Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How likely is this to be easier to grasp as a newbie vs CK2? CK2 confused me to no end and this is as someone who figured out the inscrutable ways of EU4 and HOI4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Just bought this, having an absolute ball. My main character is gay, which I just discovered after an unhappy marriage. How do I marry another dude? All I see are women in my marriage selection.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Man how much am I missing out on by playing as little tribal “nations” in Siberia and sub-Saharan Africa

Does causal raiding by friendly neighbors still happen there? I’m doing decent at this game but my squabbling neighbors are being picked off one by one by this horse horde to my east.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I keep getting my rear end kicked in wars. Before I start a war, ill check and see if the opposing army is inferior, which it usually is. Then they'll suddenly bring a murder stack out of nowhere and bulldoze me? What gives?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

cohsae posted:

Allies joining the war?

That happened a few times but even in isolation its still happening. Is the force number what the opposing nation has at the moment, or is it their potential capacity?

This is my first real CK experience so maybe im glossing over some unspoken mechanics of the former games.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
How punishing is it to ignore calls to war? I know its pretty bad in EU4, HOI4. I get called to multiple wars quite often, and it leaves me comically exposed to someone coming in and taking everything.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Some involved questions:

Having trouble playing this because i think im still in the EU4 mindset. Is painting the map your color still the goal? Is it possible to play "tall"? Succession confuses me because im supposedly supposed to have my heir keep as many titles as possible, but also I should be giving vassals and advisors titles too so they're happy and not murderous with me. Does it matter who really has the titles so long as this kingdom, whatever it is, stays united?

followup: is there a good youtube series which answers these sorts of things? Don't mind if they're LPs as well, I just have so many questions that would probably be answered by seeing people play while explaining why they're killing their failsons and how that benefits the heir.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Is it possible/reasonable to keep land under my direct control from one ruler to the next? Seems like over the generations, the amount of land actually under my direct control becomes lower and lower.

Also, is it possible to have vassals like in mount & blade where I can call them to war when needed? It seems like vassals and allies are two different things, which throws me off because I thought vassals were always obliged to go to war with me in exchange for me handing them land?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Keep getting boned by succession. I die, then suddenly my realm splits into two and then everyone declares war on me specifically. Is there a way to prevent that? I went through 3 generations just fine but suddenly something happened and I get dogpiled.

Also why do I have trouble raising levies at times? Sometimes i'll be stuck at 400 levies, getting 1-2 per month, when my cap is like 4400. What gives?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

That's gavelkind for you. It was the predominant inheritance law in Europe for most of the middle ages actually, and it's the law you start with in both of the game starts (called 'partition' in-game). For an example, if your top tier of title is a duchy and you hold multiple duchies, they will be split between your heirs. Your recourse here is to either only have one heir, or to scramble to create a higher-tier title so at least the realm stays together. If a realm split does happen, you get claims on all the lost titles, so it doesn't usually take too long to get them back.

Always keep an eye on succession by going to the Realm interface (the crown icon on the right) and then the succession tab. It lets you preview exactly what will happen when your current character dies. Note that the stuff your heirs get is not set in stone. They'll want more stuff as your realm expands, and if you hand them titles in life that reduces their inheritance accordingly. The exact titles they get doesn't matter. They just want X number of them and the succession preview simply shows what the algorithm will decide. You can give them different titles and they'll still be happy.

As for the levies thing, I'm not sure what you mean. You mean just letting your levies recover while not raised? I've seen that happen too and it seems like it's a bug. Raising your levies and then disbanding them once they're all assembled tends to restart the levy replenishment for me. Try that.

Thanks homie. This was extremely helpful.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Were all these inheritance mysteries part of CK2 because family trees and inheritance are so confusing to me that I can't imagine them even more so.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
How do I get allies which I can call into wars? I get marriages and alliances that way, but rarely can I convince people to help me out.

e: goddamn this game is hard. all my vassals suddenly demanded independence as soon as my successor took over.they were fine beforehand, did i miss anything?

buglord fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Sep 13, 2020

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I’m having a lot of fun with creating hooks. Murdering is a ball too, but it’s been great shutting down internal rebellions by bringing up the West African version of pee tapes to convince my vassals to behave. We’re Ghana be having a great time.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
How do I use condoms in this game? 2 kids is fine, maybe 3. I don't have the heart to find ways to drown my kids either. Succession is wildly strange to me and I think kids are making it worse.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Dorkopotamis posted:

Bohemia: give it a try.

