Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Would I be an rear end in a top hat if I bought a class 3 bike and used it on the MUP? The Benno is only in stock in the speed version at bike shop (2023 wait time for Class 1, or I can get a step-through now). I'm in Santa Clara county where class 3 is prohibited on the path but I don't see how anyone would know unless I'm exceeding speed limits or cause an accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I like to think I’m a courteous rider. I slow down to power walking speed when I pass kids, dogs, olds etc. I’m not going to be gunning it on the path

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I read the article and it has no loving clear point. It seems like his problem is entirely with taxonomy, and how he is personally confused by ebikes being different from bikes (they have a motor).

lmao

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Since I got my ebike, I'm avoiding getting t-boned on a daily basis by drivers rolling intersections and lining their A-pillar perfectly with me. Getting kind of annoying tbh having to stop or slow down to near zero until I make eye contact, but it's not going to change so stay safe e-goons.

I don't think this happens as much on my regular bikes. I'm not exaggerating when I say it happens every time I go out.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Aperture Priority posted:

Does anyone have suggestions for decent quality locks for fat tire bikes or if there's a thread that covers that? They'll be stored inside overnight and in a secure location during the day, more concerned with biking downtown and having dinner and hanging out.

I have an OnGuard Beast chain lock for my front wheel and securing the frame to a fixed object. I have a u lock for the back wheel that fits around the fattish tire just barely. I’ll take a pic if I remember. Gotta be like 20 lbs of locks lol

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Why do prototype bikes always have to gently caress with the wheels? Leave the wheels alone, design students!

Also it’s a dumb idea that won’t happen for many reasons, not the least of which is having to go to the non-existent hydrogen store frequently vs plugging into my wall at home.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

A Bag of Milk posted:

I've ridden my bike less than 200 miles after getting my brakes replaced and the new ones are already squeaking up a storm. The mechanic assured me that these were much higher quality than the old brakes, and would last much longer. And I've been deliberately as gentle as I can with braking. Now I receive a marketing email "What do you think of your new semi-metallic brakes?" Well, they stink! Lol. Don't buy Radpower.

Did you bed them in?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Huggybear posted:

You can totally drill out any rim. I've drilled hundreds in my time. You just need a deburring bit to finish. And newbies, I kindly disagree, with the right tools and instructions anyone can do most work on their own bike. Maybe not building wheels or suspension overhaul but for the most part it's an easy and even fun trade to learn.

Conspicuously absent from your first post was the tip about deburring

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

blk posted:

Hello friends, my previous e-bikes included a Faraday Porteur (sold) and a Trek Crossrip+ (stolen).

I’m thinking of buying a cargo bike to take my kid to school and then go on to work. About 20 miles / 2000 ft round trip.

I tried the Term Quickhaul P9 Performance before but noticed on a flat test ride how quickly the battery drained at higher boost with my kid onboard - we had to keep it in touring mode and around 15 mph. It didn’t feel like it had a tremendous advantage over pulling him on his tagalong on my normal road bike.

I saw that Specialized just launched a cargo e-bike (hub instead of middrive) - has anyone had experience with that? Is there any reason besides cost why they’d go for a hub motor?

I’m wondering if y’all have found a class 3 cargo bike that you can really get up to speed that holds its charge. Unfortunately my kid is now too big for a Yepp seat.

Sounds like you need a bike with a double battery option.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

theflyingexecutive posted:

I'm looking for a recommendation for an ebike for BuRnInG mAn. If you're not super familiar, it's a giant desert art party and everybody only gets around via foot power, bike, or giant weird art car that has to be preapproved (i.e. you can't just tool around in a sedan, it has to be like a pac-man ghost or fire octopus). The ground there is flat but gets really rutted and covered in the shittiest alkaline clay dust, so I'm looking for something with fat wheels and not a lot of finicky parts. I don't need speed (technically the event-wide speed limit is 5 MPH), just reliability and also the ability to plug in to battery power for accessories. Price-wise, I'm looking on the cheaper end, $1000-$1300 ideally. Thanks!

Probably just rent something and bring a goal zero thing for your accessories. If the speed limit really is 5mph you do not need an ebike.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Just whatever super73 copy e-mopad you can for cheap on Amazon or Alibaba.

Don't do this pls

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

The idea of buying a disposable ebike for a one off-event is so lame. Best of luck

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Gangringo posted:

I've had my eye on a long tail cargo bike. At the moment I have a Lectric XP 1.0 and a large dog trailer that I also use for cargo. I would like to have the same capacity for hauling stuff and the dog without having to faff around with a trailer and a higher torque motor really meant for this job.

What I would like to build is a sort of bike pickup truck with a platform that can hold a large plastic tub securely on the back or a bunch of bags held down with a cargo net. I'm trying to find examples of people doing this, but I only see it on the front loader type cargo bikes and I'm wondering if there's a reason for that. Does it make the center of gravity too high? Is the back rack too narrow and can't handle that wide of a load?

Edit: by large plastic tub I mean the 27 gallon tubs they sell at Costco.

