Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Daily Mail is a racist/homophobic newspaper from the UK. It 100% makes sense they'd leave the bit out about the white british women stealing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Talking about robots on everest I'm now imagining robot porters carrying fat rich tourists on their backs up the mountain

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Dyatlov pass is interesting because they were all competent outdoors people and any sort of explanation can't be that they just got scared of something and all ran out to die. They'd of known leaving the shelter would = death.

Astonishing legends did a really good podcast episode on it and went over their backgrounds and it was nice to get details about the hikers. I think all documentaries I've watched they just show the pics of them dead which is gross and barely bother mentioning who they were.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Feb 3, 2021

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

“Why leave the tent” is a bigger mystery than what ended up happening to them and nothing I’ve seen put forward comes close to a rational explanation. Saying they just “acted irrationally” isn’t good enough when none of the theories about what caused them to act that way would actually cause experienced climbers such as them to flee immediately as they did. So not just why did they leave the tent, why did they leave the tent in such a hasty fashion, whereby they ended up needing to strip the clothes from their dead- ignoring what even killed them in the first place.

There was no safer place to be than the tent unless the tent itself became a place of legitimate danger, and they all knew that.

As a self taught psychologist I’m a super smart guy so I think it was swamp gas that made them go cuckoo crazy and act against all rationality but I’m also a really funny guy so I’ll say a wizard did it, lol

I like the explanation of some sort of parachute mine which would be plenty to terrify a bunch of hikers into fleeing from their tent if they hit by a concussive blast and a poo poo ton of light from a explosion suddenly.

The military were testing them in the area so it's not an absoloutly crazy theory.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Fly Molo posted:

I don’t think the Soviet military did many air strikes against random people in the woods in Russia, but maybe I’m wrong. :shrug:

The avalanche/wind/yeti/murder-suicide theories are more sound, imo.

They did military tests in those mountains apparently. I don't think they were targeting hikers because that's crazy but a nearby test would of been enough to spook people out of their tent.

Military said they weren't testing that night but of course they would say that.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Yeah, the most remote place I've been in the UK was a pathless bog on top of a hill in Scotland and I encountered a loving tractor at the top putting in fence posts

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Outrail posted:

^Yeah, all that.

I'm talking more about the potential for some creep to keep taking people and having a huge list of 'missing, presumed lost'.

I feel like this has to be such a remote possibility that it's not worth worrying about and travelling with a friend would cut the risk down to basically zero.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I know it's not 100% reliable but i don't think there's any excuse not to bring a dedicated GPS unit with you if you go hiking or whatever. Even if you just keep it in the backpack for emergencies and never turn it on I'd think you'd be nuts to go out without one in 2021 when they're so readily available and not very expensive.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Personal

Locator

Beacon

I was googling these like a year ago but they all seem to cost a crazy amount and require a subscription which costs as much as the device. Is there some sort of cheaper version I'm not aware of?

I'll probably suck up the cost if I ever do a trip which is 2-4 weeks long

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 9, 2021

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Thanks for the explanations. I found this PLB. If I ever attempt something like the highland 550 i'll get it or something similiar.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I got a feeling the poster who originally brought up guns was talking about defending yourself from bigfoot or aliens

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

The yeti strikes again

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Pyrotoad posted:

I don't know why people default to fish as the easy pet for kids :gonk:

Goldfish in particular are some of the messiest, dirtiest fish you can own - they need almost double the tank space of every other similarly sized fish just because of all the poo poo they put out. Don't get goldfish for indoor tanks, even those really smushed up pug ones.

I had a teacher at school who claimed that he'd drink dirty water over clear water in a survival situation - his logic was that he has a rough idea of what bacteria and parasites he's risking with the dirty water, but the clear stuff could only be clear if it had something in it that killed all those things, and he'd have no idea if it could kill him too. He grew up in an industrial town so I guess chemical run-off into the water was an issue at the time?

that teacher is a dumbass and would be making GBS threads himself to death in like 1 day if he ever went hiking

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I started on season 6 today. Already enjoying the bloke who didn't bring a firestarter, failed to make a fire and didn't build a shelter on the first day. I don't have high hopes for him.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i think you'd have to bring a pot to boil water in

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

The thing that sucks the most about alone is seeing most of the female contestants destroy at all survival stuff and building some of the most impressive shelters but just get caught by the weight limit.

Season 6 spoilers - a lady contestant is in the last 2 survivors but she didn't bring an axe so couldn't get through the ice to fish when the lake freezed over.

i actually felt a bit misled by the editing because the winner was way more succesful than the show was trying to make out.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 15, 2021

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

ive just started s1 on dailymotion (s6 i could watch on sky catchup) and jeeze these guys suck compared to the people on the later seasons. where did they find them? we got a cop who made some stupid remarks about dealing with 'wild animals on the street' who shits himself over a bear and now a bloke who won't shut up about guns bailed because he heard some wolves howling lol

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Only problem with Alone S1 is that the last 3 episodes are just people sitting in shelters complaining and talking about missing their family. I totally get it but god is it tedious to watch.

Goons said S2 people were more prepared and their locations more thoroughly chosen so hoping for it to be a bit more interesting.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Maybe if he gets lost he can survive a few months on body fat alone

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

god i hope the mentally ill angry guy who gives me domestic abuser vibes doesn't win season 2 alone

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Such a great movie. There's an infamous scene where Herzog listens on headphones to a recording of the fatal attack. Treadwell was always ready to record and someone, either him or his girlfriend turned on one of the video cameras but didn't take the lens cap off, so it recorded the audio only. After Herzog listens to it, he dramatically tells the woman who has it to never listen to it. Of course, this left viewers wanting to know what happened. Turns out she has let other people listen to it, including this guy, a grizzly expert who describes what you hear and speculates about what was happening:

http://www.yellowstone-bearman.com/Tim_Treadwell.html

As you might suspect, it's pretty goddamned awful.