How in the world do I not get strangled in the crib in the first 3 years? (3 because thats the longest I got before getting declared on by a monolithic neighbor). No real opportunity to find decent alliances, or to do anything really to prepare myself for a defensive war.

e: is it just rerolling until I get lucky?

buglord fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 17, 2020

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Popoto posted:

Marry for powerful alliances, all the time. Fertility is good just because it allows for more marriages. As soon as someone is out the womb BAM i bethrove it to the most powerful ally possible in range.

Ended up allied with Italy and West Francia soon enough (this is all once catholics). If you mean getting attacked by east francia: just sway them to have a positive opinion of you. Helps not getting declared upon.

edit/ also don't do this in ironman unless you like restarting a lot.

Is there any way to change my religion fast? I don't see it in the decisions menu but im sure there's a way to force myself into catholicism.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Tallhemia is a fun playthrough, although im like twice the size now with no direct intervention on my behalf, somehow. Its 1015 and I have more development than Paris and Venice by single digits. Also because of my relative stability in a continent of chaos, i've begun trying to make a dynasty of giants which is possibly the funniest trait to me, because a few of these guys almost go beyond the character portrait.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
So for those who have been playing way longer than I have, how wild does the random character creation get? How Monster Factory can we get?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Azhais posted:

That's what happens when you only pet them once every 5 years

thanks for making me laugh aloud with this

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
How do I best destabilize a neighboring empire? It’s 1200 and Byzantium is gigantic. I killed like 4 emperors in a row and it hasn’t burst into a lot of tiny pieces like I did with kingdoms.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Can we compact/merge these two images and put them in the OP because holy moly if this isn't a reason to play this game idk what is.

buglord fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 20, 2020

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

eleven extra elephants posted:

I have literally always been caught by my wife in the infidelity pregnancy event to have your spymaster spy on her despite it being 90% success, i'm talking like 10 times, is it bugged or am I just that unlucky

I think it’s bugged. I can’t remember if it was pregnancy related or not but despite having 95% success on snooping discretely, I’ve always been caught.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Getting a little tired of all 20 of my landed vassals starting poo poo each time the ruler dies. I inherited the empire of Mali as a woman which pissed off a lot of people, on top of the usual malus for having a short rein and my father being a gigantic murderous dick to everyone. I get like, three subsequent independence rebellions one after another as the former one gets resolved. I somehow pull a rabbit out of my hat and pacify everyone with a white peace since overextending myself is a real threat. Once everyone was calmed down I magically became obese and then died a day later, which was kind of funny. Less funny is that all the usual suspects are sharpening their knives again so I'll very likely be doing this process over again.

Also for whatever reason, all my vassal contributions are 0 now, so im stuck with 2k levies, down from 18k. There's no way to get them back before these strings of wars hit right? Am I supposed to roll with the punches with these things, am I playing it wrong by quitting as soon as im forced into becoming a vassal?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Magil Zeal posted:

Are you tribal? If so your vassal contributions are based on your fame rank, so start earning prestige to get them back. And you shouldn't be scared of becoming a vassal, you should have claims on your former titles (at least, in most cases I believe this is true) and can try to get them back when you're ready.

I declared a war without any prestige so I went to the negative level. That's about when the levies vanished :rolleye:

e: Guess ill try my life as a vassal then, thanks!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
kinda wish dying from aging wasnt so sudden. unless you get that one perk which gives you a 1 year heads up, it seems silly to straight up croak with little context.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Does losing weight work? My character is obese and ive been having him attempt to lose weight and avoiding feasts. He's still a blimp though.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
How do I avoid the situation where my current heir isn’t part of my dynasty? This seems to happen every time I convert to a custom religion with equal gender laws/norms. It’s pretty frustrating and I can’t really tell where along the line I made the “mistake” of proposing a marriage which would result in a non dynasty heir.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Any cool lifestyle focus trees-branches which are hidden gems?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Sold. I gotta try that out lol.

