Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Yo what up fishing thread.
Despite my interest in fishing in the past I ain't hardly done any fishing the last few years.
Nor do I really keep up with this, the official SA fishing thread!

But here I am, and now need some advice.
In a few weeks I'm going on vacation. Its a lake that I have done a ton of fishing at in the past, but not for several years.
I know a gang of spots for pike, large mouth and small mouth bass, and there are supposed to be some walleye in the lake.

Its in Canadian Shield country, Eastern Ontario. Max depth about 30-35 feet and I'm hoping to pull a few Wallies out of the lake.
Last time I saw a Walleye come out of the lake was about 30 something years ago when my brother just happened to catch one somewhere out in the middle. I don't remember what he was using as I was maybe 10-12 years old at the time and didn't really know that much or whatever.

Last time I got a Walleye was about 20 ish years ago in College, but I was fishing in a river, using black Jig heads, white Mr.Twister style plastic grubs with stinger hooks and worms hooked between the hook on the jig head and stingers. But that was a river, with a current. This a Canadian shield lake with a couple creeks going in, one creek going out (that I know of) and only a couple spots where there is anything resembling a "current".

So uhhh, what kind of poo poo should I use to try and get some Walters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

DoctaFun posted:

Can you name the lake and location so i can look at a map? Or even better yet, if there’s resorts on the lake maybe there’s a depth/contour map available?

I’d say it’s hard to go wrong with a jig and a minnow or a jig and crawler. If it’s a lightly pressured lake in Canada you’ll catch walleyes with that presentation in just about any lake up there.

I’d look for main lake structure(reefs, sunken islands/humps, etc) if you can find a lake map.

If not, main lake points or islands are usually good for at least a couple fish during the summer.

I’d probably target 16-18 feet of water, and if that doesn’t produce I’d slide out to 20-24 feet.

Another option would be to slowly back troll lindy rigs around points/islands. That will cover some water and if there’s a good population of walleye in the lake you should at least run into a couple. Then if you notice a pattern or productive spot, park on top of it and vertical jig.

Current areas can definitely be good too, so fishing where the creek dumps into the lake could be worth trying, just not sure if that type of location is better when your closer to spring/spawning season.

https://www.anglersatlas.com/place/127015/fifth-depot-lake

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.6089891,-76.8681679,2317m/data=!3m1!1e3

IIRC the deepest part of the lake is across the lake from the resort (where I'll be staying).
Thats also about where my brother caught his Walleye like 30 some years ago. Now that I think of it, he may have been using something resembling a wally diver, but it was so long ago I really don't remember. We were both kids out in a boat and probably not really targeting anything specific.

If you draw a line from the point just south of the resort, to due west across the lake, thats about where we were when he got it.
I'll have a boat but just a rental, no fish finder or trolling motor. Just a tinner with a 9.9 on it. There are a few shoals, and sunken points around islands.

Back when I was a kid, the water level was probably about 3-4 feet lower (ok maybe not that much) than it is now, because of beaver dams, so some "islands" are now shoals. I still remember where most of them are, and I'm not planning on bombing around the lake so I hopefully won't poke any holes in the boat.

The light green lilly pads at the north west corner of the lake where the creek comes in is pretty sweet bass and pike fishing, but surprisingly the lilly pad bed at the south end of the lake hasn't given me much luck. Still going to try though. I'll have all week.

E: Also notable, while wading on the beach at the resort several years ago I was just chilling in the water and had a fuckin sunfish bite my nipple.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 3, 2022

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I just checked those out, oooooh, they look neato.

Might have to pick up a couple of them.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Red and white daredevils? That's like crack for pike up here, but never heard of them for walleye before.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Just bought some new fishing lures the last couple days, now sitting in my living room in my underwear, watching Bonanza, and organizing/rearranging my tackle box as well as putting my new stuff in its spot.

Its very relaxing, but also exciting at the same time.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Is there any reason not to use monofilament line thats been on a reel since shortly after I bought it? We're talking somwhere around 10-15 years.

I know that some mono can have a "memory" and that might give me some issues, otherwise knowing me, it hasn't been used that much, I can't remember the weight, but its probably about 15 ish pound test. Don't remember offhand where the line came from, but its probably a Berkely product.

Also, its spent most of its life out of the sun, but probably spent a fair amount of time in a hot car trunk during summers.

