Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I'm a literal child, what does TSLAQ mean, is it a hashtag or something? I will remove this if I am poo poo stirring I literally do not know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

gwrtheyrn posted:

I would have guessed more, but 20k isn't actually that big of a cost once you're talking home construction....like at $250/sqft which i hear is basically the minimum you can get away with, a 2k sqft house would be 500k to build. What's another 20k at that point :v:
Has grover become a home charger installer yet?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

McTinkerson posted:

Route the regen braking energy to the antennas and configure them like a Jacobs Ladder. There's your lightning. It'll be like throttle lift off pops bangs and burbles.
This is dumb, garish and dangerous, so it'd probably help save the planet, you should start designing it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Does it really seem unrealistic to you that people would rather buy a van at under $100k to live in rather than a 'starter' homes pushing $400k?

I understand that most users in this forum are middle aged with decent jobs but there's another younger generation that's dealing with way worse odds than we got at their age.
At that point you might as well rent an apartment. At least the apartment is less likely to get T-boned on your way to work.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Three Olives could also get a folding bike to take into the condo if space/transport is an issue. At 7 miles you're practically within funsies scooter range.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This owns, though?
Yeah this seems like Ford having good marketing sense

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Totally agree with this, for us even trips aren't an inconvenience as my body doesn't feel like it was put in a sack and beaten with a stick by the end of the trip. We used to drive as far as possible, spend as little time at the stop, etc. Granted, you can totally do the EV lifestyle in with ICE, but I love the quiet ride.
When I talk to people about this a lot of people seem really deeply committed to hell-driving for sixteen hours. Like I can understand you want to cover ground, but it seems like such an odd thing to celebrate. And you COULD still hell-drive for sixteen hours, you just would spend slightly less of that time driving and might not get deep vein thrombosis.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

Ora Funky Cat review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj7CYQ8vlfE

I've had a few trips where they need to be over as fast as possible, Portland to Yellowstone for example. But generally yeah 15 minute charge (though that's only the best EVs... the Cat does 15-80% in 45min) here or there would be fine if I could actually charge at home. Which I can't lol. I think the only aspect that would bother me is planning around charging. Maybe something you get used to.
This seems like it may change if/when charging stations get more ubiqutious, you might still need an app but that's just because of the number of places that may use them as a draw. "Oh, they have a charger at the world's largest ball of string, what the hell, we'll spend an hour there."

But this isn't a factor for in-town trips or most daily commutes.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I wouldn't buy a new Tesla but if you already own one and it works I don't think you need to feel guilt. I assume you don't have to pay a monthly sub to keep the car running.

Right?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

moosemanmoo posted:

There might be an easy and inexpensive way to do this I'm unaware of, but if not, the cost of implementing a billing/auth system will probably be much higher than the energy cost. For example, 40KW of home charging costs me just under $5. If management really wants to try to recoup the literally tens of dollars per month, I'd consider a low-tech solution like charging for a monthly EV parking/charging permit you display on your dash and just have someone go out and check on the space every now and then.
Yeah this is probably better for this scale of operation.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I'd never heard of the Polestar before today. It looks like a Tesla except without the crapshoot. Where did these people come from!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Russian Bear posted:

The more :lol: are the people who think that the only types of cars that should be sold in 10-15 years are EVs. There is 0 chance of this happening.
Post/username synergy :v:

I think it's plausible if you include PHEV as "an EV"

At a certain point there would be something of a death spiral for fuel supply in a lot of areas.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

It seems that the big car makers may have looked at what Tesla did and taken some of the details but are doing it, like, "not badly." EVs are mechanically simpler so you would think dollars to dimes it would be simpler and cheaper to build them.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

All the current big boys (international, blue bird, Thomas) have product they’re trotting around. I got to go to a customer product demo earlier this year. School bus is very tightly regulated and not a huge market so I’d be surprised to see someone new crack it, though all things are possible.
If you're trying to bash together some kind of V2G set up for your township, strategic hamlet, or other godforsaken burg, having electric schoolbuses is probably a great way to do it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

Speaking of rails, has anyone tried an EV bus... but on rails yet? Seems like that might work pretty well and be mostly self-driving.
Yeah, Judge Doom tore them down so he could hose down Toontown. That's why all the cartoons went to Japan.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I saw one of the Amazon Rivian vans in the neighborhood, that was tight. I live pretty near one a mega-distributor point, though, so it's possible they're spreading them out (or likely prioritizing places where they get some kind of incentive to do it on a state-wide basis).

knox_harrington posted:

Alternatively, and I know this sounds crazy, we could power buses directly from the existing electrical grid? Maybe using wires suspended over the streets, I dunno I'm just the ideas guy
I think part of the issue here is that this requires infrastructure spending and construction which people hate, while using EV buses requires nothing new other than chargers at the bus depot, which the city council doesn't care about, and which Joe Biden may pay for.

It would be good to do this but you play the ball where it lies.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Counterpoint: trolley busses don't use massive lithium-ion batteries. The ones here have backup ICE that are used in case the lines are hosed or the route has to be temporary changed.
I think some of the idea is to get rid of the backup ICE :v: However you could well have smaller battery/supercapacitors/whatever in these situations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

not sure if you’re defending the practice of gating features in automobiles behind fees (and subsequently killing future access to said features by sunsetting the subscription service that governs access to them six years into the service life of the vehicle) or not
Are there aftermarket car hackers yet, choom?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I have only gotten a Tesla in an uber ride once... it was a model Y, I think.

