Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Munin posted:

It is worth noting that climbing Everest literally makes you more stupid.

Permanently or just during the time you're not getting enough oxygen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Captain Hygiene posted:

1 minute off your official summitting time for each pound of trash you haul back

Gonna be the first-ever half-Inuit Canadian national fibromyalgia sufferer to get a negative summit time

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MW posted:

I have unironically been thinking of climbing Everest (via a guided expedition of course). But I probably won't because of the risks involved and I couldn't do that to my wife and children. Nevertheless, wife has given me OK to go to first base camp and I'm looking at going 2022.

I think the old thread had someone who'd hiked to base camp. It's not without its risks, but way less risky than actually trying to climb the loving thing.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Inceltown posted:

The fact that they were trying to bargain 50c USD off a cup of tea just makes it. They should have died.

I hate that poo poo. I've traveled with people who insist on bargaining with the locals over everything, and it's fine not to get ripped off for like $20, but there's also a lot of times where it's like "What the gently caress, we're arguing with this dude about $2."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/jdvdub/status/1290835469660565507

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ZombieLenin posted:

True, and I agree; however, in my experience if you are traveling in a place where bartering occurs, and you have a guide, if you don’t make a good faith effort to not get ripped off, your guide will quickly facilitate you getting ripped off.

Oh, your guide gets kickbacks from vendors. This is true absolutely everywhere.

I used to pedi-cab and would get kickbacks from the restaurants I dropped people off at. "What's the best place to get oysters here?" Yeah, it's the place that's paying me $5 for every fat tourist I put on their doorstep.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Empty Sandwich posted:

there's an expedition to try and find Mallory's camera

Definitely worth risking your life for

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure those firms already have contracts that say their guides can call off an expedition at any time. That was part of that reality show about an expedition company; the head guy was constantly evaluating if the climb was even going to happen or not and he could deny individuals if they weren't acclimating well or were fuckups in general.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Wolfy posted:

Move it to CSPAM

That might work. It usually gets quickly poo poo up in GBS.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

If they think it’s the safest way to make it up and down the mountain, sure, go for it.

If it’s for bragging rights, :hmmno:.

If a runner has a hypothesis they want to test about raw eggs and strychnine being the best material to run a marathon on, that’s cool, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4AhABManTw

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

I'm no scaffoldologist or sailor or mountain climber but that looks like an excessively complicated array of ropes and lines for a ladder.

Yeah just have the guy at the bottom hold it, what's the big deal?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

So many of the deaths Everest has become infamous for could have been avoided by just listening to the Sherpa. And I mean literally, so so many of them feature survivors returning with foreverially messed up bodies saying of their co-climbers "Yeah Johnny Five Aces thought he was the best climber in the world and, being high on adrenaline, reached the summit and then died on the way back down in inclement weather."

Just listen to your loving Sherpa, you're paying them to be your guide. You gave money to a firm that employs them to ferry you and all your crap safely with the implication being that they know what they're doing moreso than you!

I mean, the videos are posted here about what oxygen deprivation does to your decision-making skills.

The best decision is to decide at sea level that climbing Everest would be a dumb thing to do.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Azathoth posted:

thinking about buying up a foreclosed restaurant on the cheap and turning it into an Everest Simulator. i'll put a stairstepper into the walk-in freezer, rig up some fans, slap them into a VR helmet and pump in carbon dioxide until they get that "exhausted and on the verge of death but just don't give a poo poo" feeling that can normally only be achieved at high altitude

Give 'em a photoshop of them on the summit at the end

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Azathoth posted:

seriously, it can't be overstated just how much it is in Nepal's best interest to get as many entitled dipshits up and down the mountain as possible. anything that means even a potential reduction in permits is an immediate nonstarter

Build the escalator, Nepal

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Everest's trash problem compounded by 100s of broken drones scattered all over the place by people who thought drones could operate up there.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh no, it's growing

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1336241695302836230

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Stunt_enby posted:

why did you bump this awful, psychotic thread?