Its my secondary rod that I don't use much, usually when I want to either fish two rods for changing baits quick, or I'll use it, when I have a "fishing guest" and give them my main rod since based on the abuse I give that one, I know most people aren't going to break it unless they REALLY gently caress up.

I have similarly aged 30lb power pro braid on my main rod but I'm not worried about that poo poo. It'll change the earth's orbit.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Yooper posted:

I'm headed to northern Ontario near Chapleau for Labor Day weekend, anyone have any tips for walleye about that time of the year?

Going with the kiddo so quantity >> size. I know I'll need lead free tackle for jigs and such. So far I'm hearing jigging with soft baits, white or yellow perchish, and running rock piles and breaks.

I posted some Ontario Walleye questions a few pages ago. Try checking them out and some of the responses. But uhh yeah also goons can feel free to give more specific advice and such. As I would also like to gain more such knowledge.

E: Here's my OP on the subject.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3933162&pagenumber=54&perpage=40#post525268695

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 16, 2022

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

If its got all the bells and whatnot, 100 bucks isn't bad at all.

Don't forget a non-resident fishing license. Anyone over 16 needs it.

Also, do you have a boating license? You need one in Canada for ANY "powered craft" including a canoe with an electric trolling motor.

If you have something similar from Michigan then you'll probably be fine, but if you don't have anything like that then you might need one.
They are really cheap and easy to get though.
https://canadianboaterlicense.ca/

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 17, 2022

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Actually I think its 16 or over now that you mention it.

Don't ask me, I don't make up the rules.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Yooper posted:

Good info on the license, thanks! The park website says : "Federal Regulation now requires us to ask for either proof of Operator Competency or we are required to complete a “Dockside Rental Checklist”, which is valid for the duration of the rental period. " But $22 to get it and have it for the future is a pretty easy choice.

The kiddo is 12, so all he needs is an Outdoors Card as long as I have a valid license.

Got ya. Ontario Parks will probably have that policy across the board, but some private places insist on having the card. For how cheap it is, you might as well.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

How many fishing rods do y'all have?

I have 3. Two "lighter" rods that I typically use for just about everything (bass and pike I guess), and one "heavier" one for if I go down to the river and attempt to catch large trout, salmon and the like. Fish that are regularly above 10 pounds.

So the reason I ask is because: I just spent a week fishing almost every day from a boat and I brought my 2 lighter rods with me, and each had something different tied to it. In this case, a top water, and a crank bait/swim bait on the other.

I found it to work well because I was fishing a lot of weed beds, and had the boat parked just off them, and I could take some casts in to the lily pads with the top water/weedless whatever lure, and then I could use my other rod to cast and retrieve along the edges, or maybe some kind of weedless rigged something or other.

Also because my brother, who is a lot better at fishing than me, does the same except I think he probably has like 10 rods that he uses.
We've been up camping on Georgian Bay and fishing from his boat thats got a whole bunch of fancy poo poo and as we move along he's changing rods constantly. He gets a lot of fish too so it seems like a good technique. And definitely saves time rather than having to retie every time you go from lily pads to weeds, to stumps to rocks etc..

I don't plan on getting 10 fishing rods but I was thinking one more anyway, maybe two.

Just wondering what y'all do about that sort of thing.

E: I'm fishing freshwater lakes and rivers that are typically not *that* big, though occasionally I'll get out on Lake Ontario, Erie, Huron/Georgian bay etc.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Dayum!!

I don't need that many. I was pretty much thinking like 1 or 2 more.
Something like two rods set up for top waters, another for something else weedless thats not a top water, and then one for a crank/swim bait. Or otherwise set up however I think I might need them depending on the lake/river or whatever.

I went ice fishing once, it was cold and miserable, no interest in fly fishing.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Hell yeah! Walleye and Perch are my favorite fish to eat. I just had some of both yesterday.

It was prepared by a restaurant, but whatever. It was right on Lake Erie, and fishing boats launch from the town harbour so it was at least reasonably fresh and not frozen!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

the yeti posted:

This might sound kinda whiny but I'm frustrated with my fishing game and trying to reason through what i can do to improve things. I've done alright this year as a newbie I guess, but I've spent a lot of time going to water that wasn't productive or wasn't fishable and I'm not sure how to tell if i'm trying to fish unproductive water or just need to get gud.

