Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

The North Tower posted:

Probably going to do the tutorial and then try to build the Habsburgs up from the single county (I think it’s single county in 1066) to master the micro parts of dynasty/house management and plant our inbred asses on several thrones.

However...
CK3 is adding the extant Bozo culture group in modern Mali, so Clown Empire, 2020.

I’m gonna miss the 936 start. You could play as an Etichonen and make a decision to form the house of Habsburg. One of the only ways in CK2 to switch dynasties legitimately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Whorelord posted:

you have brain worms

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
In my ongoing non-ironman game Byz was inherited by a Russian dynasty which eventually caused it to split in half in a pretty ugly way, the other half being K. of Epirus. Before it was inherited by Russians it had gone to the king of Georgia which was pretty cool and somewhat believable, until a non-matrilineal marriage forced the Russian thing.

Really hope the first expansion is Byz focused. Gimme all those minor titles again. Or some sort of co-emperor mechanic.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
How do you change the primary holding of a county in this game? For instance I fabricated on Reims before realizing it's a duchy capital county with a temple as the main holding.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
The Succession tab might not say why--and I doubt it ever will--but it'll at least motivate you to spread around your demesne before you die. I had an emperor of Francia give me the 1-year death notice (got the way of life achievement with this guy too), and I saw one of his sons the King of Sardinia was outside of the realm and slated to inherit my duchy of Anjou. I very carefully gave out all of my demesne--something like 7 or 8 counties and 2 duchies in Anjou and Neustria--so that he was finally knocked out of the succession tab entirely. For some reason he was always first in the list for split possessions. I ended up with my empire title, my one duchy title, and the single county of Anjou as my only personal possessions and died peacefully in my sleep less than 6 months later.

I think the intention is for it to be a gamble as to when you give away all your titles. Wait too long and the unorganized implosion happens, do it too quickly and you won't have any levies or income as you wait to die, but do it at just the right time and the borders will look exactly the way you want them to. Being a veteran ck2 player this was a pretty cool experience to have and I'm glad it's a long wait for Heraldry.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I just got the bug where my 86 year old dead character’s third wife had his child after he died but it was a bastard of the mother’s dynasty since he wasn’t alive anymore. I even got an event telling me it would happen before she was born.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Sucks I hafta wait a whole year for this Byz DLC. At least it better be byz.

Also you can’t declare war on a friend if the friend is your liege because you can’t join factions against a friend. But if they’re outside your realm it’s fair game.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

Alright, I'll give it another go. Any tips for a starting character? I always try Duchy of Flanders in these games for the memes/anachronistic patriotism, but it's literally never worked out

What are the first things you should do when starting a new game/getting a new ruler, besides getting marriages sorted?

Making sure your councilors like you and are also talented in the first place is something I like to do to start out.

If you’re starting relatively high tier, like king or emperor, you can marry your relatives to your vassals’ families to prevent them from joining factions. More of a CYA alliance than a military one when that happens.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

binge crotching posted:

There are two people who start with house seniority.

The Duke of Bohemia, who has Czech culture. Once the Czechs (or Slovakians) research their special cultural tech, any Czech/Slovakian ruler can use house seniority.

And what you ended up with, the secret cheat code of the Duke of Verona. It's tied to the title d_verona, but as of the 1.4 patch it's not inheritable by anyone else. Pre-1.4 it was possible to take your standard unreformed tribal viking, and conquer Verona, getting house seniority for any culture. It changed so now it starts with it, but if the title is usurped or destroyed it won't transfer. It's still possible to get an early house seniority by using inheritance shenanigans, but a lot more difficult.

What’s the historical reasoning for giving seniority to the Verona start?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Femtosecond posted:

That's disappointing and lame that mixing MaA is effectively less powerful than just maxing out all MaA slots with armored footsoldiers or better. Do we have a hope that Paradox will find a way to fix this or will they shrug since most casual players will likely never notice this?

While I wouldn’t consider myself casual I will still never do this. I like a little of each depending on the geography.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Trying to form the empire of Armenia starting in 867. It’s now 1130 and I have two problems:
1. K of Georgia is now huge (but weak) and split off generations ago, and if I don’t want to conquer it duchy by duchy, is my only option to get a pious character to buy a claim?
2. I’m wondering if there’s a way to rebel for independence without investing heavily in intrigue. In other words, getting strong hooks on fellow vassals—numerous as they are in Byz—is an exercise in waiting for nothing to happen.
I guess I could save money for decades for mercs and try to find a nice outside alliance and go it alone in rebelling, but I would want to make sure I have Georgia back first before I do that.

Finally, option 3 getting a claim on Byz through that stewardship perk, seems more likely to happen than the first two options. But if I take over, make my revocations and releases, won’t I still be stuck with the Byz title? For RP purposes I’d rather not destroy it, but I will if I have to. WWYD?

(All along the emperor being at government level 3 has also been annoying, but I haven’t had as much issue assassinating and re-ticking the war declaration privilege with the new liege.)

