Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

sharknado slashfic posted:

We think the NFL is gonna sacrifice lives for games, I can't wait to see what the SEC does

Well here's a preview if you haven't seen it already. From a call between players and administrators.

quote:

“We’re going to have positive cases on every single team in the SEC. That’s a given. And we can’t prevent it.”

quote:

Players...raised similar concerns, with one player asking: “For so much unknown in the air right now, is it worth having a football season without certainty?”

Sankey, who earned a $2.5 million salary in 2018, responded: “Part of our work is to bring as much certainty in the midst of this really strange time as we can so you can play football in the most healthy way possible, with the understanding there aren’t any guarantees in life."

Whole article is worth a read, everything is impressively slimy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Doctor Teeth posted:

isn't that the league that had a pinkeye or mono (can't remember which) outbreak because players were sharing water bottles?

You're probably thinking mumps a couple of years ago, but both other things could have happened too.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

Iirc Del Rio beat the poo poo out of a dude who he thought crossed the picket line during the 87 strike, so... maybe?

This was Otis Taylor, hall of very good for his time Chiefs WR who was then working as a scout. He must have kept himself in pretty good shape, he'd retired 12 or 13 years earlier.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

shirts and skins posted:

Yes, but almost always immediately injured.

5.8 career YPC!

Almost all of it came in one game against Carolina. He was kinda poo poo otherwise in the 5 games he did play. I guess he did have a 45 yard receiving TD against the Jets.

Raku posted:

Probably because he's trying to get out of his own scandal already so this is a good chance to show he's turned over a new leaf (ha... ha...)

I don't know that I trust Snyder to even have this pathetic amount of natural PR chops. I think it's a tossup between Snyder doing it, Rivera knee jerk doing it, and things somehow being even worse than they already sound to the point where there was no choice even for a ridiculously tone-deaf organization but to do it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Watching the 49ers/Ravens game from last year on NFLN that was played in a rainstorm. A report from the 49ers sideline:

'These guys soaked their footballs before the game. They wanted people to touch them, they wanted people to throw them, hold them. Just wanted everyone to get a feel for how it's going to be out there.'

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 9, 2020

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Alaois posted:

Paxton Lynch

Huh he's still around (on the Steelers) looking him up. I just assumed he went wherever first round QB busts go at some point.

I guess it was only 2016 when he was drafted, seems like it's been longer.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Alex needs to turn himself into Peterman asap.

I don't think he's mentally capable of this.

Wheels were always a pretty big part of his game though, so there's a possibility he's unplayably bad now instead of...well wherever you feel like classifying pre-injury Alex Smith. Which would make me a little sad, I like the guy, but that'd be the best. I want him off a football field while he can still walk around and I want him paid.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Gatts posted:

Can Gronk throw?

If you could teach him to take a snap from under center he could probably spike it.

The wind up might be a problem if you've got some penetrating DTs though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
The Chiefs plan to open Arrowhead to the public at 22% cap week one if we're determined to do this.

https://twitter.com/adamteicher/status/1295466915205447683

I haven't seen anything one way or the other on tailgaters, but I haven't been paying a ton of attention.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SKULL.GIF posted:

What criteria are we using here?

Vrabel took the Titans to the AFCCG, O'Brien hasn't made it past the divisional round. Vrabel also has the better record (0.562 vs 0.542) and isn't roundly derided by the league for terrible GMing.

From a purely 'coaching tree' standpoint Vrabel belongs to O'Brien's tree (or Urban Meyer's possibly). He never coached under Belichick.

We don't consider Herm Edwards a part of Dick Vermeil's coaching tree for instance.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Supposedly Jarred Stidham has a “leg injury” he’s been working through and that’s why he’s sucked. Sounds awfully convenient to me.

Hell, if that's the problem he probably needs surgery then. He must have been trying to play through it since he transferred to Auburn :v:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
43 has a fair amount of anti-effort going on there too.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

It's Edleman isn't it

Close. Well kinda close.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FizFashizzle posted:

So he’s probably already in Dallas right

He was actively angling for Dallas when he was leaving Seattle wasn't he?

I mean for what he'll be able to pull pay-wise here and for what Jerry will give him it seems like it's be stunning if he ended up anywhere else.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Deleted, what was it?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I kept trying to figure out why West Virginia or the Washington Huskies were involved in this graph for the W toward the bottom before I figured it out.

If that's the graph logo it's gonna take me a bit to get used to it, although no complaints obviously. Also whew the Vikings obviously.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
All of this ET stuff reminded me that Eric Berry is still out there claiming to want to play. I think he might be overestimating his value though, apparently the Colts sniffed around earlier this year but couldn't make a deal happen.

I guess I also have no clue if it's more dangerous for Berry to play than other people as a cancer survivor.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spoeank posted:

Joe Judge lmao

The only other highish level coach I can remember who did this was Charlie Weis at Kansas.

So, uh, get ready for your decided schematic advantage Giants fans.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I mean, very small potatoes compared to everything else but there is no doubt in my mind this bit is true from that Snyder/Washington story:

quote:

Those who work directly for Snyder heed a long list of protocols... clean the owner’s desk each morning, ensuring that his calendar and daily kitchen menu are in the proper locations and that his paper clips all face the same direction.

Dan is 100% the type of person who would be confounded and angry about having to look at a paper clip and figure out how to orient it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Gonz posted:

I haven't even been paying attention. Are they doing a double header or anything in Week 1?

MNF double header is on as usual. Schedule looks normal.

It is two weeks from now and not next week though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Someone needs to test Urlacher's brain for signs of CTE.

Or get him to try to throw down with Bas Rutten and go through with it this time in case he doesn't have it yet.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

The Double Doink has utterly destroyed Matt Nagy. To think there was that season he looked like a good coach.

Do we have specific instances for other coaches where we can point to exactly where their brains are stuck?

I can think of lots of things that certain guys won't stop harping about, but individual plays making you do incredibly dumb poo poo the rest of your career seem pretty rare.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

nerve posted:

is this because you dont like his college team, because you are being contrarian, or is there something actually to this?

He slowed down a little bit last year but is still the best prospect before we see what he ends up as since Luck as far as I can tell?

You should feel free to hate Clemson either way though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
That would have been my answer to as to team, but I'm still not ready to accept those pants even though they're everywhere now.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/1300407514660564992

Huh.

I'm on the Fournette truther side where I think maybe he could have been good with decent coaching, but I also can't argue just dropping him at this point.

e:fb

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

fsif posted:

How lovely a player is Fournette? His stats from last year look okay.

I don't think he was ever worth 4th overall or anything, but I do think he'd be a fine player if he wasn't treated as an old school workhorse back where you just hand him the ball into 8 man fronts every snap. But I'm on record as liking the guy for what he could be and not what he is, I'm sure others will disagree.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Wait what?

https://twitter.com/danielrpopper/status/1300474620533899264

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

I am now hoping the season is cancelled

I mean if there was ever a year to have surgery and sit out if Spoeank is right this seems to be it.

I still can't believe we're going to do this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I would make fun of you here but other AFC West fans are screaming the same thing.