Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
I thought the thing with chrome vs. aluminum rims was that they both worked ok when dry, but chrome became useless when wet while aluminum just became "not great".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Allows you to change the wheel base and head tube angle. Forwards=shorter wheelbase, steeper angle, faster handling, back=longer wheelbase, slacker angle, more laid back handling

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Levitate posted:

I’ve talked to and been friends with a lot of bike shop employees that didn’t like it when people tried to get them to price match :shrug:

Though I’m not sure it’s ever been on a full bike

Nobody likes to price match online because people are always coming in with a page printed out from ccnumber please.notascam.ng/impossiblycheapthing.htm

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Isn't nw meant to lock the chain in place with no side to side movement while derailleur pulleys SHOULD have side to side movement so all the ramps on the cassette can do their job?

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Are they just kind of jammed into the hollow in the axle or are they actually stuck in the threads?

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

ChocNitty posted:

I’m looking for a little guidance on adjusting the suspension on my mountain ebike for the first time. The problem is it has generic components so I cant find directions for it. I’m not even sure if the front shocks are air or spring. I’m looking to make the suspension softer for offroad. Here are some pics:

[.

I know they’re cheap parts so my expectations are low. But any tips will be appreciated.

Those are both spring suspension. Turning the rear shock and turning the knob on the fork adjusts the preload on the springs, which is the closest you can get to changing how stiff they are without replacing the springs. It sounds like the rear shock was unscrewed to the point that the spring was loose, causing the slack that you noticed when you picked it up.

If you turn the knob on the fork in the "-" direction (should be counter clockwise, like you're unscrewing it) until it stops that will be as soft as you can get it without changing springs.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Slavvy posted:

If you had the choice between two functionally identical (but differently colored) 105 LH brifters would you go for the one that has a hosed up looking lever but is mechanically perfect, or would you go for the great looking one that has a missing section of plastic shield so the mechanism is theoretically slightly exposed when you brake or shift (this bike won't be used in the rain).

The levers unfortunately don't interchange despite looking the same from the outside.

Is the missing cover the little removable cap that some of the shifters had or is it like actually broken off? Either way I'd probably go with that one and if it's a replaceable part deal with that whenever

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

You could try some of the bar tape that's a nylon ribbon with a foam backing.

Camp and Go Slow is a little expensive but Instagram will think your bikes are super cool

https://www.campandgoslow.com/product/camp-and-go-slow-rattlesnake-bartape

https://www.campandgoslow.com/product/eastern-rattler-bar-tape

And PDW has some fun designs for a little less money

https://ridepdw.com/collections/grips-and-bells/products/pdw-wraps-with-silicone-grip?variant=36879238267048

Blue Lug also has some fun ones including "vintage camera strap", but shipping from Japan is nuts. If you search around you might be able to find somebody domestically carrying them

https://global.bluelug.com/bl-select-btp-bartape-digi-rank.html

Dog Case fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 28, 2022

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Is there a rough mileage/hour estimate of how long tape 'should' last the same way we can estimate chain life? Is there a big functional difference between cheap poo poo and fancy stuff?

I've never really worn it out other than crashing on it. I'll usually end up having to redo it because i want to swap bars or redo the cable housing for some reason or whatever. But I've also had way more bikes with flat bars than drop bars so maybe i just don't ride them enough

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

I hope someday I'll have a bike worthy of this

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Imagine looking at the innumerable proprietary and obsolete standards among bike parts and going "but what if there were also electronics" :smug:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Slavvy posted:

While we're here, is there some specific reason to run 650 instead of 700 wheels on a road bike? Like is it a size or handling thing, or is it more an aesthetic or personal preference thing?

I've noticed that at least with mtb's it seems to be common that the smaller sizes of a bike with 29's will come with 27.5 wheels instead and this makes sense to me, but I've seen some pretty small road bikes that still have 700 wheels.

For gravel bikes and things with bigger tires 650b allows you to run big fat tires and have the same overall diameter as a 700c wheel with narrower tires. Like my gravel bike is sold with 650b wheels with 54mm tires or 700c wheels with 35mm. Overall diameter is the same so it doesn't mess with the geometry or handling.

