Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Romes128 posted:

This is one of the more annoying things about combat. Why even bother putting a dodge in if it only moves you like two inches.

It's super frustrating, because they say "when you see a red warning indicator, you have to dodge" but sometimes it is literally impossible to dodge anyway even with the indicator, and 'sometimes' is actually 'often'. For a long time I thought I had the buttons wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I feel like the game would have been better if after the opening section, it was about Kamela creating the resistance, in the wake of the Avengers going under, and it was a bunch of Marvel B listers, Black Cat, Domino, Forge, Cloak and Dagger, that kind of level that she recruits. (Except, I guess, newer ones that they wanna push, I haven't read the comics in a while so I don't know who the currently pushed ones are). Then you have the resistance infiltrated, and there's a whole paranoid section but it turns out you were infiltrated by Black Widow!!! Who needs to recruit you all to Shield, that has gone underground, to restart the AVENGERS INITIATIVE!! (Cue Silvestri music). I mean I guess that's too many characters to code, and I get that Hulk is what sells, but, I can't help but feel when you start playing as him, while it's hilariously fun, he doesn't feel as insanely powerful as he should. I think there needs to be 'something' more in the game to hype the power level of these dudes up. You never get the sense that they're more powerful than your typical streets of rage brawler type.

Hulk should have a super where he jumps into the heavens, and then falls down like a comet and just obliterates all enemies in a visible radius leaving a big permanent crater (texture) where he lands. Stark should have a super where it goes POV for about 3 seconds, and Jarvis puts a target reticle over every enemy you see, with your vision spinning really quick so you can easily tag every enemy nearby, then it goes back to third person and he launches HUNDREDS of those seeker missiles from IM2 that all explode about the size of the portals that bring enemies in just loving all over the place.

etc etc. The supers they have are cool but none of them make you feel invincible, like you HUGELY outclass everything in the entire game, and I feel like for an Avengers game, that power fantasy should have never left sight of anyone working on it.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Seedge posted:

Yeah, how would Stretchy Arms, Lady Who Can Be Invisible, Guy Who Can Fly and Shoot, or Big Tough Dude have possibly compared to Kamala, Widow, Tony or Hulk?

I think the problem with the fantastic four though, has always been that they are boring as poo poo. They absolutely couldn't compare to literally anyone, ever, because they are the most milquetoast superheros of all time. The ONLY redeeming feature about them is their rogues gallery, because it includes Silver Surfer and DOOM. Id honestly rather the roster was some stupid crossover called STRETCHERS consisting solely of Plastic Man, Elongated Man, Kamela Kahn and Paper Doll, than it was the fantastic 4.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Yeah the rockets are close range AOE and it makes a world of difference

They eat your ....ugh, yellow bar super fast though. Anyone else find that usually you can't press circle to descend with iron man? It's super annoying when you want to land quickly so that you can dodge (which is in itself counter intuitive) and he just won't go down... Man. His flight is so cack.

/edit: This was a right Debbie downer post! I loving love this game and am gutted I'm in the last level. MODOK HYPE!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Ugly In The Morning posted:

He’s not going to get to fight MODOK. I think that counts as an issue.

I mean, maybe they’re in some multiplayer missions but everything about him in the story mode was a delight for a marvel nerd like me.

Yeah, he's my favourite Marvel character (or maybe Madrox the multiple man) and I was always sad that he's impossible to film, and too niche and too weird to really ever show up anywhere high profile and then THIS! It really is magnificent!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Mr Beens posted:

Generally reloading a checkpoint (or quitting and starting the game if not possible) will clear those glitches. I've had a few in various places. Reinstalling the whole game is an odd first choice.

And, yeah, it happens a fair amount. I've been cheated out of getting quest-chain exclusive rewards too, the game is hella buggy. My wife was watching the credits after I finished it and was like "How can the credits be so bad, they know the hardware and it's just some text?" I had no answer.

