Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

spf3million posted:

Speaking of my next build

:getin:
god loving drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sab0921 posted:

With a $3000 deductible

spf3million posted:

I have a $5,000 deductible

LMAO with american drivers and american HC it's a miracle there's a bike scene at all.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

sat on my keys! posted:

Hi there men on bikes, please do not tail a woman you've never met before for miles even as she obviously tries to drop you. It wasn't "nice riding" it was me desperately trying to enjoy my ride in peace.
that's some powerful weirdo poo poo

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

El Laucha posted:

I should know better by now that there are never chill rides.
ayup. watching your frenemies suffer will always win.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Watching some people doing winter ultras without a loving bivvy and sleeping bag just blows my mind. If you ever get hurt or immobilized off trail, yer dead.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

spf3million posted:

I rode my bike today for the first time in a couple weeks. I didn't even want to ride but I forced myself to get out and move for a couple of hours. It wasn't all that enjoyable and it's bumming me out :(
Like e.pilot says, some days everything sucks. In 2020 that's also most days. Ride bieks be gay do crimes

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You guys need to bite the bullet and go to tubeless.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mystes posted:

Does that really help with giant tire-destroying pieces of metal?
long cuts no, punctures yes.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

I'm not going to go into details because I don't know if I'm allowed to, but what I do know I'm allowed to say is that 2021 is definitely going to be another year of finding something close enough to what you want and jumping on it. There are definitely going to be supply issues this year.

If you have a particular bike in mind go to the shop that supplies it, find out if they have it on booking and ask if they'll notify you as soon as it arrives. Ideally they'll give you first dibs. Don't wait until one just hits the showroom floor and expect that if it sells out they'll be able to order you one in your size.
It's not as horrible in scandinavia but I mostly talk to my pretty high end LBS.

The low and midrange stuff is basically gone, and getting stock can be a crapshoot.

Our LBS started carrying specialized (for which the owner got no end of poo poo from his own mechs) and a bunch of models are already sold out for 2021. I'm *convinced* he's only stocking spesh to make santacruz prices look reasonable.

He's also selling their cargo/family bikes as fast as they can stock them. They had 4 in the showroom and half a dozen people already booked for test rides.

e.pilot posted:

Trash kits in full effect today

heck yes

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Nov 4, 2020

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Steely Dad posted:

I’d like to do some riding this winter. I’m also pretty fat: 5’10”, 270-ish. What’s good cold-weather gear for riding (the more it looks like street clothes, the better) for someone my size? I’m hesitant to splash out on the expensive stuff I’m finding online, especially without trying it on. Cold in this case is roughly 50F, not snow or anything.
What kind of riding?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

In my kind of riding I'd already be sanding paint with road particulate with tires that close to the metal.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

bicievino posted:

BTW if you're running fenders offroad, I strongly recommend that regardless of what fender brand you buy, you use the PDW fender safety tabs so that if you get a stick jammed in there you are less likely to eat poo poo.
https://ridepdw.com/collections/custom-fender-fit-collection/products/full-metal-fenders-safety-tabs?variant=31598022950969
I have something like that on our kid's bike and they're great.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

e.pilot posted:

In the same prismatic vinyl as the wheel.

amazing

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

bicievino posted:

I mean, it's fine?
You can make a really nice custom bike with it.
You can make a really nice stock bike with it.

It's fallen out of favor for roadies because you can't make a stiff, light, and aero bike with it, the way you can with carbon or (kinda) hydroformed alu (hard to get all three with alu).
The big issue is aero since it's harder to do shaped tubes. But it's great for gravel and cx and other things where aerodynamics aren't such a big deal. There's no getting around the fact that it's much more expensive than aluminum and steel with only relatively small improvements in function (durability, theoretically, weight - maybe a tad), and is usually slightly more expensive and at best a side-grade to a carbon frame for the same application.
This is all good info. The only place to me where Ti makes sense is if you want a pretty bike that needs to be able to take a hit without requiring NDT to figure out if it's ok.

It's great (but expensive) for gravel, hardtail and commuting bikes.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

tylertfb posted:

The 'De Ronde' behind the scenes mini-docs about the Tour of Flanders are great. They did one for editions #100 - 103 and they're all enthralling. Lots of footage showing how the race is put on and raced. The DS in-car footage is great, and even knowing the outcomes of all the races, I was on the edge of my seat watching it all unfold:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFqfqO6CQko
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNpvsJ3_OJo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8iHLADDMKQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpiFLhmMFNk
These are v good every time

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

numberoneposter posted:

its that first grab of wet carbon that does nothing at 50 kph into a braking point that really gets my heart going
No one respects machined brake tracks until their first emergency big grab.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

alnilam posted:

Yeah a fuckload of grit in the winter and spring for sure.

I replaced pads about monthly...
Yeah that'll do it.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I was worried about this too, once I figured out that I could fold a piece of cardboard and stick it in the caliper when I took the wheel off it wasn't such a big deal
You LBS can prob keep a shipping spacer for you. You can't overdrive your calipers with those inserted (useful for bleeding etc).

e.pilot posted:

All that’s left is dialing in the fit tomorrow.

I got to sit on it tonight :3:

This is the dumbest (and thus best) thing.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Nov 27, 2020

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

Woom Pros:
* Weight, ~12lbs total
* Nice chainguard
* Kickstand really far back, less likely to cause crashes if she uses it wrong.

