Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Entropist posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_xRWRUoH1A

Cool video, it seems like some of y'all are finally learning? Maybe I will be able to visit America some day after all without feeling handicapped.

Quite expensive though.

That's incredibly cheap compared to every other Dutch bike I've priced out in the states.

I might just buy one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Wait, am I seeing a different price list or something? The site said a new one was $500.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Well anyway, hi thread, I didn't know you were here. I ride my bicycle a lot.

Here's a picture of it from the wrong angle, LOL:

It's an IKEA Sladda. The one that was recalled because the belt snapped on some people. I've had the bearings fall out of a freewheel at speed, so I feel like the belt snapping at 9mph is something I can deal with: I didn't return the bike. It's still got the original Sladda panniers and I even had the front basket in the shed (it rattles a lot on bumps and was annoying). It lives outside under a shed I built for our bikes, so the panniers are no longer purple.

It's a good bike. I wish the handlebars went back more but I can't be bothered to fuss with it. Other than airing up the tires, it hasn't needed anything at all since I bought it in 2018. Maybe one day I'll replace the drivetrain, which I guess would involve rebuilding the back wheel. Ugh. Maybe I won't.

e: almost forgot, I have a New World Tourist in the shed. I'll be pulling this out in a few months when I start needing to make quarterly train trips from Santa Fe to Pasco for work.

cruft fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 29, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Wildfire smoke suuuuuucks.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

just picked up a step-thru Huffy Thunder Ridge for :10bux: (I prolly overpaid, lol) to hopefully turn into a “tooling around town and cruising” bike

It emergently needs new tires/tubes and a chain, and secondarily it could do with new grips, pedals, and probably cables/housings. Also maybe a saddle but that’s w/e

any reason I should spend $20-30 on a Shimano 6/7/8 speed chain vs $9 on something like this [

Naw, not unless you're planning to show off your Huffy utility bike to racers with ceramic bearings. Especially since there's a really good chance the chainring or freewheel are worn down and will immediately stretch out the chain.

You better post a photo when it's put together. You know how I get about photos.

cruft fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 1, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

it seems to be much higher quality than the tourney ones (people seem to really hate those, esp the vintage-looking ones), but are you sure I won’t have issues getting it to work right with 6sp?

Lots of conflicting info out there, but a lot of accounts seemingly telling me it won’t work

If you're okay using friction shifters, they'll work with anything. I wind up doing this a lot because I'm incredibly lazy and don't adjust the derailer tension.

Friction (no clicks) isn't really as tough as Shimano convinced everyone it is. Especially if you're building the drivetrain up like you are and know what it sounds like when you're not quite lined up.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Troutful posted:

The nice folks at my local co-op gave me a bike (and helmet, locks and lights) yesterday. I haven't ridden a bike since I was 10 and I don't know the first thing about maintenance or anything else. I'll be doing my own research and looking at the links in the OP, but if anyone could recommend me ultra-basic resources for clueless beginners, that would be great!

I really like "Anybody's Bike Book" by Tom Cuthbertson. It very much looks like a book from the 1960s, because it is, but it's been updated for newer components. For me, it's been pretty much the only bike maintenance book I need, and it goes from basic "make sure the chain stays lubricated" to "here's how to re-pack the bearings in a head joint".

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I'm going to buck trends and advise you to lower the saddle until you feel more at ease on the bike.

Raising the saddle will help you be more efficient and not worn out as quickly, but it feels sort of scary until you're accustomed to riding. Lower it for now, with a goal of raising it if you find yourself needing to go faster or not feel as tired. And then, yes, do what the posters above said to get off the saddle.

On my commuter the saddle is real low because I'm lazy and want to stay seated at stops.

Edit:

EvilJoven posted:

That is an extremely dope $20 commuter.

:hmmyes:

cruft fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 19, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Ham Equity posted:

biking and hating cars does come up occasionally.

Probably half the people in AI's Electric Vehicle thread hate cars too.

E-bikes didn't exist when I was in Seattle. It was kind of nice how in the winter my route was pretty quiet except for a couple other regulars I'd meet once in a while on the way.

I went from pioneer square to Seattle Center though. Pretty flat. I probably would have taken the bus if I'd had to go up Capital Hill every day.

Let us know what you wind up with!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

Most of the US still relies on pedestrian beg buttons to activate the walk signal, so even getting a "WALK" is a special case. Most cities I've been in where pedestrians get a walk signal by default incorporate a leading interval. Anecdotally, the leading interval in Seattle seems longer than in NYC.

There's actually an equation in (I think) the MUTCD about this timing. There's a minimum time, which is now considered deprecated, but places like NYC might go ahead and implement anyway because they have such a high volume of traffic.