Anyone know how that's possible? Like the framefrate on the end credits is AWFUL. And, yeah, HOW? I'm gonna go ahead and assume that it involves someone doing tons of coke, stalking and murdering someone, with a splash of #MeToo, as all these big budget Dev fiasco stories tend to devolve into eventually.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I finished the campaign, and I did love it, but the game certainly has it's flaws. For me, the biggest is still the damaged power fantasy. Being the Avengers in this often feels sorta helpless. Like, when I finally got to start kicking rear end with Cap, that should have been a really AWESOME moment, where I sprung into action and started dropping fools like it ain't no thang. Only, what actually happened was, it wasn't entirely clear that a cutscene had ended for like a quarter of a second which was PLENTY of time for me to get stunlocked with missiles / bombs and go really low on health, and nervously perform shameless hit and run tactics on a group of mooks.

Like, I don't want the game to be 'easier', but it's a bit... odd... when as THE INCREDIBLE HULK!™ you get one shot by some random robot "not especially lifting up" a spiky frost hammer. That specific example is kind of on me because I hadn't upgraded my equipment at that point, but, then again, I never had the ... nanites? Whatever the resource is, to do it much, until that point VERY late in the game, and previously whenever I'd spent it to upgrade something I would immediately find a new bit of kit that rendered the upgrade useless so....? It just feels very uneven, and when it's punishing it's BRUTALLY so in a way that makes you feel incredibly puny. A lot of the rest of the time it's glorious though.

Related: As Nat in her training, the very last thing I had to beat was a random mook with a shield. Since the 'run at them and press O' move doesn't EVER work, what are you meant to do? Does she even have that move? Or was I meant to be doing something else? I feel like once all these sorts of 'how was I meant to not die there?' questions are answered, this game would be amazing.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Orv posted:

I mean I get why people are disappointed by the feel of the characters not just mowing down everything in their path but it wouldn't be much of a game at that point. Even the Prototype games, which are probably the best follow-ups to Hulk: Ultimate Destruction had enemies that you couldn't just mow through in a split second.

The lethality is pretty rough though, yeah. I've gotten 100-0'd a few times just by getting caught in the wrong place by two Elite Synthoids doing their underarm laser thing and instantly deleting me. It's not a great feeling.

Yeah, it's basically what everyone's said, it's not that I wanna be able to just mow everything down, and really I think my comment on the hulk death was probably a separate point that muddied the waters.

What I mean is: There needs to be orchestrated points in the game (and, there ARE, just, more? More obvious ones? I dunno) where it introduces a concept and it introduces it as loving BADASS instead of 'have a go working out what this does while you get sniped with 3 lasers'. It basically explains everything in the game after you've had to do it / use it for the second or third time, at which point it's sort of annoying. So like, I think they get the bifrost introduction right, the first time you ever get to do it, it's to do something awesome. Likewise playing as Hulk for the first time, the nature of the fight means you just smash the crap out of everything and everyone and it looks and feels amazing. It's quite soon that you're playing as him in an enclosed space where basically everything explodes in a shower of sparks when you touch it, and it just FEELS like you are the Hulk. It's not the game being 'easy' as much as it is having set sequences that aren't really meant to serve as a challenge, but are to illustrate just how powerful you can be in this world. The mission with Tony shooting up all the stuff outside your house with Banner and Kemala running amok beneath you FEELS great, it's hectic and actually kinda difficult, but you can FLY and you've got an Iron Man suit to take them out with! You FEEL powerful, even if you're losing the fight. Even with Nat Sneaking into AIM HQ, going invisible to take out a solitary guard, like that would never be difficult without going invis, but you FEEL like a super spy at that point, it's great! I don't feel like Cap ever gets anything like that. He even gets a few of the opposite, where you fight that airborne tank thing, that you have to use jump pads to get on top of, and you just WISH you could play as Iron man cos it would all be over in seconds instead. Later, you spend a while running, jumping, working you way through the AIM base at the end to get up onto the transmitter, and you have to fight your way through and solve a puzzle to get stuff in place to form a ramp so you can run up to it, and you make your massive jump! And.... there's Iron man and Thor just flying by... . I never WANTED to be Steve Rogers for any reason, and I feel like that's a mistake. The others didn't suffer it so completely, but in places they did, and I just think that's the biggest shame of it being pushed. I reckon Arkham Batman would beat them all in a fight, and Kratos wouldn't even break a sweat making GBS threads on these guys. I know that isn't really fair and is a stupid 'my dads bigger than your dad' thing to say, I only mean it to highlight that I think there's an element to this that's not just 'bad guys falling through the floor' that needs patching, but I DO genuinely think it's not far off and if they do keep at it with updates it has just the BEST potential! Like, if they ever make a sequel I think it might be my favourite game.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Deptfordx posted:

