Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Is the wheel centered correctly? You show how close it is to the frame on the non-drive side but there is a lot more clearance on the drive side. Are you loosening the quick release (I assume it’s QR) with the wheel on the ground, then tightening the QR?

I agree it’s pretty tight and it likely won’t make it fit but it definitely looks off center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I just installed a GP5k TL. It went on the wheel easily, I set the bead with a floor pump and the valve core installed, and it was airtight without any sealant. I think I’ve been blessed by the bike gods. Naturally this means I’ll probably run over a giant piece of metal.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’m putting my CS-HG700-11 (11-34) cassette back on my gravel bike, and there is play in the cassette. I googled the cassette and it’s designed to fit on 10 speed hubs and comes with a spacer for use on 11 speed hubs. However, Shimano’s site doesn’t list the spacer size and I didn’t remember this cassette needed a spacer so there isn’t one with the cassette in the ziploc storage bag.

I’m guessing that it would be 1.85mm I need since this is essentially a 10 speed cassette going on an 11 speed hub?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

Those cassettes come with the spacer so dig around a bit more in your parts bin, it's probably at the bottom under one of those useless user manuals that's basically 'This is a bike part go online for more instructions!'

I found the manual online and it’s just important safety notices in 4 languages. Thank you Shimano, very cool.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Cannon_Fodder posted:

New rim update:

The local shop has drat near nothing in stock.

I settled for an inexpensive 27" single walled wheel. There's a strange caveat, it is a bit wider than my previous rim. I tested out the brakes and they work well without the release lever down, but with it down, it clamps onto the rim.

Am I going to destroy the brakes? It's the little lever for taking off the wheel I'm talking about.

Can’t you just let out a little of the brake cable so the brakes calipers are open more?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

eSporks posted:

I think you mean trp spyke/spyre. :colbert:

How could you possibly be so wrong

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

e.pilot posted:

I did microshift for a little while but absolutely hated the levers, now I have an IRD bar end and TRP SS levers and it’s perfect.

The TRP Hylex? The drillium silvers are dreamy

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

eSporks posted:

What is a hy/rd getting you? Other than a more complicated brake. The main advantage of hydro is the lack of housing compression followed by self centering pads. Hy/rd does nothing for the former, and spyre does just fine for the latter.

Hy/rd is solar powered flashlight.

Hand feel my dude.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Your current brake is post mount. The caliper you listed is post mount. That’s an expensive caliper. The HY/RDs can be had a lot cheaper if you’re wanting the hybrid mech discs

E: should have refreshed

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Mauser posted:

Ah thanks. I'm terrible at terminology. I saw somewhere that strain from sitting too far up on the seat can lead to weakening it, but I had that thing pretty dialed in and I thought it was a pretty nice seat. I was looking to replace it with the brooks leather seat. Is that thing pretty sturdy?

Edit: I notice now on their website that they got a ton of different varieties so I'll need to see what kind of dimensions I want

They weigh a ton, if that’s a factor.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Ive bought a dumb Fuji Marlboro folder for dirt cheap and I’m going to use it for dicking around, and taking with me locally. I’ve stripped everything off it because it came with department store tier garbage parts, while the frame is reasonably decent. It came with no-name canti brakes, friction FD, 5 speed Shimano RD, an insanely heavy one piece 3x crank (1757g with pedals), a 150mm 1” QR stem, and a 26.4 seat post that weighs 850g.

I’ve yanked the 3x crank and BB, and I’m planning to replace it with a 1x 38T crank. The current BB is square taper, 68x127.5. I’m pretty sure it’s the original BB because it is extra nasty and devoid of any branding or markings.

I have a bottom bracket question now - with the change to a 1x crank, is there a designated amount of spindle length I should look to go down, or is it just a case of buying a few different lengths and seeing which one fits best? The 127.5 spindle length is definitely already on the long side even with a 3x.

http://www.foldingcyclist.com/Fuji-Marlboro-folding-bike.html

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

e.pilot posted:

I assume that’s a BSA BB shell on that frame? I’ve done this on a couple of BSA bikes now, the cheapest/easiest way I’ve found for 1x is to get whatever 110bcd crank will fit BSA with the appropriate BB and get an appropriate chainring, SRAM and FSA make real nice narrow-wide 1x chain rings that account for the change in chain line going to 1x on a 2x crank. There are tons of options (megaexo, bb386, hollowtech, GXP, etc) more or less the only relatively common modern BB standard that won’t fit BSA is BB30.

