Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I was looking at a Tesla and seriously considering their newer Model 3, basic model which they've priced just under the £40k 'luxury car' additional tax threshold here. Then I saw that the thing has no steering wheel stalks. Nope.

Anyways I'm looking at probably a 2021-make Model 3, the all-wheel drive models for the extra range. Looks like I could potentially get something with 35k miles on the clock. Any idea how much the range will have dropped from the sticker range by that point?
Also, should I be looking elsewhere than Tesla's in-house 'certified' pre-owned online store? I have no idea whether the fact they're on that official site means anything at all versus getting one elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
What are the good alternatives (if any) to a Model 3 these days? I haven't looked very closely at the EV market for a while. Most interested in equivalent range and charging speeds I suppose.

Edit: man it really looks like the only vaguely equivalent thing price and range wise is Hyundai i5 which... is at least a few grand more expensive? (In the UK at least). That is crazy. I thought there would at least be a few real competitors by now.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 9, 2024

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Starts at £42.5k unfortunately which means it hits the luxury car tax in UK. Looks like the range is 339 or 323 miles though which is decent.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Yeep posted:

I'm pretty sure the luxury car tax doesn't apply to EVs yet.
Ah yeah, having double checked it's only for vehicles registered 1 April 2025 on. Phew

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Decided to pull the trigger. Went for a Model 3 in the end, 2023 version so not the fancy newest one but I've been reading user reviews which complain a lot that the new Highland refresh isn't actually that much of an improvement in e.g. cabin noise, music system etc. versus the 2023 models. Also this means I get actual stalks for indicating and such so, kind of a win. Also also they were doing a discount on the long range RWD version from £47,000 to £42,300 which seems like a pretty good deal and means I can probably just go for cash payment.

Any UK posters got recommendations on best home charger for this thing? Zappi and Ohm seem to be recommended on Reddit. The Tesla one looks nice but I hear it can sometimes be more expensive to install for some reason?
I need to look into Octupus energy too, though there are three different tarifs including the one where you can use the car as a house battery, it's taking me a while to wrap my head around which might be best.

edit: belated happy big thread day, thread!

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 16, 2024

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
In general seems like maybe UK prices are higher at the moment, the absolute starting point seems to be about £950. No idea why it should be so much more expensive than US.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I'm trying to work out whether the Tesla home charger is a 'smart' charger of the type that (UK utilities) Octopus Energy / Ovo want for their more complicated EV tariffs. The chargers that do work with those tariffs are things like Zappi, and the Ohm Pro. Is there actually much or any difference in terms of functionality vs Tesla home charger?

(my partner likes the look of the Tesla one and the price is the same as other types of charger it seems, otherwise I would just go with Ohm/Zappi)

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Thanks folks. Cruft that's super helpful detail as well. Figures that it is mostly pointless boondoggle stuff and that's pretty much what I assumed.

Octopus's website checker thing just tells you that your particular type of EV is fine for their tariffs. It doesn't mention anything about the charger. Despite asking you to give the make & model of charger. I suppose it means both are fine. I emailed them anyway to double check

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Random question for model 3 owners - any idea if a regular old ice car's floor mats will fit? I hear the car doesn't come with any and I am pretty sure tesla aren't going to miss the ones from the ancient Polo I'm trading in which they are surely going to scrap anyway.
Possibly a stupid question, but I don't know if there's anything unusual about the way the model 3's seats are mounted that means a normal car's mats won't fit or whatever

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I mean the old car is 100% going to be scrapped by Tesla and I would be surprised if the mats ended up anywhere except landfill, so vOv I don't like stuff getting thrown away if there's an obvious use for it. And I'm not massively loaded so money is still an object. Figured I would ask the question for those model 3 owners in here.

Anyhow it's a long range model 3 so maybe that means it will come with mats anyway I guess.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Got a charger installed today. Apparently our house has a 60 amp main fuse and the charger can draw up to 30a. The electrician freaked my partner out by talking about blowing the thing by having the charger on whilst other appliances are in use. Is this likely to be a thing? I would think the only significant other draws are the dryer and maybe the dishwasher. Though looking online I see some dryers can draw up to 30a as well so, perhaps that could indeed be an issue. We don't have an induction hob or any other high power appliances that I can think of.