This guy uses a U-Line crate on his longtail to carry his dog around. Seems pretty rugged but it would take a fair bit of training for a dog to get used to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nbrn4jC7FY

Last I checked there's a minimum order and shipping can cost an arm and a leg.

https://www.uline.com/BL_768/Mesh-Straight-Wall-Containers

The Wiggly Wizard fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 31, 2023

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I think you should consider a hybrid system with some big panniers for the bulk and a shallow crate on top. My mid tail feels most stable when I load up the panniers. I wouldn't want the center of my cargo mass much higher than the top of the rack.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

It doesn't open for me but I'll take your word for it that they're shitheads. Too bad because they have some good quality stuff.

e: lol jesus christ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_and_Elizabeth_Uihlein

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Sentient Data posted:

Does tube brand matter much? I've gotten a couple flats on https://www.walmart.com/ip/904357201 from I'm assuming things like broken glass on the side of the road but I'm blaming the stock tires rather than the tubes and plan to get some marathon plus tires - I had those on a diy job a few years ago and loved them

It's pretty much entirely the tire's job to stop punctures. You could use a slime tube, but I think it's better to go with something like the marathon pluses

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

Try not to charge them to 100% or discharge them to zero. REALLY try to not charge them below 15C.

How much longevity does this add to a bosch battery? I ran mine down to zero yesterday and limped home, and I pretty much always plug my bike in to charge overnight.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Huh that's news to me. I've had my ebike about a year. I wonder how long they're expected to last.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

quote:

Several states, including California, have passed laws prohibiting children under the age of 16 from operating e-bikes.

Lol I had no idea. It's an ebike summer renaissance for middle school kids around here.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

https://www.bicycling.com/culture/a42690937/molly-steinsapir-lawsuit-rad-power-electric-bike/

hosed up case. Grieving and probably negligent parents are also both lawyers. In the story they give permission to the kids to ride an older sibling's ebike, and they would presumably know about the local terrain (sustained 14% grade). Nothing specific seems to point to Rad being at fault but as has been pointed out here, they are cheap junk bikes and the company hasn't shied away from kids using them.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

Would be nice to have some butt cargo capacity and the capability to carry an adult passenger, but I don't need a full-on cargo bike.

I would consider anything that can carry an adult passenger to be a cargo bike. In fact, an extra adult might exceed the weight limit on many cargo bikes so read the stats carefully! Max cargo weight usually includes the weight of the bike, and the front and rear racks will have their own max weight too.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Veskit posted:

I am totally lost in all of the options, but if I have about a 6000 dollar budget what bikes should I look at for regular city riding outside of the turbo Vado and the gazelle series?

That could get you a very nice bike. Probably a class 3 with good torque and battery. Maybe look at Reise and Muller, Benno, Tern, and Stromer.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Bennos seem to be on clearance sale 30% off as well wherever you can find them. Very happy with mine after about a year of regular use.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Ham Equity posted:

I took a Rad Power for a test drive today, my first time on a bike in a couple of decades. It was mildly terrifying, especially taking it down a pretty significant hill, but it seemed to handle bumps and pot holes pretty well.

Is there a good YouTube video or anything for learning to do hills on an e-bike, or is it pretty much just get a feel for it with practice?

Going up the motors are much happier if you gear down early and keep a moderate to spinny pedaling cadence.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Looks like a design student project that someone decided to actually produce.

Just use normal spoked wheels!!

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

My wife and I were really disappointed at the 59 pound weight rating on the rear rack, it's not set up as a kid carrier which is fine, but so many of those utility style bikes are.

We're really looking for something smaller and lighter than a full size longtail to carry a single kid, I guess the Term Quick Haul is the cheapest decent option out there.

Aventon Abound is cheaper and has a 143 lb rear weight limit. Might be a junker though

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Ham Equity posted:

I was talking to a friend who is into biking, and he recommended a Benno Boost. They have a high weight capacity, and there is a local store that works on them; they're definitely pricey, but still way cheaper than a car (or even just parking). Anything wrong with them?

I've got one and love it! I needed to swap the seatpost for something longer (I'm 6'4" tho). I also swapped out the bars and the saddle but the stock ones are fine.

The tire size of 24"x2.6" is somewhat unusual. If I can't get replacements in the future (Benno does sell them at the moment), Schwalbe makes 24"x2.35" ebike tires that I'm hoping will work.

Get the dual kickstand for sure.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

theflyingexecutive posted:

I'm looking for a recommendation for an ebike for BuRnInG mAn. If you're not super familiar, it's a giant desert art party and everybody only gets around via foot power, bike, or giant weird art car that has to be preapproved (i.e. you can't just tool around in a sedan, it has to be like a pac-man ghost or fire octopus). The ground there is flat but gets really rutted and covered in the shittiest alkaline clay dust, so I'm looking for something with fat wheels and not a lot of finicky parts. I don't need speed (technically the event-wide speed limit is 5 MPH), just reliability and also the ability to plug in to battery power for accessories. Price-wise, I'm looking on the cheaper end, $1000-$1300 ideally. Thanks!

Updates pls

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Sick dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Guinness posted:

I do think I'm leaning toward the Quick Haul, a P9 Sport is a hair under $4k out the door kitted out the way I want. A similarly equipped Boost is nearly $6.5k, and doesn't seem to accommodate a frame lock either. Not a deal breaker but a nice feature for daycare/playground parking. Yeah the Boost is an overall nicer bike and more comparable to an HSD, but if the QH fits my uses cases that's a lot of savings and I appreciate the simplicity and lighter weight too. Could almost buy a second bike with the price difference.

I have a Boost. I’m really happy with it. It came down to the GSD and the Boost for me, but the proprietary stem thing on the Tern couldn’t accommodate my height. Since the boost is closer to a normal bike, I did an easy handlebar and stem swap with no problems. The lack of a cafe lock on the Boost is big, but I just carry two locks now.

If you can make a tern fit, I can see why the price difference could push you that way.