To annoy you, personally, Stunt_enby

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
There are no bad threads, only bad posters

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

corker2k posted:

They could do anything they wanted, all they had to do was dare to dream ! Actual targeted ad I got yesterday:

Putting a line in the ad is bold.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Aphex- posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G0fNkk4g0A

Have a very well shot film about a team of selfish idiots who don't disclose the real reason they're on Everest to their Sherpa team until midway into their expedition and subsequently put them in a very awkward position, and put themselves in more danger than necessary.

5 minutes into this and I loving hate this guy already

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Adolf Glitter posted:

Yeah, I feel like his voice is reducing the oxygen to my brain

About 12 minutes in he mentions he's had a traumatic brain injury which is not surprising since he sounds like he's blowing lines of xanax or something.

Edit: Wow they waited so late to tell the locals on their team their plan.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 9, 2020

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ilmucche posted:

Everest adjacent:
K2: 'Savage Mountain' beckons for unprecedented winter climb

They're experienced climbers but

Yikes

This thread is often like "Well the inexperienced climbers are idiots, but the guys who know what they're doing are super cool heroes"

They're all loving stupid. It's a stupid thing to do. Being an experienced 8,000m climber just means you did a loving stupid thing more than other people.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

E: this cut on my foot looks kinda swollen

Poultices are cheating

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I've set my mind to it. I'm gonna be the first person to gently caress Mt. Everest.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

gohuskies posted:

And of course Hansjörg and David died together in an avalanche along with Jess Rosskelley while descending Howse Peak in the Canadian Rockies last year.

Well, at least they died for a good reason ...

*checks notes*

climbing a mountain for no reason.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah most of them were complete assholes. Mike Collins, Jim Lovell, and Charlie Duke stand out as probably the most famous non-rear end in a top hat astronauts of the era.

Back then you used to have to poo poo into a bag in space, and then you'd have to put this enzyme into the bag with the poo poo in it and mash it around. Because if you just tied a bag of poo poo off, the bacteria give off gas that make the bag of turds explode.

Mashing up the poo poo bag was a deeply unpleasant task that astronauts hated.

When Jim Lovell commanded missions, he would order the astronauts under him to mash up HIS poo poo bags.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Phi230 posted:

Remember that guy that Free Soloed El Capitan

Yeah and he went to a brain doctor who was like "yeah your brain's all hosed up bro"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I STILL can't believe that only two people died from rescuing those Thai kids from the cave, and that only one of those was during a dive.

If only those pederasts had used Elon's submarine

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Caesar Saladin posted:

Whats the difference between rebreather and normal scuba?

Based on the article, the rebreather takes what you exhale and removes the CO2 so the only O2 you lose is what you absorb. You don't have to carry nearly as much O2 with you, but you have to constantly monitor your equipment to make sure the gas is mixing right. You do this basically drunk at a certain point for reasons similar to why climbers get loose-goosey

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

bar88537 posted:

https://www.deeplife.co.uk/files/How_Rebreathers_Kill_People.pdf
That doesn't seem to source it's quotes so I'm wondering how true it actually is

Good lord

quote:

Fatal accidents appear to be still occurring in 2015 from a bug fixed in 2006!

I don't know if open circuit divers also use a bunch of software to monitor their conditions, but a lot of these seem to be software bugs killing people.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Phi230 posted:

Can you imagine if he fell in front of all his friends and family and media and onlookers

It's nuts that so many people involved in making the doc were friends of his. If he falls off doing this crazy dangerous thing, would you not spend the rest of your life going "It's somewhat my fault. I definitely turned it into something he had to do to support my movie"?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Oracle posted:

I went to an outdoor event that had one of his climbing friends as a special guest and talked to him about it. He refused to be there for this reason, he just could not watch as he had a terrible feeling about what would happen. Then he said after he heard he made it he felt so much relief and they went and partied and it was great, but from the way he was talking I feel like the guy is probably going to be an old climber and not a bold climber pretty soon. He also had fingers like fuckin' bratwurst they were weiiiird.

Honnold really does seem to have a very hosed up head, and in the film it certainly seems like if everyone had put the cameras away and said "we're not going to film it" that he would have done it anyway. But I still don't think I could have been involved if he were a friend of mine.