Seems like we can easily limit the charger to lower power, 28a or 20a and so on, so realistically I guess it's unlikely to be a problem unless we're complete idiots about it. Am still curious about what it would take though. I'm guessing in general if your house's mains line is rated to 60a you don't really want to be getting near that number anyway.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Nah it's a smallish three bedroom lol, just built in the 60s or 70s I guess as council housing in the UK, could well be typical power rating for this kind of property in that era for all I know. I wouldn't be surprised if the equivalent in the USA would be very different, I imagine electric appliances were far more ubiquitous than over here even at that time.

Steakandchips posted:

In the UK, old houses with 60A fuses need to be upgraded to 100A before they let you do a charger install.
Uh.... news to us, lol

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Ah the DNO right. I have seen stuff about that online. Apparently the electrician is meant to notify them if it's a case where they should be notified? But I'm not exactly 100% confident this electrician will. I'll ask when he sends through the invoice. Thanks for the heads up!

Now just need to switch to Octopus before vehicle delivery on Thursday and get the intelligent tariff stuff set up.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Just got the FSD beta 12 software and went for a drive after work. (The end-to-end AI release.)

This is legitimately the first one that they should have let out of the lab. It’s not perfect, but most of FSD’s previous worst foibles are corrected. It isn’t steaming dogshit at lane selection anymore, it can actually properly control vehicle speed instead of swinging unpredictably from 15 under to twenty over, and phantom braking seems to be far better (nearly nonexistent) thus far. It’s also far better at merging into a lane with traffic in it than it used to be.

New issue though; They trained it on humans, so it centers the driver’s position in the lane like a doofus and hugs the right lane limit, it goes around corners like a grandma driving a tuk-tuk full of priceless bone china, and it’ll punch it off the line to 40mph in a 50 zone, trail off to ~35 and then finally, agonizingly, slowly accelerate to the set speed.

If you drove it around Miami at rush hour, literally no one would be able to tell it wasn’t just a typical awful Miami driver.
From a few pages back but I'd be interested to hear if you see any difference when you get the 12.3.1/12.3.2 update, which allegedly fixes the granny speed problems.
It's essentially impossible to find any actual objective information about this killer(TM) tech. But it is interesting (if somewhat horrifying) to see the changes to it happen
It's also fun to see comments on videos about it where usually two to three people are watching because they don't want to try the new version themselves due to having spent $400 on tires previously because the software took their vehicle over a curb at high speed.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Mar 28, 2024

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Got the model 3 yesterday. Long range RWD (2023). Didn't expect it to have the heated steering wheel and heated back seats, thought those weren't available on this option so nice little surprise.

I never thought I would actually buy a brand new car so I am pretty stoked :3: Also this thing is just generally awesome. I was expecting the performance to be noticeably different to the AWD Highland version that I test drove, but it's really not, handling and acceleration are amazing though I'll admit I have little to compare it to.

Apparently all electric vehicles have to be delivered with <50% battery charge in UK? I actually had a lot of driving to do yesterday for work after I picked the car up, was very glad to find that the battery estimates you get when you enter a destination in navigation, are very accurate. Made it home with 9% remaining, I think you're meant to try to avoid going that low very often but happily we already set up our home charger so I was able to go back up to the 80% threshold overnight in about 5-6 hours. Home charging is wild. I was driving home on my usual route and my brain poked me when I turned onto the last road before my house that has a petrol station on it lol, had to remind myself I didn't have to stop to fuel up.

Coming from an old crappy car adaptive cruise was actually the thing I was looking forward to most in some ways and I am not disappointed. It very occasionally wonks out a little bit in that it will sometimes slow down when in a tight spot on a sharp enough corner where there's lots of traffic, like it struggles to see a clear way through. Otherwise it's amazing.
Also surprising to me is that I've used the lane keeping a lot so far as well (enhanced autopilot) and it is very good. Again just has the occasional moment where it slows down when in a tight spot on a particularly sharp corner but only rarely. Lane changing by hitting the indicator is fun too. I may miss this when my three month free trial runs out. Though obviously I haven't tested it on a massively long trip or anything yet, but I have been driving a whole lot in past 24hrs.
I know other car makers have this stuff (and it's probably better for all I know), but it's still a godsend for me in London traffic.

