Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

frogbs posted:

I do feel this occasional e-bike guilt, where it's helping me go up a killer hill I normally wouldn't try, and I feel like I should be working harder. Overall it's getting me out more, but I can't shake that feeling sometimes. Anyone else get that?

🤷🏻‍♂️

People using regular bikes could always be running up those hills instead of relying on the crutch of a machine. I don’t think that any one way is more valid, it’s just what you personally enjoy more and can/will do.

I’m a bit bummed in a way that I will probably have to mostly use an e-bike thanks to my exceptionally poor stewardship of my knees while running in my youth, but that’s just because I really enjoy the runner’s high/meditative parts of intense extended cardio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

CopperHound posted:

By any chance do you store your bike upside down or by hanging the front wheel?

I am not doing this, but why should I not do this?

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Is there anyway to get access to the SmartFit sizing program as just a regular person? I’m looking at bikes and am having trouble finding many which come in my size, but do have my measurements for that program. I’m in the US, and it seems like a bunch of e-bike companies don’t have the right size, and any given in person store usually has such a small selection it’s not super helpful. It would be nice if there was a way to search across a bunch of sites at once.

Also related to this, is it ever the case that you can get EU only models sent over to the US? A lot of these companies seem to have some frame sizes as EU only since they are Dutch, which if they were available would be ideal.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

If its anything like the older BBS02 I have, its just an encoder that sense pedaling yes/no. If yes it applies power until it reaches some preset motor RPM. I found this to be terrifying and dangerous to ride and disabled it immediately in favor of throttle+not riding like a jackass.

Having ridden a bike with a Swytch a few times, it’s definitely not terrifying at all. The power it’s giving you just isn’t that much (which also makes it not a huge help in eg very steep hills). But yeah, it is definitely not super natural feeling to ride - I didn’t realize how much better other e-bikes were at making the assist feel natural until I tried test driving some other ones.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I sold a motorcycle last year and am looking at e-bike options for my wife and I. Want to be able to ride around lovely dirty roads, eventually also with kids once they have and can ride bikes.

I have $4,000 so I am trying to keep stuff in the <$2000 a pop range, which I know is not high end, but I've seen a lot of stuff around here.

I'm more concerned with finding something I can source and have maintained locally (Burlington or Middlebury VT) than getting "the absolute best thing I could" if that means "you have to send it back to CA for any service".

We live up nasty dirt roads, and I'd prefer something that can go faster, than not. I am lazy and don't like to pedal much, my wife does like to pedal. Make/model suggestions appreciated!!

e: something not capped to 20mph is more interesting than something that is. Long term I probably also want a Surron dirtbike but that is likely not in the cards this year.

From my experience test driving bikes if you don't want to pedal you actually kind of have more options imo. It seems like a lot of the difference between some of the fancy vs less fancy ebikes is how natural their assist feels when you are pedaling.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

cinnamon rollout posted:

Hi everyone, I've been looking into getting an ebike but I'm having trouble finding what would be a good fit for me.
I'm mostly going to be riding on a trail that is dirt or crushed rock, and well maintained. I'm also 6'6" and I am prone to back problems.
The only ebike I've ever ridden is a bike from rad power bikes that my father has, and it seemed pretty good.
Currently I have my eye on a couple of bikes, an x premium from lectric bikes, an aventure 2 from aventon, and a ripcurrent s from juicedbikes.
Please tell me which of these are bad or good choices and why, I don't want to make a bad purchase and have this nice bike sit unused in a shed all year, I want to exercise.
I really like the xpremium bike but I'm worried I will look like a clown as a big guy on a tiny bike.

I don’t have specific recommendations on those since I haven’t tried any, but can share some stuff I found while trying to get an e-bike (this may not be that useful, I ended up not really finding anything in my price/size range, so take this with a grain of salt).

I’m 6’6”, and found I was about 2 inches too tall for most e-bike manufacturer’s specified height ranges. Depending on your joints and specific dimensions that might be ok.

