Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nigmaetcetera posted:

What are some hosed up fantasy* novels? I want to read some hosed up fantasy* novels.

*or science fiction

Swanwick's The Iron Dragon's Daughter is super weird and hosed up and also quite good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
every time i see that pic of Terry Goodkind (you know the one) i lmao

what a turbo dork

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Terry Goodkind seems almost as badass as Steven Seagal

"hey bozo. why don't you write a book about kicking someone's face off. cause i can do that. i can kick your face off. now do the dishes, terry. respect the chore wheel."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
weis and hickman did eventually write decent books at least. Death's Gate is a really cool series with a lot of ~subversion~ and Rose of the Prophet had both gay and female protagonists in a middle eastern fantasy setting. it's probably really awful but 13 year old me liked it anyway

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rebel Blob posted:

What kind of author doesn't have their hero maim a ten-year old?

i almost clicked away before actually reading this

:wtc: is wrong with him haha

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

sassassin posted:

There is nothing wrong with assaulting royals. Better to start at the top but we shouldn't be picky.

which final fantasy game is this a quote from haha

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Moon Monster posted:

Aren't the full titles of the Dragonlance books Dragonlance: Dragons of the [season] [thing] though?

dragons of the lunchtime rush

dragons of the hybrid prius

dragons of the grande latte

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

that seems like an extremely roundabout way to torture someone

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Caesar Saladin posted:

I read Lord of Light and found it to be one of the most awesomely creative sci fi books I've read. What else of his is good?

he has a short story called Today We Choose Faces that is one of my favorites of all time. it's sometimes printed with Bridge of Ashes which is another amazing novella of his

edit: the novels he co wrote with Philip K Dick are also real good

i've never read a bad Zelazny

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What you have to understand about Wheel of Time is that Jordan has a real knack for writing hundreds of pages in which literally, actually nothing happens. I know it's like "wow, the books were a thousand pages each, even if they're all filler there must be so many events!" and it's like... no, there aren't. Books 7 and 10 come dangerously close to having literally only a couple things in them

There's a lot of redundant talking about stuff and arguing

NB: i like the WoT books

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

exposure at an impressionable age

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I legit don't think Zelazny books have any weird sex stuff in them. I think he was just Regular Horny.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Killingyouguy! posted:

Is zelazny the amber guy? I remember reading the first one of those and thinking all the women were exceptionally flat and lifeless but it was a long time ago

there's actually a reason that most characters in Amber are "flat", it's not just the women

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
(that said, he WAS a golden age sci fi writer so his stuff does skew a bit towards "cool guys and the girls that swoon after them", i just don't think it's nearly as much a problem as in his peers' work)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Random Stranger posted:

In Amber, a little person did gently caress a unicorn, but it mainly came up as a "how does that work?" take on weird foundational myths rather than strange kink.

Zelazny was New Wave which is about twenty to thirty years after gold age sf.

ah right. I tend to lump all pre-90s sci fi into one big pile, and forget that the guys in the 50s were even worse

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
its all just tolklien and D&D

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i'm sorry but dipping french fries into a vanilla frosty is just too weird even for this thread

in fact vanilla frostys, in general, suck and should be avoided or destroyed

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i re-read ElfQuest recently and while the original quest holds up and was even better than i remember, holy mother of pearl everything after it is so much worse than i remembered

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Stealthgerbil posted:

I think I have a bunch of dragonlance and D&D books like the Drizzt series somewhere. Also some demon gem war saga that RA Salvatore wrote. I was a pretty big fan of his as a teenager and young adult. Probably made me a worse person in the end.

the icewind dale books are boring but totally inoffensive. very much like a description of an RPG.

i think i read only the first two Drizzt trilogies and i vaguely remember some weird kinky stuff about witch orgies or something and that Drizzt was super boring

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
like, i'm pretty sure Drizzt had this arch nemesis across many many books named Artemis, and literally the only thing about him was "he does swords good, like Drizzt".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kharnifex posted:

Drizzt died to some adventurers who locked him in a house full of skeletons and acid fog in Balders Gate.

i looked up the way he actually dies and it's even lamer than this

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Runcible Cat posted:

LitRPG. It's as soul-destroying as it sounds.

I've heard the whispers of this for many moons, but have not yet tasted its foul miasma

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

So what is the Bad Fantasy of today? Is it all those formulaic YA trilogies? I feel like the bad fantasy of my childhood (I am 35) was more for a male audience and now it's more for a female audience. Do I have any facts to back this up? Absolutely not.

i think there's still a ton of the same kind of stuff being written, only with slightly updated references or more "subversion"

it's a genre that's so deeply entrenched and codified.. it's basically the religion of a lot of people

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

feedmegin posted:

Red Ajah were the man haters, Green Ajah loved the bouncy bouncy with men and had harems, iirc.

yes, correct

Red Ajah is rawr men suck, i have PMS literally nonstop
Green is i am an ethically polyamorous vegan crystal witch, swipe right if you're a unicorn :wink:
Yellow is Healer Class
uh... Blue is like... Ravenclaw? Maybe?
i think there's a White Ajah?
Black is obviously Bad Girls Club

i think that's all of them....

oh wait no there's also Brown, which is I Am Boring

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
robert jordan had a deep and comprehensve grasp on the full specrum of women, truly

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
everyone in the wheel of time books under the age of 40 is an enormous dumbass, and everyone over 40 is cool and awesome and never wrong, regardless of gender

im pretty sure this holds up, even among the villains

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kchama posted:

It doesn't help that it feels like there was a lot of retconning of ages as the books went on. Like I wonder if a lot more time was suppose in the series, rather than everything happening in less than a year. Like the prophecy that was in the... first book perhaps? It's been a while... of Rand getting a harem of hot women and them all having his babies probably seemed fine when it was going to happen years later, even if Rand at the time was presented as being a dumb young kid, but something had to be changed when Jordan realized there wasn't going to be a time skip. Since none of the main characters read like they are in their early to late twenties in the books.

oh for sure. like you can tell that the original plan was somehow that Rand would be like 50 years old at the end

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i like how wheel of time has at least three Gandalfs, and one of them is "what if Gandalf was sassy"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i saw some youtube commercial that was just brandon sanderson talking, and you know, i gave the man time, but after 2 literal minutes he still hadn't got to the fuckin point so i clicked skip

he just kept saying "i wrote a SECRET book" then "i wrote ANOTHER secret book" and again but he didn't give ANY indication of why i should give a gently caress or what they concerned or ANYTHING lmao

it was a very bad commercial. if i give you 2 minutes you should be giving me some info

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i am a bad writer myself, so i have some insight into publishing

like, there are reasons to dislike amazon's grasp on the market and yadda yadda, but Sanderson has enough money for that to not matter.

he's either doing it because he's greedy (somewhat unlikely, i mean, he's successful enough to be popular)

he's doing it because he couldn't find a publisher for his stuff (unlikely, since he's established. it is possible they didn't want to publish as quickly as he wanted or something i guess)

or he's doing it because he just wants to and he thought it would be cool to let the fans just give him money directly. that's fine too

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Eye of Cat owns

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Atopian posted:

Read Zelazny for the prose (and the everything, tbh).
Read China Mieville for the ideas and world.
Read Mary Gentle for... well, for a couple of her books, because when she's good she's very good. Ash, for example.

read Dick for the drugs

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

Dick's epitaph at the end of A Scanner Darkly is beautiful

that one line always haunts me

"we were just kids playing, and we got punished for it" or whatever. speed is a hell of a drug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the lion is a jesus