Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I don't know if they're actually any good but frey.bike seems to make nicely priced mountain bikes but to get one you're ordering from China. From my research buying named major brands gets you less in the way of hardware but support would be better.

Anyway I'm waiting for my Ride1up lmt'd I opted to go cheapish as I wasn't sure I'd use it. Too hilly to go for the cheapest options. If I like it/actually use it I'll probably get something nicer.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

spwrozek posted:

Components look OK and looks like somewhere between $2500-3500 for one depending on the model. Plus another $200-300 on a dropper seat post. I don't really want to drop that much money on a bike I have never been on but people do it (there are a lot of direct to consumer bikes that do that to cut costs). I am not sure I would want to ride the Frey bike but it could work out. I am not sure how they are able to price it so low honestly, I assume they buy everything at a discount in China. You have $1100 worth of shocks (sure that is consumer prices but even so how low is Rockshox going to go). $160 in tires... When you start to price things up I just have to wonder how they can produce the bike with out some shady poo poo going on. If I am really honest though...it has a spot for a kickstand and comes with one....on a mountain bike. Like I said I am sure there are many other options out there. I am reading a pretty detailed unboxing and it was $800 to ship it to the US, Ouch. The motor size/control would also be an issue on a number of trails that do allow ebikes. I might just keep editing this as it is fun...68 lbs though, the SC Heckler is 47 lbs.

I will stop making GBS threads up the thread though. It anyone has a frey bike and is in colorado I would love to see it go down longhorn and see how it does.

I think the 800 shipping number is air shipped and covid is making shipping more expensive.

stephenthinkpad posted:

The Bafang Ultra is a monster drive train. It's kind of ebike you get when you are ordering your third ebike. Also check out Sur-ron line of "ebikes" if you plan to spend that kind of money for speed.

The Sur-ron is a motorcycle. I do think Luna Cycle is something to consider as they are willing to use the beefier bafangs (when compared to like bosch/brose/yamaha etc) and offer belt drives which appeals to me.

Edit: Although Luna Cycle support is supposedly not great, and the warranty isn't long.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 8, 2020

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Ordering direct from China is a Faustian bargain. You get all this stuff, but they never said it would actually work, not have strange holes in them, be mounted in the right places, or come out of the box in a pile of dust. The savings is in omitting the middle man.

E-bike companies take their share but also buy in bulk, inspect the bikes beforehand, and take some responsibility if the bike is defective. The better ones will develop a relationship with their manufacturers instead of being just a front end for AliXpress.

Of course there's risks involved it becomes a matter of weighing those risks with the potential for savings and or getting a better equipped bicycle.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 28, 2020

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

This kind of thing I think will ultimately harm the industry. Electric bikes are getting pretty good right now, but you can't find many sources of people that talk about them unbiased and level headed.

I have some feeling with the capital that Rad Power Bikes is getting that they'll lead the way to commoditizing electric bikes, reduce their price, but also kill off a lot of small outfits. People need to talk more about what that means but instead we get this "wow I totally never tried an ebike and I was given this one to review and weeeeeeeee!"

Absolutely your choices are going to be big brands/luxury brands and the cheap stuff. Seems to be the end game for every market.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 5, 2020

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

You shouldn't let your battery run below 20%, it will shorten your battery life span a lot.

What could be more fun than min maxing battery capacity? You can even treat yourself to a fancy charger! https://www.ebikes.ca/product-info/cycle-satiator.html

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 9, 2020

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

(e) your url captured the dot at the end up there , DaC ^^

I know, believe me I'm annoyed. ADHD is a complete loving arse at times :mad:

well, such is life i guess. at least now I know it's not impossible to move - just bloody hard work

Fixed. Best practices as far as battery care are good to know but I wouldn't worry about not following them perfectly. At least I don't with my laptop/car and won't when my bike arrives.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 9, 2020

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Ride1up lmt'd. Good enough for the hills around here which was the goal.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Ha! I was wondering why my ride1up ebike had a picture of a tv on the box. https://www.businessinsider.com/dutch-bike-company-tvs-on-boxes-2016-9

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Picture time.

edit: There was another picture here, don't worry about it.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 27, 2020

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

No hiking? Why would they ban the activity thats least likely to spread the virus?

I assume they just don't do hiking it has nothing to do with the virus.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I kind of want this https://wattwagons.com/collections/hydra/products/hydra Do I need a $4,299.00+ bike? Nah do I want it? Yes.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Yes I have indeed seen both of those previously. You get less bike but you get a known large brand with the ability to try it in a store, have warranty work done by store etc. I'm also a dummy and thought that one had a belt drive as their other models do. (which would be unusual on a full suspension bike).

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 30, 2020

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCaDz_2YcGQ&t=591s

Fire. Pretty.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 30, 2020

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Voodoofly posted:

Is there an easy way to charge the battery back up to 80?

As I type this I guess a simple socket timer and experimentation would work.

