Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Agreed Alone is good. It's much less Bear Grylls I DRANK MY PISS!!!!! I'M A MACHO WARRIOR!!!! than I was originally expecting. Most of the time the winning move is just to conserve energy and see who can handle losing the most weight.

It hasn't been tried as much as it should be, but the true winning move imo is to go in fat, as fat as you can while being functional. After that you just have to not gently caress up big like losing your firestarter or cutting your hand open and not go crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
To be clear, every week or 10 days they have a couple production people go to all the different locations and do a checkup on everyone. If your weight gets below a certain threshold, they will pull you, period. Sometimes it super sucks season 3, but it's a good move since there are people who would starve themselves to death if you let them make the call.

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

alone really is a pretty good show. I remember.
You might want to spoiler it if you want people to watch it. It's one of the few shows where I think spoiling actually matters

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 10, 2021

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Like the name of the show, they are alone.

(There is one season where everyone is pairs, not individuals -- you apply with your sibling, spouse, whatever)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Can't lay in filth or the bears will smell you

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Outrail posted:

That's hilarious, do you have a link to this vid?
There was another guy, season 2, where a guy saw bear poop and hit the panic button and left literally 6 hours after he was dropped off. He was in the army. Unfortunately he was the only black guy the show's had iirc

Tbf I wouldn't gently caress with grizzlies either. If they could ever do one on the east coast, black bears are nbd, but brown bears, hell no.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Uncle Enzo posted:

No, there was also that accountant guy from Ohio that did survival stuff as a Boy Scout leader.
The guy I mean was a Boy Scout too, but from Arizona it looks like https://www.history.com/shows/alone/cast/desmond-white

e: oh I found the one you mean https://www.history.com/shows/alone/cast/britt-ahart
it looks like there have been a couple more since then

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Rinkles posted:

i think they care about money (being liable)
There are like five thousand other ways they could die, including exposure, falling off stuff, fires, hantavirus, snakes, pumas, chopping off limbs, or just drinking untreated water or squirting fish eggs into your mouth. I don't get why bears would be the dividing line.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Rinkles posted:

maybe. i don't really watch much reality tv. i'm surprised they're so cavalier with the contestants' safety, that's all.
I don't know if you can tell from this thread, but the people they pick aren't like randos who have gone camping twice. They pick experienced people who often do this poo poo professionally. Then they do a boot camp for a couple weeks where they teach skills and information specific to the area, go over common types of traps/structures/etc., and winnow out anyone who doesn't get it. And yeah, I'm sure they sign waivers out the rear end, the same way cooking shows aren't going to be liable when you gently caress up and cut your finger instead of a potato, and the same way Survivor has existed for like 20 years.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Hulu has 1–6. I also watched the Netflix season first, but I think it's probably better to go in order if you can.

It looks like season 7 is only available through the history channel for now

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I personally assumed pairs would be harder mentally because being with the other person 24/7 would drive you insane.

Season 4 is all pairs so see what you think!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

Why would you have to be with the other person 24/7 like I’d expect my partner to be out fishing or collecting coconuts while I’m back at camp training the monkey butlers or whatever
That's true in the beginning, but even if you're together 12 hours a day, that's enough to go insane from the tune he hums / he took more mouse stew than me / he won't stop whining / he's way too cheery.

Then as it goes on, you're in the hut in bed 23 hours a day just trying to conserve energy.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

The idea that having a partner in a survival situation versus not having a partner would be annoying is mind boggling to me.

Being alone in the woods is never a good place to be even if you’re an expert.
I watched the show awhile ago, but from what I remember, more people tapped out for mental reasons than actual physical safety reasons. Having exactly one other person there might (or might not) be a benefit physically, but it seems like it could easily exacerbate the mental reasons to leave.

Like, you know how carefully people's personalities are analyzed for space missions or overwintering in Antarctica, to make sure you mesh as a team and nobody will snap? Now there is exactly one other person, zero personality testing, no chain of command, no private space, more physical hardship, and snapping is as easy as one person pushing one button.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
One of the big takeaways of Alone imo is that you really need to be able to entertain yourself.