Is there a way to paint your religion across the map? I wanna see if I can have the whole old world become nudist sex-crazed festival-havers.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
anything in the patch notes about making the Feast sound effect less awful?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Idk if this will change with the patch but it’s kind of fun committing suicide by way of stress. Love making my Shy ruler become insane, howling at the moon at night, because I gave him the horrific task of trying to be friendly with his councilors. Ditto with my greedy rear end in a top hat rulers drinking themselves to death because i forced them to give a pittance of gold to lowborn neighbors.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Anyone know if Brighter Portraits is compatible with 1.1? I initially figured it would be but with the stealth UI change now im not so sure.

e: Also how in the world are there so many fleshed out mods already? It kinda blows my mind. Is it just some port from CK2?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Am I handicapping myself by not creating Dutchy titles? I have the opportunity to create 39 of them. A have a zillion kingdoms to my name though. Byzantine Empire, if it matters.

Also, how in the world do I manage 60 vassal limit while not losing land when a vassal dies? Im not quite sure how I grant vassals to other vassals without shooting myself in the foot.

buglord fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 30, 2020

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Noticed my heir wasn't creating babies with his beautiful wife I gave him. Turns out he's homosexual. I have sex with his wife instead but can't seem to produce a kid. Neglected to notice she just turned 50. Before her mangled corpse had time to be buried, I gave my son another beautiful, much younger wife. Still no dice after a few years. I hopped in bed with the new wife and it seems like my son is none the wiser that the new wife he never had sex with also gave birth his child. Or maybe hes just cool with me solving a problem so he wouldn't have to?

Also I propose that there should be an icon which depicts the fertility level of a couple. But the icon should be 💦, and instead of blue it should be white, but instead of white droplets it should be white teardrop shaped rabbits. 3 tear drop rabbits for high fertility, 2 for medium, 1 for low.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
on that note, how do I make crusades end faster? The AI is more than happy to keep them going when their side has a total of 6k troops and our side has 70k and we've been walloping them in every battle for almost a decade now. I get the idea that they're supposed to be longer than your usual holy war or standard duchy claim war, but its annoying when it seems to persist for no real reason.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Taear posted:

Also trying to win a holy war when someone's capital is far away absolutely sucks - I killed army after army after ARMY and took all the territory but getting to their capital without starving was so much bother eventually I just surrendered because it was too much work.

Yeah warfighting in this game is incredibly tedious for me, especially now that I’m a gigantic purple blob on the map. I’m really growing to hate the whack-a-mole games I’m having to play with a vastly outnumbered enemy with a lot of little armies. I hoped it would have been left behind in EU4.

Are there any mods or subtle game mechanics that automate the movement of armies?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Besides Bohemia, what are some good tall countries in 867? Also some nice vassal starts? I tired playing as a vassal in the UK and got gobbled up by my neighbor who had 100 extra soldiers than me.

Also, can anyone here sell me on the vampires mod?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Red Crown posted:

What's the post launch consensus on buying CK3 if you've never played CK2? It sounds like CK3 is a major leap forward, but did it release as a buggy mess?
I tried CK2 near the end and there was way too much going on for me to piece things together. The new "hover to discover" tooltip thing they got going on answers a LOT of questions I wouldn't have had the patience to google, and the UI is all around very clean for a Pdox game. Also all the characters having 3D models instead of clay-faced portraits really adds to the engagement you feel with the game, more than you'd think.

I'd say now is probably the best time to jump into the franchise. If you want to take a less risky route, its also available for Xbox Gamepass for PC I think its $9.99 a month and has the added benefit of having a lot of other games to play for that month in case you bounce off of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Its always weird to me when the people who have max negative opinion of me arent usually the ones plotting my death. its usually some courtier or tiny vassal who is only mildly dissatisfied with me.