The biggest annoyances I've had:

Vegetation. I've done a handful of 1-2 hr trips and lots of short drives this year that ended up with me at a lake with 50 feet of lily pads or hydrilla all the way around the bank. I realize you /can/ fish that stuff say if you're a bass guy but goddamn if I know how just trying to float fish or throw a spinner or jig.

Getting to the fish from the bank.

Fishing pressure. Driving an hour or two away from the city is doable in the technical sense but it sucks to spend the time and gas to get to a hydrilla farm or watch guys on boats catch 'em 100 yards away all day.
Buy a boat:)

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Sounds like you got a winter of planning ahead of you.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

https://oodmag.com/possible-record-bass-caught-in-lake-erie/

A massive smallmouth bass caught in Lake Erie in Canadian waters near Pelee Island by an Ohio angler might be a new Ontario record.

Gregg Gallagher of Fremont netted the 10.15-pound, 23.75-inch bass using drop-shot and eight-pound test on Thursday, Nov. 3, according to staff with the Ontario Record Fish Registry, which is operated by the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters (OFAH).
a large bass weighed on a tablePhoto: Ohio Department of Natural Resources

The species, length, and 19.275-inch girth were vetted by Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) biologists, who are holding the fish pending confirmation.

“This is certainly the largest smallmouth bass that I’ve ever seen,” ODNR Lake Erie Fisheries Program Administrator Travis J. Hartman stated.

If confirmed, the smallmouth would beat the current record of 9.84 pounds from Birchbark Lake, near Kinmount, northwest of Peterborough. It would also be the only certified 10-pound bass caught in any of the Great Lakes.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I probably mentioned it here before, but a dude once walked me through how to catch gar easy. Then he just paused and said "of course then the problem is you have a gar."

Bowfin are loving fun though. Every time without fail that I catch one some moron nearby insists it's a snakehead and I'm supposed to kill it.
Tell me how.

I've heard people use pieces of rope because their jaws are very boney so it's hard to set a hook in them.

I've tried to get bowfin before but no luck. A friend of mine got one one time though, with me. He said it fought like a motherfucker.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

titties posted:

I've been fishing the same lake since the early 80's. I've pulled untold hundreds of bluegill / green sunfish / pumpkinseeds, crappie, rock bass, and yellow perch. Plenty of largemouth and smallmouth bass. I've pulled Northern pike and walleye, and even an occasional small catfish.

I thought i had caught every kind of freshwater fish that the lake had to offer, so imagine my surprise when i rolled up to my spot one day to find two bowfin sitting on the rocks with spear holes in them.

I had never seen one before and neither of the friends i had with me had any idea what they were either. I had to look it up to determine that they were dogfish and not snakehead.

They were dry as hell, and since the sun was barely up i assumed they were sitting there since the evening before. Since i'd never seen one before i spent a little time just crouched there studying them.

I was shocked to find they were both still alive so i figured i might as well return them to the water. Holed as they were i assumed they would die, but at least they could die more comfortably in the water.

Almost as surprising as the fact that they were alive was the density. They weighed 3 times what i expected.

Ever since then I've really wanted to hook one but i have no idea where to look or how to target them.
I don't know too many people who target them, but they seem to say use stuff like worm balls and chicken livers. Drag on the bottom. I think it's similar to what you use for catfish ?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I got taken by the "kicktails" from about 15 years or so ago.

They were the first jointed lures I saw that had more than 2 segments. I see lots of them now, but they were the first ones I saw and I thought they were soooooo cool.

Don't think I've had much luck with them, but then I don't have much luck with anything.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Charliegrs posted:

Any folks here have a boat and live in an apartment? How do you do it? Do you keep it in a storage unit?

What kinda of boat? I live in a condo/ apartment and have 17ft lund that I just bought. I got a spot at a city owned marina here on lake Ontario. If there were no spots available I'd have to keep it at a storage place.

Also have a canoe, when I lived in a basement apartment, my landlord let me keep it in the backyard. Since I bought my own place, I don't have anywhere to keep it so it sits in my parent's backyard.

I could *probably* keep it on my patio at my place as I'm on the ground floor, but there isn't a good way to get it there. There's like 15 ft of shrubs I'd have to go through to get it there.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

If that park is in Ontario, you might want to check the regs before doing any bass fishing.

