Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Bug Squash posted:

Its been mentioned a few times in the thread already, but do not give money to Stardock.

By all means, make an exception for Offworld Trading Company. It's just published by them, and it's an exceptional game which deserved a lot better than the niche status it ended up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Grevlek posted:

Offworld Trading Company is an absolute beast of a game. I don't play it as often as I should, but it is some of the tensest/nervewracking gameplay I've ever experienced.

It's a very very good game which sadly underdelivered on the solo front at release, and was probably too weird in the first place to succeed. But DLCs have added plenty of campaign options, new planets and, more importantly, a lot of solo scenarios that work out as puzzles. Limited Supply in particular is very neat imho.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

isn't the game still being made by one dude

it's basically Dwarf Fortress: In Space idk what you were expecting

Dunno for everyone else, but here I basically expected a lot of polish on UI and art. It's not like the rest needs much imho, but some prettier sprites/models and something less obviously windows forms for UI would go a long way. Haven't looked at previews, mind, I'll see what it's like from reviews when it comes out.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
That might just be a Kerberos pattern. They also came out with a pretty competent roguelike with The Pit, but since that, they made a half-arsed janky FPS version of it which no one plays, and Pit 2 early access feels like a car crash in slow motion.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Benagain posted:

Has any other game done a fully 3d strategic map? I feel like that's part of the reason that the different drive types didn't work out in stellaris, there's only so much you can do in a 2d space.

Ascendancy, but it's a bit dated by now.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
*inserts generic Stellaris FTL rant*

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

grate deceiver posted:

I think Stellaris' biggest sin is throwing away all the character-based stuff from CK. Without it it's mostly just another bog standard MoO clone. Either that, or a Victoria-style politics and economy simulation would liven it up.

Stellaris biggest sin, imho, is to throw you into a sterile universe where past races are just dormant sectors and randomly seeded archeological sites. And then, a dozen races all starting at the same time from the same point. It'd be a lot better were it simulating the galaxy's history Dwarf Fortress style, resulting in preexisting borders, alliances, conflicts, etc, all documented somewhere (and you can learn about it through, diplomacy, galactic libraries, whatever). And potentially allowing you to choose to either pop in as a fresh FTL species, or to take over a pre-existing empire with its own past.

Stellaris is like playing Europa Universalis on a grey map where each nation starts with the same resources and a single province.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
If wishing for an asymmetric map/start like pretty much every single (multiplayer-enabled) Paradox game before it is unrelated mechanics and turning it into a USS Enterprise Simulator, then fair enough. I'll bow to your expertise.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I'd just run the game vanilla and enjoy the gloriously broken "balance". That's like half the enjoyment of MoM. There are silly spells, silly units, silly races, silly perks, and you can abuse all of it. It's pretty glorious imho.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

THE BAR posted:

Then they should probably just drop it, instead of disappointing people for decades.

I'm confused. Is this the Star Citizen thread?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Libluini posted:

If we want to stay closer to the 4x-genre, Utopia: The Creation of a Nation was also fun to play. Though again I switched to my Nintendo-mouse to play most of it.

TIL that Utopia got consoles releases. :eek:

Great game. I played the poo poo out of it on DOS while a friend was at it on his Atari ST. Pretty amazing the flavour they managed to extract from a relatively static building game. The colourful buildings, varied planet tilesets and spying lore bits carried the game well beyond its otherwise standard-ish building gameplay.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Node posted:

I was reading about Spellforce since people were talking about it, and it doesn't look like it has a random map generator. To me, that seems like a really important feature for a 4X. Is that not the case with the game?

Unless things have changed in the franchise, Spellforce is a story-driven RTS/RPG mix, not a 4X, and doesn't lend itself to random maps.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I liked the ship designer in MoO (original, not remake) because it was new back then and it allowed for funky stuff such as planetary virus bombers.

Distant Worlds is another exception, in a weird niche where you can play the game as a pure ship/station designer and automate everything else.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Endless Space 2 has both flavours too, the "precision" Planet Cracker and the Obliterator which remotely turns an entire system into rubble.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
New Paradox game with every X sold as its own individual DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I really enjoyed the campaign in Age of Wonders 2. It takes you through all magic colours and multiple races, with 2 missions + 1 optional for each magic, and you get to accumulate perks as the campaign goes.