Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I'm sure this has been discussed to death, but as someone relatively new here I have to ask: Does anyone know what the gently caress was up with Lunar Odin? Like, who they could have possibly had locked in a tower in order to summon that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Yeah, like, as far as we have been actually shown, the Lunar Primals work because their followers are being tortured by the towers into these hosed-up summonings. The Amal'jaa are forced by the tower into summoning their own god, you couldn't make them summon Lunar Ramuh or the like.

So, who's being tortured in a tower to summon Odin? Because a Primal summon requires Faith, and you can't torture Faith into someone. I totally believe that Lunar Odin is the Rider/Horse and not the Sword, but that doesn't explain how it was summoned in the first place.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

There is nothing worth telling though. How many people actually know the actual story behind Zantetsuken? The WoL and Krile?

The every day people of the Shroud they have locked down for summoning purposes don't know. And it doesn't matter. Lunar Odin is like the least interesting thing about the towers.

This still runs into the issue of Faith though. If you lock up ordinary citizens of the Shroud, they're more likely to summon some kind of Lunar Elemental before Odin, because they don't have faith in Odin (it's specifically pointed out in the questline for the Odin Trial that he has no followers). For Lunar Odin to work, they'd have to have people who specifically have faith in Odin. And if you say that it doesn't matter who they lock up, they can make anyone summon anything, then what point is there in having each Beast Tribe summon their own gods rather than just mass kidnapping regular citizens of every nation to make them pump out whatever Primals they want?

"Every day people of the shroud locked down for summoning purposes" does not work as a catalyst for Odin.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
The other issue I have with that idea is that, unless I missed or forgot it, regular citizens aren't being kidnapped for Towers, we've only heard of Beast Tribe kidnappings. If enough people were disappearing from The Shroud to facilitate such an effort in the way we've heard of for Beast Tribe kidnappings, I'd think it would have been a much bigger deal.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I always felt it was implied that being part Ascian is why Varis and Zenos were such absolute units.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Pigbuster posted:

What makes Sephiroth interesting to me is that in a way he’s a deconstruction of the megalomaniacal villain trope; he gets his big call to villainy but then, before he can really get started, he gets unexpectedly killed by a total nobody. And sure, his alien mom keeps puppeting his reincarnated body around after that but it’s the trauma he left on Cloud that drives the emotional story beats. Cloud is what makes Sephiroth work.

Don't forget that Sephiroth spends the rest of the story (and Advent Children) being extremely Not Mad about Cloud killing him. Very, very, Not Mad, promise.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Gearhead posted:

An actual Scion death feels like a free space on the bingo card.

The wildest thing I've seen someone speculate is the WoL dying and returning at some point down the road, free Fantasia optional.

There's zero chance this happens, but also, I'd really love for this to happen. Actually legitimately kill us and make us play a new character. I love my WoL, but god if this wouldn't be the ballsiest possible storytelling move.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Bruceski posted:

We show up looking the same but with no memory ten years later, people recognize us but we've got nothing.

Obviously a very differently structured MMO, but didn't PSO2 have your character in a stasis pod for years between two of its episodes?

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Xad posted:

that's past urianger, quests are always locked in a time bubble so it doesn't matter if you do them out of order

Yeah, can't you still go get ARR Extremes from him even if he's currently on The First? Not to mention doing Coils anytime post-ARR.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Where does this Soul talk line up with Alpha? If I recall correctly, he was just a soulless entity for most of the Omega storyline, but had developed a soul of his own by the end, without any sort of outward interference.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

Nero's gonna found Scaevan Steelworks as a competitor of Garland Ironworks.

It didn't hit me until reading this post just what the Scaevan Magitek gear is supposed to be. :monocle:

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Do we know how long Xande 2 was in power before the calamity? I always assumed it was a relatively short time between the start (restart?) of his reign and his dealings with Voidsent, since he came out of the cloning pod already on his death-obsessed bullshit.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

Personally I think the theory that Ericthonius becomes the Watcher (or the Watcher is based on him) has a lot of merit. After all, if the things he's good at are binding magic then he's a great choice for maintaining the bindings on Zodiark. Plus it becomes a bit sad/ironic that he's having to keep Themis (who is definitely the Elidibus who becomes the Heart of Zodiark) bound/under control.

By your own logic in this very post:

Lord_Magmar posted:

I'm trying to say that given the way the raids are written, they're not going to have any giant plotpoint after the end of the raid I don't think. Usually they're self-contained stories that wrap up semi-neatly.

This can't be the case, because we have so little information on The Watcher other than "He was a friend of Venat's before The Sundering" that even if Eric does become The Watcher, it won't be for aaaaaaages after this raid series. Him becoming The Watcher in the future has exactly the same narrative weight as him becoming Lahabrea in the future, by your logic, and I think it's weird that you dismiss one while giving the other "a lot of merit."