If you are able to get fitted somewhere (some shops have a little machine that does this, or you could go more expensive and go to a bike fitter) that might help. They can tell you what geometry in a bike would work and then you can compare it to what is out there. Ideally they would also recommend specific bikes, but I think with e-bikes it’s hard to find a place which will do that for direct to consumer brands especially. It seems like depending on your dimensions (eg is your torso long? Your arms?) different stuff can fit or not fit despite manufacturers listed sizes.
Below here are some suggestions for finding a bike which explicitly fits people your height, with the caveat that I am a total novice at knowing how bikes fit:

In general, a step through model is almost never going to fit you according to mfgr specs, they tend to be for people who are shorter (folding bikes excluded somehow).

You could convert one of the bikes on this list to electric: https://www.cyclingabout.com/list-of-xxl-xxxl-bikes-for-tall-cyclists-62-63-64cm/

Apart from that, there are some brands which make bikes for up to 6’6”. I didn’t end up finding something quite in my price point, but might circle back later on. I was looking for pedal assist tho, so depending your preference these may or may not be good:

Bike Friday folding bikes can fit a really wide range of heights, and they can do semi-custom fits for talls. They are around $1,700 depending on the model before adding e-assist, which adds $800.

The VanMoof S3 (2.5k) and S5 (3.5k) will both fit you - they are made for Dutch people so they go really tall. A lot of downsides tho like being super proprietary so they are hard to fix.

The XXL Grail:ON from Canyon would probably fit you really well and is extremely nice, but also $4,000.

The HaiBIKE XXL sizes would also fit, but are also $3,000.

If you live in Europe, Gazelle has bikes which will fit you. In the US though they don’t sell their largest frame sizes and also don’t really ship them here.

Riese and Muller have sizes which fit, but are also regrettably maybe the priciest e-bike brand of all the above.

If you have an REI nearby they will take a shot at fitting you for their e-bikes, but they also don’t really go very tall so not super likely to work.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Unless you're disabled in some way you don't need an e-Bike for burning man you lazy gently caress

Recharging IS a problem, cos you'll need a genny. That's fuel and smoke and noise etc. You're tapping into the global petroleum market and that leaves a hell of a trace.

Jealous you're going though.

drat yeah that sucks, before op and his e-bike showed up burning man was such a quiet event which definitely did not release a huge amount of smoke into the air every year in some sort of annual tradition

E: to be clear I support people’s libertarian drug party endeavors and while I care about the climate I think it is very unlikely anyone ITT is an enemy of the climate

tildes fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 9, 2023

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Grumpwagon posted:

Cool, thanks for the suggestions! That Aventon does look nice, but yeah, the prospect of carrying and charging 3 batteries does seem a bit hard to manage. I definitely was figuring something with a 2nd battery built in for range extension like that Blix would be more likely. Shame it hasn't worked out well for you.

I've been looking at the conventional bike manufacturer's ebike offerings. It seems like they're mostly either focused on very racy road bikes, or something like the Cannondale Tesoro Neo X 3. That would probably fit the bill, although it's more of a mountain bike setup (mostly fine, but probably adds weight), more than I was hoping to spend, and cutting it close on the range.

Two possible suggestions:

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/electric-bikes/electric-gravel-bikes/grail-on/grail-on-cf-7/3253.html?dwvar_3253_pv_rahmenfarbe=GY%2FBK

This is just a bit above the range at $3,800 + does not come with an additional battery, but if you’re not doing a ton of climbing it really can tend to hit the ~70 miles it promises with its basic battery.

The Allant+ is supposed to have a very long (80~ mile) range also. If you get it from something like the Pro’s Closet it’s in the price range, otherwise it’s similarly over.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Any recommendations for a light step through e-bike? For someone who is older and thus would have trouble lifting a heavier bike/getting their leg high enough to go over a non step through frame. I think they’d like something with pretty wide tires (eg 50c or something), and a more upright riding position. Are there any good candidates?

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Is there a difference in how much the 2023 vs earlier versions of the Vado use the app? It seems like it is highlighted more on the most recent models page, and I am a bit leery of apps instead of on bike controls, but I may be totally misunderstanding

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

PRADA SLUT posted:

Can someone rec me an electric bike for a combo of commuter + funbike? Mainly riding it as a commuter about 10 miles (each way) along a paved beach path (not a road, like a concrete path bisecting sand). While I don't intend on going raw through actual sand, it might happen and there will def be sand strewn along the path (so probably those fatter smallish tires?). Looking for an ebike because I might be tired/lazy/whatever and want some throttle. Would be nice to have some butt cargo capacity and the capability to carry an adult passenger, but I don't need a full-on cargo bike.