I think that in *most* of the province, bass season doesn't open till last Saturday in June.

Just an fyi

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Charliegrs posted:

I never quite understood the regulations around the seasons for different fish species. Does it just apply to fish you can keep? Because you can't really control what kind of fish you can catch. Although you can kind of "target" certain species so maybe you aren't allowed to do that in the off season?
It applies to all fish in their closed season, catch and release or not, within size limits or not.
You are not allowed to target any fish species for which the season is closed and if for some reason a particular area is declared a sanctuary, you are not permitted to fish for anything, regardless of its season status outside of said sanctuary.

You are correct, targeting fish in the off season is prohibited and you can to an extent control what you catch. Conservation officers have a fair bit of discretion, but if its late May for example and you're using top waters around a weed bed, you're going to have a hard time convincing them that you are fishing for lake trout.
Pulling a red and white daredevil spoon or a bucktail is a pretty decent indication that you're probably trying for Pike though. Or Muskie, which might be closed also.
Using a Wally diver to "try and catch some carp" but Walleye season is closed, or that lake does not have any open season for Walleye? Probably getting fined.

Sickening posted:

I am not a big fan of fishing during the spawn but a lot of this is completely inaccurate. I can tell you with a ton of confidence that I have on many occasions failed the catch the biggest bass of my entire life because they were impossible to catch while spawning.

Its also June, is this spawn still going on up north? This seems awful late.

Sometimes fish have done sawed some poo poo and ain't getting fooled.

I ain't a fuckin bass biologist, but I'd guess that they probably decide based on water temps. They ain't just being all like "yo, its june 1st, we need to start fuckin and get them kids out the house before motherfuckers start trying to catch us".

Up north is probably still fairly cold. Obviously this doesn't necessarily apply to every year. but I think the powers that be try to make a one size fits all rule.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Bass opener is this Saturday in my area. I'm pretty well versed in Large mouth fishing (though my luck is usually poo poo anyways) but not so much in small mouth.

Was probably just going to go up the local creek where my boat is docked. Theres supposed to be a bunch of smallies in there.
What sort of poo poo should I use? There is some current, but not tons unless theres been rain.

I was figuring on some tube jigs and maybe some fake rear end crayfish or something, but thats most of what I know. Bottom is fairly rocky, not much weeds.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Went out for bass opener here in Ontario zone whatever the gently caress (16 I think) today.
Just took a trip up the creek where I keep the boat docked and didn't get gently caress poo poo.

Guy from work says he used to get small mouth around where I went, but I'm awful at fishing. Also it rained yesterday so the water was pretty murky, and I went out at like 11am too. Would have gone earlier, but :effort:

Did get some time on the trolling motor foot pedal though. Thus far I've used the remote, and the fish finder on the console to control it, but never the foot pedal until today. It was probably useful experience as there were a few other boaters in the creek, SUPers, canoes and kayaks. I managed to stay out of everyone's way which was good.

Will try again another time.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Lots of people use pieces of rope to get gar as their teeth get tangled up in the rope fibres.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I've never caught one myself, but a few years back my nephew caught one that wasn't that big, but he said it fought like a fuckin motherfucker. Bowfins are the same way. I want to get both at least once

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

My buddy lucked into another boat, this time it's a small Jon boat with a decent outboard on it. Help me convince him we need to put the motor on the pond prowler.

More details.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Fishing thread: snorkelling through a weed bed to save my 50 dollar swim bait.

Also, chad shad, challenges the fish to "come at me bro!"

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I bet the sucker fish are appreciated though.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Small mouth like current, but largemouth typically don't.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

What are y'all MFs using for tackle boxes or bags these days?
I currently have a Plano 737 https://www.planooutdoors.com/threedrawer-tackle-box-1592829
And its pretty great, carries everything I need and I have some replacement latches for it that I got for free cause Plano has a lifetime warranty on poo poo.

BUUUUUTTTTTT, its big, bulky and heavy.

I tend to carry EVERYTHING in that. I hate the idea of having multiple boxes for stuff when I can carry everything in one.
My brother has a bunch of bags and organizes stuff by species. Bass, pike, muskie; Salmon, trout; stream/fly fishing and so on and just brings whatever he needs for whatever he's trying to get, but I don't fish enough, or know enough to do that. I'm one of those jerkoffs that won't be getting poo poo so I'll get bored and start throwing a cleo for bass, or a spinner bait for salmon or some dumb poo poo like that.

