Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Leperflesh posted:

oxygen deprivation destroys your ability to make decisions, even when you're in mortal peril

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUfF2MTnqAw&t=253s

timestamped at 4:13 if it doesn't work -- watch how long it takes Destin, a smart dude, to go from being a smart man to being told point blank "you will die if you don't put your mask back on" and just chuckling and saying he doesn't want to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Apparently in the summer months base camp can go from 4 degrees Celsius at night to 22 in the day. So yes it does rain in the summer!

quote:

At an altitude of 5,200 meters above sea level, EBC has a climate that is characterized as a mountain plateau climate, which can be cold throughout the year. The average temperature is -17 degrees Celsius, which is considered the coldest during the year mostly from mid-December to January. During spring months the temperature warms up rapidly but the night remains still cold and chilly, dropping to below freezing. Temperatures range throughout the year from around 22 degrees in the height of summer to as low as -5 degrees in winter during the day, with temperatures at night ranging from -15 in the winter to around 4 degrees in the summer months.

Everest Base Camp Weather in Four Seasons
Spring (April - May)
Daytime temperature: 15°C
Nighttime temperature: -1°C
Wind speed: 11km/h
Precipitation/month: 7mm
Sunshine hours/day: 9

Spring at EBC is one of the best times of the year to visit. The weather is generally bright with clear skies and few clouds, so visibility of the summit is much better. The base camp is fully open, and the tent guesthouses are up once more, giving tourists a place to stay and eat in traditional Tibetan style. Temperatures may not be as high as summer, but it is still warm enough to be comfortable.

Monsoon Season (June - September)
Daytime temperature: 22°C
Nighttime temperature: 4°C
Wind speed: 10km/h
Precipitation/month: 170mm
Sunshine hours/day: 7-8

The monsoon season sees a much higher rainfall at EBC than throughout the rest of the year, and while some areas of the west of Tibet are not as wet, the area around Mount Everest sees high rainfall for this altitude. Temperatures are high, reaching up to around 22 degrees, but the higher rainfall can make the area muddy and hard to traverse.

Plan a visit to Everest Base Camp in September
Autumn (October - November)
Daytime temperature: 17°C
Nighttime temperature: -8°C
Wind speed: 22km/h
Precipitation/month: 2.5mm
Sunshine hours/day: 9-10

The autumn season in Tibet is another great time to visit EBC, with the skies being clear once more after the monsoon rains and the landscape still as lush and verdant as ever. Bright sunshine is warming, with highs of up to 17 degrees, though the winds can still be strong and cold, making it feel cooler. The heavier clouds are gone now, and the summit of the mountain is once more clearly visible from the base camp.

Winter (November - April)
Daytime temperature: -5°C
Nighttime temperature: -15°C
Wind speed: 7-8km/h
Precipitation/month: 5mm
Sunshine hours/day: 7-8

Winter is the coldest time of year at EBC, though January is actually the coldest month, with an average temperature of around -10°C through the season. However, there is almost no rain and the winds have died off a little, bringing in clear skies and bright sunshine that can still make it worth visiting. Despite being the middle of winter, there is often little snow around EBC, and it is still possible to travel to the base camp easily, even in January.

That's only base camp though.

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 7, 2023

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Was he really banned from twitch over being swatted on a plane? I think it's weird that they would ban you for something somebody did to you, or maybe they blamed him for streaming on a plane that invited such an easy target.

I remember when he was still on twitch, he just walked around and talked to people and was an idiot, so nothing has changed

Edit: yeah, his ban was because he was an idiot and openly broadcast all of the information about his flight details making it super easy for him to get swatted at a loving airport

And it was not his first time being swatted, so he definitely should have known to be more cautious by then

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 27, 2023

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

knox_harrington posted:

Oxygen sats go down a lot at altitude even if you're fine. I remember a mate brought one of the cheapo fingertip ones when we were climbing and it was in the low 80s at 4100m.

The university hospital I worked at had an extreme medicine research unit and they ran an experiment doing arterial blood gas sampling at different altitudes. They had exercise bikes a little below the summit and had Sherpas taking the blood samples down to base camp really quickly (within a couple of hours I think) so they could be analysed.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2988011/

Oh hey I saw a video about them doing this somewhere before I think? Can't seem to find it though

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

20 Blunts posted:

everest v. helicopter debating who gets to kill the human

🗻: Chomolungma balls lmao gottem

🚁: :nsamad:

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Insurmountable is 75% off on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1385100/Insurmountable/

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

At least there's a privacy screen and music when they use the bathroom. Wonder what the shitter capacity is

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Didn't the ceo guy make them do contact via text message because he hated how constant radio chatter hosed with the "vibes?"

