Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Coxswain Balls posted:

Yeah, I looked up some stuff about Rental GF and hooooo boy is that show attracting some intense incel rage. I don't know why anyone would care about what the average "anime blogger" thinks.

Rental GF was super cringy for the first half of the first episode but it really grew on me when the lead girl's actual personality starts to be revealed and the hijinks ensue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Despite the premise being a bit of a red flag, I actually really enjoyed the first episode of Rent-A-Girlfriend. The main character is an rear end in a top hat, but I feel like he's gonna have to face that down and I'm actually kind of interested in seeing how that goes. The characters over-all are very good, especially grandma.

This for me as well. The first half of the episode was pretty yikes and I thought this was going to be a depressing anime played straight about how the Japanese commodify every relationship.

Thankfully I was (seemingly) proven wrong by the second half of the episode.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Rent-A-Girlfriend is a story of a slow-moving disaster in the making, and I just love it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Misfit demon Lord has been surprisingly wholesome. I thought it was going to be a power fantasy of a long dead demon Lord coming back to show the decadent descendants what's what. And while it certainly has that it's been almost entirely focused on the demon lord making friends and patching up a sibling relationship.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

4 ears

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Qwertycoatl posted:

I've never read the manga and I couldn't sit down for 20 minutes of it animated

You're missing out

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Man, rental girlfriend is so great.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Kazuya and Mami are just such awful people. And the whole dynamic they have is EXTREMELY realistic.

Kazuya is a pathetic guy desperate for approval by his friends, grandmother, and girlfriend. He's piling lie after lie on top of eachother in order to try and keep everyone liking him.

I'm not sure if Mami is jealous or something else, but she earnestly wants to gently caress up Kazuya's life really badly and is lying to him and everyone else in an attempt to break up the fictional relationship he has with his rental girlfriend.

The creators have done a really excellent job of getting you to really dislike these two.

I'm looking at this show as less of a comedy and more of a drama, so there not being a lot of laughs is fine to me.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

I think I'm tapping out of HxEros after episode 4. It's not really striking a balance where horny power rangers could be fun.
Though the scene in Ep3 where the Super Twink scientist uncle recruits a girl in the rain wearing a getup that shows his abs prominently was pretty hilarious.

Eh, might be one of those series' that's fun drunkwatching with people.

Got to see Uzaki Ep2 and I kind of wish those baps weren't so huge. Love the character reactions. Definitely a fun watch.

The huge baps are a vital part of her character.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

AnoHito posted:

Re:Zero has you covered.

I really wish they had her do her lines with an appliance in her mouth or a mouth guard in.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

KoB posted:

im surprised to hear the Sugoi Dekai is supposed to be in college, if it werent for the baps Id assume she was like 10

This is a literal skit in the second episode.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

InspectorCarbonara posted:

I can't believe there is finally a likeable character in Rental Girlfriend and it's the friend of the main character who beats him up and tells him what a piece of poo poo he is.

You don't like Chizuru? I thought it was mainly Kazuya and Mami who are unlikable assholes.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

InspectorCarbonara posted:

She’s not an unlikable character, but Kazuya clearly has no spine was going to keep inventing lies that put her in awkward situations to put off saying they were breaking up (until this episode? But I’m sure that’s going to be walked back because it’s too early in the series) and it was getting frustrating that she kept playing along instead of just leaving him to clean up his mess.

Maybe, maybe not. There are four girls in the OP and we've only seen two of them. I would imagine one or two of the other ones are also rental girlfriends. So she may not be saddled with his sorry rear end forever.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Julias posted:

To wash the taste of piss out of everyone's mouth, how about some good news instead? (It hasn't been officially announced yet though, but has been teased by the mangaka)

https://twitter.com/AIR_News01/status/1292096810282921986?s=19

Not to be a downer but I'm quite concerned about another character that they might be adding if they do another season of the series. They excluded her from the first season even though she probably would have been introduced already. But it was a good call in excluding her.

I don't know how you get away with excluding this character for an entire another season however since she is more intertwined and the other character stories.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Space Flower posted:

i'd like to submit that carl was a joke that was around since they officially localized her name in the granblue collab, but i do it with remorse, having crushed wark's spirit.

https://twitter.com/CianuroArts/status/1256589362072035328?s=20

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Coxswain Balls posted:

I love the gremlin energy Ruka brings to the table. The way she just fuckin' executed Kuri was ice-cold.

She is great.

The show definitely needed her to mix things up as well.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I found the teleporting girl in Railgun very annoying, and I've given up watching the first season a few times because of her.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Man, Kazuya manages to one up his scummyness every episode.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

How old is that chick anyway? The way they talk about it she's in High School?

How TF did the English dub handle it?
"Well Kazuya she's 18 but do you really want to date a HIGH SCHOOLER?!?"

Ruka? She's 17.

I was mostly talking about him stalking Chizuru

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Farewell, My Dear Cosmo Kramer.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Crunchyroll announced the second season of, uh, shield hero for 2021

Hey, Shield Hero has a good OST. It's made by the same guy who did the Made in Abyss soundtrack.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The airport in the last episode looked like they just used photos from the real airport and stuck the characters into them.

Let us just get a cup of coffee next to these large standies of detective Conan.

Let us examine the places we might go next to these large posters of detective Conan.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I don't think I can watch this episode of Uzeki. It's just one big advertisement.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

Largely because "Mamazaki being horny for the insanely buff college kid" is funny but also not super funny like in previous eps.

That was last week. This week was just a tourism ad.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

LOL I forgot about that episode. At least basically a anarcho-capitalist fantasy where no one can break the NAP because if you do so everyone will kill you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I thought Goblin slayer was fine?

What's the problem with it?