Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Inceltown posted:

The fact that they were trying to bargain 50c USD off a cup of tea just makes it. They should have died.
I mean you might very reasonably refuse to serve them but chasing them and getting violent is a bit much.

e: vvv
Oh okay that's a bit of a different case.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Aug 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Cojawfee posted:

I skipped around in that video and the one guy said "if you get stuck, I can help you through it". loving how? You're both just clinging onto the side of a cliff. Then my hands got really sweaty and I turned it off.
Guidance and mental support, I imagine. I don't think the climb is technically all too difficult for him so it's unlikely he'd get in trouble due to any physical inability to proceed. If you get tunnel vision and can't figure out how to get up, someone else can tell you hey, see that, you can just go over there. And if you start getting too nervous they can calm you down. Just talk you through it.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

orange juche posted:

Why, loving why would you decide to climb Everest with a pacemaker, your ticker is already hosed, that's why you have a pacemaker! Climbing a mountain is one of the most athletically strenuous exercises you can do, and even worse, Everest is really loving tall, so you don't have much oxygen to work with, your heart beats faster, and you're putting even more stress on your already shot heart. gently caress people are dumb sometimes.
And then there's the "I paid for this! I'm not going back down!", ignoring the obvious advice given to save her life. So not exactly a professional mountaineer here.

Why do people insist on going to Everest to die.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
This was, however, near base camp, during acclimation. Though maybe that's not much different depending on the state of her heart.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

HopperUK posted:

Oh poo poo really? I totally missed that, apologies. In that case yeah, she should never have been allowed near the drat mountain with that attitude.
What puzzles me is that they do. They want the money, sure. But when they get to the point where the more experienced people running the show go "In my professional opinion, you are going to die on a mountain if you don't turn back now", why do they take no for an answer? Why not say, that's it, we're not not doing this anymore, we're going no further, we're not carrying your stuff, it's over?

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I keep reading the handle "REALiceposeidon" as Lice Poseidon.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I feel like I'd really enjoy this stream if it was done by someone who is not a huge asshat.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Kamrat posted:

Edit 2: Seems like he's regretting pushing himself too hard, he's feeling ill, drat, this is pretty sad, he needs to go down after eating and drinking a lot, continuing up is dumb and I hope he makes the right call.
He's insisting on continuing up. :)

e: Now saying it's fine bro, I'm just tired.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
That's getting really concerning. I don't wanna watch this guy die. He keeps nearly falling, can barely move, and then he decides to run, collapses and nearly throws up. Insists on keeping going. He's completely delusional and thinks it's just a little way to the destination where it's hours.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Honestly feels like his best odds are that he's unable to continue and has to be medevaced.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Quixotic1 posted:

He has the sunk cost fallacy that every Everest climber gets while trying to get to the peak. Except this time it's just to get to Base Camp.

I hope he either realizes his mistake and turns around or gets to Base Camp safely and leaves quickly. but I get the feeling if he gets there he's gonna end up using valuable resources and time from the Base Camp Doctors/Medics.
He keeps insisting he's fine while almost throwing up and collapsing. He's also got this obsession of getting to their next waypoint fast so he can rest but it's a few hours away and he doesn't seem remotely capable of doing that. I'm not holding out much hope that he comes to his senses.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

fuctifino posted:

"My fingers are numb"
"My chest hurts"
"Feels weird"
"My arm is turning purple. I think it's the sunscreen with the sunburn, what else could it be?"

He also keeps going on about how he can't stop or he's a failure. It's like the dumbest summit fever ever.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Yeah my impression is that this isn't some ultra-extreme unreasonably dangerous hike if you don't do literally everything wrong.

He started his day being told he needs at least one rest day for acclimation and insisted on continuing.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Vernii posted:

It has a four day supply of oxygen which is a weirdly over-engineered component for an environment in which every other critical failure results in either instant death or freezing.
There has been a case where this sort of reserve saved the crew. Much, much shallower though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rescue_of_Roger_Mallinson_and_Roger_Chapman

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Honestly, if I'm an aging billionaire, $250,000 for an instantaneous, pain-free epic death is a decent bargain. I wonder if life insurance pays out on something this frivolous and dumb.
You might have a brief moment of terror and get crushed to death, but you might also have a slow death over days as the oxygen runs out.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Facebook Aunt posted:

Feel bad for the rescuers who have to pop open that capsule.
Not sure it's likely anyone will ever recover this. There's no vehicle made for this job, so as far as I can figure it'd be some risky improvised deal with another submersible not made for it trying to somehow manipulate this one that is also not made for it. I'm not feeling optimistic this could be done before they're dead, and interest in putting in all that effort will wane once it's about recovering corpses.

Who knows, though, maybe some other rich adventurer will want to try.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Is it really a significant problem? There aren't a lot of billionaires getting lost in subs and I'd rather not mess up and overcomplicate things over something so rare.

I don't actually know how much these operations cost though. I'm sure it's a ton if you bill by the hour for every person and piece of hardware involved, but in practice those people are being paid anyway, the hardware exists anyway and is not built for this one job, and they get to do some real-world exercise. I wonder what the additional costs over normal operations would look like.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Goddamn, Rush was double wrong.

No injuries in 35 years? Yeah, for all those other operators who follow safety standards and industry best practices and take them seriously. All that stuff he ignored.

Safer than mundane stuff like helicopter flights or scuba diving? No, not even for those responsible operators. If you've got one activity that's been done for millions upon millions of times, against one that's done... I don't know how many deep sea dives have been done, but I know it's orders of magnitude fewer, the thing that's essentially still at an experimental stage will essentially always be more dangerous, simply due to a comparative lack of accumulated experience. This reminds me of Jared Isaacman, flying on the Dragon spacecraft, saying it's probably safer than the training flights they had on aircraft. That's just not understanding the risk. Dragon is no death trap submarine, it's probably as safe as the state of the art in spaceflight can get, which means... not very. Certainly nowhere near any kind of aircraft. Simply because we have mountains more flight experience with planes than with spacecraft and we have found way more problems and the state of the art in safety is immensely further along.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jun 24, 2023

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
There was a point in that stream where I had to stop watching because he was shambling on a mountain path, highly unstable, and kept almost walking off a cliff without even noticing. There were so many ways he could have ended up dead or seriously injured on that trip.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I'm guessing another reason is that they're mountain climbers who want to climb mountains.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

climbing mountaisn rules
Yeah I got the impression that doc really wants to make a case for why it's highly important for science reasons that they climb the mountain but it kinda sounds like they mostly just want to climb the mountain and that's fine, just say you want to climb the mountain, and to take a long hike instead of just taking a boat there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
The space thread escaped GBS during that time that Lowtax decided to make GBS funny again, which meant returning to the early 2000s relentless shitposting he was nostalgic about. Until that nonsense calmed down it really couldn't exist here - neither could this thread, or anything that indicated any kind of genuine interest in anything, because it would get relentlessly shat down. You could have a space thread in GBS today, again, but it found a good home in SAL and nobody has made a new one in GBS.