Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

BalloonFish posted:

Assholes picking on the slow kids is, depressingly, something that would fit the first half of events, then the tragic conclusion follows. So the idea being that said assholes spot them at the game or the gas station where they stopped to buy snacks (the last sighting)?

Yeah, the theory goes that they met some folks at the game, or when they got snacks, who then talked them into going with them. I think it's also possible that they got lost leaving the game, realized later they were lost, stopped for directions and whoever they asked decided to gently caress with them and led them into the mountains under the guise of "oh yeah, I'm going that way, follow me".

poo poo flows badly from there. As part of the ... ahem ... prank ... the assholes scare them off from the car while they make their escape and they run into the woods, but instead of just running a little bit, they either keep going thinking their being chased or they just get turned around and instead of hunkering down and waiting for dawn, they make the all-too-common mistake and try to walk out, just getting themselves more lost in the process.

Problem with this is that there's just no evidence. Like none at all. The only person who saw them with anyone was the guy in the VW having the heart attack, who was by his own admission, loving hallucinating as he dipped in and out of consciousness.

The other problem is that, no matter what intellectual impairments 4 of the 5 had, Matthias did not share that, though he was "schizophrenic". I put that in quotes because what they called schizophrenic back then is not necessarily what we'd call it today. Back then, it covered a much wider range of profound psychiatric illness. He was on some pretty heavy drugs to treat it, and by all accounts was taking them and not experiencing any problems at the time of his disappearance.

A lot of theories hinge on Mathias and his overall state of mind and, for lack of a better term, leadership ability. This is, once again, where I really wish there was more info about their lives. It's so hard to understand their overall group dynamic from the available reports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
* WARNING * GENUINE PHONEY EVEREST CONTENT * WARNING *

Another entry in the bad photoshop annals.
https://www.dpreview.com/news/5994680202/couple-who-faked-everest-summit-pictures-hit-with-10-year-ban-after-not-doing-it-well-enough

* YETI / UFO / MYSTERY PHENOMENON DISCUSSION MAY RESUME *

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Feb 4, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Phony Everest content

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

ante posted:

It's weird how tech people have gravitated towards climbing.
That's been true since the 1970s; it shows up in the Jargon File. For climbing gyms, substitute bouldering and buildering.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Looks like K2 has claimed three more guys, they've been just MIA for over 24 hours: https://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2021/02/05/winter-k2-update-summit-push-update-6/

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

PittTheElder posted:

Looks like K2 has claimed three more guys, they've been just MIA for over 24 hours: https://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2021/02/05/winter-k2-update-summit-push-update-6/

This is in addition to Bulgarian Climber Atanas Skatov who fell while retreating from trying to summit.

"The 42-year-old Bulgarian made an unsuccessful attempt to conquer the world's second highest peak. For him, this was expedition No21 in the last eight years in a total of fourteenth attempts to conquer the eight-thousander. The great dream of the Sliven-born mountaineer was to climb all eight-thousanders, as only K2, Shisha Pangma, Broad Peak and Nanga Parbat remained on his list of unconquered peaks."

https://www.novinite.com/articles/207932/Body+of+Bulgarian+Climber+Atanas+Skatov+Recovered+under+K2

I am trying to find the account on instagram that reported from the mountain and said that some climbers were going to try to speed run the mountain (because the winter ascent had been done) but IT'S NOT A COMPETITION.

Edit: found it and it was just one climber two days ago:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CK3UHwtD4jV/

Pasang Norbu to attempt 🏔 K2 – Fastest in Winter ❄️

4 Feb, at 6:30 PKT, Pasang Norbu Sherpa set off from the basecamp aiming to the summit of Mt. K2 within 24 hrs. Pasang already reached to high C2 (6670m - 13:25PKT). Weather and winds are supposed to be fair till the early morning of the 5th Feb, while it's a hazard attempt, technically difficult, and a long climb.

🤞 Wish him a good luck and a favorable weather condition.

[NOT A COMPETITION, IT’S JUST AN ATTEMPT]

NC Wyeth Death Cult fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 7, 2021

Sigmund Fraud
Jul 31, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

https://rockandice.com/climbing-news/3-top-climbers-missing-following-k2-winter-summit-attempt/

He is suggesting they might try to bivvy and wait for the sun and less extreme weather. Imagine the horror of attempting to hide in a snow cave above the death zone without O2, batteries and food in -80 F/-60 C wind chill temps.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Pablo Bluth posted:

* WARNING * GENUINE PHONEY EVEREST CONTENT * WARNING *

Another entry in the bad photoshop annals.
https://www.dpreview.com/news/5994680202/couple-who-faked-everest-summit-pictures-hit-with-10-year-ban-after-not-doing-it-well-enough