I was super glad he won. He hosted one or two of the reunion shows -- I thought that was great, and I'm mad they got some doofus in a flannel shirt to take over that job

e: I googled him and he's a truther, whoops

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 21, 2021

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
It looks like the kids were 14 and 12, so at least old enough to understand what was going on. I don't remember if they said what they did with the kids, maybe a grandparent came to stay with them or the kids went to stay with friends?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Apparently cavers are incredibly ready to talk poo poo about spelunkers. Who knew!

e: some good lmaos

quote:

Comments: Little information is available on this incident, but considering it was a 2 AM trip to a cave locally known as Stoner’s Den probably explains a lot.
also some really heavy/awful stories obviously

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Dec 3, 2021

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Strongly recommend The Alpinist (on Netflix). Just go in cold and be prepared for the guy that Alex Honnold thinks is insane

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Fwiw I think The Alpinist is shot more intensely. A lot of the shots as he's climbing are from directly above, looking down at him so you can see his tiny points of contact to the face and the full drop below him as he free solos. I never normally mind heights, but that was a lot. If you couldn't get through Free Solo, this one is more of everything imo.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
It said he wouldn't carry a locator beacon specifically (as a rule) because "then he wouldn't really be alone." That was where I was over it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The River Runner is new on Netflix. Summary: "A kayaker sets out to become the first man to paddle the four great rivers that flow from Tibet's sacred Mount Kailash."

I was stoked thinking it would be about like Free Solo in terms of cool footage and the actual process vs. biography. It was definitely almost all biography with like 10 minutes of the final river trip. It's great he grew as a person, and it's still worth watching, but I would really love to see a kayaking version of an Everest trip, The Alpinist, etc. Tbh it doesn't have to be dangerous for me, I just want to hear about the process and see beautiful scenery and cool poo poo.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 20, 2022

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
One of the most amazing parts to me is that Alex is a really, really good coach. That's pretty rare imo for people who are true standouts in their field; coaching skill doesn't come along with the talent. Especially for really independent solo sports like this, and especially when Alex is such a unique freak, you would expect the opposite. What a cool thing for him to have cultivated that attitude.

I also learned that youtube censors "die" out of their closed captions lmao

e: like a really interesting compare & contrast is the new Tony Hawk documentary, Until the Wheels Fall Off. I totally recommend it in general, but it's especially interesting compared.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 13, 2022

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Skateboarding or weightlifting are really unlikely to kill you, but look at the Tony Hawk or Ronnie Coleman documentaries for super interesting insights into how much they can gently caress you up. It feels like Alex Honnold is at least avoiding injury better than that, although I guess we have to wait 20 years to find out.

I thought while he was coaching him, the most interesting exchange was like: at our level, fatigue isn't a problem at all. Basically the only way you'd die is if you fainted. And there are lots of other situations when fainting suddenly would kill you, too. Hard to argue with that.

Cojawfee posted:

I skipped around in that video and the one guy said "if you get stuck, I can help you through it". loving how? You're both just clinging onto the side of a cliff. Then my hands got really sweaty and I turned it off.
We don't get to see what the options are because the other guy keeps it together. But Alex did have a handful of other outs ready for him, like if he had hated the test climb, Alex says they could just have gone around the back and gotten to the peak just the same by hiking, and the vibe is that it was a legit option and he wouldn't have been disappointed. It is possible that if he freaked out, there could have been ropes and hardware stashed with the cameras and snacks. Or maybe he just meant going down next to him and coaching move-by-move.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

An old boss of mine lost two successive wealthy husbands to free diving. The FBI investigated looked pretty hard at her but in the end the dudes were clearly into the risk.:shrug:
How did she end up with two guys who were both into it? Was she a diver too or was it total coincidence?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
That’s awful, what a total mess. How did Kaur end up alone? Did the sherpas make it back?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Yeah it’s more “unwise extreme sports,” it’s never been about “this unknown billionaire got hit by a car, glory in his blood” if that’s the concern. We’ve had good conversations about Alone, rock climbing, cave diving, etc.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 15, 2023