Yeah that's the bit I don't understand. How the hell do you make an Avengers game and have such boring locations for your games as a service grind.

That's one of the things I really like about Vermintide 2. There's a wide variety of locations you find yourselves in.

In fact I'm wondering if the Vermintide, Left for Dead model. With an AI director instead of fixed spawns, specials and that style of end bosses/challenges wouldn't have been a better model for the grind part.

Yeah, I'm pretty much over the core gameplay loop of Vermintide 2, but the locations are cool and exciting enough, even without there actually being any interaction with them, that it's still exciting to play! I can't really think of many other games like that, that aren't walking simulators, where literally just 'seeing' the next location is enough of a draw to make it fun?

Whereas Avengers, I actually don't remember what any of the post campaign maps I've played were actually meant to be? I assume 'AIM lab', but, I mean, it's so generic it could have been the BIGGEST BADDEST AIM lab or it could just be the one where they make the stationary they use, I dunno. I dont remember.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

mikemil828 posted:

You do that then, just don’t say you weren’t warned.

Fuckin LOL AF at this comment. Just imagining at some point in the future, anyone going

"I change my mind, this game is bad. OH WAIT, poo poo, that guy WARNED me about this!! WHY didn't I listen?! If only id listened, and hated the game all the while I was playing it up until now, instead of enjoying it, then this SUDDEN revelation of it actually being bad would be barely lessened! gently caress, I'll have to find him and let him know he was right, and that I actually DIDN'T enjoy any of it all along!" Or... Like what? What are you suggesting here? Like if they don't release great dlc, somehow you are vindicated? No, if they don't release great dlc, then it's just bad dlc and we don't play it. No one gets emotionally invested in it like it's some war of emotions with a winner taking a trophy?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Ruffian Price posted:

Exactly, so why did you?

Well because this is a forum where you talk about stuff, (it isn't me playing the game, my investments here are a different thing) and this concept genuinely makes me laugh. I'm going to put it into a script I'm writing, as a concept, the absurdity of it tickles me and I'm lampshading it in case it does someone else, if they stop and think about it, rather than just writing it off as ignorable trite.

I guess if I think about it further, I was as flippant and mean about it because I don't really think about replying to actual human beings so much and these days that's probably wrong. Like I don't even look at avatars let alone names, you could all just be one schizophrenic robot to me. So, sorry about that. I should work on that.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

ketchup vs catsup posted:

hulk should be functionally downable (I get that it's called 'willpower' but that's a sidestep), should ~1 hit kill/KO everything but the kree at campaign's end or abomination, and every time he gets hit he should get a flat infinitely stackable damage buff that lasts as long as there's any enemies alive in the room.

However, you actually play as Banner who plays like a much weaker much slower Cap, and can only 'Hulk out' when you build a rage bar. You build the rage bar any time you get stunned and the accelerometer in your controller registers that you've smashed it against the table.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I got this fairly soon after release and played and loved the campaign, played a tiny bit of endgame stuff and bounced off it pretty hard, but was expecting to come back after some extras had been released.

Has anything extra been released? It feels like forever ago I played through this, to the point it sort of feels like, why would they release anything extra now? Surely everyone stopped playing already? How is what's in the game supposed to sustain a player base, I don't get it?

