Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Ive been playing this for a week or so and am a level 70ish doing elite runs. Which leads me to my question: how do you deal with Elite Monks? The AE "gently caress-you" area is huge, and they seemingly heal to full everytime they teleport? Took down a group of 4 of us after we plinked it for 5 minutes and just gave up because we weren't making a dent in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

That would explain things. We were on 3/4 people at that point and everytime we'd make a dent someone would get hit with the ae because it was a terrible location, and probably didnt have enough DPS left over to burn him down.

While I'm asking stupid questions: are there tricks to doing the boulder parkours stuff in the desert? I can manage the tomb ones fine but the desert ones always result in me getting myself crushed unless I have triple dash or dash cooldown reduction. The ones with triple boulders and multiple patterns especially really get me.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

TIL there's more than one chest in boulder parkours

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Deft Hands does that too, free ammo for 2 seconds after a kill and the Aura's altfire just goes haywire. It's great.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Anyone have any tips for making it past nightmare more consistently?

I have a decent grasp on most heroes but most success with Tao, especially the bloom based builds. I can't get bird to work for me at all but he's supposedly real tanky? FWIW I have maxed the hero talents but not all of the generic talents

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Evil Kit posted:

If you have a chance list which generic talents you haven't gotten yet, some can help a lot more than you'd expect.

I usually duo with a buddy so I went in early on some of the rez/defensive talents

Got real lucky yesterday with a Tiger Cannon and a bunch of "+dmg when low ammo in mag" ascensions/scrolls to top with Dog's explosion buffs, a lot of fun oneshotting enemies with a thrown Concealed Ammo, Borderlands style

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

We've since made it to the end of reincarnation I, but not having those talents filled out really does start to hurt by that point :v:. What are the big wins to get?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

The deafening mortar is a lot of fun on Dog. The close up blast is a "murder everything somewhat in front of me" button and the artillery option is a ton of fun if you get the right rolls

https://i.imgur.com/qSrum0i.mp4

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

That final boss dps check is stupid. You've already defeated the boss so clearly youve got a good enough team but oops you were 0.5 seconds too slow dpsing the final phase so you fail the game. We've cleared R7 twice now and both times defeated the boss but still failed the run, it's kind of a kick in the balls.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Completed R8 in a 4 player coop with randoms as Dog (love dat mortar) and even got by the stupid DPS check, beat the game I guess?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Had an R8 game as snipercat where I got this thing:

Alongside a final judgment scroll, there was very little even in R8 it wouldn't one-hit-kill

https://i.imgur.com/UlXzWv5.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/e9FALpk.mp4

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

That immunity on death modifier in R8 really really sucked when you get it in the Fjord map, a billion invulnerable lanterns. Especially since you cant really see which monsters were "dead" and which were still alive outside of actually shooting them.

And Innumerable elites is just a massive grind, we had it on that bridge section on Fjord yesterday which is like the most annoying place to get multiple elite monks and those fish warriors. I'm glad they added more rewards for beating that slog

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm at this point now too and it kind of sucks - the main thing that's hitting me is that (as someone who plays in 4 player public games) Rebirth 8 is an awful, awful and unfun difficulty where you spend full minutes emptying clips into enemies' heads, but when matchmaking for Reincarnation you cannot select what level you get - you get randomly queued with any Reincarnation level game and almost everyone just plays R8. This has flatlined my will/ability to play this game ever since I beat R8. I don't want to play below Reincarnation because you don't get the build-defining Phantom skills, but I don't want to play R8 and I can't choose not to. So I keep booting the game up, checking Reincarnation matchmaking and not playing when it's R7/R8. I've only played one run since I beat R8 :smith:
If you want a steam bud, I duo with a buddy and we matchmake until we get 2 pubbies, neither of us are pros but we've got a pretty good winrate on R8 now. I'm not gonna say our runs are pretty (20 - 40 downs each by the end of the game is not uncommon, some of those early tombs rooms can be real fuckers), but it's definitely easier if you get a decent group that shares scrolls and weapons smartly. Often you'll just get one bro who gets all the scrolls, outpaces everyone and is left with anemic teammates when they inevitably get cocky and go down.

In my experience R8 is all about exploiting elemental fusions, miasma to crowd control enemies especially. Enemies shooting eachother ain't shootin you, and with those curving-bullet-crossbow assholes in act1 , that's a real blessing. Elemental cat can do it easily with basically any lightning weapon and if you get a good thunderclap glove and some grenade or element dmg upgrade you have a much easier time; rolling with ascensions and picking good synergies becomes a lot more important.

