Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

This looks like it going to be so good. Doesn't look like they have the warrior lodges anymore, going to miss those from ck2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Swedish Horror posted:

Who is everyone planning to start as? Might do good ol' tutorial Ireland to get a feel for the new mechanics and then do a count in the HRE.

If you do Ireland, play as the Norse count of Dublin in 867, it's a lot more fun than anyone else on the island.

I'll probably start as Árpád, because event troops make everything easier when you're trying to figure out what the hell is going on.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Schnitzler posted:

Not sure if I was the only one confused by this, so I am posting it:
If your main duchy has their own title succession laws, even if they are identical to the ones of your kingdom, the counties within the duchy are split between your heirs.

You can remove these seperate laws for no cost.

Which means you main duchy titles get passed on to your primary heir and are no longer broken up.

I do think this is mentioned in the tutorial, but I did not really understand it until I noticed that my fully owned duchy would be split on succession, as shown in the screenshots above.

Can you do this with the special decision enabled succession laws for your top title, like Tanistry or Scandinavian Elective? When I took those decisions, they only changed my kingdom title, and not any of the lesser ones. I had no idea that button was there, so if I could get rid of gavelkind for the duchies/counties and just have the top level tanistry apply to everything that would be ideal.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

As the count of Trier, I'm not an elector in the HRE, and neither is my liege. Is it because I'm not a direct vassal of the Emperor? The list of Princely Electors says that Trier is one of them.

Also, the Palace of Aachen is really nice, and Aachen is quickly turning into the highest development county in western Europe. By the end of my first ruler's life, it was giving me almost 5 gold a month by itself.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Eimi posted:

Well given my ck3 saves all inevitably fail to work

Disable cloud saves, it should help. They also cause the game to take forever to actually close (same thing happens with Stellaris), and there is no benefit for most people. I play on multiple computers, but I have different games going on each; it's easier and more stable than trying to use cloud saves and dealing with the jankyness.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

tqilamknbrd posted:

hot drat i’d really appreciate a character finder in the starting lobby

This would be so useful.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

- Fixed taking someone's primary title sometimes unlanding them entirely even though they should still have vassals to steal a county from

Sounds like it's intended behavior for vassals to steal their vassals' titles, which is dumb and not how ck2 worked.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Some things in this game are just :psyduck:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Magil Zeal posted:

(I think it's Golden Obligations that sets your ransom amount equal to the amount you get for Demand Payment?).

I haven't seen that, but it would make that perk even more OP than it already is.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Started as the count of Dagon in 867, and within 2 years I had 1400 raiders from Sjaelland pillaging me. Dagon is literally the furthest possible coastal province from Denmark, and he had to have started sailing day 1 to go pillage me.

He captured a couple of my kids, and I couldn't ask him for a ransom because he was out of diplo range. I feel like maybe the AI should stick to raiding with diplo range, since not being able to get my sons back was super unhelpful.

Thankfully despite the learning education, my count really liked to produce kids:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

CommunityEdition posted:

I will counter your mod by putting all Ragnarssons into a single dynasty.

I'm surprised that they didn't get made as individual houses of an overarching dynasty.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Shy/Paranoid/Ambitious is the absolute worst combination. Hiring a court physician to deal with a smallpox outbreak gave me an entire bar worth of stress.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Magil Zeal posted:

The only option in response is to stack as much -%stress gain as possible, such as with Confidents. Though that trait combination is absolutely awful.

Yeah, I tried making friends, but each friend would generate enormous amounts of stress. Ended up abdicating for my son when I hit 300 stress after preventing him from getting shy while educating him.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I really wish it would save your game rules for the next game you start.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

PancakeTransmission posted:

Also, what the gently caress are the vikings doing in the far east of the map? It makes no sense that they would sail all the way past India to raid...

I posted about that a couple of days ago, the same rear end in a top hat showed up less than 2 years into the game when I was playing as the count of Dagon. I think it's because it's rich and the starting tech level sucks, so garrisons are small.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

I am having fun with it, and also always play on Ironman, without actively taking advantage of bugs and exploits, so YMMV.

It's not quite as in-depth as CK2 was at the end just yet, but they are obviously going to add to it with DLCs and such.

Yeah, I always play Ironman because I don't have to worry about saving the game when I have to quit suddenly because my boss is walking over to me.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

VostokProgram posted:

Can anyone give me some pointers on how to play as a 1-province count in the HRE? I'm trying to recreate Wiz's Hohenzollern LP. I found Friedrich von Hohenzollern and made him count of Zollern, how do I grow and take over Swabia and eventually the HRE?

Since you're going to be playing nearby, your early focus should be taking either Göttingen or Innsbruck as soon as you can afford the claim & war. Göttingen is better, but Innsbruck is closer to Zollern. They both have unique mining buildings that will give you a crazy amount of money early on, in addition to increasing the development of the respective counties.