I cannot walk across the street when the timing is set to the minimum, because I walk slowly. At the intersection where this is the biggest problem, cyclists tend to queue up before pedestrians, cutting critical seconds off the walk sign interval for people who need it most. (Bicycle traffic here gets shunted onto the sidewalk due to a 50-year-old bridge.)

I imagine traffic control design to be a game you can't win. You have to balance a bunch of irreconcilable demands and hope that nobody's pissed off enough to start making noise with elected officials, because after that happens, it's a never-ending stream of a new group of road users being ticked off.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

I couldn't find any good pictures, but most are flat (a 9 mile trail has 375 ft of elevation). They are all well paved, flat, and well maintained.

That's gorgeous.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

add $300 to your budget

I dunno. OP could probably ride a $200 walmart special once or twice before it started crapping out.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Mr Newsman posted:

"gently caress off dickwad mind your own business!! :argh:"

People tell me this all the time, and I don't even have to comment on saddle height first!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

What color should I tape my handlebars?

The bike is very dark green.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Dog Case posted:

Picture? What color are any decals? What color is the saddle

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Dog Case posted:

Ok yeah, tan leather to match the pie

LOL okay, tan it is. Probably going with natural cork, then I'll shellac it.

SimonSays posted:

drat you didn't say it was a Bike Friday, that's sick.

E: is that their British Racing Green option? A Bike Friday may be in my near future

Yep, that's the color! I love this bike. I bought it to replace a custom built Rodriguez that I drove into the top of the garage, RIP. I got 4000 miles on that one.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I don't understand.

It's a cherry pie.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Fish Cake posted:

They offer real-deal road bike gearing and fit into an airline check-in suitcase so you can do stuff like this or yeah fit it onto a train. Basically trading off portability for more performance.

Right, this is why I got mine. The NWT, and an IKEA Sladda, are the only bicycles I own.

I do loaded touring on the NWT, and other than needing to be careful that the panniers aren't too tall, it rides like the 700C touring bike it replaced.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

didn't IKEA recall all their bikes?

Yup. One day the belt will break and I'll have to rebuild the back wheel.

I've had a freewheel explode on a ride without injuring myself, and I know how to use the front hand brake, so I feel like I will probably be okay when this happens.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

turns out wish.com drive belts have wish.com reliability.

Are the sprockets compatible with gates belts?

Apparently not. And there's this fancy pants planetary hub that shifts based on rotation speed, which is no longer manufactured. So people are rebuilding the whole back wheel.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I dunno, the low maintenance is appealing for commuters who just want something that works without fuss or oil stained pant legs. I've been curious about trying it for a winter bike that won't get as badly ruined in snow and salt. I don't know if it makes sense for a performance bike, but for just getting around I could see it being really nice, especially as a single speed town bike.

This is why I like the one on my Sladda. I never have to oil it, it never squeaks, it's pretty much maintenance-free.

Until it snaps in half, I guess, and forces me to rebuild the entire wheel.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

the rolls tend to come as 250 or 500 feet long

I hope you got a really long ol' cargo bike, raggedphoto!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

In the future, I'll be taking Amtrak to Washington, staying for a week, and coming home. I really dislike driving (hello to my fans in the AI EV thread), and I dislike renting cars even more, so the bike is the obvious solution.

This week I'm in Silver City (which is not home) and Ms Cruft has the car, so I brought the bike, in the unlikely event I need to go somewhere while she's away. I crammed it into this bag I got on Amazon for $35 and it looks like this is going to work just fine for the train.

Whoever it was earlier who said they were thinking about a folding bike: go for it. You 100% will find reasons that, actually, you needed a folding bike.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cruft fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 11, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I fully support the commencement of "financially crippling mass bicycle purchase of the month: :patriot:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Just bought a U lock and attached it to the folder, because I'm tired of realizing I'm on a trip and I forgot a lock. Such as what happened yesterday.

Is there any way to shut these things up, or do I just need to accept another rattle?

e: looks like strategically placed rubber band, electrical tape, or rubber o rings are the Internet suggestions. Basically, cram some junk into the attachment point so the junk absorbs the vibration.

cruft fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 12, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

SimonSays posted:

Well apparently I'm ordering now

Hell yes, whatcha getting?

You had better post a photo when you get it, or else!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Dog Case posted:

You don't even have to have a use case for a dumb little bike. The use case is that it's fun to look stupid.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The use case is that it's fun to ride a little idiot clown bike

:hai:

Unironically digging the vibe here in the commuter bicycle thread.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I got my Bike Friday New World Tourist folder to replace a heavy touring bike I had custom made for me when I lived in Seattle (the frame broke in half, RIP). Here are the main differences:

• The folder has a lot more give in the handlebars
  • The folder is just a hair bumpier
  • The folder is a little trickier to lock up
  • The folder fits into trunks

That's really all there is. All were things I adjusted to in under a day.