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I'll also be surprised if the Scions as a whole are back on the center stage by the start of 7.0. Like, that whole long goodbye will feel pretty hollow if it only lasts a few patches, especially the dramatic public breakup of the organization. Like, I'm fine with them popping up individually, one or two of them joining us for an adventure, but the whole last sequence of 6.0 would be completely undercut by a sudden and full return to form so quickly.

To lend some metanarrative weight to my point, Yoshi-P made a point of calling us "Adventurers" over "Warriors of Light," and I believe that if the idea is for a fresh start and a break from being The Warrior of Light, that requires a strict break from the Scions as a group as well. Our role as the Warrior of Light is inextricably tied to our role as a Scion, to the point that it's the main method but which most of them use to refer to us in voiced scenes. If we're going back to being Adventurers, we can't remain constantly and continually surrounded by characters who will constantly refer to us as Warriors of Light.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Nessus posted:

Considering that apparently what, 75%? of the planet's souls or whatever were wrapped up in Zodiark, plus a certain skim off the top that went to the Death Egg Zone, it seems like even if we burned off a fraction we'd still be coming out ahead on the bargain.

Life and natural processes seems to channel and generate aether on its own anyway, or at least the Ancients apparently did?

I've actually been wondering about this. With three-quarters of the Ancient population suddenly falling into the Lifestream, presumably to rejoin the cycle of reincarnation, are we going to start seeing some intensely Aether-dense people being born in the next few generations? Like, full ancient souls being reincarnated into regular Source-inhabitant bodies?

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Yeah, it's the soul that determines aether reserves, not the body. So whenever those Ancient souls start reincarnating, things are gonna get...weird.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Yeah, I can't imagine 8/14ths of Hythlodaeus would be able to use creation magic, which is what leads me to believe that full Ancient souls were released.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
It's 1/14 as a baseline, plus seven rejoinings to make 8/14, then +1 Ardbert makes WoL 9/14, right?

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Nessus posted:

I believe it happens to everyone who lives through a Calamity, although that usually isn't a ton of people for obvious, Calamity-related reasons. Most residents of the Source are 7/14, we and G'raha are 8/14 due to freak circumstances.

Did one of the rejoinings not count? Like, unless we're not counting the Source as 1 for some reason, we should be at 8 after seven Calamities, plus an extra 1 for WoL and G'raha.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Cleretic posted:

I still want to find out if the entire world uses the Astral/Umbral Era system of dating.

...especially if it turns out Dalmasca's looking at Eorzea and going 'oh, yeah, the Garleans dropping a dragon on you that ran amok for about ten minutes must've been HORRIBLE, definitely worth calling it an earth-shaking Calamity and resetting the calendar, by the way have you seen the Bozjan capital?'

I may be misremembering, but I think it is confirmed in one of the Lore Books that each major part of the world uses its own dating system. the Astral/Umbral era is specifically an Eorzean Scholar calendar/school of thought.

I could be completely misremembering that, though.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
My WoL is a Qerel Dark Knight. Anyone who's played that and Warrior can probably make a pretty close guess of where the headcanons lie there, it's nothing too wild.

I really wish the Steppe gave more than like, two lines of dialogue acknowledging you as a Xaela, but I suppose that can't be helped.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Edmund Lava posted:

I though it was cannon that we were at the Battle of Carteneau. Or does that only apply to 1.0 characters? I seem to remember it being mentioned by the Scions early on, but I could be mistaken.

As far as I know, 1.0 is only canon for 1.0 characters. They get the special intro cutscene and the special post-Praetorium cutscene and everything. Non-1.0 characters have never been in Eorzea whatsoever before arriving in the opening cutscene with the twins.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

FuturePastNow posted:

Ysayle also had the same superpower as the WoL (or one of the same superpowers). Maybe you had to be a hear feel thinker to get fine control over that stuff.

This is my new favorite term for those with the Echo and I look forward to using it exclusively.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Rhonne posted:

I know it wouldn't make sense and would go against the point of the Coils story, but I was a little sad Louisoux/Phoenix didn't pop up in the "ALL THE PRIMALS ARE HERE" sequence.

Like, I wanted a little shot of Fourchenault quietly praying to himself, asking his father to look after his kids, and then Phoenix just explodes fourth, flying through the sky and into the ship while everyone is confused about where that primal came from.

On that note, I can't be the only one who thought they were going to call the ship Louisoix when Fourchenault started making his speech, right?

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Yeah, I feel like as much as they've focused on this being an end to the Hydaelyn/Zodiark saga, it's also sort of an end to the Primals as we know them. No longer are they some impossible obstacle that only the Warrior of Light (and seven conveniently-on-hand Echo Users) can defeat, they're something any sufficiently powerful warrior can do battle with if they're summoned with malicious purpose...and the befriending of all the Eastern and Western Beast Tribes seems to have put us on the path such that aggressive summonings are likely to be far, far less frequent than they were before. Not only is our title of "Warrior of Light" going to be less important going forward, even our status as "Eikon Slayer" isn't going to be as unique or important anymore.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I'm finally going through the Allied Beast Tribe Quests, and while I'm not a fan of seeing this rear end in a top hat catboy in his banana hammock every expansion

Holy poo poo, the Vath Deftarm is my boy and I nominate him for the seat of Azem. Making that shot on the Manacutter at the end of the HW Allied questline got me popping off as big as any of the major story moments so far.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Alxprit posted:

Vath should be playable. I mean, they're literally Adventurers!