This sounds like BS

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

ante posted:

Bandwidth is pretty poo poo under water, and they were under a lot of water. Text message only sounds plausible

e: I'm pretty sure that dude above is obvious trolling about Cthulhu though

Apparently James Cameron's sub had such reliable comms he could talk to his wife on the phone, this guy just cared more about the ambiance underwater lmao

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

orange juche posted:

What if i don't want to have a platonic relationship with Mt. Everest and instead prefer a romantic relationship or perhaps FWB, am I allowed to gently caress it?

Buddy,

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

trying to figure out how this belongs in the everest thread

Go back a few pages and you'll find this thread was all about it when it was current events :shrug:

Thread already goes super quiet between summit seasons, so people look for any "rich hubris" content in a vacuum.

But the real answer is the OceanGate threads all were gassed so of course it ends up places like this thread instead.

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 14, 2023

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Yeah chances are there is at least one goon who summited Everest but wisely will not reveal themselves to this thread, because we would ask them questions like how many dying and dead mountaineers did they step over, and did they haggle with their sherpa over less money then they make in an hour's nap.

Now what would be really rad was if we had a Sherpa goon :)

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

HopperUK posted:

Yeah I much prefer 'actual human being' Gordon Ramsay to 'shrieking cartoon' Gordon Ramsay but I think this is not universal

:ramsay:

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Or Swedish fish :colbert:

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Nepal to require all Mount Everest climbers to use a tracking chip

quote:

By Lilit Marcus, CNN

Updated: 8:06 PM EST, Thu February 29, 2024

Source: CNN

Ahead of the 2024 Mount Everest season, Nepal has announced a new requirement that all climbers must rent and use tracking chips on their journey.

“Reputed companies were already using them but now it’s been mandatory for all climbers,” Rakesh Gurung, director of Nepal’s department of tourism, told CNN.

“It will cut down search and rescue time in the event of an accident.”

He explains that climbers will pay $10-15 apiece for the chips, which will be sewn into their jackets. Once the climber returns, the chip will be removed, given back to the government, and saved for the next person.

Tracking chips use the global positioning system (GPS) to share information with satellites.

Gurung added that the chips were manufactured in “a European country” but did not specify where or by which company.

The majority of people who try to climb the 8,849-meter (29,032-foot) Mount Everest do so via Nepal, paying $11,000 apiece just for the climbing permit. Adding in the prices of gear, food, supplemental oxygen, Sherpa guides and more, it costs upwards of $35,000 to take on the mountain.

Eight of the world’s ten highest peaks are in Nepal, and the country makes significant tourism revenue from mountaineering.

It can take as long as two months to complete the Mount Everest climb. The weather is suitable for summiting during a very small window, usually in mid-May.

Last year, Nepal gave out a record 478 climbing permits. Twelve climbers were confirmed to have died on the mountain, while another five remain officially missing.

Rescues at “the roof of the world” are risky under even the best of circumstances.

In 2023, 30-year-old Gelje Sherpa passed up his own chance at reaching the summit in order to pull off a daring rescue of a Malaysian climber at the Everest “death zone.”

“It is almost impossible to rescue climbers at that altitude,” Department of Tourism official Bigyan Koirala told Reuters at the time.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Anne Whateley posted:

Yes, that exact thing is a major feature of Piraha culture. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirah%E3_people That wasn’t known before the mission because no outsider really spoke the language before he did.

It’s a really interesting mindset, part of their general lack of focus on the past and the future. Definitely recommend the guy’s memoir, Don’t Sleep, There Are Snakes.

While the whole missionary thing didn’t work out so great, I wouldn’t say his life was wasted. He’s done a ton of work on very rare languages, documenting them, developing orthographies, becoming the first outside speaker of Piraha, etc. He’s very famous in linguistics circles, is a college professor, and has an enjoyable feud with Chomsky
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Everett

quote:

In addition to a formal school being introduced to the culture, the documentary also reported that the Brazilian government installed a modern medical clinic, electricity and television in the remote area.

Hmm, I wonder how TV has affected them 🤔

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Phy posted:

When your brain is so desperate to live that it just annoys you into getting up and moving

I think about this moment all the time and wonder what my brain would use to troll me into surviving...

My bet is Shania Twain "Still The One" :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

dr_rat posted:

I don't know what blowing up random cars with a grenade launcher while riding on the back of an elephant has to do with flying a wing suit. :colbert:

I liked flying the tiny helicopter around and using the noob tube to rain hell on convoys :getin: