Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

lol a photoshoot with the ladder huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Na y’all got it all wrong it’s this guy

gently caress those ladders

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Pablo Bluth posted:

Life goal: First nude climb of Everest.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEO_P-NBOf8/

Close enough

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Someone make a cave on Everest and fill it with water so we can have a twofer

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

This sounds like a good time as ever to plug season 1 of The Terror. In the middle of nowhere, cold as gently caress, and going absolutely insane from scurvy and lack of provisions doesn't make for a good time. Of course you then add in the spooky Inuit polar spirit that fucks your day up and you got yourself a stew.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

So ultimately whatever map you use will give you correct directions to where you want to go but the exact GPS coordinates will be wrong?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

When I was hiking the AT I rounded a corner and saw a bobcat pounce on a rabbit not 5ft from me. I imagine if it was a little closer I could have been swatted at to protect its meal. Was cool as gently caress though seeing nature do its thing.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Rounded a corner on the trail and came face to face with a black bear a good 20ft away. We both just stopped in our tracks for a beat to register what it was we saw. The bear then ran off the embankment in one of the most comical scrambles I have ever seen. Just this big dumb idiot cartoon legs spinning and tripping over itself as it ran away. If that bear was more afraid and angsty itd probably have been a much different story but what I got was certainly hilarious.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

With how much they mention that small game trapping will protein starve you it really seems like the best bet is to get to fishing and stock up as much as you can.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

lol if you're not fashioning your own axes and knives out of flintstone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KEMHzWORCY

flint knapping was definitely a really cool skill our ancestors mastered

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 4, 2021

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Pure speculation, but I'm curious what you all think. Let's say an earthquake or a crazed poster from this forum knocks off enough of the summit to put it below K2 in height. How much do you think climbing would decline there?

Gotta knock off nearly 850 feet to get it there. That's a hell of an earthquake\explosion.

It would probably also grind climbing to a halt as the infrastructure to support climbers would have to be ramped up. K2 is even more remote than Everest is

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I did Katahdin in the cold rear end rain and it was absolutely miserable. I was 1 of like 4 people that summited that day. I was so adamant on finishing the AT that day and getting that picture on the sign that I huddle behind a giant cairn on the peak for a hour until some other poor soul showed up. Took the picture and booked it down. No view and no elation of finishing a great adventure, just wanted the off that mountain.

I’m from Houston and it just happen to be the remnants of Hurricane Harvey so that dumb storm managed to gently caress me all the way in Maine.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Alpinist good. One thing I noticed after watching it and looking into the dudes career was that he did the Patagonia winter ascent before his “disappeared and showed up on Mt Robson” bit. The documentary definitely frames it as him being roped into filming Patagonia for the movie after loving off for a while. Weird choice but I guess it just makes for a more compelling story.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Anyone check out "Infinite Storm" yet? Based on a true story and probably dramatized a hell of a lot but whatev

https://digitalcommons.dartmouth.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1155&context=appalachia

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

It just sucks because his luck ran out in a super dumb way when he wasn’t being particularly dangerous. Hell the worst fall for Alex Honnold was a routine climb with his partner that almost killed him.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

It’s “only” a 5.9 but it’s wild that even a seasoned veteran like mags was terrified in a few spots. Alex just chillin and goofing around like it was nothing is hilarious. Oh look at me I’m holding the camera AND climbing!

New HBO documentary “Edge of the Earth” has some absolutely beautiful shots of Alaska and some gnarly big mountain skiing.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Climbing good. Go climb.

Also the latest Edge of the Earth episode is about big wall climbing so there’s more content available!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Are you actually doing support work or is it “supporting” in that you’re there in the area hanging out and could identify the body?

Have fun!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

quote:

Pilots make history by paragliding to K2 mountain

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment...74snKaDbnYArCk5

:rock:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

Every day we come closer and closer to being able to zipline from the top of Everest to the top of K2

Glad to see zipline goon still getting work

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I’ll bring the dynamite

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Gonna lol from beyond the grave when they finally make Everest wheelchair accessible.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Love to do a HIIT workout for a week straight.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My wife had debilitating headaches from altitude sickness when we were in Peru and it sucks rear end. She never truly recovered until we were back down to sea level. Dude is in for a rotten time. His headache might subside a little with sleep but the instant he exerts himself it will come back with a vengeance. Probably isn’t hydrating either lol

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Pretty sure the owner of the company is onboard too

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Look we just think sunken submarine crews should exercise some personal responsibility and rescue themselves

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_S-5

That is wonderful. We don’t get enough fun exchanges these days.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

It's too good not to crosspost

EngineerJoe posted:

My memorial

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The Deepest Breath on Netflix is like inverse Everest. Underwater death zone! No caves or anything just going down and no air.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

For sure. I remember going to the hot springs in Steamboat this past winter and this woman on the bus was crazy hype to go to some retreat with a bunch of other enthusiasts to hang out with Wim Hof in Poland and his whole cold immersion deal. Now THAT seems like a cult.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Who was closer though?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The hubris on that kid was insane. Just a profound lack of respect for the islanders and incredibly naive.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

There’s a dude in the film that hung out in the jungle for decades doing missionary work and then out of the blue has a realization what am I doing??? and completely loses his faith. It owns.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

May I direct the thread’s attention to Arctic Ascent, a new National Geographic series (on Disney+ or your parents’ cable). Alex Honnold, with climbers Hazel Findlay and Mikey Schaefer, lead a group up a huge fuckoff rock wall in Greenland to do climate science. It’s more responsible than Free Solo in that they’re roped in and belaying each other. Everything else about the location and specifics is way worse, like having to walk 100 miles to even get to the mountain, avoiding murder icicles and polar bears, and dealing with lovely crumbling rock the whole climb.

Watched this. Pretty cool even if the reason to go felt kinda forced but whatever. The big climb is pretty insane not just because of how big it is but because it's literally crumbling away as they go up. Alex's :geno: about the danger going up was to be expected but it was nice to see his friends taking it far more seriously and pushing back. Absolutely gorgeous environment

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Nocheez posted:

IIRC he's on the autism spectrum, so he doesn't really show his emotions on his face. That and he's part terminator.

It wasn't necessarily the facial expression, but more the complete lack of care of the danger. His friend quit the climb because he deemed it too sketchy with the amount of crumbling and choss, but Alex was just "eh its no big deal really just be careful I guess?"

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Actias posted:

The most disturbing part is still Alex eating a pepper like it's an apple.

Definitely check out Superhot on Hulu then because you’re in for a treat for some real deal insanity

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Society of the Snow is a good time and by good time I mean :stare:

What an absolutely insane survival story. I had always heard about the Andes crash but didn’t know the details other than the ever so famous cannibalism. There’s so much more!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I like to count but I do not like to bleed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

I’m not buying 9 oz of poop in a day. Aren’t you eating a whole lot more than 9 oz of food if you’re doing something like climbing Mount Everest?

Your body is going to squeeze out every last bit of nutrition from food.

When I was eating a ton of absolute poo poo when thru hiking I would routinely have normal sized dumps that didn't seem to match the amount I was consuming. Also constipation