Before unpausing, change your feudal contract to get guaranteed council rights and forced partition succession. Because of tech you're going to be stuck in partition for a long time anyway, so you're not giving anything up for the +2 gold/month for being your liege's steward.

Once you own Göttingen you'll be making +7 gold/month just from that county + being your liege's steward. This will let you afford a bunch of MAA much earlier than your neighbors, making the rest of Swabia trivial to consolidate.

There are a couple more unique buildings near Göttingen like the Aachen palace and the Cologne Cathedral, or if you want to move south you can pretty easily form Switzerland.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Blimpkin posted:

Really, really wish I could have Ironman be turned on by default every single time I start a new game. Just united the Spanish Kingdoms under Urraca, by murdering every single person ahead of her. Took Barcelona, took Andalusia in a Crusade, took Badajoz, went to save, and Ironman was turned off. A good practice run I guess, but I'll probably never have that kind of luck again.

I really hate that it doesn't remember your settings at all. I always want random Mongols and Hungarians, which every single time I start a game I have to scroll through the settings to reenable.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Personally though I think I've played myself out of this game now. All the insanity around religion, and the AI's complete incompetence at warfare (I have watched my liege suicide his army into fights where he greatly outnumbered like 5 times tonight) is just too much to handle.

I can live with that for the most part, the thing that is really getting me is my dynasty not doing matri-marriages with daughters in the line of succession. I can live with the AI not doing it for random dynasties, but for the player dynasty they should always do matrilineal marriages for any daughters/sisters that can inherit. In the game I'm working on now, I've lost so many random duchies and counties out of my dynasty because the AI never does any by default. We even lost the Catholic Aquitaine kingdom that I won for us in the first Crusade, because the daughter of the beneficiary inherited, and had a normal marriage to a random courtier.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

ThatJesus posted:

Actually, what would make this game even better is a set of dynasty "laws" you can set...

Like spend prestige as the dynasty head to prefer matrilineal marriages or alliance marriages, or maybe set a broad lifestyle focus. Something to influence the AI dynasty members to fall in line with your overall goals.

That would be really nice, I agree.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Guest posted:

I once got a game over because of this. My starting ruler had the lustful trait and an intrigue focus set to seduction, so his fertility was super high. He had a daughter for his starting heir, but I figured whatever, I'll be having so many kids there'll definitely be a son eventually, so I married her off for an alliance. 11 daughters later I'm in full panic mode, seducing every fertile woman I can and claiming every bastard. I've gone through 3 different wives at this point, the one of which I murdered because by then I was a known adulterer so the Pope wouldn't grant me a divorce. Finally I get a son, but he's a sickly hemophiliac who doesn't make it to his 1st birthday. My ruler dies and my eldest daughter inherits, she has 3 sons of a different dynasty and is too old to have any more children, so when she dies it's game over. I basically got the full Henry VIII experience, except at least his lovely son outlived him.

And now you've learned rule number 1, always do a matrilineal marriage for your daughters.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

PancakeTransmission posted:

Is the pikeman/heavy footman combo still OP after the nerf?

I don't know if it's as crazy as it was, but in 1080 my 3200 pikemen/heavies had no problem taking on the levy+MaA combo of both Francia and Germania while I pushed my claim on the throne. They were constantly throwing 10-12k stacks into my guys and losing. I don't have all the duchy buildings or county buildings to buff them, but they are still pretty beefy.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Veryslightlymad posted:

Could someone with more knowledge of programming/save editing please tell me why there's not a "change realm color" mod on the workshop? If it's easy to save edit, shouldn't that imply adding the function to the game should only be a step or so harder?

I know very, very little about these things so I could be very obviously wrong, but I would like to know.

You would have to create a mod that has a decision to change color, which then creates a new dynamic title with the appropriate color to replace your existing one. It would then need to copy de jure vassals/liege, title history, title laws, claimants, etc. It's a relatively complex set of actions, so I'm guessing no one has bothered to create it.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Steely Dad posted:

What happens if an OPM count dies with no heir? Does the game magic up a new count, like with the CK2 create baron button?

It magics up a new count with a new court. It's pretty easy to test in debug mode, start in 867 and kill off everyone in Haestein's court, and then kill him and his son. It'll generate a new count, with 11-13 people in their court.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Some really nice changes there, the army attachment is a huge one for me. There are times where I'd like to help allies out, but I'm busy with something else and don't want to deal with armies on two sides of the map at once. Being able to put 2k levies on follow for an AI to help them with battles/sieges, and then forget about them would be a really nice feature.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Which is true again I think, Picchieri are crazy good, right up there with Chasseurs.