They were just so loving dumb i even find it kinda cruel people came and killed the bears afterwards but I guess you don't want bears out there which know people are a viable food source

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 19, 2021

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Azathoth posted:

From the longer description in that article, the bears they killed weren't killed because they had eaten a human but because they were in the process of stalking the humans who were there and thus they were in immediate danger.

Could be a convenient explanation after the fact, but it doesn't sound like that from my read.

Ah I must of skimmed that bit.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I always wonder how real those shows with survival experts are. I'd like to see a 'celeberity' version of Alone with people like Bear Grylls and Ed stafford and see if they can actually do what they claim.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Ray mears is alright but as a fellow brit I dunno how well he'd do on alone. Here in the UK you're usually a 20 min walk from a supermarket.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I was mostly joking about Ray Mears being a coddled UK resident. He apparently survived a helicopter crash uninjured and provided medical support to the people who got hurt so he sounds pretty rad.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

You have a hole in the bottom you dangle your butthole out for pooping and can also double as a fishing hole

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I didn't mind the hiking bit no one was eliminated because of hiking but yeah towards the end it was just people being incredibly miserable together and sitting around waiting to give up which sucks.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

After watching Alone its amazing how fake every survival/adventure show now feels.

Oh no i've been in the woods overnight and NOW im starving and have to catch a rabbit to win!! *sets up snare and immediately catches a rabbit*

Ohh, i need to build a boat. thankfully ive found this fully entact hide on the floor here because ummm.. like... err... the local people put out dead animals to entice wolves and shoot them.

Also don't let me forget bear grylls who has to murder every other snake he finds for food and drink filthy water.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 6, 2021

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

blight rhino posted:

e- I did have a dream last night, of an ultra marathon, but they could fight the other people and kick each others asses so bad they'd have to quit.

you should read The Long Walk by stephen king

e: i might of read about it in this very thread tbh

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 13, 2021

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

styls trill epic posted:

What precisely is this thread about....

This is the official Alone thread but we're taking a break from that to talk about mountains

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

The River Runner is new on Netflix. Summary: "A kayaker sets out to become the first man to paddle the four great rivers that flow from Tibet's sacred Mount Kailash."

I was stoked thinking it would be about like Free Solo in terms of cool footage and the actual process vs. biography. It was definitely almost all biography with like 10 minutes of the final river trip. It's great he grew as a person, and it's still worth watching, but I would really love to see a kayaking version of an Everest trip, The Alpinist, etc. Tbh it doesn't have to be dangerous for me, I just want to hear about the process and see beautiful scenery and cool poo poo.

I hate when they do that! it's like when you're trying to watch a sport and it's 90% interviews/personal stories and a tiny bit of racing thrown in. My other pet peeve is when it's just 'cool' shots set to music.

There's a canoe movie called the Yukon Assignment on amazon which is good. there's a dumb moment when they decide to climb a mountain and it's all loose scree lol

also recommend the BBC series roaming in the wild. it's just two mates going on adventures.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

why would you want to do the same climb 16 times unless you're getting paid for it. I find doing the same bike ride twice boring.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Outrail posted:

Did that rope snap? Wtf! Those ropes are almost impossible to break with human weight (say hi to your mom for me).

E: looks like the carbiner or attachment failed?

it's trad climbing. you put your own anchors in! the rope didn't snap the tools holding the rope to the wall just failed. it's expected and that's why you put loads in when going up.

e: you can see he's got loads of stuff hanging from his belt. those are the things you put in the wall to anchor the rope to.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 22, 2022

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

HopperUK posted:

drat someone at the BBC hates him, that is not a flattering picture lol

rude that's just his face

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Kamrat posted:

The British version of Alone is pretty fun, feels like early seasons of Alone where everyone is not an expert, a lot of incompetence on display

I think it's kinda gross in that it's a very British reality style tv thing where they've gone out of their way to get people with emotional stories who are gonna struggle. I don't think most of them even have any survival experience beyond the bootcamp.

they've also gone off format and have these overexposed interview bits where it's just a close up of a overlit face. whatever reason it super bugs me and loads of British shows do it now!

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

FullLeatherJacket posted:

tbf it's generally exactly because they're 1000m peaks that people then decide that it's a :krad: idea to go up in shorts and converse with zero plan for what happens if the weather changes on a completely exposed route over a 300ft rock face, rather than just laying down to die on Pen y Fan because you ran out of granola bars

but yeah, Snowdon literally has a gift shop at the top

there's also shops in the alps! i don't really get peoples boners for elevation, a 500m scramble is harder than a 2500m scenic drive.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

DurianGray posted:

Antarctica still has its own extreme-sports-related horrors, like polar thigh (probably don't look at the pictures if you're eating or plan to eat in the near future).

https://explorersweb.com/polar-thigh-antarctica/

well that's not pleasant

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

uncertainty posted:

I enjoyed watching the show, it has some really impressive footage, but unless I missed something some of the narrative seemed insultingly dumb?

Like them having to climb a wall and then travel through scary crevasse area to then take a boat with a bunch of other people who just happened to be there???

Loads of shows do that and it's very dumb. There was some bad paranormal thing where the host was told by the locals he had to be ALONE to communicate with the spirits, and he kept going on about how he was by himself now but.... there's a camera man. he's moving the camera as you run around. you're not alone. AGHHHHGGHHGGGGGG

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

im surprised they let you pilot the chinook after crashing the blackhawk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

George H.W. oval office posted:

The hubris on that kid was insane. Just a profound lack of respect for the islanders and incredibly naive.

I like how they threatened to kill him multiple times but yet he kept coming back.