Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Where are the dick spoons coming from? I finally got new tires for my boat trailer and a new propeller so hopefully i can take my boat out a few times between now and mid October. It would be extremely dope to catch a walleye or two on a rigid, shiny, wet dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titties
May 10, 2012

rap music posted:

I’m new and started on a pflueger president spin caster combo from dicks for like $70 and love it tbh

Probably should have got a shorter rod tho since I like to find untouched bank spots which usually have a lot of brush and stuff

Good buy imo. I have a 400 president on my steelhead rig that i bought on sale for $40 and i like it so much that i have been looking for a deal on a 300 size to use on my general purpose setup for the last 3 years but i can never find them for less than $60. If you got one with a decent rod for $70 then I'm super jelly tbh

titties
May 10, 2012

LeeMajors posted:

Awesome thanks y'all--especially for the link. Google yields so much goddamned contradictory information it feels like a wash sometimes.

I like my President a lot, but I'm also really happy with my Pflueger Trion and my abu silvermax. Both were in the $30 range i think, the pflueger is a little nicer

All of them definitely feel much better than the bargain combo reels i have from Daiwa and Shakespeare

titties fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Sep 19, 2020

titties
May 10, 2012

My cherrywood hd sucks and i love it

titties
May 10, 2012

Farking Bastage posted:

He's a murdering piece of poo poo in prison

Yeah but did he catch fish or nah

titties
May 10, 2012

I also will fish out of spite tbh

titties
May 10, 2012

Woodpile posted:

I heard somewhere (don't ask, I've forgotten) that you set your drag where your rig falls steadily, not too fast, when you release your bail/bait spool with your rod up at a 45 degree angle.

Sounds odd.

That sounds like the method for setting brakes on a baitcaster, but for a spinning reel the only things i ever heard was "don't crank it down all the way" and "back it off some when you store them for the winter"

titties
May 10, 2012

All my reels are spooled for freshwater with 15 pound power pro or spiderwire, with some good ol trilene mono for leaders of an appropriate weight.

I use a double uni knot if anything needs spliced, but my braids usually terminates in a snap or snap swivel, and i tie a single uni non slip loop in leaders so i can just clip them on. Most of my lures are pre tied so i can swap quickly.

titties
May 10, 2012

I have a pair of the cheap frogg togg bib waders and they've held up well* for 4 years. I've definitely gotten my $40 dollars' worth from them.

They're only good spring to fall, useless in the winter but i knew that going in.

They are absolutely miserable to walk any distance in. I bought a pack with a 3 litre water bag and just enough room for the rolled up waders, first aid kit, snacks, spare socks, and a small box for whatever tackle won't fit in my tackle bag, as well as a 2- section rod broken down and strapped to the side.

It's very hard for me to get down to the river these days because of medical issues and packing it in instead of wearing it has turned out to be a lot easier for me.

*except for the time that i got really drunk on the river and managed to drop a lit cigarette down them while taking a piss. I patched the hole with some rubber tape and gorilla glue and they've stayed dry since

titties
May 10, 2012

Things i have never caught a fish with:

Any topwater bait

Any panther martin / mepps etc. inline trout spinner

A couple of years ago i was fishing my usual spot at the canal and a guy strolls up, starts casting a buzzbait, and on the second cast he gets a northern. He catches 2 more pike in the next 10 minutes, then wanders down to the beach to cast.

I immediately pack my gear and run to the store. I couldn't find a single buzzbait but i did find a big fat topwater buzz plug. I was back at the same spot in less than 40 minutes with a line in the water. I never got a single hit on that bait.

I still fish it out of spite

titties
May 10, 2012

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

:wth: I thought fishing with spinners was easy mode?

It sure seems like it is when my friends do it but i think I'm just bad at fishing.

titties
May 10, 2012

My friend texted me to invite me fishing tomorrow! I became excited.

Then i remembered that i need to get a fishing license. Oh well, no big deal, it takes like 5 minutes at wal mart.