I personally think Konni are better than Chasseurs, because you get them in the tribal era instead of high medieval, and they trade 10 damage for 10 pursuit and 25 screen. More battle phase damage is always nice, but pursuit damage counts for a lot more (0.03 vs 0.17), while the screen is extremely helpful when you end up over your head in a fight.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

That looks really cool, and I'm glad it's coming on Tuesday.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

ilitarist posted:

As I understand Ruler Designer doesn't have a point cap now. So you won't be able to get achievements but most hard achievements are probably locked from using ruler designer anyway.

It has a soft cap that if you stay under you are eligible for achievements, but there is no hard cap preventing you from making a 99 stat ruler.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Just playing with no combatant men at arms would probably make the game real difficult.

Only if you also do no mercs, since they always have a bunch of MaAs, including cultural ones. It's pretty easy to get to the point of being able to keep a couple of mercs on retainer, which is even easier if you don't spend any money on your own MaA.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Dwesa posted:

You can also raid for captives if you have human sacrifices tenet.

You also need to be independent (or at least as of 1.1 you did).

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The first game I start in 1.2 I kind of want to start as Roman culture, because the Palatini unique heavy infantry looks stupidly powerful and fun to play with. Shame it's a late medieval tech though, but at least by then I'd have the economy to support a 180 gold unit.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Asehujiko posted:

How do I generate more women of my religion and culture if I'm starting as somebody extinct like Hellenic? I can get a few men from summoning champions but I don't see a similar way to spawn women. Am I entirely reliant on converting foreigners?

Doctor decision will generate random characters with a high chance of being your religion/culture as well. If you marry your champions to random people you'll have a large group by the next generation. I usually find whatever women have good inheritable traits regardless of age to marry them to, so I get more traits in my court.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Interesting bug now that you can start with a culture that doesn't have any land: A random tech will get chosen as the focus, and it can be anything, including every regional. I decided to start as English, and the initial tech focus was Wootz Steel, which is going to be really nice in 35 years when it finishes. I haven't cultured converted any counties, since I'm pretty sure that will make it realize there aren't any English culture provinces in India.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

If you don't have any armies raised, or none within a dozen provinces, they'll happily fight battles and siege capitals. It's when you bring your troops in near that they try and support you, and it gets a little wonky sometimes. I've had them hang out a province away and siege while I'm also sieging, and then come join in if a fight happens. I've also had them sit there and watch me lose a close battle that we would have won if they joined in.

I think it might get worse the longer any given game session goes on?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Mune, the bug where your spymaster can snitch on himself is still around in 1.2.1:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

scaterry posted:

You can also play one of the cultures that gets house seniority or high partition early, like czech or occitan.

Czech is easy mode as a culture start, and highly recommended for anyone who wants to try a blobbing game. The early single heir succession combined with a good tribal era MaA leads to some really easy consolidation.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The ruler designer letting you start with the prerequisites for the Strengthen Bloodline + Witch Coven decisions right from the start is amazing, and also kind of broken. Especially if you play one of the religions that accepts witches, like most of the Eastern ones do.

I personally like Vaishnavism, because it has a 2/3rds chance of giving you the wise man trait on a pilgrimage, it makes that trait a virtue, and once you have it you can have a Mystical Communion every 5 years which gives you 1/3rd of a learning perk. You can also choose a Bhakti for free whenever you want, but you probably want to stick with the -33% stress + bonus health as you get older, or the +10% taxes & +20% stewardship xp early on.

Witch Coven gives you a random full free perk every 10 years + bonus health/fertility, while Strengthen Bloodline gives you bonus health + better traits.

All combined together, and your first ruler is going to live to be really old.

This was from 5 years before I died, you can see all the stacking health bonuses:

By the time the 1 year warning popped up my starting character was 89:

By the time I died, my 53 year old grandson was my heir, since so many of my kids had already croaked.

Beautiful + Hale + Quick is the cheapest way at 260 points. If you play with bisexual preference, Beautiful/Hale is a +35 opinion bonus for most people. Also, Sayyid for only 25 points is probably too good, since it's another inheritable +5 opinion.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Trevor Hale posted:

I really wish there was a “loving try me” button when those pop up. Though I suppose that’s just what imprisonment is for but I’d love something like the diplomacy check where you can neg someone or go “how dare you speak back to your liege!”

I want to see a faction form, and I hit a button that is essentially “gently caress around and find out”

That would be really nice actually. Sometimes I want that populist revolt to kick off now, not in 18 months when I'll be balls deep in another war.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

I was trying to kill this dude and learned that one of his courtiers is a cannibal, but she left his court and is now just wandering around. Not sure how to use this strong hook now. Can I use it to invite her to be my courtier, then marry her into a target's court so she'll go there, and make her an agent in a scheme?

Theoretically that would work, but only if she moves to his court; a fair chunk of the time when I'm trying to marry off an unwanted courtier like that, the husband moves to my court instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I didn't realize the mystic treatment could make you a cannibal. I didn't even lose the disease, just got no symptoms for 5 years.