Something like a RadRunner though doesn't have to be exactly that.

Flyer M880 is fairly similar to RadRunner I think, but without the sort of sketchy safety record (in that it has no record at all instead): https://flyer.radioflyer.com/flyer-m880.html

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Do you want it to feel like a normal bike when you’re riding it, or is it ok if it’s heavier etc? I feel like if you are mostly using it for just getting around the bikes below $2k I’ve tried (eg now the Flyer M880) are solid.

E: tho now I’m nervous about all these bike’s brakes lol

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Vanmoof bankrupt: https://www.gearpatrol.com/outdoors/a44535158/vanmoof-ebikes-bankruptcy/

It seems like cowboy is developing an app to make sure your bike doesn’t get bricked, but crazy. Can’t believe huge quickly it went from huge funding round to out of business. Rly one of the worst bike companies to go bankrupt in terms of its effects on their customers given how proprietary everything is.

a better article: https://techcrunch.com/2023/07/18/from-vanmoof-to-vanpoof-how-did-the-e-bike-pioneer-go-bankrupt-even-as-the-market-boomed/

tildes fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 20, 2023

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Does anyone have e mountain bike recommendations? Particularly stuff which has a very big largest size. Not as interested in downhill stuff, but would like to do more blue/green trails. It seems like some of the ones which keep showing up are stuff like the Spectral:ON, nukeproof megawatt, and specialized turbo levo? They’re all pretty $$$ but it seems like maybe that’s just how e mtbs are?

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Hollismason posted:

I don't bike on any road that is not max limit 35 miles per hour. I also avoid 4 lane roads as much as possible. I have a regular bike that gets me around but my ebike will be for commuting.

I think I've got my route planned, I mean it'll take just a slight amount of backtracking but its pretty much a straight shot bike lane then nice residential street that doesn't probably have a lot of traffice.

You could check if you’ve got a bike advocacy group in your area. Where I live they’ve got some nice established routes for common commutes they share out. The one other thing to avoid is left hand turns as much as possible imo. You can always hook turn, but it’s slow and I find myself getting lazy with it.

Nocheez posted:

You might have better luck in the mountain bike thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933905

Ty for this! Didn’t realize we had one

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Barry posted:

Weird that they're bankrupt, I was in Amsterdam a few months back and the amount of Van Moofs there is astounding. Multiple parked on every street, I must have seen a few hundred just walking around town for 4 or 5 days. Not as ubiquitous as the black bikes but they're everywhere. Which makes sense because they're a Dutch company and all.

It sounds like the support costs were super high? But yeah, I would be curious to get a more detailed breakdown, it still seems pretty hard to understand.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Pham Nuwen posted:

I just ordered the first gen and will pick it up this afternoon. Looking forward to it, the hills here in south san francisco are killers.

edit: what's the right way to lock something like this? the wheels are small so it seems like it'd be a challenge to use a U-lock. Back in Rochester I used a 5' length of proper chain from the hardware store + a hefty master lock, just threaded through both wheels and the frame...

I feel like something like this would be pretty secure in a similar way to your old solution: https://www.kryptonitelock.com/en/products/product-information/current-key/999492.html

Not sure it would have the length to thread through both wheels though

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Have also gone in on the REI e-bike, with the 1.1. I figured I’d prefer the front suspension to the front rack all things considered. Especially given that I don’t have kids I think this will also let me do whatever cargo stuff I need and if I really get into it I can always stick on a trailer.

kimbo305 posted:

A little disappointing that the motor had that little juice. Which gear were you in / what cadence were you at?

Was going to say this seems like maybe a gear or assist thing, based on my test ride as a fairly heavy person when you’re in top assist it really sends you. Granted however I wasn’t going up anything crazy steep.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Pham Nuwen posted:

It's about a 12-13% grade. I tried the lowest gear and felt like the motor wasn't giving me very much; on a later run up the same hill, I found that putting it in a mid gear and standing up on the pedals worked better. All the rest of my ride, the assist was great and got me up hills no problem.

