Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

lovely pics of my lovely biek:

It's my first road bike, first ye olde project bike, first time I've laced wheels, first time I've taped bars (I'm on attempt 2 and it's still nightmarish), stil got to sort some fat tyres, a different chain wheel and a more suitable seat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The backwards caliper is cause I thought it looked neat, it doesn't seem to make a difference which way round I have it as it's identical to the front one. Also makes for a tidier cable routing. The brakes are incredibly useless in general and something I want to upgrade when I've got the money but I'm not sure how much of a benefit there would be.

The original wheels were I think 27-3/4 or something like that, they were totally hosed so I laced 700 hoops to the original Shimano front hub, modern Shimano QR cassette rear hub.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

As in I don't know if newer ones would be any better or if it's a fundamental problem of leverage because I'm running smaller wheels than the bike is built for, also they cost money.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Do they usually have gears?

Is it true they're a lot more efficient than normal bikes and banned from racing for *reasons*?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The main concern off-road would be little stones getting trapped between the belt and pulley right? Seems like you'd have to get awfully lucky for it to happen right where the master link piece is

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

evil_bunnY posted:

this is a neat combo and apparently the new hubs aren't as adverse to shifting under load (which wouldn't budge at all if you had foot/assist going).

YES

I've done literal hundreds of kilometers on gravel paths and this has never happened. A couple days ago I did manage to throw the belt half off by letting it ingest a dark rag I hadn't noticed. I popped it back on, good new.

That's pretty awesome I have to say.

I had the chance to ride a 5 speed internal hub bike and I thought that + belt drive would be the ideal drivetrain for almost everything.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

evil_bunnY posted:

That's what I have (inter5 di2) on the cargo bike and it's nice but not perfect. It doesn't shift under load, and snaps all the shift you requested once you reduce the load which can be jarring (and noisy).

Oh that sounds unpleasant, so it basically works the opposite of a derailleur? Like you have to back the torque off momentarily to let out change?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That will be loud as a fucker when there isn't a whole car in the way, you might need ear protection.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If the best bike is the bike you ride

And the only bike I have that's not broken is the one that cost five bucks

Then five bucks can get you the best bike in the world

:sun:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Time to forensically investigate this internet person's bicycle colour

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I wonder what rgb value my collection of frame paint chips have

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Colonel J posted:

This guy was 40$ at the local goodwill. When I saw it I thought "eh seems like a good deal but I have enough bikes". Next morning I ended up getting up really early and waiting at the door before it opened to snatch it! It's amazingly clean and seems to be all original parts, but I don't know much about these bikes.

Wtf

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

Been for a few rides recently and it's been good

Awesome.

For my part, cycle shopping loving rules and I can finally do it properly now that I've got saddlebags

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

That is a serious good load on that bike, nice!

Thanks dude, it's not maxed out yet but I fully intend to test the value of SUPER CHARGED OVER SIZE tubing, as well as what a Nexus hub will put up with before exploding.

Jestery posted:

We doing cycle shopping loads?

This in my fortnightly (or so) shop on my cruiser cum cargo

My 1st gear is nowhere near low enough, but it's flat or downhill on the way home from the shops

Folding wire panniers loving rule

Those look like a similar design to what I've got in the front and they do rule, I was going to go for a setup like yours until I decided to compromise toward weatherproof-ness and stuff.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I too would like to know what's happening there.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lmao someone cut up a ninja 250 for that

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My crappy road bike went for a ride yesterday :sun:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mauser posted:

Well, I put this thing together and the rain finally cleared so I waited for some dryness to bed in the brakes thanks to this thread.

I gotta put on the racks for an upcoming camping trip and make some adjustments after the first ride.

This is a very pleasing bike, I particularly like the large jump between the chain rings. Does it mean you have several unviable combinations?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I love this lovely old bike.

Once again the hardest thing I've ever done but it was easier with a more comfortable seat and ice cream.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

eeenmachine posted:

Very awesome. What kind of shoes do you wear with those pedals over those distances?

They're just normal shoes, puma somethings with flat soles. The pedals kind of suck in that the moment they get wet they lose all traction but it's hard to find better ones that still look right to me; I try to avoid riding it in the rain anyway cause I feel sorry for it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I am a corpse

Shortly after this picture was taken I realized I had a front puncture, at least I got to do it well rested in the shade. My $12 bar tape was totally hosed an hour in, will be following people's advice and getting some decent silicone stuff.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

wibble posted:

It looks so warm were you live...

It was absolutely roasting today on my third 100k+ ride. It's getting very slightly easier, chamois shorts are an absolute game changer I must say, but I'm still shattered.

Cycling infrastructure makes me hate this city a lot less I must say :sun:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You'll need to be more specific

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The bridge visible from the balcony is the most recent one, I think it got finished last year? I've cycled it and it's nice, intelligent layout and good surfacing.

The tunnel I'm parked in has been there for a few years and runs under the big motorway bridge. I prefer it because it's almost always deserted so I can go fast and make whooping noises.

Idk when the other stuff was built but it felt and looked fairly recent.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Festive 500 day 1

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i love how hard you’re going on that bike

Thanks dude! I never thought I'd be able to do 100km in one ride and now I've done two consecutively, it's hard to believe how fast and how far I've gotten.

abraham linksys posted:

gotta say pictures of that bike always make me think about getting a frame bag like that. I've got a Topeak rear rack and have the Topeak quick release bag that slides on it, but it's a lot of heft on the back of my bike. wonder if it'd be nicer to have something distributed on the frame like that for when I'm doing proper rides instead of just running errands...

It's incredibly convenient, I'm never going without one again.

Festive 500 day 2 down, only 3 more 100k efforts to go because I'm working three days in-between :shepicide:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Day 3. I am proper hosed but there's 300km banked.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Day 4. 350km in the bag, now I get to rest (work) for 3 days which will add 30km, leaving me with Saturday for the big finish hopefully.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sweet bike, what made you get those particular tires? I'm always interested in people's tyre choices

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

F500 final day

I am very, very glad that's over.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

New bike first ride :sun:

It fucken rules

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The front wheel drive ones really break my brain wrt how the chain can stay on while you steer

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Goddamn I love this bike, best bike I've ever had easily

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Went for a ride this weekend and just remembered I took pictures

Heliosicle posted:

I love this thing so much, it lets me do the kind of riding I dreamt of as a kid

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's a combination of wheelbase, fork take, tyre size and weight distribution all adding up to a certain amount of what I call 'trail force' that wants to pull the wheel straight when it starts to flop over one way or another. You can affect it to some extent by leaning your body forward or backward.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Do tandems have the same front end geometry as a normal bike or are they a lot steeper/lazier?

You're also (when riding alone) sitting much further forward on a tandem, to really test it you'd need to be sitting in the same place in relation to the wheelbase as a normal bike.

Really the way to do this would be to get a welder out and start experimenting with extreme geometry.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Finally took my road bike for it's first proper actual ride after many, many poo poo weather weekends prevented me

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm going to choose to imagine the stuff on the back is an enormous haggis

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I got my bike dirty today, maybe I'll wash it tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just faggin along on my faggin