Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Been playing this game thing and I really like it. I find getting the animal parts to upgrade my inventory stuff a bit annoying, but it's not too bad. Game is loving gorgeous, though, so even when doing a the few nonsense fetch quests I don't feel too put off.

sean10mm posted:

Horizon zero dawn will get my 5800x hotter than prime 95 small fft torture test when optimizing shaders lmao, all 8 cores pegged at 100%, what the gently caress are they even doing

Optimizing. That heat is from the extra useless bits being exhausted from the GPU into the room and reacting with the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

gently caress Ted Faro.

If I could bring one person from any fictional story to life, I would choose Ted Faro just so I could kill him myself. Holy loving poo poo.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

I've never had a crash while playing. I play 1080p on all ultra settings with a Ryzen 5 2600 and GTX 1660ti. When I ran the benchmark the lowest fps I ever got was 55, iirc.

Does anyone know if there's a save editor, or know how the gently caress the saves are encoded? I saw there was a Decima engine assets unpacker on github but it didn't say anything about the save format.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Yeah the side quests in The Frozen Wilds were much better, overall, than the base game. The ones I liked the most:
  • Death from the Skies
  • Robbing the Rich
  • Acquired Taste
  • Heap of Trouble
  • A Daughter's Vengeance
  • Traitor's Bounty and Queen's Gambit
  • Talking to Nil (not a side quest, but holy gently caress what a weird guy)

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

pmchem posted:

yeah, ugh. I guess in most RPGs I'm used to a power progression where my character or his/her weapons starts getting buff, and I can just roll over old enemies with a few attacks. This doesn't appear to be that type of game, at least not yet. I can quickly dispatch some enemies by going for weakpoints as people discussed, but if there are a lot of enemies I'm faced with either a dodge-fest brawl or just taking a whole lot of time to deal with the AI one-by-one as designed.

I may drop the difficulty to normal and just turn it back up if normal feels too boring. Hard isn't really "hard", it's just, more tedious. Still an enjoyable game.

If you have The Frozen Wilds the weapons you get there are the pimp rear end powerups you are thinking of. Getting the Banuk Bows made me feel like a demigod when I went back to fighting in the non-DLC zones, even against my most hated enemy: the robot moles.

Edit: Also, yeah, switch it up on the weapons. As an example, I tended to use the blast sling against things like the Stalkers (invisible panther robots) when they got up close because it was way easier to aim because it always hits for a set amount of damage that ignores armor. If I had a big enemy I knew was gonna follow me through a narrow area, the trip caster was ideal, especially once I had the perk for picking traps back up.

I didn't use the rope caster much until later in the game, in particular until I had to kill a loving Stormbird as part of a quest and gently caress fighting fair against one of them, but it was supremely useful to tie down a few enemies so I could focus on one at a time.

Overall though, the combat is meant to be a dodge-fest brawl, cheesetastic time sink (I cleared the corrupted zone that has two corrupted moles by standing across the river where they couldn't go, but would still get aggroed by me shooting them with 1000 arrows), or a carefully planned one-on-one fight.

Admiral Ray fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 31, 2020

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Hemish posted:

I kept using those bows but it turns out I did the DLC with only 2 main missions to go so I didn't use them much outside of the DLC. Since I suck at aiming, most often than not I launched my arrows before the bow was fully drawn (the DLC bows seem to do more damage when you're fully drawn compared to the base game bows where it only affects accuracy). If I ever do a NG+ with those weapons, maybe I'll go back to the normal Shadow Hunter bow but keep the Banuk for the sharpshooter...

I just realised that the Banuk bow would maybe be better with Handling mods so I could draw them faster and use the fully drawn damage bonus.... instead of putting 3 damage mods in the Banuk Hunter...

Hmm... I love figuring stuff out once my 60h playthrough is done. I suck.

Yeah, once the Banuk bows are fully drawn you get this little visual effect near the arrowhead and they do like 3 times as much damage. The sharpshooter one is great for that since you are probably not shooting it quickly anyway, but honestly the most important one is the War Bow. The elemental effects are similarly boosted, so you can corrupt a machine in a single 3 arrow volley or freeze them in two volleys. Corrupting machines was always the funniest thing to me, even better than overriding them.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

If humans disappeared off the face of the earth tomorrow most remnants of our civilization would be overtaken in decades, not centuries, so the game is already taking some artistic liberties with the ruins they display.

