Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
What the gently caress is THIS thread?
oh.

hi.

My name is Charlie and I am a truck-a-holic.
It's been 0 days since my last terrible decision.
I had a 2011 Ecoboost that ate the timing chain at 42000 miles. Then again at 90ish.
So I got a 2019 Ecoboost that started stretching the timing chain at 46000 miles and the cam phasers started going to poo poo so I decided to solve that problem by removing the engine.

:science: 2023 Lightning XLT, standard battery.

I brought it home Monday night and already regret getting a standard battery. But there wasn't anything with an extended battery that I could afford so here we are.
I've been through a full charge already, and I got about 200 miles, so slightly better than 2miles/kWh.

All in all it's been a great week. It's easy to drive, it feels just like my last truck except quieter and smoother and a little faster off the line.
I don't have to worry about towing anything because I haven't had a trailer in a while and the boat has been long gone.
I think it'll be a good fit. Should be perfect for commuting.

I'm a little disappointed that it costs considerably more to charge than just filling my tank with premium, but frankly, I'm just glad to not be driving around a timebomb (I hope).

The 360 view camera makes me kinda nauseous but maybe I'll get used to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Wayne Knight posted:

Neat! What are your home electricity rates? How much would it cost to charge the battery fully? (I don’t know how big the standard battery is).

When I get my lyriq it should cost me around $12 for a full charge.

$.12/kWh home.
Standard battery is 98kWh. About $12/charge and that is supposed to get me 200 miles but I have not been achieving that even with the heat off and very conservative driving.
That works out to roughly $.06/mile at best.

Conversely $3.80/gal for premium (on the high end of prices). 20-26 miles/gallon. 25ish gallons/tank. I get at least 500miles/tank even with my gas truck running as lovely as it was.
So, $95 (high estimate) per tank means about $.19/mile (or $.14 at 26mpg average).
I guess I am saving money. I must have math'd that wrong initially.

Furthermore, I have been charging for free at work this week. No clue why they're not $$charging$$ but I am not complaining. I get an SREC credit that I can sell on the state energy market every time my home usage falls below my solar panel's energy production. So not charging my truck could mean the difference between paying a power bill or pocketing $35.

Cactus Ghost posted:

why a truck? just wanted a truck? not being a wiseass, just curious since you only mentioned commuting
I can really only have one vehicle right now. My normal everyday use is just commuting 26 miles to/from work each way.
I do truck stuff pretty often, and unfortunately can't keep a trailer in my neighborhood. So, I'm stuck with a vehicle that has an open bed to do truck stuff like hauling motorcycles or going to the dump, transporting manure or trees, or getting construction materials. I haven't been camping or biking in a while (having babies kinda puts a damper on that), but I always enjoyed having a truck for those sorts of activities as well. Much more preferable to just dump all of your dirty camping/biking stuff into a truck bed rather than into the cabin of another sort of vehicle. If I could have two vehicles than a minivan or suv or wagon and a beater truck would have been fine.
But yeah, I've always had a truck of some sort, and since the chicken-tax makes it not economically viable to have a small truck, I'm stuck with big truck.

I don't disagree that trucks are much taller than they need to be nowadays, but I haven't had any issues with visibility.
To my knowledge I haven't ran over small children, or children of any size, or any humans or pets. I have had deer run into the side of my vehicle but I don't think having a shorter vehicle would have prevented that. I will say though, I do like the front facing camera in the Lightning, and I REALLY like that I can put up any of the camera views on my screen at any point, not just when reversing.

Vegetable posted:

Why can’t you just be open to the idea that someone might need a truck to transport a couch once every four years? :shrug:

Think of it this way, since I have a truck, that means all my my friends don't need their own trucks to move couches. So I'm actually saving the world from more trucks. It's a net positive :pseudo:

e: exhibit a.
I haven't even had the truck a week and it's already being used to help a friend of a friend renovate their house.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 20, 2024

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

this.
I mean I guess I could keep a trailer, but I don't want to have to pay to store it somewhere then drive out of my way to go get it every time I needed it.

Nitrox posted:

This may come as a surprise, but very few construction trades actually make use of a picture truck. Cargo vans are the default tool and supply carriers. And everyone who needs the extra seating capacity, will compromise by getting a pickup and then a designated trailer.

Not surprising at all.
Having your tools stolen really loving sucks.

That being said, the frunk is really great for storing tools AND makes a makeshift workbench. I already got to put it to use by throwing my hot air station and soldering iron in there and using the outlets and space to do some electronics repair for a friend in a single trip instead of having to drive to them, bring stuff home, and then go drop it back off with them.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Cactus Ghost posted:

i figured it was for that sort of homeownery type stuff. how much room is in the trunk?

enough to curl up and take a nap.

Also, I jinxed myself. Chargers at work are no longer free AND they cost $3/hr plus $.20/kWh.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
https://www.theverge.com/2024/3/18/24104786/rivian-tesla-supercharger-access-adapter-free-r1t-r1s

Oh I didn't know Tesla was even planning on opening charging to Rivian.

I know Ford is able to now.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Silly Burrito posted:

Throwing it into the ocean just makes the ocean saltier.

speaking of Ocean...

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/ev-startup-fisker-slashes-prices-ocean-suv-amid-debt-troubles-2024-03-27/

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

priznat posted:

At the L2 chargers at work seen a few different vehicles and the F150 lightnings are by far the largest I’ve seen on there!

Looks like the EV9 is about a foot shorter than a Tahoe: https://www.carsized.com/en/cars/compare/kia-ev9-2023-suv-vs-chevrolet-tahoe-2020-suv/

They’re definitely not small but for a 3 row suv they’re not huge. Similar in size to an R1S, but I have seen reviewers say the rivian loses some space in the upper passenger area because it tapers more. But it does have a wayyyy bigger frunk.

I parked my Lightning next to a Rivian at work on Friday and yeah... I didn't realize how much smaller they were until then. I've seen them in person a few times but it just didn't register until it disappeared behind my truck as I walked inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

ilkhan posted:

The Maverick is perfectly sized for getting groceries and hauling bags of soil for your downtown apartment's balcony garden.

The maverick would be the perfect in-between "truck" if the modern Ranger wasn't so fat.
That being said I would probably buy an EV ranger OR Mav in a heartbeat.

The turning radius on my Lightning is awful and makes parking such a pain.

Gnoman posted:

If you routinely transfer things that are tall, an open bed has serious advantages. The stuff I take whenever I go camping fits easily into a short-bed pickup, but wouldn't fit into a van or SUV at all.

The sky's the limit.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 22, 2024