Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Hi new biekthread. I am the thread's cautionary tale about peeing on your bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Also I'm sure Coxswain (or anybody else who's ridden extensively in Japan) will support my claim that onigiri is basically the perfect bike food, especially with miso or red bean paste as filling.

Yes, but Hawaii perfected it with the spam musubi.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Andy Dufresne posted:

So I guess this isn't a good time to tell the thread that my LBS has the $5000 road bike I was thinking about buying in stock in my size

Have you considered spending that $5000 not on a road bike, but on a TT bike.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Andy Dufresne posted:

Those don't look good tho
Not this?

Or this?

OR THIS?

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

becoming posted:

The HRIG costs about $15,000 USD before insurance pays their share, and each dosage of the vaccine is about $300 USD.

God bless America.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Worse than triathletes

You know that America invented triathlon right.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Andy Dufresne posted:

The red Madone is in stock about 30 miles away but tbh I like the yellow one more.

I'll help make this decision-making easier for you. Trek makes cop bikes so gently caress them.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I have no idea if I should even post this here but ehh, whatever, it's still bikes.

This Saturday morning at 9am Hawaiian time I'm gonna ride 100 miles on Zwift, and livestream it on Twitch to raise money for a local emergency fund here in Hawaii for sex workers or those who have previous been in sex work and are in danger of returning to it due to Covid-related hardships. More info about my plans the fund in this video: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/708582540

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

numberoneposter posted:

who's riding bikes this weekend?

100 miles indoors on Zwift tomorrow morning. Raising money for a good cause though, so please swing by the livestream and give if y'all can.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I'm not going to disgrace it by putting on a different groupset on it because I've already got super record (apart from the crank) EPS V3 ready to go and I'm not going to downgrade

Who cares whatever justification you've cooked up for this. Drill the frame already and entertain the thread goddamnit. :munch:

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

UncategorizedRacer posted:

An imperial century is just called a century and a metric century is actually called a bike ride.

I'm gonna go ride 100 meters and post it to Strava as a century ride just to piss some people off.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
When a store has the type of bike you're looking for in stock in this day and age (and is 10% off) then you pounce. I think this will do for bikepacking around Japan.

This is my first disc brake bike too. :3: I should start hoarding pads.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
It was my first time driving in central Tokyo (which I wholeheartedly recommend against unless you have to) to get to the Trek dealer yesterday, but I was finally able to go pick up my new bike yesterday. My delicate BMC timemachine now has a burlier younger brother. Any general fit advice for a gravel bike as compared to an aero race bike? I'm guessing I want my saddle height over the BB to be roughly the same (taking the crank length into account) as my BMC, but the stack/reach at the handlebars is gonna make the real difference in how the new bike feels.

P.S. The automatic parking garages in Tokyo are slick as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

wooger posted:

You can set up most gravel bikes as you wish, exactly like a road bike if you prefer it, depending on the head tube height.

But by default, for riding on gravel or worse, many people like wider, maybe flaired bars, higher and closer to them.

It’s environmental really:
If you’re riding a gravel bike on the road, why would you want a different fit to your road bike?

If you’re riding on well manicured firetrails that you can effectively treat as a road if you have the right tyres, you don’t really need a different fit.

If you’re underbiking and trying to ride single trackthen you really need a more upright position, wider bars etc.

It's mostly gonna see road use (on mostly immaculate Japanese tarmac) , along with whatever decent gravel may come along. It's really gonna be more of a bikepacker.