Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

If you think you're getting ripped off by big bike companies feel free to buy an ICAN or TanTan and let us know how that goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

n8r posted:

Single pivot? Sup with that?

The kinematics are worked out well enough these days that you can achieve whatever antisquat you want with more or less any suspension design. So tons of new stuff is single pivot (e.g. new Meta).

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

Don't want to restart the dumb argument about frame costs from the beginning of the thread, but saw this in a NYT article:

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

In my experience you will have a hard time bending it back accurately enough without a hanger alignment tool (assuming it is the hanger).

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

I'm really liking the Michelin Wild Enduro F/R pair.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

The only thing that's second tier to NX is SX.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

Well I finally busted my venerable Zees. Going to try Hayes Dominion A4s.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

I would ride the widest fatbike tyre you possibly can for snow. Biggest problem I have fatbiking is not enough float, and that's with 26x5".

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

mexecan posted:

Myself and a friend are once again registered and I would encourage others to do the same, assuming travel is permitted by then. Not sure about the US/Can border being open though. :canada:

Not sure about everyone else, but even assuming everything goes well I don't think I'm meant to be vaccinated until September. Always wanted to ride Iron Mountain though.

pinarello dogman fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 10, 2021

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

If you haven't done an air can service yet, do that before buying a whole new shock.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

Aphex- posted:

It's been well maintained and serviced. The performance of it hasn't degraded over time - it's always been like this, it's just that it's not that good of a shock. Especially now that my style of riding has gotten more aggressive and downhill focused.
From what I've read, a coil shock can address a lot of the issues I've noticed. They're more plush, small bump sensitivity is hugely improved, and they maintain traction much better. They do seem to have downsides like they're heavier, a little less poppy on jumps and they're less easily adjustable. But those are things I'd be happy to live with. I was just wondering if anyone else has experience with them.

Fair enough. I went air->coil->air over my last couple of bikes, and I think your description of the pluses and minuses is accurate. If you run a decent air shock and don't use any spacers it will feel pretty similar though. I think the biggest benefit is not feeling compelled to gently caress with the air pressure.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Put up a slew of hooks to organize the garage today.

Nice Banshee! I just built up a Spitfire V3.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

https://vimeo.com/524322982

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

Voodoofly posted:

Anyone here have experience with trials around Whistler? I was just told I’m getting a two days of riding and an air bnb to stay at for a night without kid duty as a Father’s Day gift.

I’ll be riding solo so was maybe looking for any recommendations for a cool gravel/xc route for one day and then just something fun and super beginnerish maybe for another day. Riding alone plus the physical issues I’ve raised in here means I’m just going to try and ride something fun and beautiful but stay pretty conservative on pushing myself.

It will be on a weekend if that matters. And I live in the health region so the travel restrictions dont apply to me, but at the same time I don’t feel comfortable riding in a group of strangers and am trying to avoid crowds altogether.

Whistler valley trails are pretty spread out, so you're not going to see a ton of people, even on the weekend. Anything rated green on Trailforks you should be good to ride in the saddle, though a lot of it is basically bike paths/gravel trail.
Blue trails have a huge variability in difficulty, most of them I think you would have a tough time on, but try the Lost Lake area. That's generally the most beginner friendly singletrack. Not sure about gravel ride options.

Edit: Rainbow-Sproatt flank is mostly a road or wide singletrack as far as I know. Might have some tough bits. Has some decent views though if you want to get up the mountains a bit but not hit anything super challenging. Can't guarantee anything as I haven't ridden the whole thing.

pinarello dogman fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 2, 2021

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

Voodoofly posted:

Thanks for this by the way. I was doing loops around lost lake for hours yesterday before just cruising along some of the valley trails for the scenery.

Going to go out again today before heading back.

