Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The most formal language training I had was from a friend of mine who teaches Japanese and gave me private lessons before I flew over and biked across the country over a couple months. Being ambiguously ethnic meant that people would default to speaking to me in Japanese instead of switching to English, which really helped with getting better at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Speaking of things everyone else has already seen I just blitzed through Toradora and enjoyed it more than I was expecting to. After finishing I found out I yet again watched another Okada show without realizing and ended up liking it. The weather this week did an abrupt switch to pre-winter which matched pretty well with the back half of the series.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Hanasaku Iroha is very good and I'm glad Ohana's genki got me through the first couple episodes when I initially hated everybody else.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I just finished Toradora and liked it more than I thought I would. It is a very good fall/winter anime, and it was hitting 0C last week when I watched it so I enjoyed it from under the covers of my comforter.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Willo567 posted:

Why do Otaku get so mad whenever there's a comedic moment in an anime/manga where the girl gets frustrated at a guy, and hits him, like in Toradora or Ranma?

What kind of otaku gets mad at tsunderes being tsundere?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I'm watching the Antarctica anime and I'm really digging it, the animation during the chase in the second episode looked fantastic. Shirase is such a dork, she's great.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I was wondering if they were going to gloss over the rampant alcoholism that's common on Antarctic research stations. Everything else has been informative and accurate so far, so I'm glad they kept that in!

Shirase being fueled by spite makes me like her more and more. The entire cast works so well together and I wish I wasn't already near the end.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Omochikaeri ! ! !

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Acerbatus posted:

Someone mentioned Infinite Space (the nude maker game) which reminded me of Infinite Stratos. Was that actual good? I'm going back to confront all my childhood anime. :ohdear:

(I can confirm .Hack//Sign is boring as hell with some lovely music.)

I was all in on .hack stuff when it came out, and I'm scared to rewatch it because I know that Yuki Kajiura's soundtrack was doing a lot of the heavy lifting. Good thing I can't do that any more because I lent my boxset to a friend like ten years ago before I moved away and haven't spoken to her since. The hexagonal box was a pain in the rear end, but it has a special place in my heart for being the first anime DVDs I ever got.

I still have the soundtracks that came with it though, which is the most important thing. Last I checked the original four PS2 games sold for stupid money, but that could have since changed.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Phantasium posted:

tbh, you don't want to play the original series, anyway. unless you really like grinding

You're saying that like I don't own all of them and have hundreds of hours clocked across the series.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Furnaceface posted:

Ive never watched Slayers. :(

Please post in the Slayers thread as you watch it because it's still fun to see peoples' fresh reactions to it years after its release. I finally watched it for the first time after seeing that thread and went through the original three seasons and all the movies over the span of a couple weeks and it's all so good.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Any recommendations for movies to put my new-to-me 5.1 system through its paces? Already watched Your Name since it's one of my favorites, and I think I'm gonna re-watch the Evangelion rebuilds next for something more action-y.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

This ruled hard right from the start and while I've heard good things about it for a long time I'm glad the first time I watched it was with surround sound and a booming sub.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Endorph posted:

this is a person who made a terrible webcomic and is really goony about women but has never really hurt anyone in a meaningful way.

The internet has been awful to her but she like maced the people in a Gamestop because Sonic's arms were the wrong color, let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Endorph posted:

oh yeah? so does... the government

It's also bad and hurts people when the government maces random people, hth.

Motto posted:

Who cares? They've done dumbass poo poo but there's innumerable amounts of dumbass poo poo happening every single day without inspiring entire communities of stalkers.

I'm not saying she deserves it like you're implying, just correcting the person saying they "never meaningfully harmed anyone" because they committed assault for such a hilariously ridiculous reason.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Endorph posted:

hint: even after hearing that i still believe it, lol. theres no correction. so go away. its one random thing that, while obviously a bad thing to do, is not something that is likely to inflict any kind of lasting harm, that you're only even aware of because of a concentrated effort to doxx her. who gives a poo poo.

Assaulting someone isn't harmless and I dunno why that's what you're doubling down on. I even said that I agree with you that the way she's been treated is terrible, but your statement about not hurting anyone is just false, especially if it follows a pattern of behaviour like Acerbetus' post seems to allude to. People who endure abuse can also be abusers, and it's not something that should just be swept under the rug.

Acerbatus posted:

There was also something about a hit and run for being kicked out of a gaming store? the aforementioned video came out years ago though, I don't remember the specifics.

I have a friend who works at gameknight and being hit by a customer's car isn't even the worst thing that happened to him. This makes it it okay.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

You get them from oma or baba, duh.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Lumpia are perogies but for Pinoys, and as far as I know you always get them frozen and put them directly into the fryer. My mom repeated that to me like ten times to tell my friend that I was giving a sample pack to. I'm guessing that's because of all the white people she's sold or given batches to that probably let them thaw before cooking.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

macabresca posted:

I'm blessed and live in a country of pierogi and there are some very tasty ones in a grocery store nearby.

You got me curious, are they popular in Winnipeg?

Enough that there's storefronts for them like any other ethnic food, with some places starting chains. It rules.

lmao ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

verbal enema posted:

No thats Roberta and i still haven't seen Roberta's Blood Trail so i HAVE to get on that

i did not watch that vid when someone who wasn't Roberta Remy or Rock appear

Or Dutch

It rules but for some reason a lot of people who saw the originals don't know about Roberta's Blood Trail. A bunch of my friends who've been watching anime on my recommendation because they need something to do during lockdown have seen the originals forever ago and thought they saw all of it, and got psyched when I told them there's more episodes with the badass terminator maid.

It's also really good and I hope more of it gets animated now that there's more material to work with.