Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Azathoth posted:

9 Thin Blue Line Patches
1 Drop Piece

Just like their EDC

This has unacceptably few punisher skull decals and firearms identified. Such a poorly equipped cop will certainly never even make it to base camp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

styls trill epic posted:

What precisely is this thread about....

This is a thread on a dead gay comedy website.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Jumpsuit posted:

A guy who had to learn to walk again TWICE and thought Everest was a good idea didn't make it.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05-22/sa-adelaide-man-dies-on-mount-everest/102375832

He died on the way down.

Quote from his sister: "we take great solace in knowing he made it to the summit. The highest place on this earth."

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Can I hope for the misfortune of looking really really dumb on screen? I hope so because that's already getting fulfilled in spades.....

It would also be awesome if his stream got demonitized but thats not looking so likely. Dumb idiot is still going to be making his money.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Yeah sure go hogwild on that if it doesn't result in actual harm

Just not "haha I hope I see him freeze to death the idiot!!"

Cool! I hope he has a sudden and profound realization of what a stupid rear end he's been and rethinks all his life choices to date.

A temple actually would be a really appropriate location for this, he should stay there awhile.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Robo Reagan posted:

he could pivot from idiot mountaineer to guy who wont shut the gently caress up about his religious experience in a nepali temple

This would also be extremely obnoxious, but considerably safer.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

fuctifino posted:

I just randomly scanned through snippets of today's stream, and it looks like he's on at least day #2 without having a poop as he's a germaphobe who refuses to use public toilets, and also because there might be an insect in the toilet.

"I felt a strong urge to go today, but I just squeezed my cheeks and held on"

:allears:

Where does he plan to go eventually? Is this situation going to get better the higher he gets??

I guess "in his pants" is always an option, and is technically not a public toilet...

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Outrail posted:

Stolen from the interweb

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Anne Whateley posted:

Of course not, that’s why we have the concepts of eyewitness, or gossip, or hearsay. We value it to a degree that it seems obvious, which is why McSpanky was like “no duh.”

The difference is we also believe in, say, the Civil War, and Charlemagne. Even oral cultures do this — Maori people know when their ancestors arrived in New Zealand and can even tell you which boat they sailed on…in 1300. African cultures have/had extensive oral history traditions, so do native Americans, the Greeks, you name it.

Pirahas aren’t buying that, past like one or two levels of transmission.

I'm always interested if these kinds of cultures have had stuff like this for hundreds of years, or if it's a recent change to their society. Obviously the many oral cultures you mention have unbroken transmission chains for thousands of years, so clearly have related to story and observed experience in broadly similar ways for a very long time. Clearly even consistently valuing the same stories with no interruption-- more constant even than literate societies which may forget some elements and then return via the written record at some remove. These also typically are larger and distributed societies with shared culture and network.

But some of the elements seen in small bands, like "no counting beyond 3" or disinterest in past/future, or anything not directly experienced-- these are also the last remnants of cultures that have had vast displacements and difficulties in the past few hundred years. So much has been lost, and the human reaction to that over generations might be wildly different than what it used to be. Could we even have any way to know that the Piraha didn't have a big social debate in 1910, maybe in reaction to a horrific disease event or something, and deliberately decide to drop a thousand year oral tradition?

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Posting and posting again might be discouraged but one thread and then another thread is ok.

Not like there is an abstract concept that could connect quantity across disparate substrates like that or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Posting and posting again might be discouraged but one thread and then another thread is ok.

Not like there is an abstract concept that could connect quantity across disparate substrates like that or anything.