Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Clark Nova posted:

brake cables are thicker/stronger. all cables can snap but what people are talking about above is a design flaw in shimano 11-speed shifters which causes the barrel at the end of the cable to snap off within the shifter

And in 10-speed land too. Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Yeep posted:

poo poo

I thought I'd measured everything and I'd be fine with the steerer length on some eBay forks but it's about a cm short and definitely below the top bolt. I think the seller was a bit generous with his measurements as well. I'm guessing that's too short to ride safely. Are there any cheap fixes or should I go begging for a return?

Maybe a stem with a less-tall clamp?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Mauser posted:

Anyone got a good site for buying replacement ball bearings for hubs? A lot of sellers on ebay that list the grade of ball bearing, but no idea how to judge whether that's correct.

What country?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Blackhawk posted:

Has anybody had any luck with tubeless tire plugs? I converted my partner's hardtail to tubeless a while ago and recently the rear got a tiny leak that the sealant didn't quite seal up (although it was such a slow leak you'd only have to pump it up every few days really). I had a go at using one of those tubeless plug kits but A) the hole was so small that it took a huge amount of effort to actually shove the tool in, making the hole much larger in the process and B) it didn't seal at all, the plug was in there all kinda mushed up but it was just hosing sealant out anyway.

I'm sure I hosed up the plug somehow but honestly if they're that temperamental I wouldn't be that confident in my ability to use one out in the middle of nowhere and have it work, I'm also kinda surprised that the sealant didn't work on this little hole despite it being so tiny. Ultimately I just shoved a bloody tube in there for now which is working fine.

I've had great luck with them. I used a fistful of them to close up a gaping hole next to the bead where I cased a wheel descending rock steps on a mountain on the West Highland Way on a gravel bike. Got me 30km home with about 5 ugly plugs shoved in with a bit of glue. Got home, stitched up that hole with needle and thread, let the sealant do its thing on the stitching, and raced on it for the rest of the year. It was just standard Stans, btw.

If it's a super slow and small pinhole leak then the sealant really should fix it by itself; to me it sounds like your sealant isn't good.

You could also pop one side of the tyre off and patch it from the inside with a stick on patch from a classic puncture repair kit. I would be concerned for future rides that your current sealant isn't doing its job though.

meltie fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Nov 10, 2023

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
There's one guy in the comments claiming to be a Loctite engineer. He makes a pretty good point about how the blob was applied and the character of the hole changing mid-test - but then he keeps calling it a screw, not a bolt. I think he's cosplaying - unless he means the full technical definition of "machine screw", which, gah.

meltie fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

SimonSays posted:

my non-mechanical friends look at me like I just grew a third fastener