The only real fuckers I've seen in R8 are Elite Spearmen in act 1, they've never not been complete slogs to fight and are often a breakpoint for a group I've found.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

My steamid: https://steamcommunity.com/id/fishstick/

Like I said i'm no pro and I just roll with what seems like good builds but just from duoing coop with pubbies if you can make it through act 1 you're usually set unless someone is lagging way behind. The tiny rooms and lots of traps coupled with crossbow gunners and nasty vault surprises with Elite Spearmen weeds out bad groups fast, and thats usually where we rack up most downs :v:. By act 2 people usually have most of their poo poo together and from then on even the health scaling can't help the enemies then and its the random challenges that can be tricky. That and the game going into " too many numbers!" mode and starts lagging out

I recorded these to show off some lag issues to someone but you can see even with 2 pubbies R8 can be pretty fun if you get a decent group, even with gimmick all cat crews
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RiD6bDTEKs

https://i.imgur.com/UlXzWv5.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/D99W2xo.mp4

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Lightning gloves specifically completely tear up groups because the elemental effect already spreads, so bunched up enemies hit eachother multiple times. Once you start stacking miasma and explosions and all that othr fun stuff on top of that, things skyrocket fast. Probably the easiest way to become OP as elemental cat

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Nov 30, 2021

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Pole monarch no longer being a hard fail if you miss the dps check is much better. The final rage phase is ridiculous so you definitely wanna kill him in that check, but at least it's not an autofail now.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Last time i played elemental cat as a sniper with a sweet piercing flame, last night I played sniper cat as an elemental wizard with a Sting loaded with Lucky Shot. Would recommend.

Lightning from the void (every crit does chain lightning) + Thunderbolt converter (+100% dmg and 40% LS on hit after chain lightning) + circuit (connect enemies to share 100% of dmg taken every chain lightning). The 3rd shot on sting was doing 800k+ damage on lucky shots and just obliterating groups in the frost stage

https://i.imgur.com/VFNGD6V.mp4

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Golden Goat posted:

I haven't maxed out the tree yet I'm about lv 126.

Maybe we should stick to elite for a bit then until we have more of the tree maxed out.

I went up in difficulty levels way before you're "supposed" to too, outside of the hero talents (definitely max those out ASAP for the hero you're playing) there's some must-gets that make it a lot easier on you. Being able to refresh the merchant, and the less elemental damage taken and the other survivability ones go a long way. Manipulation elemental fusion (shock + fire) is a massive help too, since enemies attacking eachother aren't attacking you.

Also I found the first stage to always be the hardest for me personally, cramped rooms, lots of traps, fucky elites (fu Elite Spearman when nobody has an acid weapon), and more crossbows than you can shake a stick at.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

I dont understand why they made some frames solo-only, like at least make it also able to get in solo, not only in solo.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Did a Lei Luo R8 run yesterday, starting with the Thunder & Glory Spiritual Blessing. Oh my god how have I never used this before?

Add some Fulminous Zap and some Thunder Nemesis and stuff just explodes even with a barely upgraded gun.

https://i.imgur.com/2IyaKF9.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/5Yvmj34.mp4

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

BrianRx posted:

Finally made it past nightmare then hit R2 in a couple runs. Everyone who said that Reincarnation is easier/better than Nightmare was right. Nightmare is almost like a gate to the "real" game with the blessings and enhanced weapons.

I blew through R1 with Dog and the mortar I picked up out of the first crate. Does the combination of Flesh and Bones and Airbag make you invincible? I took a few hits from the last boss and my health didn't drop at all. I had the scroll that absorbs five hits at full charge, but I'm pretty sure I exceeded that between the leap attack and the bullet hell orbs since I didn't have many mobility buffs and Dog with a mortar is really slow.

Flesh and Bones is just super good on dog, since it synergizes well with his stuff. Between fire enthusiast and some +%hp after kill ascensions he can get real beefy

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

The extra explosive damage scroll no longer being limited to non-elemental weapons is such a great buff for explosiondog. Did a double Tiger Cannon build yesterday and was a lot of fun.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

R8 is mostly a gently caress you on the first level. I fuckin hate those crossbow guys, shooting through enemies in narrow areas filled with traps and explosion effects from the half dozen grenadiers.