Also holy poo poo I knew North shore terrain is tricky but riding up here reinforces it so much. I feel blue tracks here are easier for me than most north shore greens just because it’s not big tangled roots and erosion exposed granite for miles and miles. I’m sure for most people it’s less of an issue but it’s a bane for me. Sort of gives me hope that I’ll be able to ride some real trails at some point if they aren’t super techy.

I actually looked into getting a bike park pass to shuttle easy does it today but riding solo on a demo bike and doing my first shuttled paths seemed like not the best idea. Plus they were sold out.

Good to hear you had fun. The trail ratings for valley trail in Whistler are kind of a mess because green trails have to have be a certain width, minimum corner radius, no bumps over 10 cm, etc. So trails you would expect to be green are usually blue, and green trails are usually footpaths. On the other hand some of the blue trails are pretty tech, though at Lost Lake there are usually B-lines.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

H13 posted:

It looks like it's gonna rain from now until Monday. How many days should I give the track to dry out before giving it a go?

This 100% depends on your local area. Some stuff you can ride in the pouring rain, some stuff takes ages to dry out.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

I don't think you can really have too much brake on a trail bike. Running Hayes Dominion A4s on mine.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

...I was able to pull the rear all the way to the bars without it locking up...

I don't think Guides are amazing but this really sounds like you didn't get it bled properly.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

Shifting will be worse with the clutch on. The benefit is not losing your chain and less chainslap.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

kimbo305 posted:

For mechanical shifting, I think it's just how much force the shift paddle resists with, and having maybe different lever displacements at where the chain derails over to the new cog.
On shifts to bigger cogs, of course.
To smaller, shift quality might be different but won't feel different in the shifter.

Only difference I notice is the upshift resistance, but I would argue that more resistance is worse. I basically adjust my clutch to have as much resistance as I can tolerate.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

Dren posted:

I'm unclear on why you think the chain length is wrong. If you're having rough shifting with the clutch off because the chain is effectively longer maybe something else is wrong besides chain length.

The bike would usually arrive from the manufacturer with the chain already installed. Unless it is a custom build by the shop they probably didn't touch the chain. Though plenty of stuff comes from the factory already messed up, so who knows.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

bicievino posted:

Dang, I'm glad people weren't as lovely to me when I first got in to biking as some of y'all are being to this poster.

Most shops suck rear end. Not enough data to know if the shop you shopped at sucks rear end or not, but I can empathize with the frustration of having things be 'not dialed in' on a new bike.
Learning to work on your own poo poo is cool and good anyway.

Basically this, but also bike shop people don't get paid a lot for the level of expertise they require. You're getting your bike built and worked on by someone who would earn a similar wage at McDonald's. That doesn't mean you should put up with lovely work, but maybe temper your expectation of premium customer service.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

I have an Outbound Hangover and like it a lot. The self contained aspect is big for me, as strapping batteries to your helmet or frame is a pain.

The $20 lights are fine for the price, but I was always worried about burning my house down. You get what you pay for with the pricier lights. Don't trust the lumen claims on the cheap lights.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

Annual reminder to everyone that if you haven't done your 50 hour fork/shock service yet this year that is why your bike feels like garbage.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

spwrozek posted:

I believe Fox recommends 125 hours or once a year currently. nothing wrong with doing it more often though.

The 125 h is the full upper and lower service and they don't say anything about a lower service in between. Which is pretty funny because they used to be 30h/100h and I'm pretty sure they haven't changed anything that would justify skipping the lowers.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I feel like exo+ should be the lightest sidewall people use unless it's a dedicated xc race tire, cut sidewalls and short life is the common story for exo tires.

This really depends a lot on where you ride. If you have no sharp rocks to slash sidewalls or other common causes of punctures you are just choosing based on sidewall support, which means you could go with an insert and thin casing.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

Blackhawk posted:

Also drat it's hard to find even just basic parts like brake pads right now... Seems like some importers have exclusive rights to sell Shimano and SRAM parts in New Zealand and so none of the online stores will ship those brand components here, but also none of the local retailers have anything in stock, so you just can't get them at all.