I used the NWT as my main bike until I got this IKEA thing which has a belt drive and braze ons for a Dutch frame lock. I was getting worried about rust on the folder sitting outside year-round, gotta protect that sweet bike. Now that I travel a lot, I'm riding the NWT way more, and I'm wondering if I should go back to using it as my main ride. It's a sweet little bike!

One day I hope I can test ride other folding bikes that made different compromises for better folding. There's a lady in town who rides this absolutely hilarious looking bike with like 8" wheels: it looks like a fun ride and probably packs into a briefcase.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Any excuse to post my hosed up folding bike

It folds in half, right? What happens to the seatpost tube?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

This should illustrate the folding mechanism decently:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/126075194534

Okay. Wow. So the seatpost is part of what keeps everything together.

That is a neato bicycle!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

I wish they'd make hybrid bikes 1x by default. People who aren't bicycle nerds don't ever seem to want to use their front derailleur at all

Bicycle nerd checking in: I just put the front derailer back on my touring bike. I'd taken it off because I never used it pootling around my mountain town.

I've got 8 in the back and I frequently shift two at a time. I feel like a wider spread on the back would be just fine for a whole lot of people.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Y'all got me looking at planetary hubs now, THANKS A LOT.

The Shimano 8sp looks not horrible.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

cruft PMed me earlier to say it's this one, which looks identical other than having a logo on it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F3WXV4D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

kinda suspect it might be too narrow for a Brompton; as kimbo posted a few weeks ago they're more cube-shaped than most folding bikes when fully folded. might poke around and see if anyone's had luck using it with a Brompton, though

Update: I just managed to get the Bike Friday NWT in there without taking off the front wheel!

Bike Fridays appear to be well-known as not folding down very small, in exchange for having a ride closer to what you'd get on a traditional diamond frame. The back wheel swings underneath the bike and comes up against the main tube. The seatpost tube folds down and nestles the nose of the saddle between the main tube and the hub on the back wheel. And you can remove the steer tube if you like (you have to, for this bag).

I was able to get that to all fit by turning the front wheel backwards: the throwout in the front fork was enough that this removed a good 10cm of overall width. I had to rotate the bike a bit to make in work in the square bag, but it's all crammed in there now!

What I'm trying to say is: this bag is pretty large. If it can fit a Bike Friday with the front 20" wheel still attached, it can probably fit any other folding bike.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Oh, you have one of those indexed front shifters that has one position per chainring, like on a mountain bike. Yeah. Those grind in some positions and getting them adjusted right is a tremendous pain in the rear end, in my experience.

If you want a less hacky solution than "bend the front derailer to poo poo with a pair of pliers", I recommend just taking the damned thing off. You can then remove the front shifter and some cable and housing. I happen to like how that makes the bike look, your mileage may vary.

You might be able to disassemble the derailer, too. This might involve a pair of tin snips, which, whatever, you've already destroyed the part. Be careful not to leave any edges that are going to cut into your leg!

cruft fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 15, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Yesterday I replaced the flat bars on my Sladda with these $36 old man handlebars, and it's like a whole new bike. I'm pretty much fully upright now, and that makes me totally disinclined to try and go quickly. I feel like I need a baguette in the front basket or something. Game changer, A+ recommended.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LEPBR9C

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

raggedphoto posted:

Nothing like new chain and tune up day, smooth and quiet!

I beg to differ.

A belt drive is like that :smug:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Mauser posted:

Sounds like the Dutch are pedaling too fast. You all should slow down a bit and be careful around pedestrians.

LOL

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

mikemelbrooks posted:

We have a Gates transfer drive on the tandem. I used the app but it seemed over tight, I now run it just slack enough not to slip, also read the Sheldon Brown article on centering chainrings to get the tension even through out rotation , also I found if the belt was put one way it would gradually move over untill it rubbed the frame. So use a white marker to get the DOR.

If you'd asked me yesterday, I would have said it was unlikely that the bike commuting thread would have crossover with the 3d printing thread, but here we are.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Man_of_Teflon posted:

I have an old school bell with an enormous thumb lever mounted outside my bar mitts, and there is plenty of flex in the mitts to be able to ring it nicely.

Psh, amateur. I have a really old school 20-inch brass bell hanging off the handlebars. I attached a leather sling to the ringer so I can kick the clapper around and sound like Tiny Notre Dame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Oh man, memories.

The first time I did the Seattle To Portland, I decided to try and do both halves in one day (209 miles). Around mile 160 I started completely falling apart from exhaustion. I was crying in the saddle, just beyond even giving up, just sobbing there as I pedaled my sorry rear end south.

Then this couple on a tandem passed me. The captain rang his little bell, then the stoker quacked some sort of little duck horn. It was so absurd that it snapped me right out of whatever I was in and made me laugh.

I finished all 209 miles, in no small part due to that ridiculous duck call horn :)