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
You actually can buy kingdom level titles with that learning perk! I did it for 1000 piety early on in the game after the first partition. I should’ve taken a screenshot of it, it was a nice hurricane swirl of the kingdoms of Georgia, Armenia, and Daylam.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

litany of gulps posted:

Edit: Do I keep playing? Do I quit? What even do I do with this game?

This sounds like a good game you should keep playing.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Femtosecond posted:

(There doesn't seem to be anywhere in the Title History UI that says anything around counties becoming independent or part of another realm. They should add this!)

If you click on the face of someone in the title history, you’ll see from their profile page whether they had a liege when they died.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
You can also pay your head of faith gold for piety if “seek indulgences” is available on them.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Anyone here play the Rhomaioi mod? I started a 867 Kameteros game in Crimea, but since it and Zaporizhia are not de jure part of the empire I didn’t really get to do any interactions with the extra stuff until I took the empire for myself in a “Usurper” war 300 years later. I really like the new government type. But I’m not really sure, now that I’m emperor, how interactions with the senate work. Aside from the option for disbanding them for 10,000 prestige.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Just and honest are the worst traits. Give me some mega bonus for having to act like a saint lest I have a mental break

The super bonus is generating tons of piety for money and claims when there’s a spiritual head. I got tons of cash and claims for 30 years straight from the same orthodox patriarch until he croaked at age 94 cuz he loved me so much.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
The rhomaioi mod has a “theme” special contract that allows you to call vassals into external wars as allies, but it didn’t seem to be working as intended. Could be nice for the proper Byz expansion tho.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Serephina posted:

Ah well. What's a fun, underpowered start that suits intrigue and engages with mature systems? That probably means being a christian count and respecting the pope, which I'm fine with - I was hoping to try and lead Byzantium into mending the schism from afar, but I don't have to be Greek to do that.

edit: or just stay with my Spartan game and do something different than 'get big'?

You could try the duke of Graz in the 1066 start. I had a lot of fun with intrigue with that start.

I got Canute the greater this weekend. I managed it with one of Harald Fairhair’s younger sons who inherited all three kingdoms at age 42 and lived to age 75, so I got it by 949 AD. He was a drunkard so i had to kit him out in learning and focus on medicine the whole time. I was probably just a few weeks away from filling out all three trees before he died.
I would’ve loved to keep playing if I hadn’t forgotten to give Scandinavian election to the duchy of Viken where I’d been basing myself.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Started as duke of Barcelona to try to make a hybrid culture in that little corner of Iberia and you can’t diverge or hybridize cultures if you’re French in the 867 start because it diverged from Frankish too recently. I should’ve had my Occitan mother convert my culture as a kid…

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Louis the Stammerer died in my Barcelona run and his grandson inherited K of Aquitaine. I started an independence faction so I could take the kingdom of Aragon decision and even though I was the only member and my military difference wasn’t that much over 100%, he gave in without a fight, so that was pretty nice and unexpected.

It was cool going through the first 45 years slowly introducing myself to the court mechanics as a vassal, and then finally holding court for myself after becoming an independent kingdom.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Dorkopotamis posted:

Speaking of cool traditions: what are we all liking?

I enjoy the combo of Philosopher Culture and Warrior Priests. I tend to neglect martial trees and focus on learning anyway. This pair makes my learned family members and even priests very effective commanders and knights.

Linguists gives a big bonus to fabricating claims commensurate to your learning. By the time I unlocked it, the estimated time to complete for the court chaplain was down to 6 months.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
No it’s not just you, compassionate is hard to play around.

Abdication is also an option if you’re stressed enough. I inherited a sub kingdom as a 11-yo girl with an older uncle fellow vassal sub-king as heir. I got an event while in level 3 of stress that offered abdication and clicked it, but the now-niece still died 3 years later or so of being too stressed.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

How are u posted:

Europe never really came together, so far, in this game. It's been fun watching Venice dominate Italy for the last 70 years, though.

I've actually been seeing this a lot in my games too. Half the time it's because I'm helping them along though.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

If I have to click on the guy to see who he is, the event isn't meaningful and shouldn't exist.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Got Brave and Bold after just a little over 300 years. Then I realized I was already halfway to True Tolerance without even trying.

Krstjani is a chill religion to convert to, especially from paganism. I should probably reform it to make witchcraft legal since I've got a coven, but at least it's just shunned in the main faith in the meantime.

Kinda funny how much my ruler looks like me IRL. Probably since my ancestors came from Pomerania, although it was German at the time. My GGG-granpa's wife's father's first name was "Bogislaw" though, and he would've been born around 1800.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Got Wily As The Fox last night. 1250 so pretty late, since King Turstin sat on his hands throughout the 1100s while Byz was still swole and I refused to do the swear fealty eat within strategy.
Now that I’ve broken in, maybe I can get Frankokratia on this same save. But I also really want to try for Beta Israel. Wish me luck on remembering to re-tick religious revocation for every new ruler.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Serephina posted:

giving everyone free CBs against all their neighbors for multiple counties per shot is pretty bad & broken,

Most of the time you’re actually force vassalizing in struggle wars, unless it’s a county held by a noble who has other counties anyway. Certain phases also constrain struggle wars to just one county or raise its prestige price to declare.