Still the most fun difficulty though, some of the blessing builds can get ridiculous.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Evil Kit posted:

drat, looks like that's a fox. I thought it was a squirrel at first glance and was gonna applaud them for some surprising creativity. They look like fun at least, if the dlc is only like 5 or 10$ I'll probably drop the money for it and take them through Reincarnation a bunch of times.

Its a fire fox

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Replaying some more R8 to un-rust before DLC release I really, really hope the DLC doesnt contain a lot of those platform/boulder levels. They are absolutely awful to play with any kind of lag and for me at least completely kill the pacing when you have to sit there trying to make jumps with your +400% movement speed. I just straight up nope out of the acid/fire jumping one in the Desert, its not worth the frustration.

The recent updates to miasma / explosion and the new mutators are fun though!

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Anyone tried this new mode yet? It sounds interesting but i'm only half-understanding a lot of their descriptions

New Game Mode (Available in Reincarnation)
In this update, a new game mode is added into the game – Bizarre Dream. In Bizarre Dream, you can have various game experiences by enabling different game options. There are 2 options for now:
Spiritual Link: Affected by the Spiritual Aura, Occult Scrolls, Weapons and Ascensions will offer additional buffs in a specific combination.
Mysterious Jokul: In this mode, the Hyperborean Jokul is more dangerous. To confront the rigorous challenge ahead, all Peddlers and Phantom Peddlers are well-stocked, and you can refresh once for free. Spiritual Remnant in Jokul is awake as well. You can exchange the Spirit Blessing once.

Only making stage 4 harder seems weird?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Finally my dreams of a dual throwing dagger dog build will come without rapid onset of RSI

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Evil Kit posted:

The new modes are something new at least, they seem designed to spice up Reincarnation even more which is great.

Got to play both characters in a few runs, they're both :discourse:. Monkey surprised me the most, instead of full on primary or secondary build I maxed out Concentrated Essence and had a Deafening Mortar that got up to level 40+ from the extra temporary weapon levels. Was just playing on Nightmare too to help a friend get the Reincarnation unlock, I just melted everything by the end (dual edge helped).

Launcher weapon types seem MVP for monkey when clearing trash, but when duoing we had a terrible time (on R8) trying to down some Armored Robust guy that literally took 5 minutes to get 25% of his armor gone despite both of us having corrosive weapons and otherwise just blazng thru enemies. Havent gotten to try Fox yet but monkey definitely seems like a very technical build in how many ways you can build up synergies

Also the shield rifle is very satisfying to use

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Turin Turambar posted:

There is a fair bit of stuff that needs the nerf bat on the DLC. The monkey gaining 20 extra weapon levels, the fox two-shotting bosses with skills, the hexagon seems ridiculous too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz2L9LQmXHg

Having used the hexagon just now, yes, yes it is. Turns the most annoying enemy into a super saiyan boost https://i.imgur.com/ENO0x9f.mp4

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Fox is kind of ridiculous.

Even on R8 any vaguely E-focused build just deletes everything except the most shielded of goobers, and the spiritual blessing that gives 450% damage also conveniently constantly recharges your energy while walking, which synergizes super good with her max shield and energy change talents.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Got screwed out of a run by an instant game ender for no reason, it seems? I had record running and it transitions to game over while I have full health

https://i.imgur.com/03WiinM.mp4

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Fox is just not fun to play with friends because you can pretty much pick any ascensions at random and you'll still delete entire levels without having to use your gun, leaving your coop buddies standing around doing nothing. Its not fun for anyone even on R8.

I do really like the new spiritual link stuff though, getting elemental conversion on non-elemental weapons for dudes like Prince is pretty sweet.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Yeah these spiritual links are a neat change. Had one on dog yesterday that added 100 magazine capacity to any launcher. Dualwielding 2 mortars on an explosion build with no reloads ever is pretty fun

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Runa posted:

Crown Prince may not be the most exciting character but he can make himself omnielemental with the third level of his Corrosion ascension and the right elemental share Gemini loadout. Beyond that beating pole bear is really just a matter of picking up the right stuff up as you went along, which really any character can do.

One of the spiritual links Crown Prince gets is absolutely insane if you can get RNG to cooperate:

Not only does this freeze enemies for 2 seconds every time you smokebomb them, it also triggers on the corrosion explosion caused by maxed Acidominance (Corrosion Cloud everytime you crit hit). Meaning every target you crit hit, every 3 seconds get frozen for 2 seconds. Oh, and the duration scales off energy orb chain duration, too.