* YETI / UFO / MYSTERY PHENOMENON DISCUSSION MAY RESUME *

Not to worry, there's plenty of that in the comments on that article.

quote:

Traveller's tales? The Nepalese describe the Yeti as "a Creature of God". If you think about it, it is an excellent definition, because often such manifestations, though actual & genuine in themselves, are temporary.
I remember a woman at a table in Katmandu, who decided to join me, without invitation, at mine. She had, she said been raised in the States not too far from Roswell, and all through her childhood she was haunted by dreadful apocalytptic visions of destructions of various kinds- from "God" obviously, as many dreams and all visions are, and had come to Nepal and India to find peace. And one result of this was her meeting one of these mountaineers who had had the yeti/cave experience, and who had told her what had happened to them.
Nobody had mobile phones back then to record anything, so there is no visual record, but there is almost no visual record of anything anyway, is there?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Sigmund Fraud posted:

https://rockandice.com/climbing-news/3-top-climbers-missing-following-k2-winter-summit-attempt/

He is suggesting they might try to bivvy and wait for the sun and less extreme weather. Imagine the horror of attempting to hide in a snow cave above the death zone without O2, batteries and food in -80 F/-60 C wind chill temps.

Are they projected to be out of O2, or did they try a winter summit without supplemental oxygen?

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

Are they projected to be out of O2, or did they try a winter summit without supplemental oxygen?

It says in the article that only 'JP' was without sup oxygen

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
How about the opposite of Everest? Dying in the heat of Death Valley.

There are many YouTube summaries now. This one if fairly short and to the point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRcucNoyWsI

In short some unprepared German tourists took their rental minivan way way off road in Death Valley and got stuck. They wandered off deeper into the desert never to be seen again.

If you want more the story by the guy who found them is worth a read: https://www.otherhand.org/home-page/search-and-rescue/the-hunt-for-the-death-valley-germans/

His theory of why they walked in the direction they did is cited in the video above and makes sense to me. They were headed towards a military base marked on their map thinking the boundary would be well patrolled like bases in Europe. They thought they would be quickly spotted and rescued. Instead the "base" is just more desert.

The search and rescue guy has some other interesting stories too. Most recently he has been looking for a hiker who went missing in Joshua Tree National Park.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Zero One posted:

If you want more the story by the guy who found them is worth a read: https://www.otherhand.org/home-page/search-and-rescue/the-hunt-for-the-death-valley-germans/

somebody on here linked this a couple years ago and it's a fascinating read.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Zero One posted:

How about the opposite of Everest? Dying in the heat of Death Valley.

There are many YouTube summaries now. This one if fairly short and to the point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRcucNoyWsI

In short some unprepared German tourists took their rental minivan way way off road in Death Valley and got stuck. They wandered off deeper into the desert never to be seen again.

Why are these videos always hosted by utter charisma black holes? This is an interesting story but the host just ruins it.

quote:

His theory of why they walked in the direction they did is cited in the video above and makes sense to me. They were headed towards a military base marked on their map thinking the boundary would be well patrolled like bases in Europe. They thought they would be quickly spotted and rescued. Instead the "base" is just more desert.

The search and rescue guy has some other interesting stories too. Most recently he has been looking for a hiker who went missing in Joshua Tree National Park.

Reading it is much more interesting, I read this way back around when it was first published. This guy is super interesting.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Zero One posted:

Most recently he has been looking for a hiker who went missing in Joshua Tree National Park.
That'd be the search for Bill Ewasko, and he's more or less given up on it after looking for literal years, with his last search attempt being from 2018. He has provided resources for other people who might want to search, but as far as I know nobody else has had any luck either.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Haifisch posted:

That'd be the search for Bill Ewasko, and he's more or less given up on it after looking for literal years, with his last search attempt being from 2018. He has provided resources for other people who might want to search, but as far as I know nobody else has had any luck either.

*nodding sagely* Ah yes, Russian yetis.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I always find it crazy that people can vanish in US national parks and after a bit, the people searching for them are like: "Welp, guess they're just gone forever :shrug:". US national parks are biiiiig.