Chernobyl hasn't been completely taken over by plants and nobody tends to it. i don't buy that places like NYC or whatever would be totally overgrown. concrete and steel lasts a long long time.

the biggest liberty they take, imo, is all the stalactite and stalagmite growth in the bunkers and poo poo.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Kibayasu posted:

Apparently if water starts running through concrete you can get some really fast stalactite-like growth under certain conditions. So while there likely wouldn’t be as many as there are in the game and it seems probably not shaped like natural cave growths it isn’t completely made up https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calthemite

That's a good point, I didn't know about that at all. Added to the head canon!

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

I hate Ted Faro far more than any other video game character because he actually exists in the form of Elon Musk.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Kraftwerk posted:

Also one plot hole that doesn’t make a lot of sense to me is how they were able to hide zero dawn’s existence from the faro plague. Don’t they sweep the entire planet turning over the earth for resources? If they don’t find the various bunkers and cradles I find it difficult to believe they wouldn’t notice a bunch of Minerva bots trying to build the signal towers and then proceed to attack, recycle and corrupt those bots? They never did a good job of explaining how they brute forced the shutdown codes.

The in-game explanation is that the software glitch in the Hartz-Timor Swarm caused it to change its fuel preference hierarchy from Proper Refueling > Organic Matter Conversion to Organic Matter Conversion only. It didn't look for resources in the standard way, it had no search pattern or understanding of human survival instincts. Thus, to hide from the Swarm, they sealed the bunkers in such a way that prevented detectable energy leaks that the Swarm would detect. After consuming all the organic matter it could detect, the Swarm entered a state of dormancy. The actual construction process for the towers is unclear, but it's fairly likely that the Swarm wouldn't have awoken without another external signal anyway and that the construction of the towers and Minerva's code breaking was simply a measure of assurance.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Yeah the facial animations are super stiff in the main game. Avad was particularly bad, guy seemed like he had just gotten done with some botox injections. The animations in the DLC are fantastic.

ashpanash posted:

Aloy didn't completely save the world at the end. She just stopped the immediate threat. GAIA still needs to be rebuilt and the subordinate functions dealt with or the terraforming system will ultimately fail.

We don't really know what Sylens' intentions are. It's nearly impossible to believe they are altogether altruistic, but at the same time, it's not clear that they are absolutely evil. And if Aloy truly wants to save the world, she's going to need the help of people like Sylens. So I like the stinger. It's ambiguous enough to imply that there's more story to tell, not that Sylens is straight-up the new antagonist.

I bet Sylens capturing HADES will gently caress us over majorly and then turn out to be integral in saving rebuilding GAIA, just like Ted's machinations hosed everything over majorly but turned out to be integral in stopping HADES.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

drat that gameplay video look dope. Hope PCs won't have to wait 2 or 3 years for a port, but if they do they'll get it around the same time people can finally walk into stores and buy PS5s.

Recently I found someone actually defending Ted Faro's honor in the wild. I dunno why I thought I'd never see that, but it is very bizarre.

Admiral Ray fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 29, 2021

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

The inventory management was the worst part of the game by far. I'd like it if games had a "sell all not needed for further upgrades/crafting/bragging" button.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Collateral posted:

That would mean admitting most of the collecting is useless busy work though, even the non trash items are mostly pointless.

I liked collecting trash in this game in large part because it was so pretty.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Travis Tate should have been from New Jersey and been covered in gold chains and bling. Team needed a classic wise-guy type to crack some knees and it wasn't the southern Tate.

exquisite tea posted:

There are a bunch of reasons why a shadowy cabal of billionaire financiers would have falsified telemetry data to gently caress off from Earth, even outside of wilder explanations like Vast Silver getting onboard.

Anyway, look at the 3 meteors falling back to earth in the Forbidden West trailer and compare it to the Odyssey ancient vessel logo. :eyepop:

It's Tiberium! Kane lives in death!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Tate has the right voice for his character. Can you imagine some kind of gruff New Yorker delivering those lines? It would be intolerable. There are a lot of themes in the game of spirituality and gods, or God, coming into and going out of machines. A nice thick drawl for a sinner like Tate (and make no mistake, he’s not a nonbeliever or even an evil guy but he is, 100%, a sinner) is just right. He’s a broad character but that’s what you need for someone who’s so important but only at the edge of the story.

Not those specific ones since they have a lot of Southern specific analogies and metaphors, but yeah I can imagine roughly the same character if they came from a deeply Catholic Italian-American family.