Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Aegis Bear posted:

Oh my god imagine catching loving Covid on Everest on top of barely being able to breathe in the first place, your muscles already dying from extreme climate stresses, and worrying about HAPE/HACE. Guess the mountain god will feed well this year. And of course, the poor Sherpas will be stuck cleaning up after them as always.

Dunno how much the sherpas will be cleaning up. I imagine any amount of lung and heart damage is bad when your whole livelihood depends on having great lungs. Potentially even a mild case of covid is crippling for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Probably anyone in China with connections good enough to get to climb the mountain this year also has good enough connections to get the vaccine first.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

What if you took a heater to melt ice to make air? There's plenty of H2O free for the taking. You'd need something small and light, so maybe one of those radioactive soviet heaters.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Outrail posted:

How tf do you get mushroom blood?

Inject mushroom tea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmiowRlk8Xc

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

vortmax posted:

Pro: Zombies don't need oxygen
Con: Zombies are frozen solid

That's the twist, all the corpses on Everest are zombies, but nobody has noticed because they are frozen solid. It was supposed to be a real mean curse on those who sully the sacred mountain, but when you buy your curses on ebay things don't always go the way you hoped.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Subverting the magical brown people trope, the curse was laid by a wiccan white lady.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lucky she didn't run out of oxygen. :v

Why does the BBC use miles? Did Brexit mean opting out of metric too?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

My point wasn't so much that it was doable but to counter the idea that no one would even think about it, that the culture would with flawless efficiency stamp out any desire to get to the top of the tallest landmark.

True. Probably lots of people thought about it. If you tried it without knowing the proper preparation you'd probably give up when it got too hard, or you'd go too far into the death zone and just die because you don't notice hypoxia until it is too late.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

theflyingexecutive posted:

It would be pretty funny watching two sherpas partner carry the three hundred pounds of rope you'd need for a death line
Yeah that is too much rope.

How about a corpe retrieval zip line?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

orange juche posted:

We know what happens when goons make ziplines, but if the hiker is dead who cares if the slam into the ground at basecamp at terminal velocity

Exactly. A whole new career for zipline goon.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

We need a supervillain to grind off the top of Everest so K2 is the tallest.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Elukka posted:

And then there's the "I paid for this! I'm not going back down!", ignoring the obvious advice given to save her life. So not exactly a professional mountaineer here.

Why do people insist on going to Everest to die.

Everyone knows that when you get to the part of the story where everyone tells you to give up it is just a test of your resolve. You push through and all your dreams come true and everyone stands up and claps.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Deptfordx posted:

Resting 60-100 is the normal range, 40-60 is more athlete level.

Thank you. Had a moment of worry there.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

There was a bug on his window. He had to call Deepak to deal with it. Real alpha male.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

dr_rat posted:

I feel like if your that paranoid about insects perhaps going on hikes isn't for you.

lol

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ethanol posted:

nosebleeds are a common symptom of the least serious form of altitude sickness. It doesn't mean you have HACE/HAPE

True. Nosebleeds can also a symptom of breathing air dryer than you are used to. I used to live in the Rockies at 1,120 m and had way more nosebleeds there than when living in high humidity at sea level.

There's a lot of stuff on everest that stresses your body in weird ways without being HACE/HAPE.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sounds like the writers got pretty lazy this season.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

How did that guy end up alone there? He keeps thanking his team, but they left him?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dienes posted:

Nothing will top the episode of Naked and Afraid where the lady feels sick, poops in their primary water supply over her partner's objections, then all the fish and other critters in the water DIE, to her utter bafflement.

I don't think she pooped in the spring. She had diarrhea and then washed her rear end in the spring. Still insane, but not quite as insane as pooping directly in the water.

Yeah, I found a reddit video, but I don't know how to repost those so https://www.reddit.com/r/nakedandafraid/comments/mkv90y/when_your_survival_item_should_have_been_a_diaper/

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dienes posted:

I still maintain that washing diarrhea rear end is going to put a shocking amount of poop in the water.

Definitely. But looking at that pool and thinking "bathtub" is a little less deranged than looking at it and thinking "toilet".

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Deptfordx posted:

Apparently they lost contact with the sub yesterday 1h:45m's into the dive.

I'm assuming they're all dead and the operators have spent the time working up the nerve to announce that between sessions on the satphone talking to their lawyers about the best way of minimising their liability.

It says it can be submerged for up to 96 hours. It also says it is about the size of a minivan inside, which sounds comfy. It is not.

Even if they are on the surface and perfectly fine, they are still trapped all scrunched up. Can't lie down. Can't even stretch out your legs. People complain about airplane seats being uncomfortable and long flights being a hazard for throwing clots, imagine not being able to stand up nor lie down to stretch your legs for days -- literally torture.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Do you suppose they have a good dehumidifier system in there? 5 guys exhaling and sweating in that tiny space would make things pretty damp after a day or two. Did they bring enough pee bottles to stay down this long? Really stewing in their own juices down there.

Feel bad for the rescuers who have to pop open that capsule.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MisterOblivious posted:

I saw Star Wars in the theater when I was maybe 3. This dude terrified the hell out of me and I hid under the seats for a while.

Look at the fingers. The finger tips are hollow. Even for aliens that just ain't right.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

rear end Technology posted:

The only fault in this video is lacking the real time comparative that lasts less than a fraction of a second.

If it ran at real time we wouldn't be able to perceive it. Guy there, guy gone.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Beachcomber posted:

Is it to scale?

No, it's to look at.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I gotta be honest with you, that's a very old dad joke. But thanks to Beachcomber for the set up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Platystemon posted:

Mods gonna shut this thread down for bloodlust.

Does GBS really need 2 menstruation threads? Seems redundant.