In Britain, the countryside is extremely 'domesticated' and anyone unexpectedly dropping dead in it will be found within a day or so, by a dog walker or a jogger. (Seriously, when a random corpse shows up in the Uk, it's invariably a dog walker or a jogger who discovers them.) People occasionally die in the British countryside but nobody ever vanishes.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Yeah, the most remote place I've been in the UK was a pathless bog on top of a hill in Scotland and I encountered a loving tractor at the top putting in fence posts

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Pistol_Pete posted:

I always find it crazy that people can vanish in US national parks and after a bit, the people searching for them are like: "Welp, guess they're just gone forever :shrug:". US national parks are biiiiig.

you've also got crazies randomly shooting people on the trail (there was a case with a murderer on the appalachian trail a couple years ago iirc)

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
I do find it depressing sometimes on walks in Britain, looking at some grand view and going "there isn't a square inch i can see that hasn't been stepped on and manipulated by a human ten thousand times over". Like "Sherwood forest" is now like... you could kick a football from one end of it to the other, and even that part probably is regrowth from sometime back. The countryside can be pretty, just about, but it's never beautiful. As a result the nation is full of people tricking themselves by necessity into believing that landscapes don't get a million times better elsewhere. I can't do that and it depresses me.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

I do find it depressing sometimes on walks in Britain, looking at some grand view and going "there isn't a square inch i can see that hasn't been stepped on and manipulated by a human ten thousand times over". Like "Sherwood forest" is now like... you could kick a football from one end of it to the other, and even that part probably is regrowth from sometime back. The countryside can be pretty, just about, but it's never beautiful. As a result the nation is full of people tricking themselves by necessity into believing that landscapes don't get a million times better elsewhere. I can't do that and it depresses me.

lighten up bud

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

I feel a similar way about the alps. first time seeing the raw nature of the andes really blew my mind.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Jeza posted:

lighten up bud

I'm going to get more and more worked up until I'm dead
option b is I'll probably just move away

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
If I had my way, I'd completely end subsidised hill farming in the Uk and let the uplands return to forest and heath.

Hill farming i.e. sheep rearing is completely uneconomic and only survives through government subsidy. The sheep graze the hills and prevent anything growing apart from grass, ferns and heather. I'd prefer a bunch of cool, wild forests tbh.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

busalover posted:

I feel a similar way about the alps. first time seeing the raw nature of the andes really blew my mind.

The Alps would be like that for me having only seen the Rockies I bet. Just like the Rockies blew my mind after living in Ontario.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

The Walrus posted:

The Alps would be like that for me having only seen the Rockies I bet. Just like the Rockies blew my mind after living in Ontario.

I found out I am a flat lander through and through after just going to Los Angeles and up to that one observatory and freaking out as people just left the road and started galloping down an incredibly steep slope covered with rocks and trees like one wrong step wasn’t going to kill them, then later walking a dog with my friends in the hills around Thousand Oaks and freaking out at the steep drops just... everywhere. Driving through the Rockies was like variations on a theme of ‘how in the absolute gently caress did pioneers in covered wagons traverse this poo poo’ every time you think you’re through you come to what you think is the peak and the vista just opens up to more. loving. Mountains. And this goes on and on. For hours. Driving at like 65mph. With a cliff on one side with giant boulders everywhere waiting to fall on your loving head and a raging river on the other. No wonder every town you pass is called like ‘close enough’ or ‘gently caress it this is the promised land now.’
gently caress elevation I will enjoy my 130’ above sea level flyover country where at least I can see poo poo coming and my clumsy rear end can occasionally trip over a crack in the sidewalk without it meaning my doom. Even if the air hurts my face in the winter and it’s a fetid swamp of humidity in the summer. Tornadoes are enough excitement for me.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Pistol_Pete posted:

If I had my way, I'd completely end subsidised hill farming in the Uk and let the uplands return to forest and heath.

Hill farming i.e. sheep rearing is completely uneconomic and only survives through government subsidy. The sheep graze the hills and prevent anything growing apart from grass, ferns and heather. I'd prefer a bunch of cool, wild forests tbh.

that would be cool as hell. it's funny, new zealand has totally rampant sheep farming on its (much more dramatic) landscape too, but they've got enough subtropical wild fertility that even their regrowth forests are ridiculously dense and wild a few decades later and even the sheep farmland looks cooler due to its more dramatic verticality.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Zero One posted:

This is a pro-click. The dude who writes this website is a very compelling writer.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Pistol_Pete posted:

“Missing presumed dead” is interesting because the presumption of death = not missing = no need to search according to the NPS. There’s no official comprehensive list of people missing from any given park. Shouldn’t people visiting the parks be made aware in case they find a trace of them?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Pistol_Pete posted:

Those sheep actually play a huge role in preserving hill forts and other archeological sites that could be damaged by a lawnmower. Respect the sheeps!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I know what you mean about all the countryside in the UK being heavily human-influenced but I think there's plenty of beauty to be found. It's all subjective though I guess - if evidence of human activity is automatically unbeautiful to you then yeah, I guess there's not many places to go. The Lake District is gorgeous.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

“Missing presumed dead” is interesting because the presumption of death = not missing = no need to search according to the NPS. There’s no official comprehensive list of people missing from any given park. Shouldn’t people visiting the parks be made aware in case they find a trace of them?