I’m not sure what everyone’s deal is with unite the thrones. I did it as Castile without any problems. I only needed to culture convert one county from asturleonese to Castilian. I *wish* I had the de jure drift speeds I guess you’re all seeing

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I don’t think I’ve ever seen dull, and incapable maybe once or twice in 1000 hrs. Before that I thought it was only used for historic figures. Definitely seen my share of imbeciles though.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Ck3 is better but I still miss Sons of Abraham especially the college of cardinals, and the Byz mechanics.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Just formed Kingdom of Bosnia for the first time with the Belojevics and the shade of emerald green you get is so good :yoshi:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Doesn’t affect gameplay but your coat of arms and nickname will differ when forming the North Sea empire depending on the religion and government system you have when triggering it.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Just formed Kingdom of Bosnia for the first time with the Belojevics and the shade of emerald green you get is so good :yoshi:

Byz just won a massive de jure war on me after I inherited the K. of Sardinia :stare:

Then he gave me all my core Bosnian demesne back along with all my vassals, so it’s almost like the AI meant to declare a forced vassalization war all along :shrug: Good thing I could chill in Cagliari in the meantime instead of game over.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

As a Catholic, is there any way to get to pick my own archbishops while remaining Catholic? It's obnoxious, but not enough for me to feel the need to go full Martin Luther and schism the whole loving religion over it or anything.

Best case scenario for replacing your court chaplain as a Catholic is finding an imprisonment reason, since you can then banish them and take their gold. Sometimes they’re holding a few thousand of it.
Otherwise you can eat the tyranny and imprison them for no reason.

Either way, the position will be auto-filled after imprisonment. So no there is no way to put your theocracy vassal in the role like you could in CK2. This game desperately needs a Sons of Abraham update.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

Any tricky ways with hooks or lifestyle perks or really anything to get a bite at a Kingdom-level title in a single war? England is shockingly weak right now and I want it, but the Pope won't let me invade because I'm already King of Ireland and something something being greedy, shut up stupid Pope, as soon as I'm Emperor of Albia I'm making my own faith and its tenets are I Can Do What I Want.

Even with the Buy Claim learning tenet, you won't be able to buy a kingdom claim if you're already a king. But if you're only a duke or count and have 1000 piety to spare, it'll work.

CapnAndy posted:

e: one more question -- am I reading how Court Language works correctly? If the game shows me that High German is +11 grandeur as a court language, I get 11 grandeur added to my court even if neither I, nor any of my courtiers, nor any of my subjects, speaks High German?

That is correct. In my Bosnia game I switched my court language to Greek for a while since it was like +10 more grandeur than my native language (like +11 vs. +1). Maybe 100 years later or so I checked back in and saw that Serbo-Croatian was giving like +2.5, and Greek had gone down to around +2, so I switched back to my culture's native language. I can't seem to find any tooltips on those calculations though. I'd guess it has something to do with comparative cultural realm size.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Taear posted:

I got the "win the iberian struggle aggressively" achievement and it's only 0.7% even though essentially it's just "conquer Iberia". Man.

Also they really need to loving sort the AI out. It's been too long now where kingdoms/empires are mega unstable and I really blame the partition laws. This doesn't apply to the Byzantines who are always fine but if I start in the earliest start date the likelyhood of ANY other AI empires existing other than the byzantines by say 1200 is super mega low. I had a Francia once, I think - and even then only because I helped them out.
It feels like this started whenever it was that they fixed the "sweden/gardariki conquers the world" problem early days of the game

It’s 1360 in my 867 Bosnia game and Umayyads have most of Iberia and all of Morocco and west Africa and can field over 100k levies. They did a compromise struggle ending which resulted in the Umayyads getting an empire, and K. of Leon turning into an empire around Galicia and Asturias. But they ate Leon afterward anyway and are moving into Aquitaine.

Arabs have the entire Arabian peninsula and all of Ethiopia. Egypt is separate though.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Quarrelsome is a nice shortcut to conquest CBs that cost next to nothing and don’t require claims.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Mirthless posted:

I think that preventing this sort of behavior is part of why Catholicism historically caught on in the first place. A religious doctrine ostensibly centered around compassion and turning the other cheek would have been immensely popular at a time when most people were born directly into servitude, anything that keeps the duke from making war is good for the peasantry

And then the bonus to the ruling class is that it replaces the pagan pantheon with an allegory of centralized authority.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Another advantage to landing your children/heir is that they build lifestyle trees and can get finishing traits. Unlanded characters can’t do that. It sucks to inherit as a 45-year-old man and only then get to start building out a lifestyle tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Buschmaki posted:

Does anyone know what influences the name of titles characters have and have like, a list handy? I mean like how there's Emperor, Basileus, and Kaiser. Is it heritage, language, or court language?

There used to be one on the CK wiki but it’s gone now. Culture and religion influence it, mostly character culture I think. I don’t think a German ruler of Bosnia or Croatia would call themselves Ban, but I’m not sure.