It was OK, and I was surprised at how roomy the interior was, but I could kind of see the seams.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Stultus Maximus posted:

The party of "you're not my real dad" has taken a hilariously pointless stance against EVs

https://twitter.com/arstechnica/status/1615010876460863490
lmao, this is something I expected to see but not for like five or six years, and I think even they realize it's a stupid messaging bill rather than a serious attempt. Are they just giving up? Did Elon's transphobia-induced cyberpsychosis confuse them enough to get out of the way?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

How do they say it? Nobody in America seems to pronounce it like Japanese either.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Zero One posted:

My hybrid F-150 has a 5.3 0-60 and lots of utility.

Do I use either while hauling groceries in suburban Florida traffic?

No.
Suburban Florida would give you the opportunity to take advantage of Tesla's ability to serve as a small boat for short periods of time.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

The proposition I think is pretty clear, a ground-up efficient EV design that doesn't brute-force things by putting a literal ton of batteries into a brick with wheels.

Of course if it makes sense depends on whether or not hey can delver something that works as promised at a reasonable price.
Isn't that the one that makes hay out of having solar panels built into the roof?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Yeah if I had any confidence that I wouldn't be turned into meat sauce by one of my fellow citizens, an electric scooter of some kind would serve 90% of my needs if it had a good cargo compartment. As it is I'm lucky to have a mostly safe bike commute route.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

MrYenko posted:

This is downright impressive. Not quite to the level of my all-time favorite snow-traffic picture, but close.

Wasn’t that Georgia when they got 2 inches

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

In honor of his dominion, what model or brand would Satan, the Prince of Lies, drive if he chose to drive electric?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I’d definitely buy a 100mile range car if it was reasonably crash safe and under 10k. I’d charge it at work for free! Then I’d get crushed like a bug by someone on Route 18 eager to get to a mall.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kirios posted:

Finding a free fast charge station four miles from my house feels like a cheat code. Not like charging my vehicle at home costs that much in the PNW, but this still feels incredible.

I wonder how long this kind of thing will last.
Depends on power price and what it’s at. Is it at a store? Then it’s a promo.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

My understanding was that at this point an EV is lifetime better even with a coal grid now, but it takes longer to break even so to speak. This may have been less true a few years ago. Even if it’s a complete push you would still have the advantage of all the non CO2 pollution happening in one scrubbable place.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

dissss posted:

Thr problem is they didn't spend any real energy - that's why the result sucks
Oh so now spending energy is good, huh?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

They closed down the Navajo generating plant which was, well, being given coal directly from adjacent mine facilities if I recall correctly. Do these statistics reflect that? I am unsure if the Navajo power station is large enough to Matter, of course; but it was a pretty big coal plant in the region.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

What if they make electric tanks eh? Eh???

Or is that the Model Y

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

cruft posted:

I've actually seen the same argument used to argue that municipal bus service is a waste of resources.
Its an argument for electric buses too. Of course we must always remember that it doesn’t matter, so we don’t fool ourselves.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

E bike also works

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Roadie posted:

I wonder how long until we have "trucks" with three-foot beds so you can have a full minivan interior in there.
I'm confident that they have explored the possibilities of a three-axle extra-long vehicle so you have the luxury interior plus the plywood-sheet-sized truck bed.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Speleothing posted:

Or you drive from Detroit to Alpena 20-ish weekends per year, and don't want to worry about recharging after your daily commute to and from Dearborn before you leave on Friday afternoon.
Or you become violently infuriated if you remain at any roadside facility and are not actively urinating or purchasing gasoline and/or fried chicken - a remarkably common affliction!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

withoutclass posted:

I visit family 300 miles away 2-3 times a year for 4-6 days at a stretch. 10-15 days is not a lot of days and I reckon it's a lot more common than you think.
I would think just about any EV would be able to get you there with one charge break, then, assuming that the family have electric power at the end destination. (I'm not actually sure how feasible it is to plug into a wall and trickle charge most vehicles.)

I mean I don't think any of the general-market ones have less than 200 miles range at the moment, though obviously it depends on the route.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

You also save on the go juice outside of those trips, which may be a substantial savings in its own right. Plus less maintenance (probably)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I think the charging infrastructure is in the process of sprouting to at least some extent. I'm not sure what it's like on interstates/rest stops or anything, of course, but my local anecdotes are mostly of seeing random charge stations at public-ish locales more and more often.

I'm not sure what the threshold for "mass market" is, exactly, though it does seem like total replacement of ICEs is not likely in any kind of five or ten year trajectory. Many major car makers seem to be putting a lot of eggs in being EV only/primary in 10 or 15 years, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The Gunslinger posted:

Up here the infrastructure is essentially non-existent outside of urban centers.

I'm not sure the insignificant volume of EVs produced outside of say Tesla qualifies as selling like hotcakes but fair enough, I guess we'll see when the supply chain ever recovers. Regardless, there is a market for longer range EVs because not everyone has the use case of "oh I work within 15 minutes of my house and like to rent cars for trips".
I don't think the total number of EVs produced is insignificant outside of Tesla, although Tesla is certainly the largest producer of, specifically, battery-only EVs at the moment, and probably the largest individual seller in North America. It is possible the numbers I have seen are somewhat skewed by demand in the Chinese market of course.