I always thought your icon was fun, but only now do I properly appreciate it.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Valentin posted:

picking up from something currently being discussed in the heavensward LP, I wonder if 7.0 will try to carry forward Endwalker's achievement of giving in-fiction reasons for you to have a party for each trial and dungeon. Granted, those reasons are "Scions" and "+2 Gem of Duty Finder," so not exactly shockingly artful or anything. But it's a neat change from the previous expansions' hand-waving. I'm especially curious if theyre considering expanding trusts for trials or if that was a one off for hydaelyn.

The use of Azem's crystal really was something I really appreciated about Endwalker. Like, I'm the very specific type of nerd that super appreciated a diagetic, in-lore reason for a full party every time, and even if they change it to be something else, I really hope they continue to do so.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

FuturePastNow posted:

I wonder if FandanAmon ever realized our crystal catboy friend is technically the rightful heir to Allagan royalty. Does he say anything if you take G'raha into the dungeon?

On this note, in 5.4 G'raha reiterates that his Allagan Blood Power is going to fade away eventually, according to Unei and Doga. While I assume his Bad Future body bonding to the tower indefinitely extended that, I do wonder if at some point they're going to revert him back to heterochromia, or even just take away both red eyes.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

PlasticAutomaton posted:

I still love that Azem is spoken of as some kind of natural disaster that sweeps everyone along with them.

Vash the Stampede of the Unsundered World.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Venat is gone for good and doesn't get to reincarnate like Emet and Hythlodaeus, because Hydaelyn burned out her soul. Interesting.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Directly addressing the Venat discourse: She did the Sundering because she truly believed the Ancients would never be able to defeat Meteion as they were, they were not capable of changing their ways, so she sundered them so they could become Dynamis-capable. Also, the Plenty was the Devs showing "This is where the Ancients could have ended up," direct comparison was intended.

Edit: Also, an interesting angle that I don't think I've seen anyone bring up the many times the debate has kicked in: Venat was an Ancient herself, and her decision-making process was just as flawed as theirs, even if she came to a different conclusion.

DanielCross fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 19, 2022

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Argas posted:

I'm also not fond of the idea of souls dictating that much. It's kind of handwringy but it takes a bit of free will away from you. Why are you the way you are? Oh it's because of your soul that's why. There's no way of knowing whether you made a decision because you chose to or "because" of your soul nudging you in a certain direction. Did I become an adventurer because I wanted to or because it's in Azem's nature? etc.

I dunno, for me personally, I don't feel like that's really an important factor. Like, I enjoy adventuring. Does it matter whether I developed that love on my own or whether I love it because past-me loved it? Loving it because past-me loved it doesn't make my current love of it any less real. I don't "fake" love adventuring just because I didn't develop the love entirely of my own accord, I don't suddenly enjoy it less because of that. It feels silly to me to think a personality trait or interest is like, wrong or something, just because it came from some intrinsic nature of your soul rather than developing "naturally."

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's not. It's like needing an even more detailed explanation in universe of why Viera have rabbit ears. They have then because that's how we've defined what viera are in this setting. Not everything in a setting needs to tie together and be defined by one another. Some thigns are what they are by narrative declaration. And that's fine.

You say this, but I recall in the recent Live Letter people were literally asking why Miqo'te have cat ears when the Unsundered did not. People apparently care about this sort of thing (even if I agree with you in thinking that it's not that important to worry about).

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
One has to wonder how many times Fandaniel has tried this before, because he kicked off this plan well before Elidibus died and his 5.3 scene sure sounded like he was half expecting Dad to come home and tell him to knock it the gently caress off any minute.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
No live TL for this LL?

Edit: gently caress that Key Art is good!

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Cleretic posted:

Stop everything, they're adding an in-game glossary, that's prime 'didn't think to ask for this but it's all I wanted'.

Except, it unlocks as part of the 6.1 MSQ, so it's totally walled off to the players who need it most (the Sprouts)

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Cleretic posted:

A fun potential reading of Alexander's soundtrack is that it reflects that Alexander and the Illuminati don't actually agree or co-operate, except about Brute Justice. For whatever reason, that exact fight is the one time where Alexander music (specifically, Locus' chorus) works with one of the Illuminati's themes.

I think everyone can agree, no matter our morals or life goals, that Sentai Robots are cool as hell.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Hythlodaeus' agenda is bullying Emet-Selch into being a functioning member of society. :v:

It's the duty of every extrovert with an introvert boyfriend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
https://twitter.com/trustinsighters/status/1505883549181923332?t=N6L2ojkp1bkEoRnM_03LVg&s=19