I think the size was originally created for smaller riders/smaller bikes and is used for that sometimes, but not nearly as often as it used to be.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Slavvy posted:

That makes sense, does it mean that your bike has really big tyre clearance? Do they also have really long reach calipers or is that a wheel specific thing and you aren't really meant to swap back and forth?

Mine uses discs and being able to swap easily is a selling point. They sell wheel sets in either size that include a cassette and discs and i think they even sell the bike with both sets of wheels included.

On road bikes it was most common on higher end smaller size, women's and even children's road bikes that were built to use them. I wanna say most common in the 80s and 90s, or at least that's when all the bikes I've seen with them were from.

Edit: I mean most common recently. I'm sure they were more common back when the size was created but you don't really see those on craigslist

Dog Case fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Aug 15, 2022

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

I just installed bar ends on my mini velo and they only stayed in indexed mode for about an hour

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Might need to top off the electrons as they settle into place

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

You've got a pretty big gap between the brake lever clamp and the grip. It looks like if you moved everything closer to the grip the shifter lever would clear that flared area at the end of the grip

Oh that's from a week ago. I hope you figured something out by now!

Dog Case fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 21, 2023

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Next we should figure out if it's okay to use a torque wrench on the crank bolt depending on the potential greased/ungreased taper and bolt combinations

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

I feel like the white paint is an intentional paint job and not faded. I can't even imagine what kind of exposure could fade the paint like that and not absolutely destroy everything else on the bike

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Look for Panaracer Paselas. They're probably the best tire you can still get in 27". They come in 1-1/4" and are usually under $30 each

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Sometimes if you just give the bugs a good cleaning and some fresh grease you can reuse them as long as they've still got most of their legs

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

The best bar tape I've ever wrapped was the cheap basic black stuff that came on my bikesdirect minivelo. No adhesive meant I was able to re-wrap it several times when I changed out the levers and bars over the course of a year and it always went back on just fine and never got loose.

I'm pretty sure the adhesive is just a scam to sell more tape

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

As long as you're looking for flat mounts there's also the Tektro MD-C550 which is made for OEM use and supposedly has the same guts as the Spyre for around $30-40 per caliper. I haven't used either to compare but it's what I keep forgetting to find for one of my bikes

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

You can adapt it no problem, but the adapters are just going to eat away the at the difference in price vs just getting the post mount Spyres to begin with

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

It's neat that tubeless has been around for over 20 years and it still has that diy packing tape garage conversion that doesn't always work right feeling to it

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Thanks for the help guys

I was going to say you could put a tube in there but I didn't want to be that mean.

Anyway today as cosmic retribution I got a flat (while riding tubes) for the first time in years

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

Ten mewton neters?

That's way too much for a cable clamp bolt, no wonder they've had a bad experience with cable shifting

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Turmoilx posted:

whats the secret to finding a stash of bike screws? hardware stores suck for me so far. i'd like to have spares for crank/brake calipers/stem

For weird bike specific stuff it's gonna be bike shops or keeping leftovers whenever you upgrade bikes parts or fix up old bikes.

For normal non-bike specific stuff Ace Hardwares usually have a good selection of stainless metric stuff with cap and button heads. At least in the PNW, they might use a different distributor elsewhere.
Home Depot has a tiny selection of metric stuff that might work in an emergency but the selection is smaller and the finishing is uglier/heads are larger so they may not work for crank pinch bolts or stem bolts if they're recessed at all

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

The Fool posted:

I need to raise my bars, at least 20mm maybe as much as 40mm

I have this bike: https://bikes.com/products/solo-c50-23?variant=43474991120619

as far as I can tell, the stem is already at the top of the steerer tube, and the tube is carbon

what are my options?

Completely dumb obvious question but have you already flipped the stem or is it angled downward like in the photos on that website

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Bar ends are slightly easier to shift when you're riding on rougher surfaces since you can (awkwardly) keep your shifting hand on the bars.

Does anybody make a threadless stem or spacer with shifter bosses? It's time to revive stem shifters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Freewheels are just like that sometimes. Also a bent axle won't cause an oscillating wobble like that because the axle isn't rotating