I'm also fat and out of shape.

This is good to know! It does feel like figuring out how to coax out the amount of assist you want can be super tricky.

(Also being converted to try a suspension seatpost)

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Ham Equity posted:

Is there a good bike for fatasses that's easy to get serviced in Seattle that isn't Rad?

If you're under 300 lbs (which I think is similar to Rad's weight limits), I have to imagine it would be easy to get the (currently very discounted) REI bikes serviced in Seattle: https://www.rei.com/product/189967/co-op-cycles-generation-e11-electric-bike

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Ham Equity posted:

I'm a bit over 300 pounds, and it has to haul my fat rear end up First Hill.

It might be easiest to find some local shops selling ebikes and test drive some stuff? I think that would make it easier to get a sense of if they will give the assist you'd want, and usually they service whatever brands they sell.

I think most light cargo bikes would tend to work for your weight requirements. So Tern HSD/GSD like kimbo mentioned or a Specialized Globe Haul.

This would be taking it to another level of expense/how nice the bike is, but Reise and Muller cargo bikes would of course work, but I think so might the Superdelite and maybe some of their others. From test riding them they are extremely nice, but also super expensive.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

CopperHound posted:

Since online ebike reviews are universally garbage I was hoping one of you might know the answer to this before I go out of my way to check:
Does the REI Generation e1 have any sort of torque sensor or is the PAS cadence only?

https://www.reddit.com/r/ebikes/comments/13w7mn6/rei_generation_e11_first_impressions/

This says yes for starting the motor but I would also be surprised if the PAS is torque in general. Assist didn’t feel bad but definitely not as natural as really nice bikes.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

kimbo305 posted:

I think all the stickers have the same kind of adhesive, which is sticky but not that sticky, like it won't rip apart if you try to take it off.
But durable enough if you have a smooth surface to apply it to.

Last call for them, gonna order some time this week

Ordered these on Redbubble, I love them! Ty for organizing

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

kimbo305 posted:

Sweet. I saw the notification for it, and apparently the default margin is 20%. I'm happy to refund that if you want, while I figure out where to set the margin.
e: ok, I found it. I set the margin down to 5%, which works out to 11-14c depending on which sticker you get.

Don't worry about it! Would rather add zero more effort for you on top of everything you've already done :)

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Appoda posted:

Hi thread! I've been thinking about getting an ebike as a commute alternative, a low-impact exercise incentive, and just for funsies. Since this is my first ebike, I want to start on the cheaper end -- <$1500, though I could do up to $2000 if there's a great reason to.

My needs: The most I'd be going for a work commute is ~8.5 miles one way, 1-2 times a week at most. More often I'd be using it to get around town, which is just a few miles away. I live in a semi-rural area; within the city limits of a small town, but just barely. There's isn't much of a cycling culture here but there are cycle lanes, some of them death traps, and sidewalks that no one uses. I'd like something that can handle gravel, trails, neglected sidewalks, and maybe even grass and dirt from time to time.

Here's the bikes I've been looking at, after reading the last ~10 or so pages of the thread:

Co-op CTY e1.1 - $1300. They offer membership into a cult which I find appealing. No throttle tho; I'd kinda want one of those for getting through busy intersections after coming to a stop. Unless that's not as big a deal as I'm imagining?
RadRover 6 Plus - $1400. I like the big tires for the aforementioned semi-rural environment, but apparently they're not doing great, business-wise?
TENWAYS CGO600 Pro - $1700. Sounds like a gaming mouse, looks like a normal bike. Has a torque sensor apparently? Really light too
Soltera Ebike - $900. Cheap compared to the others for sure. Is 350W low power for an ebike? Also offers step-through model at the same price; not sure how useful/desirable that is when I can lift my legs just fine
Aventure Ebike - $1500. Big tires. 73lbs sounds heavy tho.

