Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

now that both this and the crab thread exists there's no reason for me to go to any other website on the entire internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

:frogon:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

every now and then i think about how I will never see a living breathing dimetrodon in real life and then I get sad

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Dear Watson posted:

Don’t worry. They will be there to meet you at the rainbow bridge when you die. You can hug each and every one of them

whew thank god

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Aardvark! posted:

This is path to achieve Enlightenment.

His tail is stubby but that's ok he still kicks rear end

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Virgin Edaphosaurus vs. Chad Dimetrodon

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Mooey Cow posted:

Welp, hope you like giant bugs and hosed up fish

Lmao was this supposed to make it unappealing?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

smoobles posted:

dimetrodons can't swim, he's screaming bc he's stranded and going to die

dimetrodons can do anything because their abilities are immeasurable hth

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Femmetrodons had long flowing locks and a fat fuckin pair, scientists confirm

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

the consensus among paleontologists at this point is inching closer and closer to feathers being a basal trait for dinosauria, meaning that t-rex and every other dinosaur that ever lived would have had feathers at the very least in their youth, and more likely had some feathers in some places their entire lives, even if it were just a crest on their head or w/e. the fact that they found definitive proof that at least one other large tyrannosauroid dinosaur did have feathers, possibly covering its entire body, is further evidence that t rex prolly had them as well.

Being a basal trait doesn't necessarily mean all descendent species have that trait. It could be secondarily lost entirely in some groups.

That said, there's probably more reason to believe T. rex had feathers at some point in its life than not, for the reasons you said.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Mooey Cow posted:

Depends on if you're hoping to resurrect Dimetrodons, which lived in the Permian, in the Carboniferous you instead had millipedes bigger than yourself

Fair

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

mods are asleep, post smooth dimetrodons

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Asterite34 posted:

bi-metrodon

that's just a latin dimetrodon

edit: bimodadent

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 27, 2021

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Elukka posted:

For Tyrannosaurus there is a bunch of evidence of scales and no evidence of feathers, but I guess its family tree can keep the feathers of the gaps alive.

Yeah. As far as I know current conventions among restoration artists is that it's acceptable to restore T. rex as completely featherless or with some feathering. Either is understood to be a possible restoration with our current understanding, just as long as they don't show stuff like primaries (the long forearm/wing feathers of many theropods, including living birds) that we know tyrannosaurs didn't have.

HAmbONE posted:

When I become a billionaire I am going to bring you goons to...

https://tyrrellmuseum.com/

I can’t remember if they have any Dimetrodons but they do have Black Beauty, the coolest T-Rex.

Been there twice myself. Black Beaty is an absolutely marvelous fossil. Took my breath away when I first laid eyes upon it.

Then a few years later I went back to see Borealopelta and got emotional again lol.

Sadly all of their Dimetrodon fossils are casts/replicas and not the real deal :sigh:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 8, 2021

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Christopher DiPizza 2016

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

aardvarks are kinda dimetrodons, if you think about it

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

smoobles posted:

They were cold blooded too so if you had a pet dimetrodon they'd probably cuddle you in the winter :3:

🗣️ If you're cold, they're cold. Bring them inside!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

It would be cool to nap in the shadow of a pet dimetrodon's sail while it's sunning itself on a warm day. Hands behind your head, chewing on a piece of straw, with your hat brim pulled down over your eyes.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

smoobles posted:

it's a loving cosmic tragedy that they're extinct while humans get to live

To be fair that's true for all extinct, and yet-to-be extinct animals

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Mods!?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I've been playing a game called Dino Park and hmm..

What's this???

:toot:

imagine being this majestic. drat

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

that stegosaurus doesn't stand a chance. It's going to get loving obliterated

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

that eryops is so hosed he has no idea

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

where did they get dime DNA? Mosquitoes didn't e evolve until millions of years later

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

reported for edaphoposting

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

gently caress yes

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Tree Bucket posted:

Incisors, canines, premolars, molars- you yourself are a tetrametrodon.
Rejoice!

Hey that's cool and all but that's not what they asked for

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

When I was 8 or 9, Dimetrodon was one of my favourites. I found out one of my prehistoric creatures books was exactly one foot tall, so I measured out 10 feet in my living room with the book, and proudly declared Dimetrodon could fit in our house. All my other favourites were too big.

Hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Take it to the gorgonopsia megathread pal