I'm more concerned there might be a park with hundreds of missing people that noone's aware of. I think after hiker #8 of the year goes missing I'd want to avoid that area.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Outrail posted:

I'm more concerned there might be a park with hundreds of missing people that noone's aware of. I think after hiker #8 of the year goes missing I'd want to avoid that area.

Stay away from Yosemite lol

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Outrail posted:

These places are safe if you do a minor amount of research and know to respect the area you're going to. Find out if it gets hot or cold there. Pack a lot of water if it gets hot, pack a jacket if it gets cold. Know your limits, and stick to marked trails. People die because they assume national parks are like disney land where everything is safe and there is always someone to help you. They wander off the trail or go at the wrong time of year for casuals and get themselves into a situation they can't handle. Not knowing to respect nature is how you fall into the grand canyon, or get gored by a bison because you were being an idiot.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
^Yeah, all that.

I'm talking more about the potential for some creep to keep taking people and having a huge list of 'missing, presumed lost'.

Yeesh.

Also: https://www.nps.gov/orgs/1563/cold-cases.htm

I'd say 90% of the missing cases look like the sort of young dufus who'd wander off without any experience, the right gear or safety plan; or old guys who're competent but over the hill and over confident in their abilities (and 'don't need a dang safety plan').

Some are just plain sad tho. The unidentified murders :(

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Mentioning David Paulides will probably set off a figurative avalanche of very bad unfunny joke posts so I’ll just do one to get the reddit out of everyone’s system: “he forgot the reptilian illuminati space nazi connection, lol”

With that out of the way, try listening to one of the interviews he’s given on missing persons in national parks and the individual cases he mentions. Before/without listening you might say, “well clearly it was x” except these are instances where hundreds of park rangers and often military are called in for search and rescue and they find no trace of the person- and often, if or when they are located, it’s in a place that’s already been searched, and if they’re alive they have no memory of where they were or what happened to them.

I encourage skepticism, but bear in mind the circumstances of the disappearances (as well as the actual park and police investigations on the ground) have already ruled out whatever mundane conclusion you’ve come to. For every missing person he mentions, look them up- they’re all real and they’ve all undergone rigorous investigation, often including the FBI due to the federal jurisdiction over Indian Reservations that are adjacent to a lot of the parks with a high number of disappearances. These are the best investigators in the country. The point is there isn’t a blanket explanation (“crazy hillbillies”, serial killers, got lost, eaten by mountain lions, drowned)- because all of those things do happen and by the product of law enforcement investigation, these cases are expressly not the result of any of those.

The existence of “Bigfoot” is speculative at best and the first page of the ‘hunting squatch’ thread encapsulates the moronic culture around it pretty well. That’s not the thing to fixate on because there is as much proof for the existence of bigfoot as there is for the existence of god :rolleye: and nobody looking for bigfoot is going to find one.

The real question is, what’s happening to these people and why? One person you can just say huh, that’s weird, but actual hundreds of them? In the same areas under similar circumstances over a long period of time? That indicates a danger that is specific, situational, geographical, and most alarmingly, persistent. What does the park service know about this vs what they are willing to tell us? If it is as you think a killer in the woods... shouldn’t they be trying to catch him?

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
I hope nobody tries to own me by posting a gif of the guy going too far down the hill in skifree. That would really sting

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Outrail posted:

^Yeah, all that.

I'm talking more about the potential for some creep to keep taking people and having a huge list of 'missing, presumed lost'.

I feel like this has to be such a remote possibility that it's not worth worrying about and travelling with a friend would cut the risk down to basically zero.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

they should just go looking for piles of bear poo poo and DNA test all of it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Haifisch posted:

It’s amazing the breadth of the net they’ve cast looking for this guy.

This is from 2016 and is missing a couple years of Mahood’s tracks, plus any that have been done by anyone else since or weren’t sent to him.

There are several factors that should constrain the search area. They know there Bill said he was going, where he parked, where his cell phone was when it mysteriously and briefly connected to a tower two days later.

There’s only so far an elderly man can go under his own power in the desert at mid summer, right?

Searches have retraced his steps as best as they are known, put themselves in his shoes, struck off in directions he might have. They’ve made over a thousand miles of tracks looking for any trace of him, and they have found none.

I think his bones are out there, curled up in some sheltered spot, but the contrast with the Death Valley Germans and the Norman Cox case are striking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

Additionally, reintroduce wolves.