Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
No thanks, it was pretty trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Buttcoin purse posted:

I haven't been to Nepal or wherever that woman is from, but I don't assume that just because she's chasing someone over 50c means her life is miserable or something. I mean maybe she does wish she was living in the west in an apartment with no fresh air working for a boss who keeps giving her impossible deadlines, and many of us here are privileged that we can do that, but maybe she was just sick of lovely tourists that day, but she might also have lots of visitors who are nice. Maybe some people go there and go "oh $1 for tea is so cheap, I'll just give her $2" and that's nothing out of their $10K vacation budget but it's nice for the locals.

She's not chasing the woman over 50 cents, she's chasing her because she didn't pay at all.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's a taco.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving, and revolving at 900 miles an hour. It's orbiting at 19 miles a second, so it's reckoned, the sun that is the source of all our power. Now the sun, and you, and me, and all the stars that we can see, are moving at a million miles a day, in the other spiral arm at 40,000 miles an hour of a galaxy we call the Milky Way.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

That might work. It usually gets quickly poo poo up in GBS.

This thread came up in the GBS OSHA thread and a GBS mod said they'd be willing to deal with the shitposters if it went back to GBS.

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

I would be happy to have it back in GBS if someone makes a good op, that thread had great book and movie recommendations.

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

No issues probing for threadshitting.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It just adds a new challenge now. Make it to the top and back again without dying from all the normal Everest stuff in addition to covid. Do I have high altitude pulmonary edema or covid? Who knows? I didn't spring for the package that comes with a doctor.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah I quite like this quote somebody added to Into Thin Air's wiki page:

That said, what's the deal with the no supplemental oxygen climbs? Is it just more pointless dick wagging that people bother to do it? Or does not bothering with oxygen just mean you're carrying less and it's a tradeoff situation?

I think the belief is that, if you do the climb without oxygen, you're always in the same decreased mental state and can plan for that and get used to it. If you do the climb with oxygen and then, suddenly, you are out of oxygen, your mental state drastically declines and you suddenly can't think straight.

You can see what happens when you don't have oxygen anymore in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcvkjfG4A_M

This one is fun too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUfF2MTnqAw

I think it was in the documentary or dramatization of the first Everest climb, or maybe another time. But it was two guys working their way to the top and one of the guys noticed the other was getting sluggish. He took off the guy's mask and saw that it was entirely iced over and he was no longer getting oxygen.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 1, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Climbing with no supplemental oxygen is like climbing drunk.

Why would anyone be proud of it? They didn’t make the climb any tougher, they just made their body more pathetic.

Would you rather train do to something drunk so you will at least be competent at it, or would you rather do it sober with the risk that you will suddenly become drunk without realizing it? Boukreev preferred not to use oxygen because he wanted to avoid a sudden loss of acclimatization.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Climbing season is usually in the spring.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Outrail posted:

I'm no scaffoldologist or sailor or mountain climber but that looks like an excessively complicated array of ropes and lines for a ladder.

A bunch of them are probably old ropes that are just left there.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Colonel Cancer posted:

Why not put a high def web camera on top of Everest so people can just telecommute to the top :shrug:

Can you please mute? Your cries to not be left for dead are bumming everyone out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Outrail posted:

Personally I'd like to be thrown out of an airplane, stick my head in front of an artillery cannon or sit on a 44 gallon drum of anfo. Something quick and painless but still cool.

Oh boy, do I have a solution for you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowing_from_a_gun

quote:

The prisoner is generally tied to a gun with the upper part of the small of his back resting against the muzzle. When the gun is fired, his head is seen to go straight up into the air some forty or fifty feet; the arms fly off right and left, high up in the air, and fall at, perhaps, a hundred yards distance; the legs drop to the ground beneath the muzzle of the gun; and the body is literally blown away altogether, not a vestige being seen.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

feelix posted:

Can we get a list of people who post ITT but get mad when GBS makes fun of fat people?

There are plenty of obese people who try everything they can to lose weight but can't. There are zero people who try everything they can to not spend $100k to climb Everest but can't stop.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I have a feeling that if they find the camera one day and it shows that they made it to the summit, it will still be a big deal considering they would have made it to the top in 1924 and the first successful summit wasn't until 1953.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Outrail posted:

I really want to see a documentary or mockumentary from the Sherpa pov. Just full on behind the scenes commentary and inner dialogue about their clients.

It would have to be fake or completely anonymized. Even then, some rich rear end in a top hat would sue because they think it's about them being stupid.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What the hell is the point of bringing apollo 11 moon rocks to Everest? "These rocks have been contaminated by human poo poo from a mountain, they are now useless to science"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Didn't Krakauer accuse some lady journalist of sleeping with people on the mountain and also not being serious because she had a fancy coffee maker?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Poor haifisch, thought of tall hills and died.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Platystemon posted:

One day this will be almost word-for-word true of Olympus Mons, except that it’s really wide so the hike would take several days.

Some rich rear end in a top hat will be first to the top. :smith:

If Elon Musk sends himself to Mars, you can guarantee he will make sure that he is the first person to make it to the top.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Magic Underwear posted:

Is it not possible to build a diving suit that is pressurized to go to those depths? It seems ridiculous that the guy had to breathe some exotic gas mix that made him extremely drunk and condemned him to 10 hours of decompression even if everything went right. I guess that wouldn't be extreme enough to get their dicks hard. It was clear to me that they barely gave a poo poo about recovering the body, it was just an excuse to push the boundaries.