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
May I direct the thread’s attention to Arctic Ascent, a new National Geographic series (on Disney+ or your parents’ cable). Alex Honnold, with climbers Hazel Findlay and Mikey Schaefer, lead a group up a huge fuckoff rock wall in Greenland to do climate science. It’s more responsible than Free Solo in that they’re roped in and belaying each other. Everything else about the location and specifics is way worse, like having to walk 100 miles to even get to the mountain, avoiding murder icicles and polar bears, and dealing with lovely crumbling rock the whole climb.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

"To do climate science" lol
I’m not 100% sold either, but it does seem to be the way to get core samples from 1000 feet up the side of a sheer cliff

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

gohuskies posted:

Climate scientists do need ice samples from deep in old ice. I've never heard about them needing it from high up a cliff.
So now I’ve watched it, the scientist on the trip did explain the need for core samples from their practice cliff, but then (unless I looked away at the wrong moment) they didn’t do samples from the main cliff.

Realistically, I think we know the main benefit to climate science is the number of eyes on the documentary plus whatever level of funding NatGeo was involved in. They did take the opportunity to do some neat and hopefully useful stuff on the way, like using LIDAR to detect the depth of ice, dropping off a robot that measures water stats, and taking time-lapse photography to see how fast the ice pack is moving.

Another interesting thing is that as soon as Honnold showed up, I was like “holy poo poo he looks so old now, how old is he???” and it turns out he’s my age :waycool:

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 12, 2024

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

was the climbing cool>?
I’m not remotely qualified to judge. It didn’t seem fun for them in that the sane people (i.e. not Honnold) were complaining about the lovely rock the whole time, but obviously it was hella impressive (I say from my cozy chair with my little snack). I guess it depends how you define cool

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Eeyo posted:

I watched the first episode of the Greenland climbing thing.

So why can't they just like fly a helicopter to the top of that big glacier and then just go down? Does it not work like that?

Also who is holding the camera, they say it's a 6-person expedition but there's someone magically above the climbers getting some sick shots and IDK how they got up there. Unless it's a drone?
They’re 100% using drones for some of the shots. There could also be hidden camera people, idk, but drones are definitely in use.

I figure a helicopter isn’t a great plan for the same reasons it isn’t on Everest? That said, they’re definitely misleading in the beginning about the accessibility, how they have to walk 100 miles to get to the big cliff…but then at the base of the big cliff, they’re met by supply boats

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
You might be able to guess I’m working through National Geographic documentaries when I recommend The Mission. I don’t know if it quite fits this thread, but it involves a fairly wealthy young American preparing but not nearly enough for an unwise trip to an exotic locale, getting himself killed immediately, and disrespecting indigenous people. However, it does not have snow or altitude, so ymmv.

This is about the evangelical Christian kid who decided that he was going to convert the Sentinelese people, aka the tribe that remains minimally contacted because (for good reason) they kill almost everyone who tries. It’s a little more complex than the news stories that came out at the time (2018), but the main reason to recommend it is the extremely relevant interviews they managed to get.

https://films.nationalgeographic.com/the-mission

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

religions that force youth to go proselytize are cults and the people who are brainwashed by them are victims and that uncontacted tribe committed murder, albeit of a tresspasser, so no worse than the castle doctrine assholes all over rural america

I have very little sympathy for the dead guy but I have no joy in his death either, it's gross and symptomatic of our society continuing to tolerate incredibly evil behavior by cultish religions carrying on the traditions of colonization without any restriction because "freedom of religion" and while another dead colonizer doesn't make me feel like that tribe did the worst thing ever
The documentary goes into more detail that rearranges the stereotypical narrative a little. His family wasn’t evangelical and he was obsessed with the Senegalese and living that kind of lifestyle even as a kid. Obviously he discovered evangelicalism by high school and that got him real good, but instead of them sending him out as a missionary, he went around begging all kinds of people, churches, and missionary organizations until he found one that would support him in his goal.