Yeah, BSA. I’ve found a square taper crank which has removable chainrings and is supposedly narrow/wide although the pictures don’t seem to show that. I was planning on using another square taper bb because I have the tools for it and I’m looking to do this on the cheap, mostly with parts I have on hand.

1x9 friction shift 26er with 2” slicks :getin:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

e.pilot posted:

oh in that case just get whatever 2x 110bcd square taper crank and go nuts

https://www.backcountry.com/sram-force-cx1-x-sync-11-speed-110bcd-chain-ring

I’ll post pics of this monstrosity when I’m done with it. It’s no dick wood, but it does fold!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Cigarette Bike update:

I’ve done a little work. I started by stripping it down to the frame. The crank was pretty rough to get off. The BB unthreaded by hand. :ok:

I’ve cleaned as I went and took off some of the scuffs. Sadly, some of the scratches are through the paint, and the decals have a couple nicks. It’a a 10 footer.

So far:
- Replaced what I’m sure is the original square taper BB. What used to account for grease was rock hard.
- Replaced the cpi 3x crank with a 38T crank. With pedals it weighed nearly 4 pounds. I knocked off 10mm from the BB spindle length and I probably could have gone a little more for a better chainline, but it looks fine.
- Threw on some Kenda 2.0 tires on some 26” MTB rims I had sitting around. The previous wheels were boat anchors, and a freewheel in the back.
- New Origin8 v-brakes because I don’t want to mess with cantis.
- Installed brake levers, shifter, and grips on the bars, which I mocked up for now. The 9 speed friction shifter is the only bit I’m a little concerned about as it’s pretty cheap and rather ugly.

Still to do:
- Install new stem when it gets here. I wasn’t able to find a 1” QR stem and I didn’t want to mess with a 1” to 1 1/8” adapter, and then get a 1 1/8” folding stem, so I’ll just take the front wheel off when I need to fold it up all the way.
- Cut housing and cables to something non-ludicrous and get the brakes set up right.
- Install RD hanger. This bike doesn’t have a direct mount, so I’ve found a Sunrace hanger that uses the axle and then provides a direct mount location. I’ll be mounting a Sora RD I have sitting around.
- Replace seatpost and saddle. This seatpost is absurdly heavy, and is the outdated 26.4 pillar style.

Nice to haves:
- Install a better QR lever on the back.
- Find another 1” QR stem if it exists.
- Throw on an indexed shifter if this friction one sucks.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Jesse Ventura posted:

:eyepop:

Did you post about this bike in the old thread? It is fascinating.

I might have posted about looking for for one but I just grabbed this over the weekend. Someone had to smoke 440 packs and pay $110 for this thing in 1996. The components were all super low end garbage stuff but the frame is 4130 chromoly steel. You could buy this bike from a dealer as well without the Marlboro branding, and it’s apparently much rarer, and with better components, although still pretty low end.

I’ve seen a couple built up online - one guy went all out and powder coated the frame and made it into an IGH build. The other build I saw was similar to what I’m going for, leaving the frame original but going 1x and replacing the junk parts.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

lwoodio posted:

The bike had been sitting around for a while and just tried to use it. I don't know anything about bikes. How do I know what v brakes work on the bike? Are they universal?

Those brakes will work.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You must replace that cable.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Replacing it isn’t hard if you want to give it a shot. Basically you’d undo the cable bolt, roll back the rubber hood on the shifter (newer Sora) or pull the lever. If you have an exposed part of the cable (not the housing!!!) then go ahead and cut it so you aren’t trying to push that frayed bit through the housing, then push the cable backward through the housing.

This is probably close to what you have since I can see Sora and it’s a 3x.

https://youtu.be/kVLmpBpC0vU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

If you’re waxing your chain and not using a connex link I don’t know what to tell you

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Clark Nova posted:

People just call all quick links "connex." Please respect the connex trademark or else, uh, nothing will happen

I’ve never heard this.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Anyone know how long a connex link lasts? Is it effectively forever? I’ve seen some other forum posts that say 5,000 miles but nothing official.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

My bike was making a clicking sound yesterday so I was resigned to changing one thing at a time and test riding until I fixed it.

