Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Jestery posted:

I read about some super high altitude dogfighting (50,000 ft) where because bomber and fighter had both been super optimised for high altitude, that the dogfight way less loop-de-loops and dakka dakka and more slow dance of death with and
Flea and airspeed being incredibly important

It’s because the air is so thin at those altitudes propeller driven aircraft don’t generate much lift, so it’s difficult to even keep the airplane in the air. Basically since propellers are very similar to airfoils there’s less “grip” for them to generate thrust, which impedes the wing’s ability to generate lift in an environment where they’re not really generating much anyway.

But 50k is stretching it. The Ta-152 could technically do that, but the service ceiling of a B-17G is only a little more than 35,000 so there wouldn’t be much of a reason to be up that high in the first place.

The best high altitude fighter was unequivocally the P-51D and that goes for both the European and Pacific theaters. And in this case the term “best” means a whole more than “the airplane that could go the highest” or “its specifications say it could x on paper.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

twistedmentat posted:

When talking about WW2 it must always be in your mind that the Nazis started it because they intended to genocide basically everyone but a very small racial group. The Holocaust is not a byproduct or something they decided to do when they were winning, but what they aimed to do.

Because Nazi race science is incredibly evil and incredibly dumb. You have your Aryans, who are the Nordic people, so the Germans, Swedes, Norwegians, Danes, and the Dutch. Basically anyone that had their origins in Germanic tribes that had a somewhat unified culture, anyone that had a form of Odin in their mythology. Plus Blond haired and Blue Eyed people were common. But because the nazis were a bunch of failsons and protogoons, they envied high culture found in France and England. They would cosplay as English Nobles and go on fox hunts and other imitative crap. Because of this they had the concept of the Torch or Cupbearer Races (i've seen both used in historical studies), that is Races that aren't quite as good as the Aryans, but have a place in the New Order.

But then you have the Subhumans; the Jews, the Slavs, the Roma, the Gays, Black people, Arabs and North Africans. These people would be completely exterminated, did not deserve to exist. They contributed nothing to humanity. This lead to some hilarious things like all Jewish science needed to be removed from Germany and replaced with proper, Aryan science. If you know the amount of stuff that the Jewish people have contributed to the sciences, you can see how this would turn out.

They were always planning on killing millions. The war was started to do that, the Living Space that Hitler went on about wasn't just displacing people, but their extermination. So everytime I see someone try to say "Well, the allies were just as bad" I get incredibly upset because its completely obscuring just how evil Nazi ideology is. Yes the Allies did terrible things in prosecution of the war, but FDR didn't tell his Generals to murder, rape and loot as much as they can because the Germans are not worthy of existence. Even in the Pacific War, where Racism was a definitive part of the war, more so than in the European theater, but outside of a few people in the US government, there was no idea that they'd just murder them all, destroy all the accomplishments and erase them from history. There were some Racists who thought that would be a good idea, but its America, of course there's some crazy racists in the government. At worst there was an plan floated to destroy Japan's industrial development and turn it into a purely agrarian nation.

Also, when thinking that a Jagpanther is cool, or an Me-262 is an amazing peace of technology, remember that those were made to further a goal of genocide.

I can’t quote this post enough.

Also re: Wunderwaffe (and a lot of combat vehicles built post 1943) the ones that did get completed were built by slave labor in caves because forcing people to work to their death furthers genocide but it also backfired big time because those same workers would sabotage the poo poo out things.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Jestery posted:

This is where I heard about it
https://youtu.be/8WDkj0ZYuiA

It was around 45000 ft and basically a dick waving contest

That dude loving sucks btw

Anyone curious about the reasoning for choosing the bombs over an invasion re: Japan should check out the book “Hell to Pay: Operation Downfall and the Invasion of Japan, 1945-47” by DM Giangreco.

He went into the archives of both countries and did research with documents that neither side had released before and it’s pretty stomach churning. Interestingly the internal logistics reports from Japan regarding their military ability to defend japan show that the amount of material they had held back from other fights specifically for home island defense show that the American intelligence estimates, usually considered overblown, were actually far far under the mark.