Ok this got way too long sorry for gushing.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
What did it do?
It certainly seems like their one month free trial thing is going down like a lead balloon with most users.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

bird with big dick posted:

FSD doesn’t make you go below the speed limit unless maybe the weather and visibility is poo poo so you’re going to have to find something else to blame.
In the latest updates it does, per a bunch of feedback posts I've seen on v12 and 12.3.3. Apparently it was very bad in 12.0, somewhat fixed now but not in many situations.
Hilariously this seems to result in a lot of the fsd shills online setting their speed offset to like +15mph just to get it to drive at the speed limit, though that often makes it drive over the speed limit at times as well.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

cruft posted:

I won't be using FSD again until there's some way to have plain old cruise control. For some damned reason (probably an effort to force people to experience how great it is), enabling the *ability* to engage FSD disables the *ability* to engage cruise control. It used to be that when you grabbed the steering wheel and took over, it would fall back to cruise. No more: now it disengages everything.

I really hope I can do both again come April. I actually preferred FSD to AutoPilot on the highway. But I also want to be able to steer the car and have it maintain speed like I can in the 2017 Nissan LEAF I just bought from my dad for like $186.
Interesting. Experiences seem to vary wildly. I have been pretty bored at work the past few days and also a bit Tesla-crazy since getting my new car, so have been idly browsing posts about it. It seems the non-city driving is not neural net stuff but still apparently has improved in certain ways.
I've seen quite a few people complaining about 12.3.3 showing regressions from 12.3/12.3.2.1 so you may or may not want to hold off on updating for a while. In theory they should be releasing another version pretty soon though god knows whether they'll stick to that schedule.

borkencode posted:

I used v12.3 a bit the other weekend, mostly interstate and midwestern rural roads (ie very straight, minimal intersections). And found it a fair bit of an improvement over the previous version. It now moves to the left of the lane while passing trucks with trailers, or while passing other vehicles that were close to the line. It did seem occasionally to be averse to returning to the set speed which *gasp* I did set to be above posted speed limits, and I did manually make it accelerate once. The biggest issue (and an understandable one) was when we came up behind a bit of farm equipment, there was a.. disc plow(??) being towed by a pickup, and it had an orange warning triangle on the back. The car slowed down and stayed like 100 yards back from it, so I disengaged and passed it myself, otherwise no real issues. I haven't tried out v12.3.3 which got pushed to me a couple days ago.
Yeah they disabled one-pull TACC apparently. You have to get rid of the FSD option altogether I think (for the moment) to get back standard TACC?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It looked like a neat gimmick and the price of FSD is pretty silly IMO, so I went with the in-between option. If it’s really not worth 6k I’d be glad to save the money.
You're better off looking for Tesla referral codes for purchase on Reddit or whatever, you can easily get 3 months trial of EAP free, it's what I got. Though I'm based in the UK so you should double check, the referrals might get you FSD in the US I'm not sure. And if you get FSD then apparently at the moment you can't just use the regular cruise control lane keeping so you may want to avoid.

Three Olives posted:

Did they get Tesla adaptive cruise control without radar working well?
It works well for me so far.
Very occasionally if a car in the adjacent lane gets too close and it's on a curve, it'll brake and you have to nudge it forward. That's it.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Apr 6, 2024

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
How much is Tesla charging third party users for charging at superchargers?

(say that three times as fast as you can)

Seems like from a corporate point of view they would want to put a serious premium on them given it's the best network out there. But maybe there are still some 'help the transition to sustainable energy' people in the supercharger division of the company??