Oh, except you need your driver's license to get a fishing license and mine expired a couple of months ago. Ok, I'll go get a new one tomorrow

EXCEPT MICHIGAN SECRETARY OF STATE IS STILL APPOINTMENT- ONLY AND THE NEXT AVAILABLE APPOINTMENT IS 34 DAYS AWAY

titties
May 10, 2012

I could do it online except i've been rocking the same photo for 12 years and also i might as well get the upgraded id which you have to go in for.

At wal mart they swipe your id to populate the fields on your fishing license, or at least they do at my local store. An expired id won't swipe as valid.

titties
May 10, 2012

Lol poo poo, that was how i did it last year and completely forgot.

E: dear sickening, thanks for reminding me that buying it online was an option. Now i can go fishing and i would like to catch a fish

titties fucked around with this message at 12:28 on May 14, 2021

titties
May 10, 2012

Trip report: i did not catch fish

titties
May 10, 2012

Any fishing is time well spent. Unfortunately the bridge we take to the dam access road is being torn down and we couldn't find another access road in in the time we had left so we hit up a random pond and fished for 30 minutes. Two hours round trip :smith:

titties
May 10, 2012

Planet X posted:

how does one remove the hook from a pike or muskie? grab it under the gill plate, gloves and pliers?

I hope I catch one one day, but I'll probably be unprepared if I do.

If someone has a set of lip grippers you can use those in one hand and pliers or long hemos in the other hand.

A set of long, heavy, curved hemostats are great for removing hooks from toothy rear end holes

titties
May 10, 2012

Bow it until the tip touches the butt and if it snaps in half start throwing hands

titties
May 10, 2012

I always bleed largemouth and smallies as soon as i catch them if I'm keeping them. Bass are already not the most firm or tasty fish, and the faster they bleed out the better.

If it's killed quickly and bled the flesh will be paler and more firm. If it struggles and stresses for a few hours before being cleaned or will have mushier flesh that is dark with blood

titties
May 10, 2012

Yooper posted:

This. They sell them to restaurants and such. Fine by me though, I'll catch mondo bluegills all day.

I wonder why. I've eaten a lot of panfish and if you were to give me filets of bluegill, pumpkinseed, and sunfish i would never be able to tell the difference.

titties
May 10, 2012

My only baitcaster is an abu ambassadeur xlt with left-hand retrieve.

I can't figure out how to set it up. Every time i try to use it out just fires the lure straight down.

titties
May 10, 2012

I watched a few videos right after i got it and was able to use it, but my casting distance wasn't very good. I cleaned it up a little (it's late 80's or early 90's and it had been sitting in a garage for several years), watched a few more videos, fiddled with it a little, and have been completely unable to cast it ever since.

I assume it's some combination of mag brakes and spool tensioner binding it up.

E:

I have a drop shot setup on it but the rod is pretty stiff.

It's a really short old ugly stik rod with a maglite branded pistol grip. Maybe I'll bust it out and post a pic later

titties fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 8, 2021

titties
May 10, 2012

bewbies posted:

Me, lately: :homebrew:

Got what I think is gonna be a great bote:

Is an '89 champion fish 'n ski pushed by a Johnson GT175. Was a classic "old guy" boat that was babied and minimally used and so everything about it looks brand new. It came with a brand new Ultrex TM; I put a Helix 7 graph on the console plus the guy already had a cheapo Garmin on the bow.

Naturally I had to get a new rod also. I've never owned a nice bass setup; got St Croix Mojo with an Abu Garcia Revo SX doing the baitcasting. I wanted to get it wet today but didn't have the time to get it set up, and anyway we had a huge storm last night so nothing would've been biting anyway.

I hosed up one thing; I didn't realize you needed a fancier Ultrex than the one installed in order to integrate with the Helix, so that's a stupid expensive upgrade to make. Otherwise ran everything through its paces today and the whole setup is super smooth.

Anyway I'm pretty pumped, the boat runs like an absolute unit and is great setup for fishing

is me:

I am literally doing this right now.

