Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

just ride flats and wear normal shoes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sphyre posted:

gonna go against this and say that if you’re going to the effort of wearing bib shorts and a cycling jersey

I definitely don't do that.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Awkward Davies posted:

Wait, you don't wear bibs? Or you don't wear any padded short?

no bibs, no padded shorts, no jersey

stop gatekeeping a dumb hobby

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Awkward Davies posted:

I feel like you’re Making A Point, but bibs (edit: padded shorts or bibs) have an actual function that makes your life better. It’s your numb crotch and rear end tho, so have fun I guess.

I wore pants today

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I don't see the issue at all either. Having your light on in daylight greatly increases your visibility, which if you're riding on a mup or a trail maybe doesn't matter but if you're on the road it's a huge safety advantage.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

goodr makes glasses with untinted lenses

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

people that spend more time in the saddle than me may have opinions but I've never had an issue with "normal" sunglass designs fitting underneath my helmet

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

i took my gravel bike to the single track trails to see how much trouble I could get in

turns out the answer is quite a lot, but it was fun

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Heliosicle posted:

How much is stuff like that on your mind whenever you (and other us goons) ride?

I've only ever lived in completely tame places so have 0 experience dealing with any kind of dangerous wildlife, aside from cows/bulls I guess and they're still tame in the end. Saying that, wolves have started moving to around my area from Germany so that may not be forever.

I used to ride with a bear bell and bear spray at all times, and I've had to reroute or wait out because of moose or bear in the trail. My brother has actually collided with a moose while riding.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I think I should learn to manual on my gravel bike

how hard could it be

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

i don't know what you consider a casual place but I regularly do 20-30 miles on flats and running shoes

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I think so

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I wear Altra Timps with my Diety Deftrap pedals.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Chillyrabbit posted:

I need some 3rd party perspective.

I ride my bike for errands going out and about from A to B. Every trip has a destination, typically a grocery store or a coffee shop.

I want to start riding more often and for longer distances but I feel a reluctance to do so.

I just need some motivation to do more than A to B trips and need a mind set change to be a bit more like the lycra clad cyclists on the roads, who I presume aren't just juanting off to the coffee shop or the store. Basically a mindset to go out cycling for fun beyond transportation.

find some local touristy thing to do that is roughly the distance you want to ride

look for geographic features that might be fun to ride on/near

I like riding along rivers and canals

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Awkward Davies posted:

I just don't wear a watch, I'm unlikely to wear it outside of cycling so I feel like I might as well get a strap.

If not Wahoo, is Garmin the recommended? I can't justify spending a huge amount of money so I was looking at the Wahoo, but I could probably spend a little more and go with the Garmin 840 bundle.

my brother is a "Serious Cyclist" and rides with the 830, the 840 should just be a refreshed version of that

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I got a quad-lock mount for my phone.

I don't use my phone for tracking, but I do like having maps in easy access and it's easier to get my phone off the mount than out of my pocket if I want to take a quick picture.

I use my garmin watch for tracking because it is Good Enough(tm)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

no but the spinning weight gets some solid momentum

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

yeah, lots of exercise bikes have "coasting" but the spin style bikes are fixed gear

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

abraham linksys posted:

:hfive: my surly is also an SRAM 1x11, and yeah, same system. does seem to be the standard on all of their drop bar shifters

I'm a fan of the sram system because if I push in all the way I can shift down 2-3 gears at a time

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

when did I say anything about shimano

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I guess I could just switch to friction shifters

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

amenenema posted:

I'm not sure any e-cargo bikes are available at that price point new. Maybe a used Yuba of some description?

Rad bikes has a long tail at 2k but not sure it can carry two...

I have one of the rad cargo bikes and I've had my son and his friend on it before with no issues.

They are combined just at 100lbs.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Hypnolobster posted:

https://www.deitycomponents.com/deftrap_pedals.html
best pedals

The purple ones are on most of my bikes

I have these in mint, and they're great.

Need matching bar tape and stem cap now.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I just got a quad-lock mount for my phone

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

:sickos:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I have a pearl izumi quest barrier that works really well as an outer layer for as cold as I've wanted to go so far ( low 40s )

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

we will not be held down by the clipless establishment

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

serious answer:

my biggest barrier to any activity is the perceived effort involved in starting and stopping that activity

anything that reduces that friction is s good thing

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

I got a rapha winter jacket and it fits so good. I love jersey cut clothing so much, its like tailored for me. I want just a regular coat with the cut of this cycling jacket.

Motorcycle jackets have similar cuts

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

my mom was visiting a few weeks ago and rented a checkpoint to go riding with me, seemed like a pretty nice bike

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I use Gaia GPS, but I've never used the turn by turn features.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

that doesn't sound right

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

yeah but the examples they give for those are lower cc and electric motors

I can't see it being in issue cycling unless you are constantly riding washboard or rumble strips

even then quad lock includes little vibration absorbing ring

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

amenenema posted:

Perhaps you've heard of this new thing called a "gravel bike"

no, what's that

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

tarlibone posted:

This may sound like a silly question, but I'm curious: for those of you who cycle in street clothes (like when running errands or commuting), if you're on a bike without a chainring or chain guard of some kind, what are you doing to keep your right pant leg away from the chain? I usually either tight-roll that pant leg or stuff it into my sock, whichever works best for whatever I'm wearing, but I wonder how some of y'all deal with it.

nathan (and others) make reflective bands that you can wear on your ankle/calf to keep your pant leg out of the way

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

There's a singletrack system here that traces its roots to a guy in the 80's finding deer trails and riding them.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

we had a strider when my son was that age but yeah, they all seem pretty similar

whatever you get make sure you don't mind carrying it

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Math You posted:

Yeah I got a thule chariot sport 2 used for a pretty good deal and it's worn so little I'm sure I'll be able to resell it for most of that price when I'm done with it.

Benefits would be a solid floor, suspension and lots of additional forms such as a stroller/jogger/XC sled.

Only downside with the double seater would be if you want to use it as a stroller it just barely fits through most commercial doors and I've had to get creative at grocery stores with narrow register lanes

We had a chariot when my kid was younger and it worked really well. Bonus to the double seater when you have a single kid is there's extra room for gear. Like a balance bike and/or beers.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

just get pogies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I've been tempted to move my water bottle cages there to make room for a frame bag

foolish y/n?