I mean hell, the article even says they sent a minisub or something down there but couldn't find the body. Once they had the location pinned down I doubt anyone sane would have recommended risking further lives. A sub, a drone, or a rope and hook from above could have done it.

They were just obsessed with pushing the boundaries of rebreathers. He had a custom dive calculator or whatever wrist device he had that was filled with oil and set up to go as deep as he wanted. It obviously broke on the way down. They just want to go farther than anyone else has and set records and test the limits of their prototype equipment.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

IIRC, some dude tried to snowboard off Everest and was never seen again.

I think he made it down one side, and then wanted to try to do the other side. If I remember correctly, someone told him it was stupid and he said something like "F you old man" and then took off never to be seen again.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Outrail posted:

I'm more concerned there might be a park with hundreds of missing people that noone's aware of. I think after hiker #8 of the year goes missing I'd want to avoid that area.

These places are safe if you do a minor amount of research and know to respect the area you're going to. Find out if it gets hot or cold there. Pack a lot of water if it gets hot, pack a jacket if it gets cold. Know your limits, and stick to marked trails. People die because they assume national parks are like disney land where everything is safe and there is always someone to help you. They wander off the trail or go at the wrong time of year for casuals and get themselves into a situation they can't handle. Not knowing to respect nature is how you fall into the grand canyon, or get gored by a bison because you were being an idiot.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

That article is worth looking at, basically he was negligently killed by idiot fuckers being stupid in his immediate chain of command.

There are too many stories like this in the military. Someone dies for no reason because some rear end in a top hat or assholes didn't want to do their job.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

You're saying I shouldn't bring a gun to a bear fight? What should I bring then?

A bigger bear.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Azathoth posted:

The way that I understand poo poo like this is that it's all about everyone going in with their eyes open, understanding the risk involved and judging that the risk is worth the compensation.

I'm sure the contracts and waivers they have to sign are both voluminous and legally airtight so long as they gave them the proper equipment, made sure they had the knowledge to handle being around bears, and didn't do anything sinister like tell them they're going somewhere without bears and then airdrop them into the Yukon or some poo poo.

I don't know why this would be any different than a stunt performer, who get injured on the job all the drat time.

I'm imagining the contestant parachuting directly into a bear's mouth.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
So it was like dog food for humans.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Ten ham sandwiches

That's cannibalism.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Highly recommend Grizzly Man if you haven't seen it.

Werner Herzog doc about a guy who was a self-proclaimed bear expert and would go up to Alaska every year in summer to live among them and "protect" them. He shot a ton of footage himself loving around and playing with the bears and having a ton of close encounters that didn't seem too dangerous.

Until he hangs around too late in the season one year and is in bear territory in October when apparently the bears get a lot more aggro about getting food before winter hibernation. Then him and his girlfriend get eaten by a bear.

Anyway Grizzly Man rules it's my favorite Herzog movie by a mile.

I think it was that the bears he was used to had gone somewhere else and a different kind of bear moved in.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Did he yell, "Eat this!"

Probably something like "ICE to meet you!"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

ante posted:

I dunno if they do this or not, but they should totally pay the contestants on Alone for every second of footage that actually makes it onto the show.

Would encourage everyone to take lots of cool and interesting footage. Some of the contestants don't really even appear for some of the early episodes while there are still 10 people, so I wonder if it's bad footage, or boring people.

That would just encourage people to do stupid, dangerous poo poo in hopes of getting on the show more.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I would like to try it out in a storm. Years of family vacations that consisted of driving everywhere and me sleeping all the time has trained my brain to fall asleep when in a car as well as ignore my vestibular system so I don't really get motion sickness and have terrible balance.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Outrail posted:

Huh. I very rarely get motion sickness and am also a clumsy unbalanced person. Is this a recognized thing? Just need one more data point to establish a rock solid inarguable correlation before we publish.

My friend has very good balance and instantly gets sick in VR, so I figured it must be an inner ear thing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I feel like someone would shove him out of the way if he were at the summit. can't be ruining anyone's selfie.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

bird with big dick posted:

Married couples are the least likely to ever win because of all the calories they waste porkin on the dirt floor of their cabin

I thought for a second I was in another thread where a goon mentioned he almost got onto a reality show competition with his partner, and got confused.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

vortmax posted:

Can y'all start a thread in TVIV for this show instead of talking about it in the Everest thread?

The everest thread always turns into a thread talking about random activities that can kill people. It used to be caving, diving, cave diving, and other things. This time it's this TV show. It is the way of things.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

gently caress yeah phil harding

my wife and I have nearly finished watching 20(!) seasons of Time Team and he and Tony Robbins are the stand-out stars of the show.

There are only two kinds of British shows. The first is the one that has three total episodes, and the second is the type that has been running every week since 1963.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
He also has a book that says how to do things from his videos.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

Truly the best wilderness strategy is "adapt to mooching off humans"

"Don't give that man your sandwich, Jeremy. It will only teach him he can get food from humans."

It's a shame the show is filmed by the contestants themselves. Because I'm laughing at the idea of one of them getting so hungry that they raid a family having a picnic and there's just camera and sound men following along doing nothing while a guy shoves people away to get their lunch.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I watched that movie a few months ago, was pretty neat if somewhat depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Uhh, what have you guys been watching?