John Murdoch posted:

:shrug: I can blow through the first three stages without much difficulty at this point, give or take the occasional hiccup. I tend to need to slow down a bit in Jokul, usually because of UFOs or other bad layouts turning things into a bit more of a siege, but it's otherwise NBD when I'm not pinned down. But I simply cannot seem to bring enough raw DPS to the table as Prince. Outside of Energy Blade shenanigans infinite orbs are meaningless (and suck rear end in the rest of the fight as well :/ ) and smoke grenades even when built well don't magically solve the race on their own. I've made it there with plenty of decent, if maybe not S-tier, +10 weapons, geminis that should work well, etc. but when I say it comes off as mathematically impossible I mean it.

The only two things I can think of are that I'm somehow falling outside of optimal weapon ranges without realizing it and it's massively cutting my damage (but it's not like I'm trying to snipe him with a fire dragon) or my talents simply aren't at the point where my DPS can sufficiently explode out of control, which is pretty unsatisfying if it's the case.

Everytime I get stuck on the low damage end with Cat, the solution has been finding a good Thunderclap gloves. Extra damage on elemental, crit elemental ball, extra aoe range +50% dmg hit, spread elemental effect,... all of those inscriptions are great on it and it will deal with the masses of enemies in Jokul no problem in combination with corrosion damage.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Sep 19, 2022

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

DNK posted:

Does Monkey’s “use no ammo for the next 5 shots” thing work with Concealed Ammo’s throw?

I love the fact that Monkey gets to really abuse some of the (otherwise) worst primary weapons in the game. Like Wild Hunt is hot trash on basically everyone except Monkey. And Bone Dragon / Tiger Cannon are craaaazy when you never need to reload. I’ve never even considered ROF of Tiger Cannon to ever be a meaningful stat before.

It doesn't work with stuff like Deft Hands so I don't think so.

Monkey's weapon usage can get icnreasingly ridiculous with the Assaulter spirit blessing, where both weapon bonuses count at the same time. You can get a 100 magazine tiger cannon from Spirit Link, and then pair it with a shotgun, pistol, or rifle for +75% projectiles, +300% projectile speed, or +75% damage respectively.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Evil Kit posted:

I'm very much an anecdotal, feel it out kind of gamer. Try not to look up guides, test things out myself to get impressions, etc. Glad to hear there's some more crazy stuff you can do with Gemini now, guess I need to try some more stuff out. The siren call of ability builds though...

Guess I know what builds for Monkey I'm trying next. Bet you could do it with Bird too, though you would need to reload occasionally.

There's a spirit link that adds 100 magazine to any launcher that's apparently generic so you can get it on all classes, and it doesnt require much from RNG:

It effectively makes any launcher no-reload for all intents and purposes, its super fun on dog or monkey.

Also got this last night on a literally cursed run, which was a fun bonus:

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Had a great R8 run yesterday until we got to the last stage of Fjord and got Innumerable Elites with nothing but Healing Powerful Kappas.

It did not go well, or fast.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Pretty sure this Lei Luo Spiritual link is bugged, unless I'm not "getting" it:

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Wow that's extremely weird. That was from a game last night and I dont see any hotfixes since. WTF. At least now I know how to get it properly. I checked ingame just now and it says Voltaic Aegis now too.

Ah, found this appended to yesterday's patchnotes:

quote:

Bug Fix

Fixed an issue that some set requirements in Spiritual Link are displayed improperly.

Edit: I also really wisht hey would just add weapon type (Launcher / Injector / Rifle /etc) to description cards so I dont have to go to a wiki to find out this shotgun thing is actually a pistol or something.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Turin Turambar posted:

I suspect you had a bit of luck and beat Elite before you were supposed to, progression wise, so now the Nightmare difficulty seems very harsh (and like Noper said, the gap to Nightmare is in fact big, by itself). Just stay on Elite for a dozen runs more.

I think I had this exact problem starting out too and actually asked about it in the thread. We technically beat some difficulty modes easily but then ran into a wall on the next difficulty because we hadnt unlocked all the generic and hero ascensions yet. Some of those, especially the hero ascensions, make a huge difference.

John Murdoch posted:

Question of my own: Who do y'all think is the best choice for the Reincarnation with no blessings cheevo? I'm thinking Bird or Turtle on account of them usually being able to reach unkillability, but it still seems like it might take some added luck from the phantom peddler and getting good bosses.

Crown prince is very versatile so you can roll with what RNG blesses you with