Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I had a difficult one last time I went camping in the Gifford Pinchot Wilderness on the foothills of Mt Adams. I grew up at 4500 ft or so above sea level, but recently I’ve been living where I’m basically at sea level for the past 8 years.

I think our camp is about 3500-4000 feet up. So I went to work, went to the gym, had a decent workout, drove however many hours in the August sun, probably didn’t eat enough food along the way, and when I got there immediately started drinking beer.

I was shot. Just utterly gassed out. I went to climb a short grade to my tent and felt like I was climbing stadium stairs. It didn’t dawn on me til the next day that I’ve probably lost some level of my old altitude resistance.

Going back to Montana is miserable after about a week. The elevation and lack of humidity make all my old joint injuries flare up the longer I’m there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

feelix posted:

Can we get a list of people who post ITT but get mad when GBS makes fun of fat people?

We should ask our new admin for hard hitting analytics like this.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Outrail posted:

Nice, thanks! Apparently the concern was animals wouldn't be getting a full square meal.

Oracle posted:

Further investigation found the modern bales give them a well-rounded diet.

Content like this, even off topic, is why I love this thread.

And am about to go make a donation to Apa Sherpa :unsmith: Thanks for sharing those links, Leperflesh!

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
I grew up at altitude, that makes me a sherpa, yeah?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Meth would lead to record summits and corpsicles on the way down on account of summiting in a wifebeater while listening to trapt on your phone's speaker

I mean, didn't the old mountaineers do a ton of amphetamines while climbing?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

3 A.M. Radio posted:

I grew up and live in Ohio. I remember going to Estes Park, Colorado for my honeymoon just a few years ago, and I thought I was going to die because of the altitude. Also, I have horrible asthma, and have had it my entire life.

I try to imagine what it would be like going to base camp for Everest, and I think I'd just flat out die. Anybody else have major altitude issues before?

I was born and grew up between 4000 and 7000 feet, but I've been living basically at sea level for the past 10 years. At some point, my altitude resistance dropped, and whoo boy does it suck. A couple summers ago, I did a half day of work, spent an hour at the gym, and then drove to the foothills of Mt. Adams for a weekend of glamping. I had some food, a couple of beers, and then went to hike up the hill to the outhouse, and I was just gassed the whole time. It seemed weird, because going to the gym felt good, and the drive wasn't that tiring, and I'd only had a couple of beers?

...oh, right. It was also 7000 or so feet above sea level.

The after effects of the COVID vaccine felt really similar.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Spoiler alert, Reinhold Messner is in it, and his hair is still magnificent.

Had to look him up.

That's not hair, that is a glorious mane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Macabre thought, but I wonder how much clean up would be done if everyone took just a chunk of some discarded bodies and materials every descent. Obviously removing things whole is a lot of effort for one's altitude-dying body, but what if you just took a boot?

The moral and ethical implications would mean this will never work, of course.