Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Nthing the general reaction to Deca-Dence. So glad I decided to watch the first two episodes today before I got spoiled somehow. I was kinda meh after the first episode, then suddenly I wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I can't tell if Misfit of Demon King Academy supposed to be serious or a parody or both at the same time.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

this allusion meant posted:

the man's name is 'anus voldemort' and there's zero effort to attempt to establish stakes or buy-in. the problem is the stuff it's parodying is so reliant on parodying itself and winking at the audience that the only way past is to take everything to the extreme and play it totally straight. hard to say if there's a payoff tho

I actually read a couple chapters of the manga a long time ago and going back to them it seems a bit clearer that it leans closer to being a parody because the MC's inner voice is constantly frustrated with how everyone remembers things wrong after 2000 years. And as a historian with a fascination with ancient Rome that's a pretty good hook.

Also I watched the first episode of Rent-a-Girlfriend and it left me in stitches. I hope there's a lot more of the grandmas.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Coxswain Balls posted:

https://i.imgur.com/DIkBIGr.gifv
This show knows exactly what it is and isn't ashamed one iota, which I respect. It helps that Uzaki is hilarious and Sakurai is good as a straight man to the silliness.

I didn't really feel the first episode but the second is great and this gif is my favorite thing.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Julias posted:

The same scene is in episode 2...

Yes, but the animation isn't nearly as...anatomically detailed as in the manga.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Boob jokes can, in fact, be funny.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Honestly the attitude of "Ugh, imagine laughing at jokes about body parts you absolute buffoon idiot degenerates" seems vaguely like a revival of reactionary prudishness disguised as something else but I'm also probably a buffoon idiot degenerate so what do I know.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
"Did you really think killing me would be enough to make me die?"

That's the greatest line in the history of anything.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Rent-a-Girlfriend doing really well on Anitrendz, it's the highest-rated non-sequel series, Chizuru is the top non-sequel female character, and her and that idiot MC are the #1 ship this week.

Sadly Natsume from Deca-Dence doesn't even rank, which is a goddamn crime.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Tales of Woe posted:

anime originals aren't usually that popular with the seasonal zeitgeist audience who do all those ranking and rating sites. takes longer for them to build a reputation

Yeah but in Rent-a-Girlfriend's case we're talking #3 or #4.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Rent-a-Girlfriend is getting an English dub, which is nice. Lizzie Freeman is playing best girl Chizuru and Aleks Le is worst boy Kazuya.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Surprised but delighted by this.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

RareAcumen posted:

I'm really dense so honestly? Yeah, I'd figure that one out much easier. Lolicon just makes me go 'gross, not gonna check their work out' rather than 'oh poo poo, what did they get caught doing' that I assume pedo alludes to.

Honestly, yeah.

My reaction to calling someone lolicon is "if true, they should probably go to jail but I guess there's some leeway" whereas my reaction to calling someone a pedophile is "if true, they should absolutely die in a fire".

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

psyer posted:

https://twitter.com/cramer_pr/status/1301535566996013056

Farewell, My Dear Cramer is getting an anime TV adaptation and a movie coming out in April 2021.

It is by Naoshi Arakawa, the author for Your Lie in April. It is a sports manga that follows a high school girls soccer team. I think this a somewhat realistic soccer manga that promotes women soccer and the struggle and the pressure of it. The story is more focused on the sports and the characters.

The manga is currently translated on Crunchyroll and Comixology. One minor annoyance with the official translation is some of the word choice on with the sports jargon.

He has a prequel story of this called Sayonara Football that is also released by Kodansha Manga.

Petition to have the inevitable thread about the show use the phrase "*Cramers in*" somewhere in the title.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Endorph posted:

I wish i knew less of them

:same:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

kater posted:

‘Historically, 72% of all deaths in London are related to dragons’

I've spent lots of time in London and the math checks out. Dragon poop ends up everywhere and it's slippery as hell.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Gah. What is this from so I can avoid it?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Endorph posted:

imagine if someone posted an image from a kkk flyer and multiple people asked for more information on it and sought it out to read the entire thing so they could post about how racist it was

I know like zilch about the politics of manga so I thought it was a fair question :confused:

Seriously I just wanted to know if it was something that's otherwise popular that suddenly had the author showing what a lunatic they are, I don't go seeking out bigoted garbage for funsies.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Davincie posted:

she just switched. her webpage is better though as i enjoy the dichotomy between the nationalism and all the yaoi of foreign looking guys

I guess some things are universal across cultures :laugh:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Wark Say posted:

The best Gyaru manga is the one with a Hokkaido Gyaru which went into stupidly cute heights recently. :3:

That's the good stuff, yeah.

It's weird, I'm three for three on manga specifically set in Hokkaido being really drat good.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Not surprised at all.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FilthyImp posted:

I'd take that over Gal☆Cleaning any day.

Though, yeah, I was disappointed it went in the obvious direction. Maybe an adaptation would leave some ambiguity.

To the mangaka's credit (maybe?) the obvious direction in Gal Gohan included him telling her to go away to college for several years to make sure she didn't actually just have a weird crush on him.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FilthyImp posted:

Ok, that's true.

I suppose there was just a lot of secondary characters going "oh, Okazaki looks like a good wife gat drat she's hot you're totally hitting that right my man maybe it's a cultural thing.

I mean it's still creepy but at least the mangaka made an effort to dial it back from :cop: to just :chloe: levels of creepy.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Man, if Cherami Leigh, Todd Haberkorn, and Tia Ballard aren't in the English voice cast it'll be very wrong.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The Black Stones posted:

If Funimation is dubbing it I doubt it, they rarely use him and he kinda showed his rear end when Vic was revealed to be a sexpest. They probably won’t go out of their way to get him and I don’t blame them at this point.

Oh, did he? Well gently caress him then, find someone else. Can't be that hard.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Julias posted:

Please don't forums stalk other posters.

I notice this says nothing about IRL stalking.

N.B. This post is a (probably very bad) joke.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

He wants to hang around the Ewoks, obviously.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

wuggles posted:

Would there be any interest in a Rent A Girlfriend/Kanojo, Okarishimasu thread seeing as there's going to be a second season and the English version of the manga is slated to release about one volume every two months?

I'd rent this.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Simps, Shrimps, pfui. When is it the turn of the Shemps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

wuggles posted:

An explicit goal of the thread will be to suck less than the subreddit

Wow, don't aim too high :ohdear: