching better ship might lock you out of advanced building, etc...though you can trade tech with other players. The number of order you can give is also limited (kind of like Old Worlds, basically most faction has the influence resources, the more order you give per turn, the more expensive it is to issue further order. Influence is also used as upkeep for planets.) A big mechanic change compares to NextFest demo is that ship is free to build and reinforce, it only cost ammo maintenance. "Repair/damaged" is also no longer a thing, ships are always destroyed. Instead "repair" now determine how many ships the fleet can reinforce.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Dec 11, 2023

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I was bombarded with ads in the lead up to NextFest about "play for free" from Feb 5-15...then it's just a 60 turns demo. I thought it was going to be some novel marketing strategy to go F2P for two weeks.

It ends pretty much when the interesting mechanics are coming into play immediately and not a turn later (both game I attempted ended the moment I have a age 3 building finished).

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Lowen posted:

1. Right now only the devs know victory conditions, the demo didn't go that far.
2. The demo was available for a limited time and is gone now. I think.
3. No, the ages don't work like in Civ6 rise and fall. In the demo, whoever reached an age first locked it in for all other players.
4. Every player needs to research the next age after researching a minimum number of techs from the last age.
The ages apply to everyone in the sense that once a player has locked in a special or normal age, that's the only one that anyone can pick.
5. Presumably yes, but the demo didn't go that far. So the specific religious units and their mechanics are a mystery to everyone except the devs.

There is some discussion of religion mechanic in the last Q&A:

quote:

Could you tell us more about how religion will work and spread?
AND
How major is religion as a mechanic in Millennia? Do different religions offer unique bonuses or are they more aesthetic based?
AND
How will religion be modeled in Millennia? The Theologian video mentioned something called Faith, but it doesn't seem to be a Domain and hasn't been mentioned elsewhere, so I'm not sure what it is.

There’s a lot to Religion in Millennia, so pardon the lengthy answer…

Religion is first introduced in Age IV as an optional mechanic (at least at first). Players can use a Culture Power to found a new religion, or—if another nation’s religion already has gained influence in one of your capital regions—players can choose to adopt the religion instead using an Arts Domain Power.

The regional capital where the religion was founded becomes the Religious Birthplace; if another nation takes control of a religious birthplace, that religion becomes theirs to control. The Crusaders National Spirit is especially built for taking over Religious Birthplaces, for example.

To the point, each population in each region can follow a different religion, and for each population that follows your religion, in any nation’s regions, you gain extra Culture. Once you have a Religion, your region has a new regional need for Faith and you have access to buildings and powers to generate Faith. The more you meet your Faith need, the faster nearby populations convert, spreading your Religion to other regions. Regions with more than one religious following can cause Unrest in that region, but in the end, the religion with the most Faith, and with clever usage of Arts Domain Powers, will garner the most religious followers and Culture bonus.

Once Age VII dawns, a new wrinkle is introduced. Secularism begins to form and grow in power, blocking the formation of new religions and acting as a natural pressure against religious complacency. To prevent populations from leaving your religion to become secular, you must keep improving your Faith output to match.

Play Religion well, and you might be able to achieve a religious victory in the Victory Age of Harmony. Fail to meet your Faith Need, and you may fall into the Crisis Age of Intolerance. - CPG Hudson

I noticed that in a few screenshots we can choose between monotheism and polytheism. Once we choose one will there be events that help us decide on religion?
When you found a religion, you choose the name of the religion, the name of its religious buildings (temples, churches, etc.), and an icon for the religion from a list of options. Monotheism and Polytheism are some of the default options. There is no starting difference between religions. However, certain National Spirits, Governments, and Buildings can affect how your religion and Faith grows and spreads. - CPG Hudson

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Telsa Cola posted:

I never really felt like the customization was weighty or meaningful, which kinda sucked cause that was supposedly a big selling point for the game.

wat....even tier 1 item equipped units outclass units with no equipment with stats bonus and extra capability. Once you get to tier 2 and tier 3 item the gulf is insurmountable for units with no equipment.

edit: Actually I misread, I thought we were talking about Planetfall

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 21, 2024

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

if i really like Stellaris Nexus is regular Stellaris worth getting into? Or are they very different?

They are quite different. Stellaris Nexus is much more focused on doing objectives to secure victory points. There's not much customization, factions and leaders are all preset. No ship designer though, so that's good.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

Thank you for the response! I think you may have misunderstood: Ive only played Nexus and wanted to try regular Stellaris. Is it like a more complex/customizable Nexus? A ship designer sounds fun, why do you say its bad?

Ah sorry, I often see the question the other way around.

Stellaris itself is more freeform. There is a lot more focus on customization, RP, and emergent storytelling. You design your race's ethics and traits, and this will change how you interact with other races and the world. The different factions you encountered will be at different stages of development and will have different personality. Xenophile alien will likely trade and form pacts, while it will only be a matter of time until fanatic exterminator turn on you. It has wayyyyy more systems going for like it population control, different ways of ascension, whole bunch of tech for ship customization to give your ship different computer, different engine, different armor, etc.

Instead of everyone going for the same victory conditions, there really isn't a win condition in Stellaris except survival, though the game does have some crisis events to make things more interesting. It's a lot slower to play. Often you are just waiting for tech to unlock or diplomatic cooldown instead of needing to carefully think about the limited action you can take per turn in Nexus.

Ship designer is just a space 4X joke. Most space 4X game has to include it because Master of Orion has it, but it often ended up being overly fiddly but shallow.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
It's surprisingly hard to lose in TI as the alien heavily throttle themselves based on your progress. Yes, if you flail around for decades not doing anything useful earth will be hosed, but the AI is really bad at (or doesn't particularly care to) actually doing their win condition. There's an achievement for completely getting kicked out of earth and still win the game, for example.