I don't think that's a NZ thing. Most of the European stores won't ship Shimano/SRAM outside Europe because of agreements with the brand, and I assume the North American stores won't ship outside NA.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

Taima posted:

I've done nothing, I have no idea what to do... I did call a shop, but they honestly weren't super helpful. The guy was super cool but he was basically like "its really hard to find parts right now and the odds that we can find the parts you need specifically are really low" and sounded like he didn't really want to deal with it. Is this a common thing that shops do right now? I do understand that parts are hard to come by due to the pandemic supply chains.

Maybe that was just a bad shop and I should go elsewhere. But that's why I wanted to try you guys, you seem really knowledgable, and I ultimately wouldn't mind just buying the parts needed online and just taking them in to a shop to have them installed.

Some shops suck, but yes it is really hard for shops to get parts right now. My local shop had to buy chains online so they could have some to install on peoples bikes as the distributors couldn't get any.

Taima posted:

I'm also slightly worried that the shops will be far more expensive than online sources but maybe that's untrue?

Depends on the part. Often more expensive, sometimes a lot, but a fair bit of stuff you pay basically MSRP online anyway.

Taima posted:

I'm totally ok just getting some new poo poo (basically whatever you guys want to recommend I would take it seriously). The disc brakes, for example, is one Elixir and one XT brake because one of my XT's was completely shot and a shop literally just gave me a used Elixir for free, lol.

Elixirs are trash. The XTs are fine, but the master cylinders wear out and can't be rebuilt. You can get Magura MT5s insanely cheap from Germany, otherwise low end Shimano stuff is a good deal (Deore, etc).

Taima posted:

e: the cassettes in particular feel to me like they're in really bad shape, lots of chipping.

Cassettes can be weird shaped due to the shift profiles. Unless your chain is very stretched (shop should be able to measure it for you, or you can do it with calipers), or slips on the cassette with a new chain it should be fine.

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Don't buy from Amazon.

Depending on budget, 1x drivetrain I'd rec SRAM NX or GX or Shimano deore. Youll probably need a fully new drivetrain to go to 1x as chain shifter cassette and rear mech will all be different than 2x iirc.

Sram guide or G2 R brakes. Or cheap Shimano 4-piston brakes like the deore ones? I think vital mtb did a Shimano deore groupset review recently and rated it very highly.

That's at least where I'd start looking into things, I have a mix of NX/GX on my bike with guide R brakes and it's all fine but not fancy.

Agree Amazon sucks. Even apart from being a lovely company the amount of fake stuff on there is insane and the prices are bad.

You can go 1x on Shimano 10 speed just by replacing the chainring with a narrow-wide, your range is limited to about 11-42 though.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

I can't comment on the skateboarding part, but you need to buy kneepads based on how they fit you, not on whatever brand gets the highest ratings. Not every model/brand it going to actually fit you in a way that works, though may be less of an issue if you aren't pedaling and don't have to worry about them slipping down your leg. You're a lot less likely to hit your elbows on a bike than your knees and elbow pads tend to be even worse for fit in my experience.

I haven't noticed the hard padding being any better than the D3O-type stuff when falling on rocks. Buy something you are likely to wear over something more protective that you won't.

POC tends to be overpriced in my opinion.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

OneUp composites

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

Braincloud posted:

gently caress.
Edit: wheel recommendations? This was the stock wheel on my 2018 Stumpy FSR 27.5. Don’t need carbon or top of the line, but something decent. Also, do I need to replace both wheels or will that matter if they’re not matching?

Assuming it is just the rim that is toast you can swap a new one on there relatively cheaply. It is generally recommended that you replace the spokes and nipples, but you can generally get away with it if you are OK with the risk of breaking spokes later (shops will not be OK with this for obvious reasons). The rim must be the same model or the exact same ERD or you will need new spokes anyway. Doing it yourself is a fairly big job and has a high risk of messing it up.

