Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i get that the thread has a justifiable hate for everest climbers, how does the thread feel about alpinists? is climbing the alps okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Achmed Jones posted:

i think that yall are forgetting that, even with the lame bits and lines and all that, being able to say "i have climbed the tallest mountain in the world" would be pretty fuckin cool

yeah that sounds pretty cool tbh

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

it seems easy to do though, which detracts from the lustre

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Nah. Saying "I climbed K2"? All the respect in the world. "I climbed Everest"? Introduce me to your Sherpa, I bet he has some interesting stories to tell.

never heard of k2

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

trying to figure out how this belongs in the everest thread

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Tenkaris posted:

Go back a few pages and you'll find this thread was all about it when it was current events :shrug:

Thread already goes super quiet between summit seasons, so people look for any "rich hubris" content in a vacuum.

But the real answer is the OceanGate threads all were gassed so of course it ends up places like this thread instead.

seems pretty weird imo

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Outrail posted:

I've found if I don't like the content of a thread I just stop reading it.

Some of the E/N threads were kind of triggering and made me feel uncomfortable but I know the thread regulars wanted to keep posting and wouldn't appreciate me asking them to stop posting. I understand that dictating how people post across the entire forum based on my personal preferences is a dick move so I just unbookmarked the thread and never went back.

lol wtf. being triggered by personal stories because of personal trauma isn't the same as gleefully celebrating death

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

also "don't like? don't read". cmon

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

I agree personally that the topic is a bit broader than strictly Everest, but let's make it unequivocal that the topic is not just an especially bloodthirsty form of schadenfreude.

agreed

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Deptfordx posted:

I believe rowing is one of those sports where people skew older, Steve Redgrave was pushing 40 when he won his last Gold medal at the Olympics

ive noticed rock climbing also seems that way (outdoor sport and boulder, not necessarily alpine style or indoor competition styles). i think it probably has something to do with the long time required to develop the ligamenture and connective tissue associated with absolute finger strength + endurance, as contrasted with the relatively quick development of skeletal muscle

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

dr_rat posted:

Pretty sure it's a couple of people on top of a pretty tall hill OP.

climbing to the top of a tall hill ftw

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Chief McHeath posted:

big rear end latina teen chased by lesbian loving TREX at basecamp then hosed

lmao

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

AARD VARKMAN posted:

bigger number = more dangerous and more beautiful obviously

and thats just simple math

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol why are people hating on the british landscape. its just nature. you don't need to dunk on it. it didnt have an empire and slavery and poo poo. its just trees and rocks

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

May I direct the thread’s attention to Arctic Ascent, a new National Geographic series (on Disney+ or your parents’ cable). Alex Honnold, with climbers Hazel Findlay and Mikey Schaefer, lead a group up a huge fuckoff rock wall in Greenland to do climate science. It’s more responsible than Free Solo in that they’re roped in and belaying each other. Everything else about the location and specifics is way worse, like having to walk 100 miles to even get to the mountain, avoiding murder icicles and polar bears, and dealing with lovely crumbling rock the whole climb.

this looks sick, thanks

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

So now I’ve watched it, the scientist on the trip did explain the need for core samples from their practice cliff, but then (unless I looked away at the wrong moment) they didn’t do samples from the main cliff.

Realistically, I think we know the main benefit to climate science is the number of eyes on the documentary plus whatever level of funding NatGeo was involved in. They did take the opportunity to do some neat and hopefully useful stuff on the way, like using LIDAR to detect the depth of ice, dropping off a robot that measures water stats, and taking time-lapse photography to see how fast the ice pack is moving.

Another interesting thing is that as soon as Honnold showed up, I was like “holy poo poo he looks so old now, how old is he???” and it turns out he’s my age :waycool:

was the climbing cool>?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I watched the first two eps so far and Hazel Findlay does some crazy rear end Tomb Raider poo poo

hell yeah she rules

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

My instagram reels have been giving me probably every 8-10 swipes videos of dead Everest climbers

lol drat you must rly love dead climbers

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Elukka posted:

I'm guessing another reason is that they're mountain climbers who want to climb mountains.

climbing mountaisn rules

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

what about a cannon that shoots people at the summit

bloodlust? in the everest thread? well now ive seen it all

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Empty Sandwich posted:

when he died a goon reposted someone's public social media reaction along the lines of "I thought this was really funny until I learned he was POC :("

the galaxiest of brains

lmao

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

ethanol posted:

Got a confession to make, I’m standing on top of a very tall cold mountain summit atm. Not looking like I’ll die today tho

any pics or

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Comstar posted:

I know this thread is about climbing mountains, does climbing far enough to reach the moon and then crashing on it because the management decided to save some money count:

It might be a push button way to climb a mountain, but the button is of no use if at first you disable their hand. Shares of the company are reported to be down by 40%.

this is quite a stretch to post itt lol. in fact its a good candidate to just make its own thread out of. has basically nothing to do with climbing or rich guy adventure misforutnes or whatever this thread is actually about

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Wingnut Ninja posted:

As you might expect, there is in fact already a thread, which even owes its current title to that very probe: Space and Spaceflight Thread: Ԁ∩ ƎpIS SIH┴

yeah i know about that one, i lurk and sometimes post, but a gbs thread i meant

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

I feel like the issue with a space forum in GBS is that it would immediately turn into an Elon-posting thread and then all the space regulars (myself included) would abandon it

thats a good point. the gbs elon thread is a cesspit and the actual space thread sometimes struggles to stay on track and avoid hate bonering over elon. im considering starting a gbs space thread as i would definitely follow it closely and could moderate it but yeah i dunno. i;ll think on it

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Rojkir posted:

There's also this youtube film where he talks Magnus Mitbo (a former bouldering superstar turned youtuber) into free soloing with him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyya23MPoAI

Super irresponsible stuff tbh

yeah i remember watching this when it dropped and thinking that was super hosed up

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Comstar posted:

I know this thread is about climbing mountains, does climbing far enough to reach the moon and then crashing on it because the management decided to save some money count:

It might be a push button way to climb a mountain, but the button is of no use if at first you disable their hand. Shares of the company are reported to be down by 40%.

we made a new gbs space thread btw

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4055473&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

fascinating stuff. would make a great gbs thread

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lmao

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

... on Mt. Everest

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Mods gonna shut this thread down for bloodlust.

lol

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

I’m not buying 9 oz of poop in a day. Aren’t you eating a whole lot more than 9 oz of food if you’re doing something like climbing Mount Everest?

your body uses the food it intakes for nutrition and energy, mostly

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

ante posted:

Bodies are incredible things, with all that mass to energy conversion it does

physicist brain spotted

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

*Have lots of experience and really know what you're doing
*Have the right equipment
*Have all the physical talent