Unless you're using some kind of ridiculously expensive braid that stuff is cheap enough now it hardly seems worth it to do a backing. I think I've bought like one $16 spool of braided line this year.

Sweet boat, congratulations!

I have definitely had braid slip on the spool of reels that weren't braid-ready so i use a mono backer on any reel that doesn't have some rubber nubs on it.

titties
May 10, 2012

The time that i had my braid slip it was only tied on the spool with a single arbor knot and i was pulling pretty hard on a snag.

You do kind of have to work at it in order to make it an issue but i still back it with a few turns of mono for spools that aren't braid-ready, just because it chaps my rear end a little to spend $15 every time i need to load up a reel.

I'm guessing that a lot of reels already have braid-ready spools these days, especially when you hit upwards of the $50 price point.

titties
May 10, 2012

You can buy literally everything you need online but for some items it looks like you're paying a premium for the pleasure. An ugly stik gx2 combo goes for about $35 - 40 locally but it's $49.99 on Amazon.

It's pretty hard to go wrong here honestly. There are a ton of rods in the $20 - 40 range and spinning reels in the $25 - 60 range that are good for beginners and will last for a very long time. One of the upsides to cheap rods is that they are much more durable than expensive rods but it comes at the cost of sensitivity.

Basically any 6 1/2 or 7' medium rod and 250 or 300 size reel is a useful all-around setup that will handle just about any freshwater fish you're likely to catch.

Avoid zebco spin casters. As far as inexpensive reels go i personally like the abu garcia silvermax and the pflueger trion. Either should run you about thirty bucks, or at least they did pre-pandemic.

titties
May 10, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

Threw a hundo at Dick's (:v:)

Hook prices were insane so i didn't buy too many. i'll probably buy one of the 1k for $10 packs on amazon...other'n that, maybe some fluoro and make some leaders at home? What gaping holes (again, :v:) do i have?

Looks good to me, you might want some jig heads for those plastics, and maybe a couple of mepps or panther martin inline spinners.

I personally would use the monofilament for leaders and get some 15 lb braid.

titties
May 10, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

Interesting. i've kind of assumed that braided line is Advanced Tier but sounds like it'd be okay to get started with. I'll give it a shot!

It was 25 years ago but modern braid is very good and easy to use.

A lot of us only use braid. I use 15 lb power pro on everything except my ultralight rigs.

Personally i pre tie all of my lures with an 8 lb mono leader that terminates in a non- slip loop so i can just clip them onto a clasp tied onto the end of the braid.

titties fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 23, 2021

titties
May 10, 2012

I've always used my dominant hand to control the rod and my off hand to reel.

Every youtube video I've seen with a baitcaster does as your step father has said, though, casting with the dominant hand, then switching the rod to the other hand to retrieve with the dominant hand.

Seems weird to me but that is the way most people do it. The baitcaster i inherited from my grandpa is left hand retrieve because he also thought it was weird to switch hands and retrieve with the dominant hand.

titties
May 10, 2012

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Hey SoCal surf fisher friend, if you're near LA let's surf/rock fish somtime, need more fishing bros.

I'm that weirdo that flips the handles on my spinning reels to reel with my right hand. Started on baitcasters as a youngster and the left hand reel just feels unnatural :(

But do you cast your spinning reel right- handed and then transfer it to your left hand?

The one that gets me is all the campers that show up at the park in the summer. They always have the rod upside down for some reason

titties
May 10, 2012

I lived in Norfolk for 4 years and somehow it didn't occur to me that there were rivers and freshwater fishing in Virginia because I'm not smart. Now I'm sad that i never went

titties
May 10, 2012

My friend bought a 40 dollar fly combo complete with line and reel at Walmart, got drunk as hell at 7 am and pulled 2 trout out of the river having never fly fished in his life. He only hooked human flesh once and it was his own

titties
May 10, 2012

I'm always happy to catch a perch no matter the size, congratulations.

titties
May 10, 2012

I have a 20 horse mariner from 1985. I think mariner is a budget mercury motor?