They also believe — and I wish the documentary had gotten more into this — that you can be a missionary but not in a colonialist way. I don’t even know what that would look like, but it would be interesting to hear more about their concepts. I also think it adds an interesting layer of complication that he was half Chinese (first gen) and obviously wouldn’t have grown up in a Christian context if not for western Christians/evangelicals/colonialists in China at some point.

Potato Salad posted:

I'm sorry, is the concept there that you get a free pass to genocide a pre-contact civilization on the basis of your race?

what are they smoking
So one of the more-interesting-than-the-headline details is that they aren’t literally a pre-contact civilization with zero exposure to other humans or pathogens. The most ongoing contact they’ve had has been with T. N. Pandit and crew, repeated visits from the 60s to the 80s, but there were a good handful of both incidental and anthropological contacts afterward, too, for reasons as small as planting coconut trees or giving them a canoe or just seeing what was up. One cool thing is the documentary interviewed Pandit and included a lot of his experience.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 21, 2024

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

George H.W. oval office posted:

There’s a dude in the film that hung out in the jungle for decades doing missionary work and then out of the blue has a realization what am I doing??? and completely loses his faith. It owns.
That’s Daniel Everett, who’s not just famous in a bunch of circles, but also probably the best-placed person in the world to speak to Chau’s motives and goals vs. reality. Like when he came on screen I was literally like “oh poo poo they got the Piraha guy!!!” Absolutely fascinating life. I recommend his memoir Don’t Sleep, There Are Snakes.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

McSpanky posted:

Far be it from me to interrupt a smug atheist slamfest, but is the cutting revelation at work here "I don't believe in things I haven't personally witnessed"?
Yes, that exact thing is a major feature of Piraha culture. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirah%E3_people That wasn’t known before the mission because no outsider really spoke the language before he did.

It’s a really interesting mindset, part of their general lack of focus on the past and the future. Definitely recommend the guy’s memoir, Don’t Sleep, There Are Snakes.

While the whole missionary thing didn’t work out so great, I wouldn’t say his life was wasted. He’s done a ton of work on very rare languages, documenting them, developing orthographies, becoming the first outside speaker of Piraha, etc. He’s very famous in linguistics circles, is a college professor, and has an enjoyable feud with Chomsky
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Everett

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 2, 2024

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Of course not, that’s why we have the concepts of eyewitness, or gossip, or hearsay. We value it to a degree that it seems obvious, which is why McSpanky was like “no duh.”

The difference is we also believe in, say, the Civil War, and Charlemagne. Even oral cultures do this — Maori people know when their ancestors arrived in New Zealand and can even tell you which boat they sailed on…in 1300. African cultures have/had extensive oral history traditions, so do native Americans, the Greeks, you name it.

Pirahas aren’t buying that, past like one or two levels of transmission.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

jemand posted:

Could we even have any way to know that the Piraha didn't have a big social debate in 1910, maybe in reaction to a horrific disease event or something, and deliberately decide to drop a thousand year oral tradition?
It’s a great question, and one that’s specifically addressed in the book I keep talking about, Don’t Sleep, There Are Snakes, concluding

quote:

“On the other hand, even if such trauma were responsible for cultural change, after a certain amount of time we would have to describe the culture in its current state. England’s current state is undoubtedly a result of earlier stages, but it can no longer be described in terms of the code of chivalry. The evidence from records of the Mura and Pirahă for nearly three hundred years since contact was first made in 1714 strongly supports the conclusion that Pirahă culture has changed little since contact with Europeans.”

Btw, it’s not that they don’t count past 3, it’s that they don’t count period. They don’t even have a “one, two, many” system like some other cultures do.