The numbers in the preface alone will put the chill on you real fast.

Julius CSAR fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 19, 2020

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

beer gas canister posted:

shooting 4 bullets out of an m1 garand at the dirt in order to reload

This is as much of a myth as like, Shermans being tinder boxes or “ronsons”. It is in fact perfectly fine to reload your M1 in the middle of a clip. And you’ll be able to collect the clip and put the unused ammo back to good use.

Good use being killing nazis by the fu king bushel

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
This video is great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNjp_4jY8pY

Interesting thing in this vid... what has the thicker frontal armor, an M4 Sherman or a Tiger 1?

The Sherman because the armor is angled

edit: I misrembered, the Sherman has almost as much frontal armor than the tiger because of the slope. My bad.

Julius CSAR fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 19, 2020

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Blistex posted:

Don't know where you scrubs are getting your Operation Downfall stats/predictions, but they're weak.

Lol this is really awesome

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Jestery posted:

I can understand that, I find his matter of fact delivery without needless editorialisation to be the main draw, would you be able to reccomend anything superior that accomplishes that? Or is the next step to actually start reading text books?

He plagiarizes so thoroughly he will quote other’s obvious historical inaccuracies word for word. Also he takes nazi propaganda at face value and considers it a worthwhile source, and just general jerking off of the technological and strategic superiority of the German military (which was anything but) in general. Up to and including things like cool action stories about SS units.

I’m not saying you have to read books per se, but these topics are usually so in depth a 20 minute YouTube video is never going to be able cover with the kind of depth these subjects require.

Speaking of depth

Comstar posted:

They must have chilled you very fast, as you have neglected to post them.

I’m not gonna quote entire chapters of a book to you.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

therattle posted:

There was a thread about WW2 I think here on SA where someone was discussing the terrible industrial planning of the Germans. The example was the Luftwaffe, where there were something like 27 different machine guns used across the fleet, and even guns of the same calibre sometimes required different ammo. This was compared to the US, where across the Army and Air Force (and probably Navy and Marines) there were two calibres with standard ammo: .30 and .50 - allowing for much greater efficiency in production, maintenance, supply etc. The German industrial war machine was splintered and competitive, leading to a lot of inefficiency.

Yep, and that type of standardization often went across the allies as well. If there is one martial art perfected by America above all others it’s logistics. People complaining about America “showing up late” like that one guy earlier miss the point that the US was involved in the war almost from the beginning and without lend/lease the British and the Soviets would have much more difficult time. For a good period after Dunkirk, Britain was an army with almost no heavy weapons and equipment.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

mulligan posted:

Just chimed in to say Ghosts of The Osfront by Dan Carlin was very good and you should all listen to it.

Also, “Supernova in the East”, which I guess he’ll finish in 2052.

Ghosts of the Ostfront and Supernova In The East sound really dumb, like embarrassing.

Isnt that guy basically Joe Rogan but for tanks and roman legions

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

mulligan posted:

Oh is that salty Csar guy who scoffs at everything like an rear end in a top hat.

They are interesting history podcasts where you can listen and investigate and corroborate if you don't agree with some of the historians he references.

Your snark is annoying as hell and honestly, whatever, poo poo on him, I and millions of others enjoy his podcasts.

:ok:

toggle posted:

Were the tank battles in Fury accurate? How do you gently caress up a movie about tanks in late war germany?? Surely they'd be enough real stories of tank crews to fill out 2 1/2 hours?

Eh. I mean compared to most movies yeah. It does use an actual Tiger which is pretty unique. But they were in Easy Eights so they probably would have had an even chance of standing their ground and using the late war AP rounds. A Tiger had good armor but wasn't quite the invincible impenetrable beast it's made out to be.

As a movie about a tank crew a the horrific stuff they saw and did, it's pretty good. Forcing that kid to execute that guy seems pretty hokey though I'm sure it probably happened occasionally.

Either way I enjoy it a lot.

Julius CSAR fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
lol yup