I would highly recommend carbon rims, high PoE hubs, and 32 spokes if you want to upgrade. That is big money though. Building them up yourself is generally a bit cheaper.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

Nohearum posted:

Found a really nice DT swiss rear wheel for a bargain price but it's 28 spoke. Am I going to die riding that on technical terrain? I'm a fairly light rider and I've never destroyed a wheel but I'm pretty sure everything I've ever ridden has at least 32 spokes. Trying to replace a blown Stans hub.

As long as the rim is strong enough you will be fine. I've ridden 28 spoke wheels in Whistler Bike Park with no issues. That said 32 makes more sense to me.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

neogeo0823 posted:

...I found this youtube vid of a guy who modded his digilegs and added the shock absorbers you find on certain types of bikes, and that seemed to solve all his pain issues.

The guy in the video is using super low end shocks that you would tend to see on a Walmart bike. Those are going to have a way shorter eye-to-eye (read: length) than a shock you would see on an actual mountain bike, which may make packaging it harder if you go for something better.

Cheap air shocks like Rockshox Monarchs and X-Fusion O2s can probably be found for ~$200 if you look around, actual MSRP will be higher. Shortest you can get is maybe 165x38 (length eye-to-eye and stroke)?

An air shock is going to be adjustable to basically whatever rate you want, though the damping is going to be a fixed tune (or adjustable in a relatively narrow range suitable for bike applications if you go higher end).

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

yoohoo posted:

I found a Lyrik 150 for the same price as a Bomber so just pulled the trigger on that. Can’t wait for this thing to arrive. I’ve never replaced a fork before but it seems relatively straight forward (based on the single YouTube video I watched).

Make sure you don't cut the steerer too short. Like seriously.

Other than that it's super easy if you have a split crown race. If you don't then it can be a pain without the right tools.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

e.pilot posted:

Comedy option it’s a non boost wheel in a boost frame.

I was thinking 'axle too long and bottoming out on the end of the threads'. Should be obvious though. Maxles have the length written on them usually.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

VelociBacon posted:

I don't think that you actually put a compressive force through the bearing when you tighten an axle on a modern bike. Especially if it's a cone washer situation or whatnot where you preload the hub bearings that way. I could be way off I only see my own gear.

Shouldn't affect preload as there is a solid stack of spacers/axle steps between all the inner races of the bearings that you are compressing, and often a tiny shim between the freehub and hub body bearings. If your wheel has more drag after you tighten it check if the shim has exploded (happened to me on a few hubs)

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

Jehde posted:

Been a while since I was last here...

:respek:

Keep it rubber side down, man. Hope it's not too hot down there.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

neato burrito posted:

Got a Giant Talon 3 27.5, I don't want flat tires ever again. What are my best options?

Wire bead 2-ply DH casing tyres and DH tubes. Plus you'll never want to ride it with those on, which helps.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

Chain growth on a high pivot is way too much for the derailleur even if you didn't care about kickback. Idler also lets you tune the antisquat, which would otherwise be super dependent on the main pivot position.

Linkage is a fun tool to play around with if you are interested in this stuff.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

Levitate posted:

Believe them or not but yeah lower end Shimano brakes don’t use ceramic but that also means they say you can only use resin pads with those since they don’t put back as much heat into the caliper as metal

The 'resin only' is for the discs. You can run metallic pads on any Shimano calipers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

When you cook your brakes on an extended downhill section the lever firms up as you keep it held (and you lose power / pads sound like they're dying). I assume this is because the system is only open to the reservoir when you release the lever. I guess this effect would be worse with a more conductive piston.

If that is the reason it may be less of a problem for motos where you have more brake caliper/disc thermal mass to rider/bike weight (and less extended brake holding on downhills)?

Edit: Here is the SRAM take on it.

pinarello dogman fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 11, 2022