Fancy smancy charger.

https://ebikes.ca/product-info/grin-products/cycle-satiator.html

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

Hey Something Awful Forums User Duck and Cover, how is your Ride1Up bike holding up? I have a coworker who is thinking about one.

It's fine. I think I messed up my brakes (it isn't a smooth transition of breaking power anymore) riding on something I shouldn't have (I'm not really sure what happened I don't remember either a stick got stuck in something or when I fell it messed something up, both or something else). I wouldn't suggest someone get it if they knew they liked biking and could afford better, but it isn't garbage either.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 13, 2021

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Carth Dookie posted:

Is this thread ok with me talking about my electric unicycle?

I ordered one and it's supposed to be coming this Friday and I'm wondering if this is the thread to talk about my learning experiences or if I should be looking somewhere else.

Edit: the worst snipe.

I didn't know those existed. Anyway I've been considering upgrading my Ride1up LMT’D to a Priority Current if I can get the Costco price of $2600 I lose front suspension/throttle but gain a belt drive/fenders/lights and it might be more capable of hills.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 18, 2021

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Carth Dookie posted:

If you want to climb 35 degree inclines without pedalling, may I suggest a electric unicycle (EUC)?

:haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDMSghr-FAI

Oh I've seen one of those things before for some reason my mind didn't think that was what was meant by an electric unicycle. Probably because my mind was thinking giant unicycle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esLi9IUOiUw.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I preordered my Priority Current https://www.prioritybicycles.com/products/current it's $700 off (making it $2600+shipping) if you have a Costco membership and email them. I hope it's good.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 19, 2021

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Which colour? It’s not to everyone’s taste but I like a well designed white bike, and that one of fantastically well done.

I was on the fence but went with dull charcoal thinking it'd end up dirty anyway. Now if they offered it in https://www.google.com/search?q=che...iw=1897&bih=909 I absolutely would have selected it.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

CopperHound posted:

There is a ton of good technical information on that forum, but I have to remain dubious about what those forum regulars consider an appropriate amount of power for an ebike.

More.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

My Priority Current Arrived, how exciting. Now to sit here instead of putting it together because I'm lazy.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

frogbs posted:

So i've been reading and watching a lot of e-bike reviews, and based on comments it seems like theres at least two main e-bike user groups:

1.) People who want a bike that helps them a little in terms of effort, usually for running errands/getting groceries, etc.

2.) People who want an e-moped and don't really want to pedal at all (i've seen comments about putting motorcycle tires on e-bikes).

There also seems to be a big divide in terms of pricing. Not even necessarily Rad Power vs. the more expensive mid-drive models, but non-name chinese stuff vs anything else. It's really interesting. I found this comment on a Tern HSD review:

I get that there's huge price disparities, but I don't think anyone would turn their nose up at a free Tern!

I guess what i'm getting at is that the e-bike market is pretty varied, which is actually a good thing! Lots of different use cases out there, certainly different than the regular cycling market.

That looks pretty nice! Please post a trip report once you get it going!

Duck and Cover posted:

Hey it looks more like a bike. No I didn't unscrew something I shouldn't have what makes you think that? (I totally did brake fluid is the reason for the paper towels, oopsie)

I have tried it since then and it's nice however on like 3-5 assist level it has a whistling noise which is kind of annoying. The mid motor feels smoother then the hub on my previous bike (ride1up lmt'd). At 2630 (Costco discount) I'd say it's worth it but I'm not sure about 3300. Just my initial opinions as I didn't go very far.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Walked posted:

Looking for an eBike for new neighborhood- will be condensing down to 1 car for the family and using a portion of selling my car for an ebike

Budget flexible but up to 5k isn’t a huge deal; above that I have to think a bit harder but can go higher is something seems absurdly perfectly tailored

Want something that will primarily be used throttle-only (have a bunch of real bikes for when I want to scratch that itch)

Currently looking at the Juiced Scrambler on the low end, Luna on the middle (all OOS at the moment), and Onyx RCR on the upper end (long wait time).

Open to thoughts or ideas. Mostly be 10-20mi trips or less.

How about a Sur Ron?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Charles posted:

OK this may be opening a can of worms but do any ebikes have an auditory warning system the way an electric car does? I was walking on the path yesterday and those folks who ride at full throttle and don't call / ring their bell can be difficult to detect / process the sound until they're really close. I think it would be nice if those could be included. Programming your own would be nice. My car makes a harp sound but Teslas can be programmed for other stuff, so at least it'd be fun if you sound like a TIE Fighter.

Garmin makes a radar that'll pick up cars, might pick up bicycles too. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/601468

edit: Oh that's not what your talking about my bad. I suppose you could attach one to yourself and get kind of what you want.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 17, 2021

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

2800 for a bike with a no-name motor is kinda meh?

It isn't quite no name. Truckfun? I think that's what it is I don't remember. I probably mentioned in in one of my previous posts but I'm too lazy to go back. It's no Bosch or Bafang though.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Feb 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I've learned if you're fast enough things can't catch you. Trust me egg shaped doctors don't stand a chance!