Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
That why adoption standards have gotten a lot tighter since those days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
No you're wrong. There is.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

twistedmentat posted:

I mean, if Odin showed up and spirited the German army across the rainbow bridge maybe. Germany never was close to having air superiority over England and never developed decent landing craft. A German pilot who got shot down over England was a prisoner, a British pilot could be back in the cockpit within a few hours if he wasn't too seriously injured. Plus Hitler was not interested in England anymore, was more interested in Russia.

Did you know HG Wells was at the top of the list of people the Germans would find and execute if they did invade? Guess Island of Dr Moreau was too much for Hitler.

This isn't true either. The Germans had 12 times as many planes and 20 times as many pilots as the British did. They were more than happy to lose pilots in British airspace because looking after them became a huge burden on the British. By 1943 at least 7% of Britain's GDP was being spent looking after German POWs.

Also I have no idea where you got the idea that the Germans wanted to kill HG Wells given that he died in 1928.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, but they were saving planes for Barbarossa even then. The Germans never committed their full power against Britain, becuase he was more focused on the USSR.

Wells died in 1946.

Well I think the date of Well's death is debatable but historians give numerous dates and I think the 1928 date is the one supported by the most evidence. Regardless the German failure to occupy Britain owed far more to their lack of ships to ferry their planes across the English Channel - which yes was partly due to much of the German navy being diverted to the eastern front.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
That brings me to a fun little entertainment tidbit. HG Wells actually did pass away before he finished writing the screenplay for Citizen Kane and many of the films most iconic scenes were latter additions by his nephew Orson.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Everyone let's argue about who was good, the US or the USSR

Obviously the United States and the Soviet Republic were stronger together than after they split up.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Servoret posted:

Here’s HG Wells talking to Orson Welles in 1940.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i83IJuaB9DA

The thing is as amateur historians it's easy to be swayed by whatever the most recent bit of evidence you saw was. So sure, it's interesting but what context does it exist in? As I said there are numerous somewhat plausible dates for Wells' death but I think that the preponderance of evidence shows that Wells most likely died in 1928.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
An interesting thing about pre-war Germany was one of the ways the largely urban Nazi party won over the rural population was through an animal breeding program, which obviously had its connections to their core ideology. So you'd have these hick rear end Germans showing up to these rallies and sure they might be impressed by all the pomp and ceremony but what really blew their minds were these HUGE loving cows the Nazi's had bred.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

twistedmentat posted:

I have always wondered what would be worse, dying in a tank or in a submarine.

You should read the autobiography of Hans-Ulrich Rudel who did both.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Britain could have ended the war a good 6 months earlier were it not for Churchill's crippling addiction to SPAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

The panzer I and II had decent armor as far as prewar designs went. what they lacked in was armament. The panzer I was intended as a training tank and had only machine guns as weapons. The II had a 20mm autocannon that was pretty good against trucks and armored cars and only capable of taking out light armor at semi close range. They did have some newer designs with a functional armament but not nearly enough. They figured bolstering their ranks with a training tank was better than not having a tank.

If you were going to be stranded on a desert island and could only take one tank with you which would it be and why?

E: I would pick the Type 95 Ha-Go because that's the tank that kept Hiroo Onoda company until his eventual surrender in 1974. He married his Type 95 Ha-Go upon his return to Japan in what was the first legally recognized union of man and machine.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jul 22, 2020