It has sat outside uncovered for decades, gone years without being run, and it still runs like a champ.

After sitting for the last 3 years it finally needs a new impeller.

titties
May 10, 2012

Honestly, friend, I'm not autistic as far as i know and i still never liked handling the fish or the worms very much.

My dislike of handling the fish was mostly because i started fishing at a very young age and couldn't hold on to the fish very well so i got finned a lot and developed an aversion that i never fully shook. I never liked handling the worms because they're gross af and even as a little kid i hated having sticky or slimy hands.

These days i carry some wipes in my bag to wipe off the worm dirt / slime. Still don't like handling anything that can fin or bite but i power through.

titties
May 10, 2012

Otoh i have probably a dozen different rods that are set up for various specific uses but 9 out of 10 times I'm just using a 6'5" medium cherrywood hd that i got at Walmart for $25 and it's ok enough for panfish, bass, and smaller trout. Maybe a tiny step up from an ugly stick in terms of tip sensitivity.

I've been fishing on and off since the early 80's and a nice rod with, like, actual sensitivity would probably still be completely wasted on me.

I'm perfectly happy to just hoss 'em out with a broomstick, one all-around rod for pretty much anything.

titties
May 10, 2012

I'm from Michigan which is like the cousin that Canada secretly makes out with in the campground bathroom at the family reunion and the majority of walleye that I've caught were on large live minnows or a good old- fashioned red and white dardevle

E: also leeches

titties fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 3, 2022

titties
May 10, 2012

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Red and white daredevils? That's like crack for pike up here, but never heard of them for walleye before.

Like hot cocoa said:

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i've fished all over this province and though i'm normally a river fisherman, when i go up to kawarthas/bancroft i fish the lakes, and almost every walleye i've ever pulled out of the water has been on a big spinner or spoon. when it's cool and overcast (spring and fall), jigging with local bait shop minnows works well too but this'll pull everything in the lake

Spoons and spinners will entice or piss off most predator fish, but just like using minnows you may have many takers.

titties
May 10, 2012

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Just bought some new fishing lures the last couple days, now sitting in my living room in my underwear, watching Bonanza, and organizing/rearranging my tackle box as well as putting my new stuff in its spot.

Its very relaxing, but also exciting at the same time.

Playing with / organizing your lures and thinking about fishing has always at least been as good as going fishing

titties
May 10, 2012

Pron on VHS posted:

I am fishing from a dock/shore situation, on a freshwater lake that has catfish, bass, sunfish, black crappie, bullhead and bluegill.

This is the set of lures I bought : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074W3NY4Q?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Yes, those types of lures can just be tied onto the end of the line. Bobbers are generally for fishing with live bait.

Are you going with someone who has some experience? Different types of lures are meant to be fished with different techniques, and if you have an experienced partner they can help you figure out how to use what you got.

Ideally you will use lures that are the right weight for your rod, reel, and line. The underside of the rod should tell you what lure weight the rod is best used with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titties
May 10, 2012

Pron on VHS posted:

Nah going by myself.

The Ugly Stik Spinning Combo I got has a rod that is 6'6", Medium, and has a Line Rating of 6-14 lbs, and a Lure Rating of 1/4-3/4 (don't know what this means). The line I bought to put on this is a SpiderWire Stealth Braid Fishing Line with a Line Weight of 15 lbs.

That means that it's best to use lures that weigh between 1/4 and 3/4 of an ounce.

Since you'll be solo, you can look up a video on Texas, Carolina, and ned rigging to see how to use those offset hooks and larger plastics, and look up panfish jigging to see how to use the smaller plastics with the jig heads.

That kit looks like it includes some topwater frogs, crankbaits, jerk baits, swim baits, and casting spoons. Now that you have some of the common names for them you can look up some information on how to use them.

Apologies if I'm explaining below your knowledge level. I'm not trying to talk down to you or anything.