They also don’t just disbelieve history — they wouldn’t believe in, say, Angkor Wat or lions unless you, a trusted teller, had yourself seen them. But if you did see something, they seem pretty willing to accept that, say, America and skyscrapers exist.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 7, 2024

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Cactus Ghost posted:

iirc the first solid evidence we have of counting comes after agriculture. it may just be that without a surplus to trade with a nonfamily outgroup, numbers aren't necessary. there's "enough" and "not enough" and thats... enough.
The Piraha do actually trade with outsiders, indigenous and not, and just get ripped off constantly. They don’t count on fingers or make tally sticks or anything similar. He kept trying to teach them to count so they wouldn’t get ripped off, and their attitude was just “nah we’re good.” If the Sentinel Islanders’ vibe is “gently caress off,” the Piraha are 100% “nah we’re good.” Want to make the canoes you covet if I pay for everything and bring over teachers? Nah we’re good. Want to make baskets or other items that last? Nah we’re good. Want to learn another language so you can communicate with traders? Nah we’re good.

quote:

One of the first was the apparent lack of counting and numbers. At first I thought that the Pirahăs had the numbers one, two, and “many,” a common enough system around the world. But I realized that what I and previous workers thought were numbers were only relative quantities. I began to notice this when the Pirahăs asked me when the plane was coming again, a question they enjoy asking, I eventually realized, because they find it nearly magical that I seem to know the day that the plane is arriving.

I would hold up two fingers and say, “Hoi days,” using what I thought was their term for two. They would look puzzled. As I observed more carefully, I saw that they never used their fingers or any other body parts or external objects to count or tally with. And I also noticed that they could use what I thought meant “two” for two small fish or one relatively larger fish, contradicting my understanding that it meant “two” and supporting my new idea of the “numbers” as references to relative volume—two small fish and one medium-size fish are roughly equal in volume, but both would be less than, and thus trigger a different “number,” than a large fish. Eventually numerous published experiments were conducted by me and a series of psychologists that demonstrated conclusively that the Pirahăs have no numbers at all and no counting in any form.

Before carrying out these experiments, however, I already had experiential evidence supporting the lack of counting in the language.

In 1980, at the Pirahăs’ urging, Keren and I began a series of evening classes in counting and literacy. My entire family participated, with Shannon, Kristene, and Caleb (nine, six, and three at that time) sitting with Pirahă men and women and working with them. Each evening for eight months we tried to teach Pirahă men and women to count to ten in Portuguese. They wanted to learn this because they knew that they did not understand money and wanted to be able to tell whether they were being cheated (or so they told us) by the river traders. After eight months of daily efforts, without ever needing to call the Pirahăs to come for class (all meetings were started by them with much enthusiasm), the people concluded that they could not learn this material and classes were abandoned. Not one Pirahă learned to count to ten in eight months. None learned to add 3 + 1 or even 1 + 1 (if regularly writing or saying the numeral 2 in answer to the latter is evidence of learning).Only occasionally would some get the right answer.

Whatever else might be responsible for the Pirahăs’ lack of acquiring the skill of counting, I believe that one crucial factor is that they ultimately do not value Portuguese (or American) knowledge. In fact, they actively oppose some aspects of it coming into their lives. They ask questions about outside cultures largely for the entertainment value of the answers. If one tries to suggest, as we originally did, in a math class, that there is actually a preferred response to a specific question, this is unwelcome and will likely result in a change of conversational topic or simple irritation.
Too long to quote, but they also don’t have concepts like all, whole, every, each, entire. You can’t say “I’ll trade for all the fish you caught today” or even “I want to use the entire log.”

Anyone who’s interested, I’m begging you to at least get this book from your library

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 7, 2024

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

fascinating stuff. would make a great gbs thread
Yeah I’m sorry the detail got so big. Unfortunately it would make a terrible gbs thread because it would just get “lol they dumb” shitposts for a couple pages.

If anyone actually reads the book, DM me and we can try to set up a thread in the Book Barn I guess

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I do not know if Piraha do that, mind you.
They don’t. That’s the long quote I posted above explaining how they don’t. Getting the book from the library and finding out how things actually work is more interesting and informative than all this speculating

woke kaczynski posted:

I'm borrowing it from the library because of this discussion if it's any consolation :)
one convert!!!!!!! It really is interesting I swear

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I wondered about that too, but I think they would be impressed even if he just said “it’s definitely not coming today” or “it’s coming after lunch today”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I’m not buying 9 oz of poop in a day. Aren’t you eating a whole lot more than 9 oz of food if you’re doing something like climbing Mount Everest?