Suffice to say I don't really know what to look for when it comes to a starter ebike; I'm hoping to rent one this weekend if the weather holds up. For the pros, which of those has the best bang:buck, or you'd recommend first for a noob? Open to other bike suggestions too, or corrections on the usefulness of things like throttle, big tires, etc. 'ppreciate y'all! Sorry for all the questions, I'm sure I'll have many more once I'm out there rollin.

Fake E: oh yeah and is it worth looking for used ebikes? Me not knowing anything about their mechanics and the natural wear of electronic parts/batteries makes me think that'd be a tricky path.

I have the e1.1, which is the cargo REI bike. This was when it was on an even steeper sale than it is on now, but I think it would have been worth it even at a higher price. The tires are thick enough (and there is front suspension) that I've found that it handles mud/dirt trails/bad pavement pretty well. It also feels great when hauling a bunch of weight, and has a ~40 mile range depending on the assist. It feels good when you are going ~15 mph. Assist goes up to 20 mph, but the gearing is such that your cadence needs to be pretty high to keep it around that speed -- like 90-100 rpm or something. This might feel pretty unnatural even if you are used to higher cadence cycling. But, you also probably would not want to go that fast on it super often imo - it feels a bit twitchy at that speed, especially without cargo. With cargo, however, it feels awesome, and in general handles carrying stuff really well with its super low center of gravity.

Overall though I really love it. I used to do errands on my road bike with a rack/panniers, and that worked, but it definitely did not feel at all as stable when loaded up, and the prospect of dragging my groceries up a hill would sometimes stop me from biking. With the ebike all of that barrier went away.

Throttle I didn't find to be a problem -- if you jack the assist up and drop the gears before stoplights it will usually get going without much of an issue. Throttle would be a little easier, but it wasn't a huge deal for me either way.

I'm not totally sure if I would want it as my only bike though -- I feel like I'd probably prefer going with something with bigger diameter wheels/more normal bike geometry if it was my only bike/if hauling groceries etc. was not as important to me.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

CopperHound posted:

That's a different e1.1. This one is a hybrid.

Yup! This would be in the other bike suggestions bucket 👍🏻

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Huggybear posted:

These are neat bikes, like a bargain Tern but maybe without the option to carry children other than a baby seat. I scanned both bikes pretty quickly so I may have missed something, but it looks like the only difference is the battery, 10ah or 14ah if I read correctly. The higher amperage is worth the $250. They come with killer quality tires for an entry level e-bike. Seems like REI has got some smart product developers, I wish more Bafang-equipped ebike companies would follow suit.
e: granted they are both being discontinued

The 1.1 has front suspension instead of front rack, but yeah the rack seems nice

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
I have two questions for the e1.1(/2) owning hive mind.

Has anyone mounted fenders? These claim to have been designed for the e1.1, but also people mention things like having to switch to smaller diameter wheels to fit it to the 1.1: https://ridepdw.com/products/full-e-bike-fenders-20-x-3-1

Has anyone attached a trailer they particularly like to it, and what adapter did you use if so? It seems sort of like this one might work, but I am not really sure: https://robertaxleproject.com/product/trailer-hitch-adapter-for-rad-power-bikes/. I'm not quiiite able to carry as much as I'd like with just two panniers on the rack, so I'm hoping to get to effective full cargo bike status with the addition of a trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

theratking posted:

I'm trying to convince my wife to get an ebike for a short 2-3 mile commute instead of driving (and possibly necessitating buying another car).

We're in Texas so it's hot in the summer, but I'm hopeful this will be a better experience than driving downtown for most of the year. The route is almost entirely on pedestrian/bike paths which include dirt/gravel portions.

She's 5'0" and is only a beginner/nervous about biking regularly so I'm looking for beginner friendly bikes that can accommodate short ppl. Bonus points if maintenance is easy. Neither of us are very handy.

Budget is flexible but I'm nervous about wasting $$ if she doesn't take to it.

Gen e1.1/2 will almost definitely fit her and is very beginner friendly, but definitely see how much stairs are part of her commute and how down/able she is to carry it. It's like 50 lbs, which is not abnormal for bikes in its price range or ebikes in general, but might be a lot for a 5' person depending. My partner is also small, and can handle it A-OK as long as stairs are not involved, but really struggles if a stair appears. In general I really like mine a lot, especially for the price.