Turns out it was my cleat. No clicking on another shoe. Wish all bike maintenance was this easy.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

They’re all fine. Just clean it right after so the sealant doesn’t harden.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

DevCore posted:

Is there a front rack that’s a similar design as the pass and stow rack?
I really don’t feel like dropping $280 for a handmade front rack.

https://www.passandstowracks.com/

Which one of their racks?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

My 2x10 Deore XT bike has “HG-X chain only” on the chainring. I’d rather use a connex chain. What’s the downside of using a non HG-X chain?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

e.pilot posted:

no wippermann connex no care :colbert:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I guess this is a good place to ask as well as the AI thread.

My new wheels mention needing minimum separation from car exhaust. My hitch rack isn’t far enough out currently. I’m thinking of adding a riser to get the bike up higher and away. Any other ideas?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

Take the wheel off or put an old wheel on if it's the type of rack where the bike rests on the tires.

I had a tire burned through by exhaust at a race as a kid, it for sure can happen.

It's a dual exhaust, and it's a 1up hitch rack, so there isn't a way to take off one or two wheels.

FogHelmut posted:

Complicated heat shield on the rack, or move your exhaust.

Wondering if replacing the tips with a down facing tip would work?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

I mean, I'm assuming the issue is direct application of hot gasses to the wheel. Radiant heat from the exhaust pipe itself shouldn't be an issue unless you're very close, or driving extremely aggressively for extended periods.

The sticker says a minimum clearance of 45cm/18' behind, and 20cm/8" above. That is a pretty sizeable length for a rack to be away from the car.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Anyone used a connex link with the SRAM 12 speed road stuff? Work ok?

Also, anyone know where to find any in stock 12 speed connex links in the US?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

eSporks posted:

What's your favorite tubeless tape?

I have some hplus son hydra's that have always been a head ache.

Gorilla tape seems too tall, the bead snaps into place aggressively and if PSI drops below 35 the tire slides off into the rim channel. Also burps a lot.

Stans is always trash. The channel is really deep and stans is too stiff to get into it.

I tried some kapton tape, and it was ok for a bit, but it didn't have enough stick and peeled up.

I’ve been told this is the go to, but I haven’t taped up any wheels yet since I’ve bought it:

5 Roll High Temp Masking Tape Kit... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UCBIX1A

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’m guessing an XDR freehub body should just pull off, right? I tried the cassette wiggle bit but I can’t get a good grip to yank it off.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

SimonSays posted:

Also don't get a carbon fork please, I don't like dead cyclists.

It’s very sad, every year thousands and thousands die from the underreported threat of carbon forks 😞😢

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

When Amazon sends you a new cassette missing 2 cogs and a lot of the spacers but then refunds you and tells you to keep it, you make this crime against humanity. 75% SRAM, 25% Shimano, 100% operational.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

At least you'll have good shifting a quarter of the time.

It’s even going on a GRX RD for maximum mix n match fun.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I believe the Alfine and Nexus pull ratios are the same. If so, you can use this.

https://www.treefortbikes.com/Shimano-Alfine-SL-S503-8-Speed-Rapidfire-Shifter-for

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’d get the eBay ones. They’re very likely legit, and if they aren’t, you can file a dispute. I’ve bought a decent amount of grey market stuff and it’s all been fine.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Would a Specialized bike with SRAM hydros come with the calipers installed to the bike shop? Some of my t25 bolts look like they were installed with a 4mm Allen key because they’re chewed up, and I’m trying to figure out if this was a shop thing or a Specialized thing.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

Absolutely a shop thing.

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

eSporks posted:

Are they flat mount?

I'm going to defend the shop here and call out SRAM. Their flat mount t25 bolts are made out of the softest stainless I have ever encountered. They also have a terribly loose fit on every t25 wrench I've tried including Silca, PB swiss, and wera. On top of that, the caliper was designed without proper tool clearance and the body interferes with the wrench, cocking it off to the side.

I've told every SRAM rep I've encountered about it and they just shrug their shoulders and say "we know." If it were up to me, every equipped bike would include a $25 labor credit to fix the problem.

The shop should still take care of it for you, but unfortunately it's SRAM's mistake and SRAM will make the shop eat the cost.

They are flat mount.

This is good to know. I had to stick a piece of helicopter tape over the caliper to work on it since any tool I had would rub on the caliper body. The bottom bolt was easy to work on, the top one not so much.

The bolts I installed are the titanium version (supposedly) so perhaps they’ll hold up a bit better if the original installed bolts were the stainless steel. I ordered the cool rainbow bolts and just got the plain ones in though. loving SRAM.