Woom Cons:
* Price, crazy expensive for a kids bike. Can amortize this across multiple kids, at least.
* 16 spoke wheels? I'm a little concerned about durability, given that it's going to be abused

Priority Start Pros:
* Belt drive
* Tougher wheels
* $70 cheaper

Priority Start Cons:
* Good bit heavier (17lbs vs 12lbs).
Belt isn't an advantage, little humans just don't stretch chains. Same with wheels, a 15kg kid could hit a wall at full speed and they wouldn't damage a drat thing.
Hand brakes are very good provided they can squeeze them.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

e.pilot posted:

I will probably tweak a few more things but it's most of the way there I feel.
I'm not a big fan of the left hand covering the H.
Those brand-font trash food sponsors look amazing

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

A decent balance bike is what, $150?
A puky LR M is under a hundo.

gohuskies posted:

Should I try taking it to a shop, or don't bother with spending money on them if they'll tell me to buy a new tire anyways so just do that now and skip a step?
This is why you align the valve stem with the tire branding. So you once you locate the tube damage you can see exactly where it corresponds to inside the tire or rim.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Dec 5, 2020

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

yeaaaaaaah buddy

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

e.pilot posted:

Did a big flat ride today and TTrashbike is the real deal, holy poo poo is it fast. :popeye:

them's some good zoomies

God Hole posted:

same deal for the driver who drifted into a shoulder and over a rumble strip to kill my friend, cripple another.

just a tragic accident, wish we could do more but aw shucks the law is just so constraining! here have a moving violation. and we'll let you put a little memorial next to the fuse box where she died and now we've moved on, you should too.
I'm happy to live somewhere this isn't common because holy hell if somebody ran my kid over I'd need physical restraining.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

TobinHatesYou posted:

So you're saying neither of the scenarios I described are plausible?

Either way, 5 counts of murder, a conviction and a lifetime behind bars for the driver isn't going to bring those people back. It isn't going to do the driver much good and it isn't going to deter people from DWI/DUI.
It's gonna keep one murderous driver off the road
I really DGAF what happens to the driver TBH, as long as they don't get to drive again.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

In an ideal world Tobin is 100% right of course.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

TobinHatesYou posted:

This isn't about ideals. There's nothing (that I can think of) to gain by rushing to charge the driver a few days earlier without allowing for reports from forensics, toxicology, the coroner, etc. At best, some people save some time. At worst, the wrong charges are filed and the case against the guy is actually weaker for it.
I'll make time for feeling sorry about the murderous methhead in another life

gohuskies posted:

The problem isn't necessarily when you charge him and with what, it's how first responders react.

Police give drivers the benefit of the doubt all the time when bikes are involved. The guy had "an extremely high level of methamphetamine" in his system and the cops on the scene assumed he wasn't impaired because that's their bias. You see it again and again, for example stories like this https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2020/12/10/anatomy-of-a-crash-cyclist-badly-injured-by-driver-yet-cops-do-nothing/ Law enforcement generally have a pretty clear pro-driver bias, all the way from the first response through sentencing when someone does commit a crime. That absolutely needs to change.

pigs are the worst, what a surprise.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

VideoGameVet posted:

Have you EVER heard of a lifetime suspension of driving license?
Me neither.
Not in the US no.
In euroland yes, if not lifetime at least multiyear. And driving without a license is a much bigger deal (comparatively).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

I'm fine with this as long as the person on the e-bike feels ashamed.
I ride my e-bullitt everywhere and gently caress That.

Twerk from Home posted:

I've only ever gotten passed on my ebike, but that be because in full dress with both kids on it the bike is north of 160lbs.

heck yes. with the kids on mine its probably around ~75kg and so really, gently caress pedaling that up anything.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Dec 22, 2020

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

e.pilot posted:

If you can draft it’s not a climb imo
Bruh you're not powering up everything at 400w what kinda roadie are you even?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

e.pilot posted:

not sure if :thejoke: or you’ve not seen my rides :unsmith:

I've seen enough :colbert:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

amazing

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

should i get waterproof windbreaker or a softshell? i'd prefer to have something that i didnt have to wash (and reapply water repellant) all the time.
You should do that on both so that shouldn't be a factor.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

6k for your first year is v good!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

Anything that makes cycling more accessible and helps proliferate cycling infrastructure is amazing.
This right here.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

bicievino posted:

I'm only so round because of winter.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's thermal expansion, not boiling. If there was a lot of room for the brake fluid to expand then the brakes wouldn't work.
This is literally what the tank on the lever is for.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

alnilam posted:

Anyone else have experience with rainy bike rides with a kid in a trailer? Are the nicer/better ones better waterproofed? Like I'm imagining maybe the nicer ones have a solid plastic underfloor instead of being all fabric, but maybe not.
We had a thule for a while and it was good. Buckles were susceptible to pebble ingress and the foam on the handlebars wasn't too tenacious (fixed with bar tape), but not other complaints.
No weather ingress at all.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The dog trailer is only more money than the cheapest kid trailer. Kids are always more expensive in the long run -<:-|

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

numberoneposter posted:

anyone have this backpack?

https://ilequipment.com/collections/backpacks/products/race-day-bag

looking for something to replace my clapped out deuter race exp that ive had forever. would be using it for day trips with a change of clothes and shoes. any other nice backpacks out there? or maybe ill start looking for frame bag solutions for my road bike.
I hate myself for spending money and time on anything that’s not an ortlieb rolltop.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

And now you know why standards and tolerances are important :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That poo poo looks horrid and you need to get rid of it