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Yeah isn't it more so they could get rid of the 'beta' part of the previous name. Because this definitely is release ready software right.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Watch the corners on fsd, from twitter it seems to like curbs a bit too much.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
First road trip in model 3. Have to say I am impressed at how well the advertised range holds up. Distance was 210 miles, three adults in the car, a whole lot of luggage, water, food. The Tesla navigation when I'd checked previously was saying even if starting at 100% charge we would want to do l stop at a supercharger about 3/4 through the trip in order to arrive there with more than 15% battery.
As it was we didn't have to charge at all and still had 35% when we arrived. Temperature about 7 celcius and we had a half hour stop over at a service station to get some dinner (during which I expected the battery to cool down and lose a bunch of range but it didn't). Driving at 75mph most of the way too.

Probably I shouldn't be surprised/impressed, I guess maybe I just heard too many 'range won't be as advertised' warnings. Then again the car is new so I guess I will lose a decent chunk of range in the next year or so before it settles.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
How do you measure that? Just by the estimated miles range on the in-car nav when it's charged to 100%?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Aha ok. Mine showed 340 mi which I think is the EPA rated range

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Shipon posted:

are they ever going to make it so you can charge a car without needing to install an app
This is the dumbest thing about EV ownership for me, so far. In the UK there's Octopus Energy (utility provider) that has an app called Electroverse which is meant to be a single platform for using a whole host of chargers from different networks. But it seems like most charger networks still haven't opened their API to that shared platform. At some point I'm pretty sure it's going to require legislation to force them all to have an open API. Then things will shuffle out so you can just have one app to access any charger.
Not holding my breath, though.

On the supercharger chat, it sucks that they shuttered that department and it does make me worry about ongoing supercharger availability. It's a big selling point for the cars, obviously. Then again I would hope the infrastructure is valuable enough that either they will maintain it or they'll sell it off to someone who will. I could understand from a business point of view why the whole division was likely a very significant loss-leader which has probably already done its job in terms of making sure that you can get from A to B on big road trips. Also in the UK at least there are quite a lot of chargers around these days, albeit I don't know how many are fast chargers (I've only seen one set of 150kW rated non-tesla fast chargers so far, but then again I haven't been looking).

We had our first supercharger experience the other day on the way back from our road trip and it was awesome. Though the car only started charging at 150kW, I think we might have been too close to others that were charging.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

binge crotching posted:

A second stop is not a bad idea, but I feel like if I'm doing it every week I'm going to want to just get it over with asap.

Without straying too far into e/n territory, my wife desperately wants to move to be closer to family now that we have an infant, which would require me commuting once a week until I can find a job with similar benefits closer to the new house.

It would, the rest of the week would be under 100 miles in total.

I was wondering about that. We sold my Honda Fit last year because we needed the money, but it would have made the perfect car for this sort of thing. I'm still hoping to avoid moving at all, but if we do I'm just trying to suss out options.

That's the round trip, each way is 220-250 depending upon which route I take.
FWIW on my Model 3 RWD LR (which on the Tesla site shows 382 miles range but the EPA rating would be 340 miles I think - 341 miles is the number the car itself shows as max range when charged to 100%) I did a 210 mile each way road trip last weekend. Driving at about 75mph on motorways for about 80 to 85% of the journey time. The last 45 minutes was hilly country terrain. We had three adults in the car and a whole lot of luggage, food and water. We still reached destination with 35% range left.
So, if you're driving a 450-500 mile round trip commute I would assume you're doing up to 250 miles each way, with time to charge fully in between trips during the day while you're at work.

Basically, if you do the trips at a slightly more sensible speed, and if you have charging at work, then you would be fine in an EV with this kind of range? You could probably also get away with 80mph or maybe even more but you would probably end each leg at like 15% battery so you'd better have a charger of some sort either at or near your work.

edit: and I'm not even taking into account the fact there's probably a supercharger or other fast charger somewhere along your drive route (I assume?) so you will most likely be fine. A 5 to 10 minute stop at a supercharger will get you a shitload of range even if it's a 150kW one.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 12:38 on May 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Jesus Christ I thought UK car insurance rates were bad.

In fact scratch that, UK car insurance rates are bad. Especially compared to EU. I guess USA just has even more ultra-capitalism going on aka huge companies squeezing the gently caress out of ordinary people as hard as possible. My sympathies.

Only had to pay £750 for first year's insurance on the (brand new) Model 3, in a London satellite/commuter town.