Haven't heard of him doing any more free soloing stunts since then. Maybe he chilled the gently caress out after nailing the big one.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Azathoth posted:

He definitely doesn't give a poo poo about fame and absolutely would have done it if they all left.

It wouldn't surprise me if he has backed off of doing anything crazier than he's already done because he feels like there's no free climb left to do that's more challenging than he's already done.

Like, I'm not a climber or anything, but seriously, what's the next step up from there?

Yeah beats me I don't know anything about climbing either. Wasn't there another part of Yosemite where two dudes spent like 5 days climbing something that was pretty much sheer rock face and they were sleeping in hanging bags and it was like the greatest achievement in climbing ever. I think this was 7 or 8 years ago?

Edit: It was the "Dawn Wall" on the same rock in Yosemite. Honnold said the climb in "Free Solo" along a different route was his "Dawn Wall" in that it was the most he could possibly do, so yeah maybe he's just finished free soloing things.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 18, 2021

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
IIRC, some dude tried to snowboard off Everest and was never seen again.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

I think he made it down one side, and then wanted to try to do the other side. If I remember correctly, someone told him it was stupid and he said something like "F you old man" and then took off never to be seen again.

Here he is:

https://allthatsinteresting.com/marco-siffredi

quote:

The oddest theory surrounding his disappearance comes from Marco Siffredi’s own sister, Shooty. Shooty firmly believes that Marco made it down the mountain smoothly, and is still alive today. She claims that he simply passed by base camp, and is living with yak herders in Tibet, exploring new peaks, and scaling yet-undiscovered parts of the Tibetan mountain ranges.

Fingers crossed!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

FullLeatherJacket posted:

It's one of those things that really shouldn't be allowed as a modern event, but it's also the blue riband event of motorbike road racing and the single biggest tourist draw for the island (which is autonomous and legally distinct from the mainland UK), so they'll run it come hell or high water, both of which can probably be considered legitimate dangers there.

Cool (although likely NSFW) video from a fast response bike medic giving a conference talk on dealing with injuries sustained in high speed superbike accidents, which he recorded before he was killed in a high speed superbike accident:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsZBXlTHPCg

I think I'd be put off high speed motorbike racing after the first time I saw someone slam into a cement barrier and leave pieces all over the road, but that's just me obviously the doctor had a different risk assessment.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Obviously aliens

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

George H.W. oval office posted:

This sounds like a good time as ever to plug season 1 of The Terror. In the middle of nowhere, cold as gently caress, and going absolutely insane from scurvy and lack of provisions doesn't make for a good time. Of course you then add in the spooky Inuit polar spirit that fucks your day up and you got yourself a stew.

Season 1 of The Terror rules

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Reminds me of a first-hand account I'd read of a reporter who got lost in the wilderness with her husband. They went to Big Bend, which they were very familiar with, found it closed by a government shutdown, and so they went to Big Bend State Park. They lost the trail (twice) and spent 3 nights in the desert before he left her to get help, found his car, and got a search party that found her 2 nights later.

http://bigbend.arkansasonline.com/

As she notes, if they'd told the state rangers where they were going and when they were coming back, they would have had a search going after one night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sirotan posted:

The "What's Streaming?" thread in CD recently got me hooked on watching the History channel reality competition show Alone. The basic premise is they take 10 people and drop them off with minimal supplies and no food into a spot where they try to survive as long as possible, they are filming everything themselves, and last person standing wins $500k. I had seen ads for it before but thought it looked dumb and never bothered to check it out, but the comment that sucked me in was "I get to watch a lot of dinguses that I hate suffer and it's putting the doomsday prepper stereotypes that I love to the test". It has this great mix of egotistical assholes (a bunch of them cops) who flame out on the very first day because they saw some bear poop and people with legit wilderness skills who demonstrate how incredibly miserable it actually is to try and survive alone in the wilderness. Highly recommended to followers of this thread.

Well I read Hatchet when I was 11, so I should be able to win this reality show no problem