And yeah, the fact that the first release is Hawkeye and Hawkeye is loving bizarre. All I can imagine is they thought they could reuse code? I think if they just sold it as Clint Barton, (the missing MCU og avenger), and then Kate Bishop was a surprise bonus that they hadn't mentioned and she was actually totally different, it would feel a lot better. I suppose it's just optics.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
It felt to me (especially seeing the credits at the start) that it's a case of too many cooks. The game isn't really a single player, or a GAAS game, it doesn't really have an in game currency, it isn't really multiplayer, it's just sort of some of all of those things. I'm not surprised it's not any one of them done well.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Invalid Validation posted:

Well for one thing Fortnite isn’t a Marvel game and secondly Epic has more money than god.

Also all the best comic writers have that kinda bad-boy vibe where they treat it like they hate the comic but love the characters, y'know, and try and shake poo poo up. Epix can kinda take that attitude, whereas marvel themselves are kinda precious with their baby.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
If this had come out in the PS2 era, it wouldn't have had any multiplayer components. Instead, after you finished it the first time you'd unlock Doctor Strange, Hawkeye, Mariah Hill and Punisher. The second time you finished it you'd unlock Black Bolt as a playable character who only really had one, slow, but utterly annihilating attack. And if you finished it without ever taking any damage you'd unlock Tony Hawk. There would be collectable secrets to hunt down in every level that were cleverly hidden, and getting them all would unlock MODOK in his final form and it would be my favourite game ever.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's such a weird business model. Like, I would pay some money for DLC that offers some unique story missions to play through with a new character. But there's no motivation to keep playing beyond that so I'm not going to be spending money on cosmetics (not that I would anyway, but still).

If it wasn't for this thread, I literally wouldn't know that this was anything other than a single player campaign game with dark souls multiplayer elements, with free DLC in the pipeline.

Which, y'know, is fine for the 40 quid I spent on it.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
The fact that either of the first two extra characters is Hawkeye is loving mad to me, why did they think Hawkeye would sell units?

The fact that they're both Hawkeye is like some omega-level troll that makes me giggle a bit every time I remember it because of how stupid it is.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Hah, I just moved house, can't get a wired connection to the same room as the TV. I thought, "Well, I wanted to get a PS5 anyway" and so pulled the trigger on one, thinking y'know, with WiFi it would all be cool and good.

HOWEVER...

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Hugoon Chavez posted:

What's wrong with me that even after reading this thread I still want to get the game? I haven't done due to a bunch of extra expenses and the remote possibility it hits ps plus soon.

Honestly this thread is down on it, and rightly so, but if it was only the single player campaign, and no promises of anything else to come after, it wouldn't have NEARLY as much bad blood going on. Or, I don't think so. I really enjoyed the single player game, I went to play some of the post-game multiplayer stuff and bounced off it, but didn't really think much about it, and was just looking forward to other characters coming out in the future. I came to this thread to see what the skinny was with new characters, and was like "OHHHH It's a car crash, I see!"

I really never would have known just how much of a mess it is, tbh.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m pretty sure the Marvel Heroes thread is more active than this one.

That game has been dead for three and a half years.

PLAYABLE MODOK WHEN

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

OxMan posted:

People seem to still be somewhat lukewarm on Outriders, it's been the worst release out of the last 12 months for me. Forced multiplayer if you want to play on anything other than babby difficulty and get any use out of AOE abilities, but the multiplayer didnt work for 2 weeks, then it worked but it was bugged to poo poo, then the community made it so that you wouldn't even want to try PUG games.

I never even considered a refund on marvel, or even cyberpunk, but outriders is still unplayable to me.

For me the demo of Outriders was suuuuper helpful, because seeing that whole "Forced multiplayer if you want to play on anything other than babby difficulty" thing in action really crystalized that I wouldn't enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Deakul posted:

Yeah but they're bringing us the Cloning Labs so that we can fight MODOK and Abomination

again

It will forever piss me off that this didn't come out in the PlayStation 2 era, so there's no cheat code to play as MODOK. It's like, the best incarnation of him ever, too.