I guess what I'm getting at, is a box with a handle is bulky and awkward to handle and drag around, especially through the woods or some poo poo like that and I hate the idea of not having everything together so I can do dumb stuff like I mentioned above. So whats everyone's opinion on tackle backpacks? Something I can sling over my shoulders and keep my hands free for other things?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I believe that's known as "a mess" of catfish .

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

If you want the kid to have a good time, set him up with a worm and a bobber to catch sunfish and rock bass.
Those fuckers will eat just about anything and worm and bobbering it will probably keep him busy for a while. Be careful when he's casting. My brother likes fishing and he took my nephew out a lot, but there were times when he was that age and came with me and he was still flinging that rod everywhere when he was casting. Its easy to get a hook to the finger, or eye, or ear or wherever when they're doing that. Even if you don't remember poo poo about how to cast to teach him, you need to at least keep it straight with him that he needs to look around when he's casting. To the side, behind, etc to make sure he's not going to catch a person when he swings the rod back. This can be difficult, especially if the sunfish are really biting as he'll be really excited and want to get his line back in the water asap to get the next one. So be patient with him. You're not fishing in a tournament with thousands of dollars at stake.

Also don't leave old line and garbage everywhere after you leave. Thats how good fishing spots get posted to be no fishing.

Someone on here who's better at fishing than me, give this goon some techniques to do to keep the little fishies from swallowing the hook because they didn't set it quick enough.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Tying your line directly to teh end of your two piece fishing rod is a good way to lose the end of the rod within seconds if you actually have to fight any kind of fish

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

DamnitGannet posted:

I bought a spinning reel after using spincasters my whole life and I feel like everyone is playing a prank on me by saying how great they are. If I even look at it wrong all the line pops off and manages to get tangled around. It came with the line already on so anytime it loses tension it just goes sproing in little tangled circles. Would putting fresh line on it help?

That line has probably been on there for a while. When that happens it'll get a "memory". Braided line doesn't do that. Also "good" line takes longer to get that too.

Also keep in mind you should try and spool it on there tight and there will be a bit of a learning curve with a new reel type.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Hooplah posted:

I wish rock bass got bigger. They’re aggressive, thrive in accessible waterways, and fight well for their size. Cool fish.

Sunfish too.

I was in a lake one time and had one bite my nipple.

Turned me on.

Glad it wasn't a pike.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Brut posted:

Yeah keeping the fish is exactly what I mean, I'd just need to know what a regulated species looks like, that's why I'm thinking best to have the document with me (and not in electronic form because pulling out my phone while a fish is flopping around sounds like a recipe for disaster). Wonder if I can integrate a measuring stick in to the boat, some kind of waterproof paint? idk.

Still need to buy tackle, I'm tempted by these kits that seem to have a lot of different stuff for like 10 bucks but I have a feeling there's a lot in there I won't need, if there's a good starting tackle set you're aware of I'm open to suggestions.

Your state probably has a printable version on the DNR/Equivalent agency website. Print the poo poo off and keep it in your box.
You might be able to find a paper copy at tackle/sports shops too.
Ontario used to widely distribute paper copies of hunting and fishing regs. They still give them out, but you can't find them at as many places these days.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Got my boat back. Currently taking a giant poo poo or maybe it's not that huge I dunno. Then it goes on the water for the year. Which means i ain't getting poo poo this year either.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Seems like the odds would be better if he tried to become a professional sports (football, baseball etc) player.
How many people actually make their living as a tournament fisherman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Charliegrs posted:

Do fishing shows even exist anymore? I feel like back in the day the pro fishermen who really made it were the ones that got their own TV shows. Like Bill Dance, and that other guy that always kisses the bass I can't remember his name. Like the shows that used to play on the TNN channel in the 90s. I'm not even sure how someone becomes a "pro" fisherman these days. I know there's lot of fishermen on YouTube but do any of them really have the audience to make a living from it?

The episode was a few years old, but yesterday morning I saw an episode of Canadian sport fishing on TV.

I totally remember the fushjbg shows on tnn back in the 90s. I swear they were never fishing fir anything but bass.

They were all about that bass bout that bass bout that bass, no pickerel